Neogaf documentary out now on GTTV. Dyack, Pachter, Cliff, fascinating look.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

EDIT: The documentary is now out

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/tr600d/shift-neogaf--a-perfect-little-world

#2 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Thats the teaser to the trailer. The trailer is coming May 21st. :P

VERY interested to see this documentary. They got some big names so it should be fun. After 5 years I am still waiting for my mother f*cking account to get activated. This is my third email address. if I dont get in now, i never will. 

They need to do a documentary on me. 

#3 Posted by RandoIphF (329 posts) -
I tried posting there a few years ago. Didn't think it was anything special, to be honest.
#4 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -
Wow a documentary on a gaming forum I can hardly contain my excitement I'm being a dick for no reason
#5 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I tried posting there a few years ago. Didn't think it was anything special, to be honest.RandoIphF

you got banned after 5 posts, didnt you?

#6 Posted by RandoIphF (329 posts) -

[QUOTE="RandoIphF"]I tried posting there a few years ago. Didn't think it was anything special, to be honest.S0lidSnake

Nope, I just got bored with it. Aside from Dyack or Jaffe cussing someone out, it was just an ugly outdated forum full of self important asshats. I'm pretty sure my account was deleted. They tend to delete accounts after a set amount of time being inactive, I do believe. I'll never bother applying for a new one.

The one I did apply for got approved in less than a week. thmonocleyo9yx3.gif

#7 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="RandoIphF"]I tried posting there a few years ago. Didn't think it was anything special, to be honest.RandoIphF

Nope, I just got bored with it. Aside from Dyack or Jaffe cussing someone out, it was just an ugly outdated forum full of self important asshats. I'm pretty sure my account was deleted. They tend to delete accounts after a set amount of time being inactive, I do believe. I'll never bother applying for a new one.

The one I did apply for got approved in less than a week. thmonocleyo9yx3.gif

TBH, the place isnt all that when it comes to discussions. It's like System Wars in the sense that only the loudest voices are heard. THe reason why I frequent is to get all the news, the gifs and previews in one place. I wouldnt trade this forum for neogaf. 

#8 Posted by RandoIphF (329 posts) -
The gifs ARE lovely, so I suppose they do contribute something.
#9 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
The gifs ARE lovely, so I suppose they do contribute something.RandoIphF
All the news you see here, its from there. No place on the web has gaming news like gaf.
#10 Posted by RandoIphF (329 posts) -

[QUOTE="RandoIphF"]The gifs ARE lovely, so I suppose they do contribute something.dvader654
All the news you see here, its from there. No place on the web has gaming news like gaf.

That's great, but I'd rather discuss that gaming news that comes from gaf, anywhere BUT at gaf. The quality of the community aspect of any site is paramount to me, it's the single most important factor. It's why I can't stay away from GS, consistently great forums in terms of visual appeal, features, (though the ZDnet boards had neither of those last two) and the community.

#11 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="RandoIphF"]The gifs ARE lovely, so I suppose they do contribute something.RandoIphF

That's great, but I'd rather discuss that gaming news that comes from gaf, anywhere BUT at gaf.

So true. :lol: The only times it is fun to post at gaf is if you are involved in one of their community game forums. The LBP forums were incredible. But that is it. I never use my account to have meaningful gaming discussion.
#12 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

It took months for my account to be approved, and I had to wonder how I can become a "Member" instead of a "Junior Member" after a hundred posts. I never knew how important Neogaf is to have a documentary on it.

#13 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

VERY interested to see this documentary. They got some big names so it should be fun. After 5 years I am still waiting for my mother f*cking account to get activated. This is my third email address. if I dont get in now, i never will. 

S0lidSnake

I wouldn't be too disappointed. After building up your name for years, you will likely one day get permabanned for reasons unkown to you. Happened twice, although I think I know why the second time and if so it's a pretty shitty reason to do that to members who actually helped build the place in the first place.

I remember posting A LOT on that forum in the early 2000s when it was still part of the Gaming-Age website. Then it became like a very weird, group of gaming Nazis, with really immature moderators, unwritten rules, who would ban people for the weirdest reasons. Like if you didn't happen to read some old thread on posting a meme, and did it, you were screwed.

Even now, if you spend a week on neogaf, you will notice the sick amount of bans that take place on a daily basis.

#14 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I lurk there quite frequently. Applied for an account a couple months back but I've heard it can take a very long time to get approved - months, if not a year or more. Knowing my luck if I did actually get approved I'd probably end up getting banned for some dumb reason. 

#15 Posted by HipHopBeats (2909 posts) -

Never saw what was so special about Neogaf forums. The site looks very static and unorganized with random threads all over the place.

#16 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

It took months for my account to be approved, and I had to wonder how I can become a "Member" instead of a "Junior Member" after a hundred posts. I never knew how important Neogaf is to have a documentary on it.

thom_maytees

How many months? I tried to register there over a month ago and I still haven't heard anything. I can log in but can't post. It was already enough of a pain that I couldn't use a normal email address since apparantly if you use a regular gmail or hotmail account like everybody else in the world you're not good enough. Worst registration system I've ever seen for a forum. It's ridiculous. So yeah, how many months should I expect to wait?

#17 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

[QUOTE="thom_maytees"]

burgeg

How many months? I tried to register there over a month ago and I still haven't heard anything. I can log in but can't post. It was already enough of a pain that I couldn't use a normal email address since apparantly if you use a regular gmail or hotmail account like everybody else in the world you're not good enough. Worst registration system I've ever seen for a forum. It's ridiculous. So yeah, how many months should I expect to wait?

The only time I needed approval, my waiting period was less than a week. Before that they didn't used to ask for it.

They originally only did that so they can permaban you by making sure you were tied to your ISP's mailing service. Tread carefully and try not to argue with Evilore. My best advice is don't post much when you first start.

Honestly the forum can make you feel like you are walking on eggshells at times because despite their claim of fairness it's hard to figure out what is acceptable and isn't and it seems some posters can get away with things others can't.

#18 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="RandoIphF"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"] All the news you see here, its from there. No place on the web has gaming news like gaf. dvader654

That's great, but I'd rather discuss that gaming news that comes from gaf, anywhere BUT at gaf.

So true. :lol: The only times it is fun to post at gaf is if you are involved in one of their community game forums. The LBP forums were incredible. But that is it. I never use my account to have meaningful gaming discussion.

The LBP community is still healthy, but the Neogaf's LBP threads are dead. The permbanning of jumpbutton (a great creator who posted a lot of news on Neogaf) probably had a lot to do with it.

#19 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

S0lidSnake

SolidSnake is my alias on a lot of gaming forums and I tend to talk a lot of smack about the Neogaf. At one time Dennis Dyack and I were kind of in a coalition to bring them down. It didn't work, but apparently Neogaf remembers. Sorry about that.

http://www.1up.com/news/dyack-1up-forums-reform

Dyack concludes, "NeoGAF and other forums like this that don't have good management are not only hurting society and hurting the videogame industry, they're in decline, and they need to reform quickly before people stop listening to them.... If the moderators and people who run the site think they aren't doing any damage, they are sorely mistaken, and it's only a matter of time before something bad happens."

#20 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

CarnageHeart

SolidSnake is my alias on a lot of gaming forums and I tend to talk a lot of smack about the Neogaf. At one time Dennis Dyack and I were kind of in a coalition to bring them down. It didn't work, but apparently Neogaf remembers. Sorry about that.

http://www.1up.com/news/dyack-1up-forums-reform

Dyack concludes, "NeoGAF and other forums like this that don't have good management are not only hurting society and hurting the videogame industry, they're in decline, and they need to reform quickly before people stop listening to them.... If the moderators and people who run the site think they aren't doing any damage, they are sorely mistaken, and it's only a matter of time before something bad happens."

The best part of gaf is how easily it exposes you if you are a tool. And Dyack proved that many many times over on gaf. Lost all respect for the man. As for the doom and gloom from him, lol yeah ok.
#21 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/tr600d/shift-neogaf--a-perfect-little-world

Documentary came out today. 30 minutes long. Some good stuff in there. Some amazing quotes from Pachter, who you have to love at this point. A great look into one of gamings most interesting communities and how some developers view it. 

#22 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

In the infamous words of NeoGAF I want my 30 minutes back. Clearly this video targetted the casual demographic ;)

On a more serious note, I thought what Dyack said was pretty interesting as I always felt NeoGAF used him to get a little bit more famous. "Look we're the site that banned a videogame developer. We're that important!"

But in my interpretation of what he meant and is often the case with most dictatorial forums where the power rests in the hands of typically permanently appointent few, NeoGAF, the members, the community and the owner constantly dissects, criticizes, scrutinizes and often times attacks various public figures or products of the industry often without restraint. Yet, Evilore, aka Tyler Malka, was not able to handle the same level of criticism, discussed on a different website and banned him for those messages.

Just my two cents.

#23 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

I tried posting there a few years ago. Didn't think it was anything special, to be honest.RandoIphF

Same here, except I never tried posting there. 

#24 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Documentary came out today. 30 minutes long. Some good stuff in there. Some amazing quotes from Pachter, who you have to love at this point. A great look into one of gamings most interesting communities and how some developers view it. 

dvader654

Yup. Excellent stuff. Props to Evillore for not selling out. 

I like how the community moderates itself and doesnt get too hung up on curse words or being PC all the time. We need more of that around here.