New MGSV Previews - IGN turns MGSV into a shitty Splinter Cell clone.

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -
[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="F1Lengend"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Settle down, I was using his logic against him. He is saying no one plays MGS for the gameplay, MGS sells more on one platform than Splintercell does on 3, by like a 2-1 margin so how can he make that assumption. .

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Which MGS game lets you call airstrikes? Peace Walker, right?

Black_Knight_00
Actually mgs3 does. You can interrogate a guard to give you a codec frequency that calls in an air attack. Do people know this, no cause Kojima is so awesome he hides all this stuff for only the most dedicated players find it.

Is there a codec frequence that fixes the controls so you don't have to hold 5 1/2 buttons just to aim your gun?

And Splinter Cell doesn't even have FPS aiming so why are you complaining. Play MGS like you would SC and you can stick to over the shoulder aiming.
#52 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18520 posts) -
And Splinter Cell doesn't even have FPS aiming so why are you complaining. Play MGS like you would SC and you can stick to over the shoulder aiming. F1Lengend
MGS3 doesn't have third person aiming.
#53 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6029 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] Splintercell. Better designed game overall, better stealth gameplay, movement, control, mechanics, story etc. Metal Gear playing more like Splintercell only helps it out.Metamania

Stealth is optional in Splinter Cell(at least as of Conviction. As of Snake Eater, being spotted in Metal Gear still ended in bullet-riddled death more often than not.

Stealth is completely optional in Conviction, but some people don't see it that way. They see Conviction as a third-person shooter where you can just go around and kill everybody, like a TPS. Absolutely wrong. I've watched Youtube videos of people actually going through levels without being detected ONCE. There are moments in the campaign where killing is absolutely necessary, but you can do that without raising the alarm and still stay undetected (and yes, THAT IS STEALTH TOO - killing people without being detected. To say that it's not is ridiculous). In Blacklist, there are three playstyles; Ghost, Panther, and Assault. I've watched people on that game go through an entire level simply by ghosting through it, even if it meant non-lethal takedowns or using gadgets like sleeping gas. To tell me that neither Blacklist or Conviction is not stealth (not saying that you are saying that, but referring to people in general instead) is absolutely bullshit. People need to open up their eyes a lot more and see those games for what they are - true stealth. Period.

I get what you're saying, but I just have a hard time believing in a game where getting caught has little consequence beyond forcing you to use up your Mark&Executes.
#54 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -
[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Which MGS game lets you call airstrikes? Peace Walker, right?

dvader654
Actually mgs3 does. You can interrogate a guard to give you a codec frequency that calls in an air attack. Do people know this, no cause Kojima is so awesome he hides all this stuff for only the most dedicated players find it.

That's pretty awesome. I never knew that. To the topic at hand, there are some good elements to take from Splinter Cell, like being able to easily move from cover to cover. But I think the regenerating health is just dumb. The only way I'd find it acceptable is if it was incredibly slow, where you could wait it out....but you probably would get bored just sitting there. Keep in the rations and it might work.
#55 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

Sam does the same action over and over, simple (not boring cause the games are really fun) gameplay. MGS allows for complete gameplay freedom. What would you rather play?

El_Zo1212o
Splintercell. Better designed game overall, better stealth gameplay, movement, control, mechanics, story etc. Metal Gear playing more like Splintercell only helps it out.

Stealth is optional in Splinter Cell(at least as of Conviction. As of Snake Eater, being spotted in Metal Gear still ended in bullet-riddled death more often than not.

I rarely ever survived getting spotted in Splinter Cell but it is possible. Same as MGS, sometimes you can pull through and sometimes you can't, usually depends if you have a viable escape route to another hiding place.
#56 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

What little I have seen of MGSV looks great. It certainly appears to be a step in the right direction. But comparing it to Conviction is absolute crap. Splinter Cell Conviction heavily deviated from the series and removed a large portion of the gameplay options. It completetly revamped the levels to accomadate a cover to cover design. It removed all traces of espionage in favor of a fast and frantic killing simulator and more.

It removed and/or changed...

Alarms
Hiding bodies
Night Vision/Thermal/EMF
Non-lethal takedowns
Knife
Whistling
Rappelling
Movement speed
Lockpicking
Jump/Split jump
Computer Terminals
Hacking
Mission ratings
Secondary and Oppertunity Objectives
Co-op Moves
Spies Vs Mercs

and more. To even compare the few small changes and tweaks from MGSV to the laundry list of features removed and changed from Double Agent/Chaos Theory to Conviction is just crazy. The IGN article is extremely hyperbolic. Metal Gear Solid V/Ground Zeroes looks great and might even push the genre forward like no other.

#57 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
I think we can all agree the thread title is stupid and MGSV is not like conviction. Lets all blame solid.
#58 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I think we can all agree the thread title is stupid and MGSV is not like conviction. Lets all blame solid.dvader654

Hey dont blame the messenger. Blame IGN. 

Thread title fixed.

#59 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

What little I have seen of MGSV looks great. It certainly appears to be a step in the right direction. But comparing it to Conviction is absolute crap. Splinter Cell Conviction heavily deviated from the series and removed a large portion of the gameplay options. It completetly revamped the levels to accomadate a cover to cover design. It removed all traces of espionage in favor of a fast and frantic killing simulator and more.

Alarms
Hiding bodies
Night Vision/Thermal/EMF
Non-lethal takedowns
Knife
Whistling
Rappelling
Movement speed
Lockpicking
Jump/Split jump
Computer Terminals
Hacking
Mission ratings
Co-op Moves
Spies Vs Mercs

and more. To even compare the few small changes and tweaks from MGSV to the laundry list of features removed and changed from Double Agent/Chaos Theory to Conviction is just crazy. The IGN article is extremely hyperbolic. Metal Gear Solid V/Ground Zeroes looks great and might even push the genre forward like no other.

contracts420
And yet Conviction was still a great stealth game, so none of that stuff mattered.
#60 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6029 posts) -
[QUOTE="contracts420"]

Alarms
Hiding bodies
Night Vision/Thermal/EMF
Non-lethal takedowns
Knife
Whistling
Rappelling
Movement speed
Lockpicking
Jump/Split jump
Computer Terminals
Hacking
Mission ratings
Co-op Moves
Spies Vs Mercs

GodModeEnabled
And yet Conviction was still a great stealth game, so none of that stuff mattered.

That's definitely not the most reasonable statement so far in this thread.
#61 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18520 posts) -
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]And yet Conviction was still a great stealth game, so none of that stuff mattered.El_Zo1212o

Conviction *is* a great stealth game, especially considering the dry spell that genre has gone through this gen. Was it simplified? Sure it was and to a fault, but it's still a fantasic stealth game, unless one intentionally decides to play it as a shooter to prove a point and ruin the experience for himself. Plus the gameplay fits the plot perfecly.
#62 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6029 posts) -
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]And yet Conviction was still a great stealth game, so none of that stuff mattered.Black_Knight_00

Conviction *is* a great stealth game, especially considering the dry spell that genre has gone through this gen. Was it simplified? Sure it was and to a fault, but it's still a fantasic stealth game, unless one intentionally decides to play it as a shooter to prove a point and ruin the experience for himself. Plus the gameplay fits the plot perfecly.

I suppose, but it was just so much more direct rather than clever stealth. I remember playing the first Splinter Cell throwing bottles to lure a sentry's attention, putting a knife in him and stashing the body somewhere out of the way. In Conviction it was more like 'hide, shoot, shoot, move.' Rinse, repeat. It seemed like such a copout to me.
#63 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18520 posts) -
I suppose, but it was just so much more direct rather than clever stealth. I remember playing the first Splinter Cell throwing bottles to lure a sentry's attention, putting a knife in him and stashing the body somewhere out of the way. In Conviction it was more like 'hide, shoot, shoot, move.' Rinse, repeat. It seemed like such a copout to me.El_Zo1212o
Of course, we all like the classic gameplay better, but Conviction had to be like that: Sam was out for blood in that game. That's not to say they haven't gotten lazy cutting out some aspects, but it's by no means a bad game.
#64 Posted by Metamania (12018 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] That's definitely not the most reasonable statement so far in this thread. El_Zo1212o

I suppose, but it was just so much more direct rather than clever stealth. I remember playing the first Splinter Cell throwing bottles to lure a sentry's attention, putting a knife in him and stashing the body somewhere out of the way. In Conviction it was more like 'hide, shoot, shoot, move.' Rinse, repeat. It seemed like such a copout to me.

Again, that was only one option. The other option being is that you didn't have to kill at all or if you had to kill, do it non-lethally, which is possible to do.

#65 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]And yet Conviction was still a great stealth game, so none of that stuff mattered.Black_Knight_00

It may fit the plot but it does not fit the series. Even with Fifth freedom Sam was vulnerable, he did not turn into Jason Bourne. Really the plot was just a device to explain the extreme disconnect between Sam and the series between entries. It was a copout to say the least. Also I might remind everyone (Metamania) that all takedowns are considered kills in Conviction.

Almost all additions to the game were geared towards the action player. Pistol with unlimited ammo, customizable weapons, upgradable suit, weapons crates, mark & execute as well as cover based gameplay. But enough of this, Conviction is a great title at the end of the day even if it deviates from the series so much. Nobody can argue that. But I will say that Blacklist is large improvement over Conviction, even though it manages to slip and fall in its own s**t at the end of every mission.

But my initial point wasn't to put down Conviction, it was to point out how ridiculous IGN's Mitch Dyer' article is.

#66 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18520 posts) -
It may fit the plot but it does not fit the series. Even with Fifth freedom Sam was vulnerable, he did not turn into Jason Bourne. Really the plot was just a device to explain the extreme disconnect between Sam and the series between entries. It was a copout to say the least. Also I might remind everyone (Metamania) that all takedowns are considered kills in Conviction.contracts420
Sure, but there's no divine commandment saying that series must always follow the same line. Deviations are acceptable and sometimes even welcome. As I said I longed for a return to the slow paced, methodical original gameplay, but with Sam Fisher gone and replaced by a generic action movie guy there's basically no point now.
#67 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

IGN? I cant believe anyone actually pays attention to that site or anything they post on it.

#68 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72408 posts) -
Oh well, i am not the biggest fan of the franchise, but i guess fans of the series might not be happy
#69 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6029 posts) -

IGN? I cant believe anyone actually pays attention to that site or anything they post on it.

Gargus
Going case-by-case, IGN was one of the few who gave anything even approaching a fair review to TMNT: Out of the Shadows.
#70 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
I thought Conviction was a really fun game. I wouldnt say its better than Chaos Theory but the game executed (no pun intended) its gameplay systems very well.
#71 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

[QUOTE="contracts420"]It may fit the plot but it does not fit the series. Even with Fifth freedom Sam was vulnerable, he did not turn into Jason Bourne. Really the plot was just a device to explain the extreme disconnect between Sam and the series between entries. It was a copout to say the least. Also I might remind everyone (Metamania) that all takedowns are considered kills in Conviction.Black_Knight_00
Sure, but there's no divine commandment saying that series must always follow the same line. Deviations are acceptable and sometimes even welcome. As I said I longed for a return to the slow paced, methodical original gameplay, but with Sam Fisher gone and replaced by a generic action movie guy there's basically no point now.

Sure, you can deviate. That is not my point however. It's that it does not fit with the existing character and his limits and capabilities. To say the story called for this is nothing more than a hollow excuse to defend these differences which have no place in the existing series. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Have you played Blacklist yet? I'm surprised to see no threads about the game and nobody giving their impressions. You have to play Grimm' missions.