New MGSV Previews - IGN turns MGSV into a shitty Splinter Cell clone.

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I dont even care anymore. This series is dead to me.

From the IGN preview:

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - The Splinter Cell Effect
Slow-mo executions, regenerating health, and more changes coming.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes seems, above all else, safe, despite its subtle but significant changes. The prologue to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which eases players to the main games open-world elements, introduces numerous new elements to the franchise, none of which stand out as exceptionally interesting on their own. In unison, one after the other, and in the context of the next Big Boss story, these changes shake up the norm, disrupting expectations with more modern systems. The stealth, action, interrogation, infiltration, and navigation mechanics feel familiar in ways that feel equal parts right and wrong.

When I left the debut gameplay demo of Ground Zeroes, one thought looped in my mind: This is an exceptional Splinter Cell sequel.

Boss sprints, slides, climbs, and tags enemies like Sam Fisher has since 2009s Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Before a guard enters an alert state, youll get a button prompt indicating youre busted. Hold the left trigger, and youll briefly freeze time, giving you the opportunity to pump a couple quiet bullets into an alarmed enemys eyeballs.

Ground Zeroes is deviating from whats always made the series special to me. If youre a Splinter Cell fan, you may be having deja vu. This has Conviction written all over it.IGN

Get that Sam Fisher easy mode out of my MGS.

More previews:

There are other sites with previews too:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/doe...takes-6414131/
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/unra...l-gear-solid-v
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/v...s-field-report
http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/6/4700...ke-has-changed
https://www.shacknews.com/article/81...zeroes-preview

gametrailers report here: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/v...s-field-report

Kotaku here: http://kotaku.com/ive-seen-metal-gea...ium=Socialflow

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
It will be a Splinter Cell Movie Clone.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Conviction has much better gameplay than any MGS game ever madre, so at least he's taking inspiration from the right place.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

He's aping the crappy modern SC games? Kojima is doing to MGS what George Lucas did to Star Wars.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts
There's shadowing another game mechanic because you're trying to cash in on the popularity of the former, and then there's shadowing a game mechanic because it's hands down the best way to implement it in a stealth genre. So splinter cell got to the finish line 1st. Meh. Everyones known that for years. At some point its inevitable, and its hard to beat a stealth of that caliber anyways. There's a reason people don't charge excess royalties for copied mechanics anyways.
Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

I actually like some of the new features in the game. Is it me, or does Snake look a bit like Chuck Norris?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Yikes. Then again who cares, no one plays Metal Gear for the gameplay
F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
Yikes. Then again who cares, noRegenplays Metal Gear for the gameplayBlack_Knight_00
Well, no one plays Splinter Cell period, so why ape a series that no one cares about. I can understand some of the changes koji is making but it just goes to show you open world games aren't necessarily better and come at a cost to game design (at times). Regen health is the worst offender, get that sh1t out of here.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 S0lidSnake

Yikes. Then again who cares, no one plays Metal Gear for the gameplayBlack_Knight_00

Terrible Post.

3/10.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Yikes. Then again who cares, noRegenplays Metal Gear for the gameplayF1Lengend
Well, no one plays Splinter Cell period, so why ape a series that no one cares about. I can understand some of the changes koji is making but it just goes to show you open world games aren't necessarily better and come at a cost to game design (at times). Regen health is the worst offender, get that sh1t out of here.

I have no clue why they need regen health anyway. MGS4 had like ten different items that worked as rations.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Black_Knight_00
Yay for regen health, no more stupid rations, ramen noodles and chili chips to regain life! That was f*cking stupid :D
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
They should ape Splinter Cell, then we can have this game be a real stealth game again. With some good gameplay to boot.
Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

Yay for regen health, no more stupid rations, ramen noodles and chili chips to regain life! That was f*cking stupid :DBlack_Knight_00

I like the rations...reminds of the of the first Metal Gear on the NES :)

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]They should ape Splinter Cell, then we can have this game be a real stealth game again. With some good gameplay to boot.dvader654

SC wishes it had half the stealth gameplay MGS games do. I have more options in one tiny section of MGS than I do in most entire SC games. The day Sam Fisher can capture a venomous snake alive, then sneak toward a guard and throw it at one, having the snake bite the guard and knock him out, then maybe we can talk. Or something more simple like make a noise and camo right into a statue while the guard passes right by you to investigate the noise, you can even leave him a dirty magazine to keep him occupied for a while.

Sam Fisher doesn't do all that stupid bullshit and instead kills the guy or ghosts him, and moves on with the mission instead of playing with animals, dirty magazines, or makeup-- he is being an actual superspy assassin. Metal Gear had a nice mix of stealth and action originally, then it got skewed in favor of action and lost altogether with the advent of it's nonsense anime storytelling which replaces most of the gameplay with cutscenes now.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

They should ape Splinter Cell, then we can have this game be a real stealth game again. With some good gameplay to boot.GodModeEnabled

This, I don't see how this is bad. SC has better controls and stealth gameplay. Given the open world nature of the game it makes sense they go with regenerating health

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Black_Knight_00

Sam does the same action over and over, boring gameplay. MGS allows for complete gameplay freedom. What would you rather play?dvader654
There's no point in comparing Splinter Cell and Metal Gear, they're not even remotely trying to do the same thing. I for one welcome the change of gameplay in Metal Gear though, the shooting in MGS4 still felt like Virtua Cop and the complete lack of realism was just irritating to me. The cover system was barely functional and the clown car enemy respawns were just awful. MGS4 is a game that deserves a 10 for the story alone, if that weren't there the gameplay would just be "ok". I'm glad they finally took a cue from the West, though I fear they may go overboard and casualize it too much.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

SC wishes it had half the stealth gameplay MGS games do. I have more options in one tiny section of MGS than I do in most entire SC games. The day Sam Fisher can capture a venomous snake alive, then sneak toward a guard and throw it at one, having the snake bite the guard and knock him out, then maybe we can talk. Or something more simple like make a noise and camo right into a statue while the guard passes right by you to investigate the noise, you can even leave him a dirty magazine to keep him occupied for a while.

dvader654

Sam Fisher doesn't do all that stupid bullshit and instead kills the guy or ghosts him, and moves on with the mission instead of playing with animals, dirty magazines, or makeup-- he is being an actual superspy assassin. Metal Gear had a nice mix of stealth and action originally, then it got skewed in favor of action and lost altogether with the advent of it's nonsense anime storytelling which replaces most of the gameplay withcutscenes now.

Sam does the same action over and over, simple (not boring cause the games are really fun) gameplay. MGS allows for complete gameplay freedom. What would you rather play?

Splintercell. Better designed game overall, better stealth gameplay, movement, control, mechanics, story etc. Metal Gear playing more like Splintercell only helps it out.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GodModeEnabled
MGS4 is a game that deserves a 10 for the story alone,Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]MGS4 is a game that deserves a 10 for the story alone,GodModeEnabled

dinklage.jpg

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 S0lidSnake

Adding to what dvader said above, Splinter Cell is the definition of a western game. Solid gameplay. Solid mechanics. But by the numbers and has no soul.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 S0lidSnake

Splintercell. Better designed game overall, better stealth gameplay, movement, control, mechanics, story etc. Metal Gear playing more like Splintercell only helps it out.GodModeEnabled

Fail.

i3Gbm92draRQy.gif

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

As long as it retains the series' charm, zany characters, fun dynamics, and off the wall story--then I'm all in.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Splintercell. Better designed game overall, better stealth gameplay, movement, control, mechanics, story etc. Metal Gear playing more like Splintercell only helps it out.S0lidSnake

Fail.

i3Gbm92draRQy.gif

First of all hilarity gif is hilarious. Second if you are gonna make an entire thread deriding Splinter Cell I am going to come out and defend it as the much better designed and playable game that it is. At least I don't need three buttons to fire a gun, and there is actual stealth.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 S0lidSnake
[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Splintercell. Better designed game overall, better stealth gameplay, movement, control, mechanics, story etc. Metal Gear playing more like Splintercell only helps it out.GodModeEnabled

Fail.

First of all hilarity gif is hilarious. Second if you are gonna make an entire thread deriding Splinter Cell I am going to come out and defend it as the much better designed and playable game that it is. At least I don't need three buttons to fire a gun, and there is actual stealth.

Nah it's cool. I was just looking for an excuse to post that gif. :lol: I really liked splinter cell conviction too.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GodModeEnabled
I actually thought the demo of MGS5 looked neat with all the sneaking around and using the environment, So I am cautiously optimistic it will be good and heavier on gameplay that story. I like most of what I see so far.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Fail.

dvader654

Spoken like a man who has never beaten a MGS game without being spotted. 

I don't get the Splinter Cell hatred. It had many improvements to the genre like light/dark mechanics and a rotatable camera before Metal Gear. And Metal Gear seriously needs new gadgets. SC's gadgets are more fun to use.

I played Metal Gear for the story, but now that that's fvcked to hell and back, I don't see any reason for Metal Gear fans to sneer at Splinter Cell. Perhaps the other way around. 

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
People need to chill out with this preview. The game was being played on the easiest difficulty setting, thus the regenerating health. There is no way in hell Kojima would take out Rations, an iconic series staple. That'd be almost as bad as removing the Cardboard Box. The marking is a result of the minimalist UI and lack of active Radar on the screen coupled with the much larger open world environments. From what the press has been able to tell, you can't just tap a button and mark an enemy instantly like in Conviction, you have to bust out your binoculars and then mark the enemies from afar. Slo-mo once spotted seems kind of a cop out though. MGS3 had no active Radar and somehow player managed enemy patrols with either nothing or Radar items that sapped up their batteries pretty quickly.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Spoken like a man who has never beaten a MGS game without being spotted. 

dvader654

I don't get the Splinter Cell hatred. It had many improvements to the genre like light/dark mechanics and a rotatable camera before Metal Gear. And Metal Gear seriously needs new gadgets. SC's gadgets are more fun to use.

I played Metal Gear for the story, but now that that's fvcked to hell and back, I don't see any reason for Metal Gear fans to sneer at Splinter Cell. Perhaps the other way around. 

There is no hate here, I think SC is a great game. But here is a MGS thread and what happens, a bunch of people come in and start saying SC has better gameplay and is better designed. Sorry but I don't agree with that for a second so I will defend it. 

There is a reason why the MGS series is considered one of the greatest in all of gaming and its not just cause it has insane stories. 

As for enhancements to the controls, most of the stuff they mentioned like better mobility and better controls are all good. Take those ideas from SC, just dont take the structure nor the way that game handles being caught and how it handles combat versus stealth. MGS has done it far better in the past. 

well i guess i am to blamed here since my controversial thread title attracted a bunch of Splinter Cell fans. :P

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 S0lidSnake

Which MGS game lets you call airstrikes? Peace Walker, right?

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

S0lidSnake
Artillery strikes, but yeah, Peace Walker. You call it in using the Strike Support Marker.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Yikes. Then again who cares, no one plays Metal Gear for the gameplaydvader654
Yes they do.

They must- no one could possibly play it for the confusing-ass story...
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] Sam Fisher doesn't do all that stupid bullshit and instead kills the guy or ghosts him, and moves on with the mission instead of playing with animals, dirty magazines, or makeup-- he is being an actual superspy assassin. Metal Gear had a nice mix of stealth and action originally, then it got skewed in favor of action and lost altogether with the advent of it's nonsense anime storytelling which replaces most of the gameplay withcutscenes now.GodModeEnabled

Sam does the same action over and over, simple (not boring cause the games are really fun) gameplay. MGS allows for complete gameplay freedom. What would you rather play?

Splintercell. Better designed game overall, better stealth gameplay, movement, control, mechanics, story etc. Metal Gear playing more like Splintercell only helps it out.

Stealth is optional in Splinter Cell(at least as of Conviction. As of Snake Eater, being spotted in Metal Gear still ended in bullet-riddled death more often than not.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#45 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Actually mgs3 does. You can interrogate a guard to give you a codec frequency that calls in an air attack. Do people know this, no cause Kojima is so awesome he hides all this stuff for only the most dedicated players find it.dvader654

So it's like Dark Souls.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

dvader654
Actually mgs3 does. You can interrogate a guard to give you a codec frequency that calls in an air attack. Do people know this, no cause Kojima is so awesome he hides all this stuff for only the most dedicated players find it.

Is there a codec frequence that fixes the controls so you don't have to hold 5 1/2 buttons just to aim your gun?
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]MGS4 is a game that deserves a 10 for the story alone,GodModeEnabled

disappointed1.gif

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#48 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Yikes. Then again who cares, noRegenplays Metal Gear for the gameplayF1Lengend

Uh, are you on drugs or something? "No one plays Splinter Cell period?" You are so full of it. I play Splinter Cell and I enjoy Blacklist and I even enjoyed Conviction to a higher degree than most people. So don't speak for me. EVER!

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#49 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

El_Zo1212o

Stealth is optional in Splinter Cell(at least as of Conviction. As of Snake Eater, being spotted in Metal Gear still ended in bullet-riddled death more often than not.

Stealth is completely optional in Conviction, but some people don't see it that way. They see Conviction as a third-person shooter where you can just go around and kill everybody, like a TPS. Absolutely wrong. I've watched Youtube videos of people actually going through levels without being detected ONCE. There are moments in the campaign where killing is absolutely necessary, but you can do that without raising the alarm and still stay undetected (and yes, THAT IS STEALTH TOO - killing people without being detected. To say that it's not is ridiculous). In Blacklist, there are three playstyles; Ghost, Panther, and Assault. I've watched people on that game go through an entire level simply by ghosting through it, even if it meant non-lethal takedowns or using gadgets like sleeping gas. To tell me that neither Blacklist or Conviction is not stealth (not saying that you are saying that, but referring to people in general instead) is absolutely bullshit. People need to open up their eyes a lot more and see those games for what they are - true stealth. Period.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Yikes. Then again who cares, no one plays Metal Gear for the gameplayBlack_Knight_00
Wait. Metal Gear games have gameplay?