New MGS Ground Zero impressions, "4 hours, 10% completion"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Konami had some event for the press to try out GZ and we got a bunch of tweets about it. Yes the story campaign is super short, 90 minutes, but there is a ton of stuff to do in the game. But maybe the biggest news from this is that there is no cardboard box in the game! NOOOO!

Here are some tweets

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/12/metal-gear-solid-v-impressions-filter-from-boot-camp-not-a-two-hour-game-best-stealth-yet/

To finish mgsv in 2 hours is like going out for dinner with charlize theron and take her to mcdonalds.

After completing the main mission and a side mission in 4 hours the game says I’m at 10% completion. Sounds good to me

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. Just saw the ending. Goosebumps. Disbelief. Shock. *reboots game* I’m going back in.

Every soldier in Ground Zeroes has a unique appearance. Their faces, taken from real photos, appear only once per game.

Controls are much, much better than in MGS4. Really easy to do all the stuff you want, easier to interrogate enemies etc.

Completed a full-stealth run of MGSV:GZ. Stealth is the best it’s been yet. Controls are more fluid while staying true to MGS.

I’m finding 3-5 distinct ways of achieving every objective using only stealth. Going for gun-down run next.

Get Ground Zeroes on PS4, not XB1. Way better visuals, frame rate, everything... I believe

That last one goes with what Kojima has been saying, PS4 version is the way to go. I think we should all get used to this trend.

#2 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

So torn. Want to want, want not to want. I don't know why Kojima is announcing himself in advance that the XB1 version is inferior like he did, seems self defeating.

#3 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@Randolph said:

So torn. Want to want, want not to want. I don't know why Kojima is announcing himself in advance that the XB1 version is inferior like he did, seems self defeating.

Honesty? He has always been a Sony guy actually.

#4 Edited by GuitarSmash (208 posts) -

Wow, did he really have to tweet the last thing about xbone? If its so inferior, why even make it for the console?! Really makes me confident in buying it now even though i am a long time MGS fan....

#5 Edited by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@GuitarSmash said:

Wow, did he really have to tweet the last thing about xbone? If its so inferior, why even make it for the console?! Really makes me confident in buying it now even though i am a long time MGS fan....

Oh that last tweet is not from Kojima, its from someone at the event. Kojima has said before that the PS4 version would look slightly better.

#6 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Every dev should do this. As a consumer you should know which product is inferior BEFORE it comes out. Fucking Ubisoft, EA and Activision hiding the resolutions and claiming parity before launch was anti-consumer. Hell, both CoD and Ass Creed 4 PS4 versions launched at the same resolutions as their X1 counterparts, and were magically upgraded to 1080p with a launch day patch. Oddly enough CBOAT had leaked MS talks of launch parity which means Ubisoft and Activision accepted cash to launch both versions at the same resolution.

I for one am glad that there is at least one developer out there who is honest with his fans.

Of course, he is ripping me off with this $40 demo so he's an asshole himself but I've already bitched about it enough.

#7 Edited by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

It's too bad I'm such a spoiler whore, I'm sure this will be the best game of the year, even if it's two hours. Kojima looks to continue being the best at what he does.

#8 Posted by Netret0120 (2197 posts) -

Still $40

Hell no

#9 Posted by Netret0120 (2197 posts) -

Still $40

Hell no

#10 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18507 posts) -

Can't wait to see how many palette-swapped tanks we'll have to fight over and over to unlock some gun.

#11 Posted by Ballroompirate (23029 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

Still $40

Hell no

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes/112777

Might want to check the price again

Also Gone Home is a $20 game and it can be beaten in 5 minutes, so people need to stop ******** about the price and the time it takes to complete the game cause there's numerous games out there that are $20-$60 that can be beaten the same time it takes to beat MGSV GZ.

If the time spent playing GZ is worth the money, then well it's worth it so why complain?. If the time spent wasn't worth it, then it wasn't worth it but we won't know tell we get our hands on it. Some games I feel like I should actually pay more than the standard if I got my time/moneys worth, specially if I dump 70+ hours into a game.

#12 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@Netret0120 said:

Still $40

Hell no

Also Gone Home is a $20 game and it can be beaten in 5 minutes, so people need to stop ******** about the price and the time it takes to complete the game cause there's numerous games out there that are $20-$60 that can be beaten the same time it takes to beat MGSV GZ.

If the time spent playing GZ is worth the money, then well it's worth it so why complain?. If the time spent wasn't worth it, then it wasn't worth it but we won't know tell we get our hands on it. Some games I feel like I should actually pay more than the standard if I got my time/moneys worth, specially if I dump 70+ hours into a game.

Maybe you might want to check the price again.

Gamestop MGS Ground Zeroes PS4.

#13 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

@Randolph said:

Every dev should do this. As a consumer you should know which product is inferior BEFORE it comes out. Fucking Ubisoft, EA and Activision hiding the resolutions and claiming parity before launch was anti-consumer. Hell, both CoD and Ass Creed 4 PS4 versions launched at the same resolutions as their X1 counterparts, and were magically upgraded to 1080p with a launch day patch. Oddly enough CBOAT had leaked MS talks of launch parity which means Ubisoft and Activision accepted cash to launch both versions at the same resolution.

I for one am glad that there is at least one developer out there who is honest with his fans.

Of course, he is ripping me off with this $40 demo so he's an asshole himself but I've already bitched about it enough.

Every dev should do this? Why? Because you say so? So because the PS4 version of GZ looks slightly better than the Xbox One version, that makes the game inferior? Would inferior also imply that the game will not be enjoyed by those who own the Xbox One version than? We all get that you are a graphics whore but to label a game inferior because of the reasons stated above is a stretch. Lets get this straight chief. What you are saying is your opinion and not fact. Those who only own an Xbox One, will still enjoy the game and experience as much as those who own a PS4. Unless they are you who places a greater emphasis on graphics.

And if you had done your homework, you would have heard that both console versions do look good. Game Informer just released a video where they discuss both versions. The conclusion was that both look good with the PS4 looking a little better. Still this does not mean that the Xbox One version will be any less enjoyable. Which is what game is all about.

#14 Edited by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

90 minutes good gosh that is hilarious! like... why even bother making a game if its that short? hell you could beat this joke of a game 10 times in a row and still not be done with The Missing Link dlc on Deus Ex ffs! and that was a dlc story! seriously wondering wtf they were thinking..

#15 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

@shangtsung7 said:

90 minutes good gosh that is hilarious! like... why even bother making a game if its that short? hell you could beat this joke of a game 10 times in a row and still not be done with The Missing Link dlc on Deus Ex ffs! and that was a sp only game! seriously wondering wtf they were thinking..

I have to agree with you. I kept rereading the OP thinking that my mind was playing tricks on me. 90 minutes...what?!?

Hopefully, the other content is compelling.

#16 Posted by Ballroompirate (23029 posts) -

@good_sk8er7 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Netret0120 said:

Still $40

Hell no

Still $30 for the other versions and it's even cheaper for the DL versions

Nice try

#17 Edited by CTR360 (7102 posts) -

i rent it

#18 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2735 posts) -

Only buying it cause it's mgs.

I would still buy it even the whole game was about snake taking a dump

#19 Edited by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Buy it digital when it comes out $20 on PS3(360), and $30 on PS4(X1). It is your own fault if you buy the box version, heck Kojima didn't even want to release a box version of PS4 GZ probably because he knew he'd have to raise the price for it, but fans asked for it, and he delivered it, and then they complain again.

#20 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2604 posts) -

@t1striker: Consumers are impossible to please. You could give them something for free, and they find things to complain about. Seeing that 8 hour games cost 60$, as long as the side content is compelling enough to warrant playing more than 90 minutes, and say, something like 5 or 6 hours, 40$ is about on par with industry norms.

#21 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Netret0120 said:

Still $40

Hell no

Nice try

For last gen and digital versions, yes it's cheaper. As it should be.

#22 Posted by Ballroompirate (23029 posts) -

@good_sk8er7 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Netret0120 said:

Still $40

Hell no

Nice try

Honestly I'm glad we get some discount and glad we dont have to pay $60. But who knows it might be worth the $30 or $40 for those 2 ish hours, or it can be a bust and just be a glorified demo.

I can tell you though I'd pay a good $20-$30 just for the ship lvl for MGS2.

#23 Edited by firefox59 (4403 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@t1striker: Consumers are impossible to please. You could give them something for free, and they find things to complain about. Seeing that 8 hour games cost 60$, as long as the side content is compelling enough to warrant playing more than 90 minutes, and say, something like 5 or 6 hours, 40$ is about on par with industry norms.

Only idiots or people who don't care about money pay full price for those 5 hour shooter games. If you're going to give me a game with a small amount of content than I am certainly not going to pay full retail price.

#24 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2604 posts) -

@firefox59: Or people with high paying jobs that can't be affected by a 60$ purchase. :)

Also, it all depends on what it is you're doing with that content. You can have a 200 hour game and get bored with it after two days, and on the opposite end, you can have a six hour game that you play over and over again. Seeing that I've played Metal Gear 4 about five times through, I have the feeling I'll be getting more than four or five hours out of Ground Zeroes.

#25 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Netret0120 said:

Still $40

Hell no

Nice try

Honestly I'm glad we get some discount and glad we dont have to pay $60. But who knows it might be worth the $30 or $40 for those 2 ish hours, or it can be a bust and just be a glorified demo.

I can tell you though I'd pay a good $20-$30 just for the ship lvl for MGS2.

Nothing wrong with that. Value is different for everyone. I might get it later right before Phantom Pain ships or something.

#26 Posted by yearssomuch (54 posts) -

No cardboard box? Good.
I realize people have an unnatural sense of affection for this particular piece of equipment in MGS, but my replaying of MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 in recent years has seen me not using the cardboard box even once. It's not needed, and it usually just gets you stuck in a less-than-ideal location while the soldier inevitably spots you.

As for the length of the game.. you people realize that this playtime is based on a speed run, right? Or at the very least, ignoring all optional content. If I made a conscience decision to speed run ANY Metal Gear Solid game, I could beat any of them in a matter of hours. But guess what? I continuously replay these games, starting from scratch every time, because they're undeniably fun.

Besides, since I'm not jumping into the next generation just yet, that means I get a brand new Metal Gear Solid experience for $20. THAT'S ALL?? Touche', Kojima.

HOWEVER.. that being said, I stand by my opinion that GZ and TPP should be part of one complete package. But there's no telling when TPP is coming, so I'll take a smaller, by-and-large cheaper taste of whats to come.

#27 Edited by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

Disappointing to hear the PS4 preference, going to way for Comparisons to buy but hope the difference isn't that huge.

#28 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@yearssomuch said:

No cardboard box? Good.

I realize people have an unnatural sense of affection for this particular piece of equipment in MGS, but my replaying of MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 in recent years has seen me not using the cardboard box even once. It's not needed, and it usually just gets you stuck in a less-than-ideal location while the soldier inevitably spots you.

As for the length of the game.. you people realize that this playtime is based on a speed run, right? Or at the very least, ignoring all optional content. If I made a conscience decision to speed run ANY Metal Gear Solid game, I could beat any of them in a matter of hours. But guess what? I continuously replay these games, starting from scratch every time, because they're undeniably fun.

Besides, since I'm not jumping into the next generation just yet, that means I get a brand new Metal Gear Solid experience for $20. THAT'S ALL?? Touche', Kojima.

HOWEVER.. that being said, I stand by my opinion that GZ and TPP should be part of one complete package. But there's no telling when TPP is coming, so I'll take a smaller, by-and-large cheaper taste of whats to come.

No its not speed running. The main story mode (the equivalent of the main campaign of any MGS game) took them 90 minutes taking their time and watching all cutscenes. Speed running it can be finished in 5 minutes.

But there is a giant base to explore and optional side missions that are not a part of the story, they are like the side ops in PW. That is where most of the play time will come in. Of course you can play as long as you want just messing around in the base which is what i will be doing.

#29 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72263 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Why? He is just telling the truth

#30 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Randolph said:

Why make two versions if you're going to actively downplay one of them? I don't remember anybody from Platinum coming out before Bayonetta arrived and saying "Oh yeah, the PS3 version of our game is way inferior to the 360 version, the 360 version looks and plays way better".

#31 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72263 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Randolph said:

Why make two versions if you're going to actively downplay one of them? I don't remember anybody from Platinum coming out before Bayonetta arrived and saying "Oh yeah, the PS3 version of our game is way inferior to the 360 version, the 360 version looks and plays way better".

Because last time around Wii was inferior and people didn't need to mention it. PS3 had the CELL stuff and was difficult, but more powerful. 360 was just easier to program for. So there was no clear cut answer. This time it is.

#32 Edited by yearssomuch (54 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

@yearssomuch said:

No cardboard box? Good.

No its not speed running. The main story mode (the equivalent of the main campaign of any MGS game) took them 90 minutes taking their time and watching all cutscenes. Speed running it can be finished in 5 minutes.

But there is a giant base to explore and optional side missions that are not a part of the story, they are like the side ops in PW. That is where most of the play time will come in. Of course you can play as long as you want just messing around in the base which is what i will be doing.

5 minutes? Is that an confirmed fact, or are you assuming? That seems a little bit exaggerated.

Yeah, I already know I'll be doing any optional content that comes my way before I do anything story-related. But as I said before, I've played every MGS multiple times, just because they're fun and the story is enjoyable. I could start up a new file of MGS3 right now and play it all day without getting bored, despite the fact that I've beaten it at least 5 or 6 times. I guarantee that GZ will be similar.. I'll be playing that campaign at least once a month, every month, until TPP comes out. :P

#33 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@yearssomuch said:

@dvader654 said:

@yearssomuch said:

No cardboard box? Good.

5 minutes? Is that an confirmed fact, or are you assuming? That seems a little bit exaggerated.

Yeah, I already know I'll be doing any optional content that comes my way before I do anything story-related. But as I said before, I've played every MGS multiple times, just because they're fun and the story is enjoyable. I could start up a new file of MGS3 right now and play it all day without getting bored, despite the fact that I've beaten it at least 5 or 6 times. I guarantee that GZ will be similar.. I'll be playing that campaign at least once a month, every month, until TPP comes out. :P

Yes its confirmed by GI.