New survival horror from Longest Journey and Dreamfall dev

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

As reported by Eurogamer.

Draugen, in development for PC, Mac, Linux and next-gen consoles, is set in Norway's west coast, famous for its deep fjords and mountains. Oslo-based studio Red Thread described Draugen as a "dark and disturbing journey into the pitch black heart of Norwegian national romanticism, as seen through the eyes of an American nature photographer, botanist and entomologist".

Draugen is set in the early 1920s, in a remote fishing community where everyone has mysteriously vanished. The player explores the settlement, gathering clues and memories as you try to uncover the truth behind a terrible tragedy.

"From time to time, a woman in black can be spotted in the distance," Red Thread teases. "Who is she, and what is her connection to this place? Who is the little girl singing broken lullabies as the sky begins to darken? And when night falls, and those last few, precious drops of kerosene in the lamp feed a fragile, flickering flame, what hides out there in the darkness and in the cold, black sea?

"Discover the clues. Uncover the memories. Decipher the past. Survive the night."

The Longest Journey is one of my all-time favorite games so anything new by Ragnar Tornquist gets my immediate attention. The premise and the setting is pretty unique and interesting. Amnesia sure proved to be a highly influential game.

Your thoughts?

#2 Posted by Ish_basic (4031 posts) -

Pretty much all the press release has to say is "we did the Longest Journey" and I'll be there on day one. Dreamfall was good, but I think it lost something with its more "modern" (at that time) graphics. The fact that's it horror does add to the appeal.

#3 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i wasn't the biggest fan of the longest journey, but my gripes with that game had more to do with their interpretation of that genre. maybe survival horror will click more.

#4 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

They're working on this AND Dreamfall Chapters at the same time?

A little reassurance from their website:

I’m sure some of you are wondering how this might affect the development of Dreamfall Chapters.

The simple answer is: it won’t.

#5 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Never played Dreamfall, but this game sounds promising.

#6 Posted by AzelKosMos (34194 posts) -

It's coming to next gen consoles. I'll be all over this for my PS4.

#7 Edited by NightlyOne (318 posts) -

I have never played The Longest Journey, but I am aware that it gets positive marks from a lot of people. With that in mind plus being a fan of survival horror, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

#8 Edited by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

How is this survivor horror? Are there any gameplay details. Don't these guys mostly make non combat filled adventure games. Well I never played dreamfall maybe that had some combat.

#9 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Yes, yes. Let this surge of survival horror continue.

#10 Edited by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

How is this survivor horror? Are there any gameplay details. Don't these guys mostly make non combat filled adventure games. Well I never played dreamfall maybe that had some combat.

It's first-person adventure survival horror like Amnesia. Non-combat survival horror games like Amnesia are the only true survival horror games left. Stuff like Resident Evil and Dead Space are just action games masquerading as survival horror.

#11 Edited by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Survival horror was a term invented by capcom to describe RE, a real survival horror game is one like RE, it has adventure elements with combat. In time every horror game used the name survival horror cause it was so well known. If it does not have combat it is not survival horror, simple as that. It is a horror adventure game.

#12 Edited by Planeforger (15798 posts) -

I'd argue with some of the posts in this thread about which games were influential, but bugger it, this is great news.

If this has half of the atmosphere and mystery of Ragnar's last game, The Secret World, this will be definitely be worth keeping an eye on.

#13 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

More horror is a good thing, I am interested for sure.

#14 Posted by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

I am so sick of first person horror games. I'd really like more third person horror games.

#15 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6249 posts) -

Looking forward to playing this and Dream Fall Chapters on my PC when they come out hopefully the horror one will support the Occulus Rift assuming it first person.

#16 Posted by NightlyOne (318 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Survival horror was a term invented by capcom to describe RE, a real survival horror game is one like RE, it has adventure elements with combat. In time every horror game used the name survival horror cause it was so well known. If it does not have combat it is not survival horror, simple as that. It is a horror adventure game.

A lack of combat in a horror game doesn't make it any less "survival horror". Why? It's still about survival. You are free to classify games as you wish, but your "combat-only" criteria for a game to be survival horror is rather off-putting.

#17 Edited by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Survival horror was a term invented by capcom to describe RE, a real survival horror game is one like RE, it has adventure elements with combat. In time every horror game used the name survival horror cause it was so well known. If it does not have combat it is not survival horror, simple as that. It is a horror adventure game.

If you're trying not to die, and it's a horror game, it's a survival horror game. Fighting back is not a prerequisite to survival.

#18 Posted by gamefreak215jd (51 posts) -

Woah Dreamfall Chapters is still under development?!Thought I'd never be hearing anything about it.Speaking of a game from the adventure genre is Syberia 3 in the works?

#19 Edited by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

@gamefreak215jd said:

Woah Dreamfall Chapters is still under development?!Thought I'd never be hearing anything about it.Speaking of a game from the adventure genre is Syberia 3 in the works?

Chapters got a very successful kickstarter, Syberia 3 started production this summer and should be coming out in the next 2 years.

#20 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72480 posts) -

surprising this news didn't come here first. Among the Sleep and Dreamfall chapters were announced here first

#21 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Survival horror was a term invented by capcom to describe RE, a real survival horror game is one like RE, it has adventure elements with combat. In time every horror game used the name survival horror cause it was so well known. If it does not have combat it is not survival horror, simple as that. It is a horror adventure game.

That was a long time ago and Resident Evil doesn't fit that description anymore, games like this do. Survival horror is not a genre, it's a design concept (just like open world, for example).

#22 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@ReddestSkies said:

Syberia 3 started production this summer and should be coming out in the next 2 years.

What, I had no idea. I just looked it up, Benoit Sokal is on board so good news.

And yeah, I can't wait for Dreamfall Chapters.

#23 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

@UpInFlames said:

@ReddestSkies said:

Syberia 3 started production this summer and should be coming out in the next 2 years.

What, I had no idea. I just looked it up, Benoit Sokal is on board so good news.

And yeah, I can't wait for Dreamfall Chapters.

Not trying to derail the thread, but since we're talking about Sokal's genius, have you played and would you recommend Sinking Island and/or Paradise?

#24 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@ReddestSkies said:

@UpInFlames said:

@ReddestSkies said:

Syberia 3 started production this summer and should be coming out in the next 2 years.

What, I had no idea. I just looked it up, Benoit Sokal is on board so good news.

And yeah, I can't wait for Dreamfall Chapters.

Not trying to derail the thread, but since we're talking about Sokal's genius, have you played and would you recommend Sinking Island and/or Paradise?

Actually no, I haven't played anything apart from the Syberia series.

#25 Edited by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@UpInFlames said:

@dvader654 said:

Survival horror was a term invented by capcom to describe RE, a real survival horror game is one like RE, it has adventure elements with combat. In time every horror game used the name survival horror cause it was so well known. If it does not have combat it is not survival horror, simple as that. It is a horror adventure game.

That was a long time ago and Resident Evil doesn't fit that description anymore, games like this do. Survival horror is not a genre, it's a design concept (just like open world, for example).

Very true but what concept is it? Every game developer uses the term for anything horror related. People on message boards use it to describe whatever their own interpretation of survival horror is. It is by far the most undefined "genre" there is.

I stick with the tradition definition. I have no problems having horror games fit different genres. By my definition if a game is just about puzzle solving, no combat, its more an adventure title than a survival horror game which was based on limited options in combat.

#26 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@ReddestSkies said:

@dvader654 said:

Survival horror was a term invented by capcom to describe RE, a real survival horror game is one like RE, it has adventure elements with combat. In time every horror game used the name survival horror cause it was so well known. If it does not have combat it is not survival horror, simple as that. It is a horror adventure game.

If you're trying not to die, and it's a horror game, it's a survival horror game. Fighting back is not a prerequisite to survival.

Almost every single game on the planet you are trying not to die. How is that a determining factor for a genre. By your definition EVERY SINGLE HORROR themed game is a survival horror game.

#27 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Very true but what concept is it? Every game developer uses the term for anything horror related. People on message boards use it to describe whatever their own interpretation of survival horror is. It is by far the most undefined "genre" there is.

I stick with the tradition definition. I have no problems having horror games fit different genres. By my definition if a game is just about puzzle solving, no combat, its more an adventure title than a survival horror game which was based on limited options in combat.

Well, the concept is what you're actually trying to do. It's a horror game and the emphasis is squarely on your survival.

@dvader654 said:

Almost every single game on the planet you are trying not to die. How is that a determining factor for a genre. By your definition EVERY SINGLE HORROR themed game is a survival horror game.

I disagree. The focus in games such as Resident Evil and Dead Space isn't survival, it is to kill or destroy all your enemies just like in an ordinary action game, this is the only way to progress through the game. In games like Amnesia you can be killed, but you cannot kill. Your only goal is survival. Conceptually and design-wise, it's a huge difference.

#28 Edited by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@UpInFlames said:

@dvader654 said:

Very true but what concept is it? Every game developer uses the term for anything horror related. People on message boards use it to describe whatever their own interpretation of survival horror is. It is by far the most undefined "genre" there is.

I stick with the tradition definition. I have no problems having horror games fit different genres. By my definition if a game is just about puzzle solving, no combat, its more an adventure title than a survival horror game which was based on limited options in combat.

Well, the concept is what you're actually trying to do. It's a horror game and the emphasis is squarely on your survival.

@dvader654 said:

Almost every single game on the planet you are trying not to die. How is that a determining factor for a genre. By your definition EVERY SINGLE HORROR themed game is a survival horror game.

I disagree. The focus in games such as Resident Evil and Dead Space isn't survival, it is to kill or destroy all your enemies just like in an ordinary action game, this is the only way to progress through the game. In games like Amnesia you can be killed, but you cannot kill. Your only goal is survival. Conceptually and design-wise, it's a huge difference.

Survival through combat is just as valid as survival through running and avoiding combat. Again almost every single video game is about not dying technically survival is in every single game. Your goal is to get to the end by any means necessary, same as in every game.

The point is everyone simply makes up whatever definition they want for surivival horror, your definition is different from someone elses. If we are going by the actual root of where survival horror started, then this game is not that unless it has combat and some item management. But again thats what I think and someone else will think someone else so this is all pointless.

#29 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

Yeah I think that everyone's gonna have his own definition here. Especially when you throw into the mix the "is it scary?" criteria. And actually, I just realized that I never call anything "survival horror", but just "horror".

#30 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13750 posts) -

I agree with the almighty D. Vader.

Alot of genres are being used way too loosely to describe games. Draugen definately fits a Horror Adventure more than it does survival horror, from what I can gather, in survival horror you do have some limited form of fighting back, the survival part comes from limited resources, bullets, batteries, 1st aid, and so on.

#31 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6249 posts) -

@ReddestSkies said:

Yeah I think that everyone's gonna have his own definition here. Especially when you throw into the mix the "is it scary?" criteria. And actually, I just realized that I never call anything "survival horror", but just "horror".

Same Amnesia,Silent Hill,Resident evil games before 4 are all horror games to me.

#32 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

"Discover the clues. Uncover the memories. Decipher the past. Survive the night."

This is very similar to how they described Journey. Uncover lost secrets. Go on an adventure with a stranger.

And all we got was a on the rails game with nothing to do.

#33 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

"Discover the clues. Uncover the memories. Decipher the past. Survive the night."

This is very similar to how they described Journey. Uncover lost secrets. Go on an adventure with a stranger.

And all we got was a on the rails game with nothing to do.

Except this is a developer that knows how to make a playable game. :P

#34 Posted by Parado_xx (95 posts) -

The fact that it is set in Norway makes me fairly interested already, considering I'm from Norway myself, hahah.

#35 Edited by gamefreak215jd (51 posts) -

This one's a lot like L4D a bit more scary