never played metal gear solid.

#1 Posted by watchdogsrules (334 posts) -

the metal gear solid series looks AWESOME but i never considered buying them, one main reason is because, since its a single player only game, i don't want to feel like i wasted my money when i would finish the game. but after i saw ground zeros gameplay and saw the phantom pain trailer, that was more than enough to get me to buy at least one MGS game. so what are your thoughts on the game series? is it good?

#2 Edited by PimpHand_Gamer (277 posts) -

Just skip MGS 2 and your fine. That's not to say it's bad by any means, just that it all takes place on a ship and oil refinery or whatever it is, I didn't care for the camera and overall just didn't really like it. MGS on Playstation was really great, so is 4 on PS3. Personally I would play those 2 in particular. Of course don't forget the original NES version, never hurts to start there but I think MGS is a must.

#3 Posted by c_rakestraw (14605 posts) -

Just skip MGS 2 and your fine. That's not to say it's bad by any means, just that it all takes place on a ship and oil refinery or whatever it is, I didn't care for the camera and overall just didn't really like it. MGS on Playstation was really great, so is 4 on PS3. Personally I would play those 2 in particular. Of course don't forget the original NES version, never hurts to start there but I think MGS 2 is a must.

I'm pretty sure they included the original MSX versions of the first couple Metal Gear games on Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence? Could save him the trouble of tracking down the old NES versions if Subsistence is the one included in the HD collection.

#4 Posted by watchdogsrules (334 posts) -

@pimphand_gamer: i'm thinking of getting one when i get my PS4 since i don't own an PS3.

#5 Posted by Behardy24 (3067 posts) -

Recently, I wanted to buy the MGS legacy collection, but no GameStop near me has a copy :(

#6 Posted by watchdogsrules (334 posts) -

@behardy24: if they have a collection for X360 or PS2 i will gladly buy it.

#7 Posted by Behardy24 (3067 posts) -

@behardy24: if they have a collection for X360 or PS2 i will gladly buy it.

The legacy collection is only available for PS3. Kojima wanted to put it on the 360 as well, but he said that MGS 4 would take over 7 discs (because of the blu-ray) and he said that not including it would stop it being collection. He is still interested in transferring that legacy collection over to the xbox one and PS4 someday.

#8 Posted by watchdogsrules (334 posts) -

@behardy24: damn, i was really hoping it would hit 360, but i guess my next hope is for PS4.

#9 Posted by Behardy24 (3067 posts) -

@behardy24: damn, i was really hoping it would hit 360, but i guess my next hope is for PS4.

Yea, I guess. I think your Plan B should be picking it up on PS3.

#10 Posted by watchdogsrules (334 posts) -
#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Me Neither... And I aint gona start playing'em until I see some co-op !

#12 Posted by Behardy24 (3067 posts) -

Me Neither... And I aint gona start playing'em until I see some co-op !

Your missing out! D:

#13 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Behardy24

Theres still a plethora of other stealth games I need to get around to 1st, namely Splintel Cell Blacklist and Dishonoured. So yeah... And thats only after I wrap up all my other Co-Op games. Not to mention I need to get started on Strategy games, I literally have to play everything before I can consider Metal Gear Solid... Hell I'm getting Metal Gear Rising long before I get Metal Gear Solid. :)

#14 Posted by mastermetal777 (973 posts) -

I personally dislike the series, but if anything, start at the first game. Preferably, the Gamecube version called Twin Snakes.

#15 Edited by IamYourF4th3r (10 posts) -

@mastermetal777: I've played Twin Snakes, too, and then jumped to Metal Gear Solid (Ps1), MGS2, (PS2), Snake Eater (PS2), and have stopped there. Evidently I'm not a real fan of the series, but from those games in the series that I've played, was never really disappointed.

#16 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (277 posts) -

Arn't they releasing a collection of the entire series for PS4?

@Behardy24

Theres still a plethora of other stealth games I need to get around to 1st, namely Splintel Cell Blacklist and Dishonoured. So yeah... And thats only after I wrap up all my other Co-Op games. Not to mention I need to get started on Strategy games, I literally have to play everything before I can consider Metal Gear Solid... Hell I'm getting Metal Gear Rising long before I get Metal Gear Solid. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't really keep up much with the series much but I think Rising is that ninja style one, looks quite a lot different than any other MG. Dishonored is awesome btw, it's definitely my #1 stealth game of all time except for the fact it looks cartoonish. I hope the sequel gets released next year or sooner.

#17 Edited by PimpHand_Gamer (277 posts) -

@c_rakestraw said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

Just skip MGS 2 and your fine. That's not to say it's bad by any means, just that it all takes place on a ship and oil refinery or whatever it is, I didn't care for the camera and overall just didn't really like it. MGS on Playstation was really great, so is 4 on PS3. Personally I would play those 2 in particular. Of course don't forget the original NES version, never hurts to start there but I think MGS 2 is a must.

I'm pretty sure they included the original MSX versions of the first couple Metal Gear games on Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence? Could save him the trouble of tracking down the old NES versions if Subsistence is the one included in the HD collection.

You're probably right, I don't know of every MGS release and admit I'm not the biggest fan either. However it's easy to track down and play the NES version via emulator on a PC. I actually forgot they made a sequel on the NES, never played it.

#18 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@PimpHand_Gamer

Yep... Thats the one. ;)

I almost got the Digital Version of Dishonoured, Then I remembered the GOTY Edition.... I'l get that instead. :).... You know... After I get Splinter Cell, Quantum Conundrum, Crimes and Punishments, Infinity...... Dude theres just so many things I have to play 1st.