New Drive Club screenshots of GT6 choking on these next gen graphics. 56K

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Seriously, even with terrible compression these screens look fantastic. Just look at the enviornment and those REFELCTIONS!

driveclub2.jpg

driveclub1.jpg
driveclub3.jpg
Game-Record-Large-Image.jpg
driveclub4.jpg

driveclub5.jpg

And this one godly gif.

http://i.minus.com/ibrWwxVIIJtsaW.gif

#2 Posted by Spartan_N7 (576 posts) -
Yeah, it has good graphics but the game looks utterly uninteresting.
#3 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18474 posts) -
Bullshots?
#4 Posted by naju890_963 (8954 posts) -

GT6 is going to fail so bad,

#5 Posted by The_Stand_In (395 posts) -

inb4projectcarslooksbetter

#6 Posted by Pedro (21072 posts) -

I wonder what actual gameplay would look like?

#7 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
I'll wait for GT6 PS4 edition.
#8 Posted by chaplainDMK (6834 posts) -
I have a hard time believing that is real.
#9 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

I was going to post the gif, but then I saw your link. That gif looks stunning.

I am disappointed though if it's true the game is not using real time reflections. Even though it may not have a visible effect on something like this, it's just more confirmation of what to expect from next gen hardware. I would have expected that to be standard in racing games this generation.

I could easily see me playing this over games like Forza or GT. Great launch title, imo.

#10 Posted by Nuck81 (5853 posts) -
Looks don't mean anything if it has a poor handling model.
#11 Posted by Cyberdot (3537 posts) -

Looks great.

#12 Posted by sukraj (22775 posts) -

those pics look amazing.

#13 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Looks awesome. I'm going to try before I buy though. As another poster mentioned, how the game feels is key.

#14 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Bullshots?Black_Knight_00

Everything released so far has been inengine and ingame. 

#15 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

Looks superb.  I'm just hoping it's a sim racer and not some arcade thing.  If Sony had a second sim racing game, to supplement Polyphony Digital and their lethargic output, I'd be in heaven.

#16 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Looks superb. I'm just hoping it's a sim racer and not some arcade thing. If Sony had a second sim racing game, to supplement Polyphony Digital and their lethargic output, I'd be in heaven.

Jackc8

Its an arcade game (though based on what we've seen, not a wildly over the top one).

#17 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I am disappointed though if it's true the game is not using real time reflections. Even though it may not have a visible effect on something like this, it's just more confirmation of what to expect from next gen hardware. I would have expected that to be standard in racing games this generation.

I could easily see me playing this over games like Forza or GT. Great launch title, imo.

alexwatchtower

Where did you hear its not using realtime reflections?

#18 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

I think racing games already look pretty.  Now here's a racing game that looks very pretty....why should this excite me again? I look forward to seeing some actual gameplay. Pretty much every racing game these days looks brilliant. They'll look better next gen, but not so much better to the point where I'll care. Show some good looking gameplay and I'll get interested.

#19 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Wow, looks good.

#20 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1733 posts) -

It looks crazy.. it will be by far the best looking racing game. But i'll wait for GT7 :lol:

#21 Posted by Grieverr (2716 posts) -

So much negativity for this game! I'm really looking forward to trying it out. It's about time someone gave Polyphony some competition on the Playstation. They've gotten lazy.

I think the game looks great. I won't nitpick the (lack of?) real-time reflections because it's a launch game, and frankly, it's not that important to me if the gameplay is good.

#22 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

Yeah, it has good graphics but the game looks utterly uninteresting. Spartan_N7

I agree. Supposedly it's some sort of a arcade/sim mish-mash based mostly on multiplayer. That doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

#23 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I won't nitpick the (lack of?) real-time reflections because it's a launch game, and frankly, it's not that important to me if the gameplay is good.

Grieverr

Where are people getting this from?

There are reflections everywhere in those pics. Do people really think all those are faked?

#24 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

The dashboard here is reflecting on the windscreen. How can they fake it in a open world racer with a day/night cycle?

driveclub1.jpg

#25 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -

[QUOTE="Spartan_N7"]Yeah, it has good graphics but the game looks utterly uninteresting. UpInFlames

I agree. Supposedly it's some sort of a arcade/sim mish-mash based mostly on multiplayer. That doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

My interest in it is that the team making it has some good roots. There are lots of guys from the Project Gotham and WipEout teams on it. [spoiler] Not a huge fan of Motorstorm, but Evolution is pretty competent as well. [/spoiler]
#26 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="Spartan_N7"]Yeah, it has good graphics but the game looks utterly uninteresting. rragnaar

My interest in it is that the team making it has some good roots. There are lots of guys from the Project Gotham and WipEout teams on it. [spoiler] Not a huge fan of Motorstorm, but Evolution is pretty competent as well. [/spoiler]

It's a playstation game. Of course UIF doesnt find it appealing.

#27 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="Spartan_N7"]Yeah, it has good graphics but the game looks utterly uninteresting. rragnaar

Yeah, it actually reminded me of Project Gotham Racing. And that isn't helping. I found Project Gotham to be one of the blandest and most boring racing games ever created. I can't stand racers that can't make up their mind between arcade and sim.

I only played Motorstorm briefly, but I liked what I played.

#28 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

It's a playstation game. Of course UIF doesnt find it appealing.

S0lidSnake

Unless you want me to pick another avatar for you, I suggest not making assumptions about me. :D

#29 Posted by Ben-Buja (2992 posts) -

It looks crazy.. it will be by far the best looking racing game. But i'll wait for GT7 :lol:

KillzoneSnake

Haven't you seen Project CARS yet?

Drive Club looks cool though, I hope it's as open as TDU was

#30 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

S0lidSnake

GAF. I was surprised myself.

#31 Posted by Ben-Buja (2992 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

alexwatchtower

Meanwhile in Project CARS:

projectpuddle28bh4.gif

Even random puddles have realtime reflections. :P

#32 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

The game looks fantastic, but what I am worried about is if the title will have Motorstorm syndrome. Will it be a feature rich racer or have 9 tracks and like 6-8 vehicles with different skins. I enjoyed Motorstorm a lot but the game did feel a bit incomplete.

Honestly it's tough to match Turn 10, they really are doing an amazing job with the Forza series and will no doubt come out swinging on the next Microsoft console.

#33 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

alexwatchtower

Link? I was following that thread on gaf and didnt see any mention of it. Sometimes its just random people making shit up. I have no idea how they would fake reflections on car hoods and bumpers. It HAS to be realtime reflections.

#34 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

Link? I was following that thread on gaf and didnt see any mention of it. Sometimes its just random people making shit up. I have no idea how they would fake reflections on car hoods and bumpers. It HAS to be realtime reflections.

S0lidSnake

It was in that same thread where someone brought it up. They were having a discussion about it and no clarification on the matter.

#35 Posted by stjuart (52 posts) -

It looks fairly normal, and not really that next gen, compare to pc atleast, project cars overtakes it, (no pun intended, atleast in graphics. This game is still in alpha, so its still has potential to look even better.

#36 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -
Yeah totally fair comparison. Show me the benchmarks you get with those settings, I bet its sub 10fps.
#37 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

It looks fairly normal, and not really that next gen, compare to pc atleast, project cars overtakes it, (no pun intended, atleast in graphics. This game is still in alpha, so its still has potential to look even better.

stjuart

Project Cars was supposed to release Q2 2013, but I see that has now been pushed back to Q2 2014. An investigation by the English government into promises the company was making to investors probably played a role in the delay.

Another factor might have been that Slightly Mad studios are promising to release it on not only the PC, but the X360, PS3, Wii U and Occulus Rift. Given that they 'only' have a couple million pounds in the bank, that is a ton of platforms.

It will be interesting to see how it all comes together. Why not create a thread for Project Cars?

#38 Posted by Ben-Buja (2992 posts) -

Yeah totally fair comparison. Show me the benchmarks you get with those settings, I bet its sub 10fps.F1Lengend

Don't believe that is possible with playable framerate?

This is recorded at 2560x1440 with a single 680 GTX at maximum settings + ingame downsampling while running fraps.

It doesn't take much to max this at 1080P/60 fps, and I can show you a ton of similar pictures like above that were taken at normal gameplay settings.

#39 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

LOL @ you guys seriously debating over the graphics of these two games from those pics. Stop it! One has more realistic lighting and one has stylistic lighting. But I bet if you mix the pics from those two, 99% of the people out there wouldn't know which one is which.

In terms of image quality, and the type of screen shots most racers nowadays put out, what are we even comparing anymore? Maybe if they release wireframe shots so we can count the polygons in the wheels....

Someone should try it as a social experiment and put pics of Project Cars and say they are Drive Club or vice versa.

#40 Posted by RandoIphF (329 posts) -

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

Project Gotham? Ok, I'm paying attention. Please tell me the people who put together the excellent variety of music in PGR are on board too. NGHHHH... I loved PGR.

#41 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

RandoIphF

Project Gotham? Ok, I'm paying attention. Please tell me the people who put together the excellent variety of music in PGR are on board too. NGHHHH... I loved PGR.

I just could never really fall in love with PGR even though I played 1-3 and was so excited about Metropolis Street Racer on DC. I never liked the tracks that slowed you down so much, and starting off with slow cars and poor acceleration. I hope Drive Club is more like Ridge Racer/Forza Horizon in both sense of speed and long, curvey, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast tracks.

#42 Posted by RandoIphF (329 posts) -
I just could never really fall in love with PGR even though I played 1-3 and was so excited about Metropolis Street Racer on DC. I never liked the tracks that slowed you down so much, and starting off with slow cars and poor acceleration. I hope Drive Club is more like Ridge Racer/Forza Horizon in both sense of speed and long, curvey, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast tracks.alexwatchtower
I know, I remember you saying PGR wasn't your cup of tea wayyyy back in the Xbox board when you were still a site moderator. (I've been here over ten years non-stop so my memory goes back a good bit) The first game was kind of a proto-type. The second game, I felt, was a bit of a stumble. (I didn't like the sequel to Rallisport either, but the first one is some good memories) But the third and fourth games? I thought I was in heaven, fantastic games, the both of them.
#43 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]I just could never really fall in love with PGR even though I played 1-3 and was so excited about Metropolis Street Racer on DC. I never liked the tracks that slowed you down so much, and starting off with slow cars and poor acceleration. I hope Drive Club is more like Ridge Racer/Forza Horizon in both sense of speed and long, curvey, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast tracks.RandoIphF
I know, I remember you saying PGR wasn't your cup of tea wayyyy back in the Xbox board when you were still a site moderator. (I've been here over ten years non-stop so my memory goes back a good bit) The first game was kind of a proto-type. The second game, I felt, was a bit of a stumble. (I didn't like the sequel to Rallisport either, but the first one is some good memories) But the third and fourth games? I thought I was in heaven, fantastic games, the both of them.

Well rumor has it that when Bizzare creation was shut down, some of them created their own studio and some of the leads went to Evolution Studios. Drive Club is the only game Evolution Studios is working on so its likely the Bizzarre Creation leads have a good bit of input in the development.

The other studio is rumored to be making an exclusive for Microsoft.

EDIT: Found this:We expanded our vehicle handling and design team so that together, we have over 50 years experience working on the most prestigious racing titles out there, including WRC, Formula 1, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm, WipEout, Project Gotham Racing, GRID 2 and many more.

Sounds pretty freaking amazing. 

#44 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]I just could never really fall in love with PGR even though I played 1-3 and was so excited about Metropolis Street Racer on DC. I never liked the tracks that slowed you down so much, and starting off with slow cars and poor acceleration. I hope Drive Club is more like Ridge Racer/Forza Horizon in both sense of speed and long, curvey, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast tracks.RandoIphF

I never had a chance to try 4 and 5 because I sold my 360 right around that time, but I was already kind of burnt out because of the feel of the first ones.

I never played the second Rallisport either and I honestly don't know why.  Maybe because the first was so damn perfect and complete. The grass, draw distance, and those snow tracks....the Impreza. Mind blowing at the time.

#45 Posted by RandoIphF (329 posts) -
Technically speaking many Rally games have exceeded Rallisport Challenge over the years. But for some reason none of the ones that I play give me the same feeling I got from Rallisport, and man have I ever looked.
#46 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

I never cared to try another after Rallisport. It just did everything right. I played the hell out of that game. There's a few games that I played so much, I never really needed a sequel, at least for a long time. Ridge Racer on the PSX, Rallisport Challenge and Oblivion. 

And that just made me realize something that's been bugging me for a long time. In the original PSX Ridge Racer, I got everything there was to possibly get in that game....except I could never beat the damn black car at the end. Did anybody ever beat that freaking car without any codes or a wheel? 

crinale4kg7.jpg

Gooooooooooooood the AI on that thing was soooo cheap.