New Doom details emerge

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Is it going to be just hallways? I can not stand ID staging.

Also carrying more than two weapon is something I do not like.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

No ADS
Fast running
Enemy infighting
Medpacks
Procedural body damage, including chainsaw
Colored keycards
First-person finishers

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@wiouds said:

Why?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Sounds great. I can't wait to try out the beta.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#6  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

No ADS

Fast running

Enemy infighting

Medpacks

Colored keycards

First-person finishers

This sounds fantastic, I'm completely psyched for this game now

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

Hell yeah, sounds like a more awesome Cube.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wiouds

@cooolio said:

@wiouds said:

Why?

You need to think about what to carry instead of the mindless just take everything.

You also need to deal with what you face with what you have and not have the ideal weapon for any location.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Behardy24

@Black_Knight_00 said:

No ADS

Fast running

Enemy infighting

Medpacks

Colored keycards

First-person finishers

I won't believe it until I see it!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Black_Knight_00
@EPICCOMMANDER said:

Hell yeah, sounds like a more awesome Cube.

I remember that game. I used to play it a million years ago. Good stuff.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Sounds good but I'd been more excited if they hadn't told me and around 50 thousand livestreamers goodbye before they showed the gameplay.

Oh Well, Got Beta Access.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I'm just going to quote myself:

@alim298 said:

Hordes from hell? Demons shooting missiles at you? Intense melee combat? Gutting your enemies is procedural?

And more importantly

ID F*CKING 666??? 666???

I'M SO READDDDYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@wiouds said:

@cooolio said:

@wiouds said:

Why?

You need to think about what to carry instead of the mindless just take everything.

You also need to deal with what you face with what you have and not have the ideal weapon for any location.

Hmmm I get what you are saying, but you have remember that they are trying also keep that old school feel. I remember that people were complaining about being limited to two weapons in Bioshock Infinite, but i felt like they were wrong to do so because it was not that type of game. The game will probably be throwing a lot of enemies at you, so you will need all the fire power that you can get. Besides, even if you can carry a lot of weapons you will have to know how to use them and the best way to kill enemies.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wiouds

@cooolio said:

@wiouds said:

@cooolio said:

@wiouds said:

Why?

Hmmm I get what you are saying, but you have remember that they are trying also keep that old school feel. I remember that people were complaining about being limited to two weapons in Bioshock Infinite, but i felt like they were wrong to do so because it was not that type of game. The game will probably be throwing a lot of enemies at you, so you will need all the fire power that you can get. Besides, even if you can carry a lot of weapons you will have to know how to use them and the best way to kill enemies.

Lets hope old school feel does not go too far. Doom and Doom 2 were good games for there time and they earn their place in gaming history. The staging of them are out of date. Too bad the biggest flaws in the Wolfenstein the New Order and Rage both follows the same out dated staging that the Doom games had.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Black_Knight_00

QuakeCon Doom reveal finally released for everybody to see. It is UNBELIEVABLE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts
@wiouds said:

Lets hope old school feel does not go too far. Doom and Doom 2 were good games for there time and they earn their place in gaming history. The staging of them are out of date. Too bad the biggest flaws in the Wolfenstein the New Order and Rage both follows the same out dated staging that the Doom games had.

Yea, I'd much rather have the linear corridor design of modern FPS.

Having a bunch of weapons and having to decide what to use, depending on the situation is better (and more fun) for these types of games. Duh.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
@bussinrounds said:

The one on the left is level 4 (it may be 5, I'm not sure) of the first episode of Doom lol. I can tell just by looking without even clicking on it.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@wiouds: Old school FPS are still challenging, even with a whole slew of weapons, as long as the enemy variety and the level matches the avatar strength.

They cant homogenize everything to fit under the Halo/Call of Duty framework, beause those games are uniquely different. That style works for modern military shooters and besides, corpses do leave a lot of weapons around to compensate for lack of weaponry in those games.

DOOM's a different fantasy-sci-fi beast than military tactical. The light speed running , enemy variety etc'll demand players to switch out unique weapon attacks on the fly rather than having to always run back for old pickups. Plus its not environmental cover based. Its all dodge, strafe and shoot.

Give it a try eh. Who knows? you might like it.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wiouds

@platinumking320: I have tried them and that is why I have the standing I do. The staging is poor. Pointless non- linear levels. The encouragement to slowly move forwards and use cover as much as you can.

As a FPS, compared to current ones they suck and they suck compared to dungeon crawlers of that time.

Please down not try to pull out that worthless image of two maps that proves nothing.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Black_Knight_00

Well, I jinxed it. The Doom 4 reveal footage will likely not be shown again until 2015 (which implies all sorts of bad things about it).

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/471870/doom-reboot-unlikely-to-be-shown-again-until-2015/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bussinrounds

@wiouds:

You can't mean to tell me you really enjoy 3-4 hour tacked-on single-player campaigns, which are on rails, take place within a tiny, linear playable corridors, consist mostly of QTEs, following a quest marker, and the computer telling and showing you exactly where to shoot occasionally, can you ?

(Oh yea, they're also piss-easy)

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wiouds

@bussinrounds: They are better than the poor shootouts, wondering around pointless mazes, and mind numbing fights.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Behardy24

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Well, I jinxed it. The Doom 4 reveal footage will likely not be shown again until 2015 (which implies all sorts of bad things about it).

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/471870/doom-reboot-unlikely-to-be-shown-again-until-2015/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS

:(

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bussinrounds

@wiouds: What's a good shootout ? Hiding behind cover and waiting on your health to regenerate ?

Pointless mazes. LOL. Yea, I'd rather have a straight path with nothing to think about besides which respawining enemy to shoot first.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wiouds

@bussinrounds said:

@wiouds: What's a good shootout ? Hiding behind cover and waiting on your health to regenerate ?

Pointless mazes. LOL. Yea, I'd rather have a straight path with nothing to think about besides which respawining enemy to shoot first.

At least the shootouts are not in narrow hallway or plan rooms.

And inching forward to so only one enemy can attack you is some much better. Please come with something less tired. The healing by health packs system is not better or worse than regenerating health.

Did I say pointless maze? I meant mazes that hurts the game and they still fall short of the dungeon crawlers of that time. Even your exaggerated ideals are better than those mazes.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
@wiouds said:

@bussinrounds said:

At least the shootouts are not in narrow hallway or plan rooms.

And inching forward to so only one enemy can attack you is some much better. Please come with something less tired. The healing by health packs system is not better or worse than regenerating health.

Did I say pointless maze? I meant mazes that hurts the game and they still fall short of the dungeon crawlers of that time. Even your exaggerated ideals are better than those mazes.

I'd just like to say that regenerating health is for n00bs, that's honestly what I think about that. Health packs, and more importantly armor, allow for a greater amount of strategy and make the game more fun I think. Now the degrading armor that lost its effectiveness as you were hit that Doom 3 employed was absolutely god-awful, and I wish death upon the game designer that came up with that! Half-life 2 used degrading armor, but the armor absorbed all of the damage till it went to 50% I think, then it started to split with your health. Jedi Knight 2 had a similar system if I remember correctly, and both of those games were perfect.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bussinrounds

@wiouds said:

And inching forward to so only one enemy can attack you is some much better.

I like this in actual true tactical shooters that are somewhat realistic, like OFP/Arma games, old R6, GR1...

Not these bs CoD type games that try and put up this fake image of being realistic, when it's anything but the truth. It's a bad and ugly in between ground that tries waaay too hard to appeal to casuals.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@EPICCOMMANDER said:

I'd just like to say that regenerating health is for n00bs, that's honestly what I think about that. Health packs, and more importantly armor, allow for a greater amount of strategy and make the game more fun I think. Now the degrading armor that lost its effectiveness as you were hit that Doom 3 employed was absolutely god-awful, and I wish death upon the game designer that came up with that! Half-life 2 used degrading armor, but the armor absorbed all of the damage till it went to 50% I think, then it started to split with your health. Jedi Knight 2 had a similar system if I remember correctly, and both of those games were perfect.

Jedi Knight 2 had a shield counter acting exactly as a second health. Nothing of the sort.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Hopefully it plays like brutal doom and not that pos doom 3

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EPICCOMMANDER

@Black_Knight_00: who cares. Both of those games I listed were better than the crap armor system they used in doom3.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

love all the doom's and can't wait for 4.

hallway and atmospheric and simple doom3 mechanics were great. it's good decent fun and i've replayed all the doom games countless times. doom3 was a huge step forward for a number of reasons. (personally, i laugh at doom1/2 lovers who think they were better than 3 and it's actual modern graphics and gameplay. yes, i have these types of convo's with fallout 1/2 lovers, as well, though, those games do have some advantages over 3;)

i would love to see true mazes and puzzles and hardcore corridor shooting, but, more info/story development (character not so much) done in a creative fashion would be great.

more decision making (wiounds' auto gun pick-up comment is good) and more.... depth and customization and "hardcore-ness", lol, would be great, too.

a long game with innovative gameplay elements and just plain, MORE.

imo

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wiouds

@bussinrounds said:

@wiouds said:

And inching forward to so only one enemy can attack you is some much better.

I like this in actual true tactical shooters that are somewhat realistic, like OFP/Arma games, old R6, GR1...

Not these bs CoD type games that try and put up this fake image of being realistic, when it's anything but the truth. It's a bad and ugly in between ground that tries waaay too hard to appeal to casuals.

That tactic is the way someone plays while waiting for health to recover and is about as much fun as watching dry paint dry. The only other tactic is to dance. The dancing is not that good because you could pick up health items you do not mean to.

Realistic...one of the words that hurt gaming more than it help.

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:

Jedi Knight 2 had a shield counter acting exactly as a second health. Nothing of the sort.

It become worthless when you get the healing power in that game.

Health pack and regenerating system is the best.
The second best is carrying health packsThen regenerating health
Last health pack only (armor pieces included.)

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER

@wiouds: Health pack and regenerating system is the best. The second best is carrying health packsThen regenerating health Last health pack only (armor pieces included.)

I have no idea what you are saying here. Can you explain?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wiouds

@EPICCOMMANDER said:

@wiouds: Health pack and regenerating system is the best. The second best is carrying health packsThen regenerating health Last health pack only (armor pieces included.)

I am listing the best health system for a FPS from the best (Health pack and regenerating) to the worse (health pack only)

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 EPICCOMMANDER
@wiouds said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:

I am listing the best health system for a FPS from the best (Health pack and regenerating) to the worse (health pack only)

I know WHAT you are doing, but I'm not sure what you are saying. What does health pack mean? What does health pack only mean? You mean health only?? I'm confused.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Black_Knight_00

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@wiouds said:

I know WHAT you are doing, but I'm not sure what you are saying. What does health pack mean? What does health pack only mean? You mean health only?? I'm confused.

Let me try to interpret:

Health pack and regenerating (S.T.A.L.K.E.R., F.E.A.R., Halo 1), health pack only (Doom, Duke 3D)

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wiouds

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@wiouds said:

@EPICCOMMANDER said:

Health pack and regenerating system - is where you regenerate some health but you see need heath pack to get fully healed. Wolfenstein the new order with block of health being recovered or some halo games with the shields and health

The carry heath pack are where you carry a number of health pack on you like Farcry 3.

Regenerating health - health just recovers. You must know some games with this.

Health pack only mean that you health only by health packs you pick up. Like Doom 2.