New Aliens Colonial Marines Trailer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Narrated by.... none other than Rex Kwon Do! "Who wants to take a roundhouse to the face from these bad boys? Forget ABOUT IT."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Rahxdwr3k

Okay, but seriously, it doesn't look bad, but I am still worried. The world is so ripe for a decent Aliens game, but I can't shake the feeling that the end product is going to be a little unfocused. It seems like they paid a lot of attention to the environments, but the character models look pretty awful, and the gun work looks pretty utilitarian.

I'm still in, but I'm more apprehensive than I was a few months ago. 

#2 Posted by Metamania (12018 posts) -

I've been watching several trailers of this game and I have to agree.

While the environments do look fantastic, the in-game character models are surprinsgly ugly and I don't think Aliens: CM will do anything else but please the hardcore Aliens or even FPS fans out there. I think it's going to be a generic FPS, in other words.

#3 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

While the environments do look fantastic, the in-game character models are surprinsgly ugly and I don't think Aliens: CM will do anything else but please the hardcore Aliens or even FPS fans out there. I think it's going to be a generic FPS, in other words.

Metamania

Well yeah, even the built in stuff that they just had to implement and not even get creative with seems to be missing. One of the best things about Aliens was the feeling of constantly being surrounded -- hearing the massive pings on the radar closing in but not being able to see where they were coming from. From the trailer, it looks like the radar has to be used independently of a weapon, which is stupid if true, as it totally kills that feeling.

#4 Posted by BlendThree (119 posts) -

The ultimate advertising coup for this game would have been to have a trailer ready to open for Prometheus when it was still in theaters (or at the beginning of the DVD if not).

#5 Posted by sukraj (23060 posts) -

the world looks bland.

#6 Posted by MirkoS77 (7627 posts) -

Metamania
Was thinking the exact same. I think it looks and sounds decent enough, but te gunplay looks boring and very generic. Not to mention there's no feeling of tension. I predict a 6-7 here.
#7 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

I would only buy it if it has a lengthy ( for a FPS) and a quality single player campaign.

#8 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Personal impressions based on the 2 hour IGN gameplay.

Pros:

I like the way the motion tracker works. You hold a button and the Marine brings it up while raising whatever gun he's holding, so it functions how it did in the film.

The sound design hits every little Alien detail right on the head.

Environmental design is fantastic. Lighting also deserves some props as the Xeno shadows throughout each stage looked really good.

Armor doesn't regenerate. Individual health bars do but when the bar is gone, it's gone until you find a health pack. You only receive three health bars and a few hits from an Alien will straight up kill you. This should create decent tension since you can't be back at full strength by cowering in a corner. It also appeared that the acid was legitimately dangerous, though that remains to be seen until the game is released. 

Escape is an interesting competitive mode that gives the Marines various objectives but only a single life to complete it with. Teamwork matters here so hopefully a MP community will exist when the game releases.

Survival mode looks to bring every Alien element into the pick up and play styles of Gears of War's Horde or CoD's Zombies and will probably get the most play time from me. Setting up defense turrets and the like looked pretty cool.

It (finally) took the liberty to introduce new firearms to the franchise, such as two new assault rifles, that look like they belong in the Aliens universe. Previous Alien titles would only include weapons directly from the movie or lazy designs such as overly large Sniper Rifles and miniguns. The new assault rifle looks bad ass.

[spoiler] You find a shotgun that says Hicks on it. [/spoiler]

Cons:

Lighting and environmental detail aside, the graphics are seriously dated (and they were playing on Steam).

You can melee and stop attacking aliens dead in their tracks. This ruined the atmosphere and tension in the last AvP and it looked equally stupid here. Aliens are intense, powerful creatures capable of prying down giant steel doors but you can kinda just push them over. 

You're sidearm has unlimited ammo which throws ammo conservation out the window.

That stupid ass exploding, suicide xenomorph...

The starting gun of the game is the Pulse Rifle, with silly iron sights and a magazine that only holds 40 rounds. It looks less science fiction and more "hey, this is a totally plausible firearm in modern day now!" which is disappointing. The gun holds the designation "MK2" however, so it seems that you'll find a normal Pulse Rifle later on that functions exactly like the one from the movie. However, this just seemed lazy and a way to introduce the customization option while using the iconic weapon but not being overpowered.

Speaking of weapon customization...

Stuff I'm not sure how I feel about:

Weapon customization: You can put all the typical upgrades on various guns by levelling them up (of course.) such as extended magazines, under barrel shotsguns, red dot sights, laser sights, gun skins, etc etc. Could work, could be cool, could take me out of the setting. 

#9 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Well, I'm out.

Apparently it has a mediocre 5-6 hour campaign and really crappy AI. I have talked with a number of trusted sources on this that have played the game early. It pisses me off that Gearbox would release a crappy, short campaign and implement a multiplayer mode. That just seems like such an assh0le thing to do.

This goes in the rental queue right next to Ms. Croft.

#10 Posted by MirkoS77 (7627 posts) -

Well, I'm out.

Apparently it has a mediocre 5-6 hour campaign and really crappy AI. I have talked with a number of trusted sources on this that have played the game early. It pisses me off that Gearbox would release a crappy, short campaign and implement a multiplayer mode. That just seems like such an assh0le thing to do.

Shame-usBlackley

What do you expect?  Any amazing source like Aliens could pretty much be guaranteed to be a half-assed game.  It's either one or the other: great game based off a sh!tty premise, or a crappy game based off a great one.

#11 Posted by chicknfeet (15629 posts) -
I actually would have preferred if they released the old 90's arcade Aliens game. Probably wouldn't hook any FPS enthusiasts but it would have the multiplayer aspect that developers seem to be so obsessed over. Oh well Aliens.
#12 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
That's too bad I was really hoping Gearbox would nail this. No way in my right mind would I pay $60 for a 5 hour game, faaaaaiiiil. See you in the bargin bin this holiday season Aliens when I manage to get you for $9.99 new or $5 used.
#13 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -
I'm really hoping it'll be good, but I doubt it'll compare to Aliens vs Predator or the sequel that were on PC back in the day.
#14 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Well, I'm out.

MirkoS77

What do you expect?  Any amazing source like Aliens could pretty much be guaranteed to be a half-assed game.  It's either one or the other: great game based off a sh!tty premise, or a crappy game based off a great one.

AvP2 already proved there can be an absolutely amazing Aliens game. It blows my mind that this is something they can't release this generation. 

You'd think with the Arkham games more studios would be striving to make solid games based on popular licenses, but we keep getting garbage.

#15 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18526 posts) -
I have no idea why the Alien franchise must always be given to people with zero competence with first person shooters. I want Monolith back