Next Gen...To buy or not just yet?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TurboGraphix
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

Sup people. I wanted to hear your opinion on if it's worth to buy the next gen this holiday season. I've had a 360 for a while, but only 1 or 2 next gen only titles capture my interest. Will the Current gen still have a strong online community and support from devs for a little more time? What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Justin

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

They are not worth the premium. They are both rushed and the games are painfully limited. If you hold off, you not only save money but your overall experience would be more refine than this rush to the market mess.

Avatar image for Danyawesomsauce
Danyawesomsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Danyawesomsauce
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts

If I were you, I'd wait for a while and see how both consoles do after launch and then make your decision.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Waitning is the smart move, buying at laucnh is the fun move.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

If you can wait than wait.

I already held out on numerous ps3 titles (BF4,AC4, FIFA 14) that I really want to play but I will be getting those on day 1 with ps4 so I simply can't wait.

Plus I have the money saved up already, put away, so that my wallet will not take a big hit.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TurboGraphix

Yeah I wanted to get Ghosts,AC4 for ps4..but I think I'll just get it for current gen, then start off ps4 with a next gen built title. I think I may just wait until next year, I'm just hoping people will still be on xbox live on 360. More thoughts are welcome, looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks,

Justin

Avatar image for deactivated-584419ec3a052
deactivated-584419ec3a052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-584419ec3a052
Member since 2012 • 333 Posts

Luckily I have a PC but I plan on getting a PS4 as well. I'm going to hold off until next year. It will have received more fixes by then, I'm hoping will be cheaper, and there will be a bigger selection of games, too.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm waiting until next year because I have more than enough games to play as it is right now, and more to buy before getting a PS4.

pcty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By pcty
Member since 2008 • 367 Posts

@TurboGraphix: I'm definitely going to wait at least for the price drop. There is no real advantage on being an early adopter, there are too much uncertain things about this new generation in one year you will have a much larger catalogue of games a bigger community and more information to make a better decision.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Wait.

It should be cheaper and you should also know some games that are worth getting.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TurboGraphix

For me personally it's not about the price drop. I just don't want to have a console and not have any games to play that I'll be interested, especially if I'm spending a good amount of money for it. I see many of you are waiting which gives me faith that the online community will still be there for current gen. That was my main concern...and yes, I'm waitin for The Order 1886 personally. More opinions welcome, good discussion fellow gamers

- Justin

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

They aren't worth it at all right now. I believe the smart thing to do would be to wait. That way you'll have more games and less console problems.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@TurboGraphix said:

Sup people. I wanted to hear your opinion on if it's worth to buy the next gen this holiday season. I've had a 360 for a while, but only 1 or 2 next gen only titles capture my interest. Will the Current gen still have a strong online community and support from devs for a little more time? What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Justin

Honestly no its not worth it right now in terms of games to buy any of the new consoles. As it in terms of exclusive titles are quite dry.

But thats just right now and everyone knows they are going to get a console so why not get it in on the game right in at the beginning :) which one to buy is up to each person, there isn't anything on either right now that tips the balance , tho for me the indie support on ps4 tips it to a ps4.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Value is a very personal and very subjective thing. Is a bottle of scotch worth $80? It is to me, I like scotch. But it may not be to someone who prefers a different spirit or who doesn't like to drink. Just as an example.

If there aren't enough games that excite you, then you should absolutely hold off. Period. We can go round and round about tech specs and frame rates, terraflops and triangles, it's all meaningless if it isn't in service of a game that you really want to play. Hopefully something that really sets you ablaze.

I was planning to get a PS4 at launch after E3 and after the ONE-80 I was interested in the X1 as well. Both showed some games I was really eager to play. With so many delays though, I'm likely going to put off my PS4 until InFamous is on the market or maybe Christmas. I need to discuss gift options with my family. If they were looking for a gift for me, the PS4 would be ideal. I could get it for Christmas and play Black Flag and Killzone up until February.

The X1 has more software that I want on day one, so I'll still be getting that one for sure. But that isn't a decision I'd recommend to everyone. Dead Rising happens to be my favorite franchise so skipping it for even a month isn't something I'd choose to do. And Forza is my favorite racing game and routinely offers me many many hours of digital joy each time a new installment comes to market. Add in a new entry in one of my favorite fighting game franchises and a quirky Roman themed actioner and the lineup looks to have enough experiences going for it to really keep me playing and excited for a while.

But it's up to you to weigh the options and come to the conclusion. I'm certainly not going to try and sell you on a new one if you're not interested and I'm not going to try and talk you out of it if there are launch titles that are setting your pants on fire. Good luck deciding. :)

b4il

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By b4il
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts

i want one at launch, along with battlefield 4 and fifa 14, since i already sold my 360 a few weeks ago (i only have the wii u at the moment).

but i still can't decide wether it's going to be the ps4 or xbox one... i always liked my 360, preferred the controller, online worked without a flaw. but i'm not interested in kinect at all, the media and tv services won't be available for a long time in my country and it's more expensive. i prefer the exclusives, espacially halo and titanfall, on the one though... and the graphics comparison videos don't help me at all, i think both produce a nice image, although slightly different. it's gonna be a tough one...

mojoreb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mojoreb
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts

I will be getting next-gen but not on launch day. PS3 and Xbox 360 will still get support even after next-gen comes out

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Current gen still has plenty of steam left. I'm waiting at least a year from now to see next gen titles actually worth my money. I'm not a graphics whore so current gen counterparts are fine for me. Besides BF4 with 64 players on console, I haven't seen many next gen games worth getting hyped up for.Plus I still have a current gen backlog to play through.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts
@HipHopBeats said:

Current gen still has plenty of steam left. I'm waiting at least a year from now to see next gen titles actually worth my money. I'm not a graphics whore so current gen counterparts are fine for me.

This.

And I'm also waiting so next gen can sort out its initial problems first (because every gen has had its share of problems in the beginning). And there's not a whole lot of games currently available for next gen.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

im waiting till late 2014 till i make a purchase.. Unless you want to deal with potential hardware problems and a limited game selection then by all means buy one at launch.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

I'm waiting until next year because I have more than enough games to play as it is right now, and more to buy before getting a PS4.

I know I said this but I just might go to a local Wal Mart midnight release and see if I can get a walk-in PS4 next week since not many people shop there and they didn't take any pre-orders.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

This gen has felt dead to me for awhile. Bring me the uber gfx and uber next-gen games. Stuff like Planetside 2, BF4, and EQ: Next don't even remotely exist on the PS3 (24-player BF4 doesn't come close to comparison).

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

This gen has felt dead to me for awhile. Bring me the uber gfx and uber next-gen games. Stuff like Planetside 2, BF4, and EQ: Next don't even remotely exist on the PS3 (24-player BF4 doesn't come close to comparison).

You and me. I play mostly PC, but I like MP on consoles. BF4 will tide me over until Infamous.

gold_struck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 gold_struck
Member since 2013 • 64 Posts

@TurboGraphix: if you're waiting then its best for you as the prices are sure to drop and the current gen has many games left which has the replayable value and multiplayer and i'm one of those who is waiting for a few more months to wait and see the dust settle and enjoy the best of all

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i'll be getting a Xbox at launch but i'll still keep my 360 hooked up to my tv.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

far down the road I may get a ps4... but there is so little reason to right now so my thoughts would be to wait. I actually probably won't get one at all unless the kids want one

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

@TurboGraphix: As of right now? Nope, nothing really stands out to me at the moment. I would wait six to twelve months before I make a decision on a new system.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@sukraj said:

i'll be getting a Xbox at launch but i'll still keep my 360 hooked up to my tv.

Aw come on man. You've got that handy dandy patch through port on the X1. You should run the 360 through the X1. :)

I know we're all supposed to make fun of it or whatever, but I'm actually interested to see the X1 TV stuff as well as really interested in the fast snapping between apps and such. Looks cool to me. And the patch through port meaning I can have an extra HDMI on my old 2006 television is a good thing as well. Might not be as big of a deal next year when I get a new television, but for right now it looks like a nice additional feature.

LeftClick007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LeftClick007
Member since 2013 • 77 Posts

There are almost zero games that interest me that are exclusive to the next consoles, I wanted a PS4 but the only interest I have in it is to play Killzone, everything else is going to be on PC. And I've never bought a console just for one game, and in this case it would be almost $500 for one game..I just cant justify myself doing that.

Vambran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vambran
Member since 2005 • 1921 Posts

I don't see the price going down anytime soon. But if you can hold out for a few years you can mostly likely buy a upgraded system with more HD space for around the same price.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

Always best to wait, this time next year there will be more next-gen only games, any potential hardware issues will have been ironed out and there could even be a possible price cut. I still think PS3 and 360 will be getting heavily supported for the next couple of years though, so theres no need to rush into next gen if you don't want to.

Creeper6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Creeper6
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts

Let the guinea pigs (quick buying consumer) test it first, We all remember the red ring of death issues, They usually find flaws within the first year of release. If your willing to risk it and have the money then why not get one? I recommend the PS4 though.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TurboGraphix

Awesome to hear all the different opinions. It's interesting because some opinions are different as well. KI is the only game the only game that really got me amped for next gen but it's on the X1. Both systems are great, but I will most likely go with a ps4 unless another Gears is announced. (Reason why I bought 360 over ps3). As for now, I may rock with the 360 for a little bit longer until going to next gen. I still have to finish the AC series (mid way through brotherhood), and Ultra Street Fighter is only current gen as well.

Thanks for all the opinions, and views. Check my sig if u want to play any games on LIVE.

- Justin

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I'm going with the PS4 at launch just because we have had to wait a seemingly really long time since the beginning of last gen. Speaking of KI I can't seem to think of any fighting games being released for PS4? I'm super excited because the graphics are seemingly a substantial upgrade in my opinion. Kind of tired of looking at the same old system and slight increase in graphics plus I think the developers are excited to be able to step it up a notch and not be held back as much by a weak machine. The delay in Driveclub I think really threw a lot of people off. I for one was a little discouraged but I will go through with the purchase since it's a Christmas present to myself and I didn't get into current gen until way too late. I haven't seen a huge improvement lately with current gen so it was definitely time for a change. it's going to be a wonderful time for gaming! :)

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ShinjiEx
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts

Not worth it with most next gen games being ports and current gen having a decent library that's still growing

blob357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blob357
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I think I'm going to wait it out until they (hopefully) port some PS3 games onto PS4. Not many games that I want on PS4 because I'm more of a PC gamer but I really want to play some PS3 exclusive games such as the last of us.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I know I plan to get a PS4 and Wii U(X1 as well probably but more like 2015-16 for it just for exclusives) but not until summer, when some more games are out by then. I could get Wii U now(and might if there happens to be a good Black Friday deal/bundle or something) as it has a few games I want but decided there are other things I'd rather spend the money on this season. Right now the only PS4 exclusive I want is Resogun, so while I want the console there's no need to buy it yet. When The Order/Division/Destiny are out I'll have more reason to get one. (I know Destiny isn't exclusive to next gen but would rather have better online for it)