Neo Geo X Gold now available for pre order.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Heirren (18926 posts) -
Amazon and GameStop are now taking pre orders. Anybody else tempted?
#2 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

You realize that it's a pre-loaded system, right? Granted, it's a very nice and high-quality pre-loaded system; but you still can't play Neo Geo carts or CDs on it. I think for $200, it should be able to play actual Neo Geo games. Not worth it IMO.

And it's only pre-loaded with 20 games. I've seen PS2 game collections with a much higher game count than that.

#3 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8171 posts) -
I'll be waiting to see what kind of support it gets, I doubt I'll be getting one.
#4 Posted by Byshop (12833 posts) -

Probably not, but it's pretty neat. I had a CDZ system back in the day but I decided it wasn't worth the extra cash. This is cool, but the lack of ability to play AES carts is a bit dissapointing. Still, they say they are going to release X carts in the future which may be interesting. If you can get games like Samurai Showdown V and Metal Slug 5 for less than $400 a pop in X format then it might be worth checking out.

-Byshop

#5 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

You realize that it's a pre-loaded system, right? Granted, it's a very nice and high-quality pre-loaded system; but you still can't play Neo Geo carts or CDs on it. I think for $200, it should be able to play actual Neo Geo games. Not worth it IMO.

And it's only pre-loaded with 20 games. I've seen PS2 game collections with a much higher game count than that.

Emerald_Warrior

#6 Posted by caryslan2 (2140 posts) -

It's a cool idea, but the price if what kills the deal for me. I can easily get a 3DS, Wii, or Xbox 360 for much cheaper and two of those systems have Neo Geo games for download. I like the idea of this system, but it's hard to justify spending that kinda money on 20 year old tech. Especially when you consider the fact that Neo Geo games are not a rarity on modern systems. We've had collections, and all three consoles have their own selection of Neo Geo games. And while there is a chance that more games will come out on cards, I just don't think hat will be enough.

I have to say, the price is the only thing that is stopping me from getting one. If this were 59.99 or so, I would be the first one in line to get the system. But at 199.99 dollars, its at a price range where it competing with modern Video Game systems. Hell, I would have even gone all the way up to 129.99 considering a handheld is also included in the package. But ithis is not the 16-bit era wherethe Neo-Geo was the most powerful system on the marketplace and well-worth its hefty price tag.

Simply put, this is a niche product and I'm wondering how long it will stay on store shelves. If they had priced it lower, they might have attracted older gamers like myself that missed having a Neo Geo at home the first time it was around. But 199.99, that's way too much for something like this.

I'm glad SNK is willing to bring back their older system to the marketplace. I kinda wish other companies would do the same. But I just think the price is too high. It's a cool idea, but the price is a bit much.

#7 Posted by Byshop (12833 posts) -

It's a cool idea, but the price if what kills the deal for me. I can easily get a 3DS, Wii, or Xbox 360 for much cheaper and two of those systems have Neo Geo games for download. I like the idea of this system, but it's hard to justify spending that kinda money on 20 year old tech. Especially when you consider the fact that Neo Geo games are not a rarity on modern systems. We've had collections, and all three consoles have their own selection of Neo Geo games. And while there is a chance that more games will come out on cards, I just don't think hat will be enough.

I have to say, the price is the only thing that is stopping me from getting one. If this were 59.99 or so, I would be the first one in line to get the system. But at 199.99 dollars, its at a price range where it competing with modern Video Game systems. Hell, I would have even gone all the way up to 129.99 considering a handheld is also included in the package. But ithis is not the 16-bit era wherethe Neo-Geo was the most powerful system on the marketplace and well-worth its hefty price tag.

Simply put, this is a niche product and I'm wondering how long it will stay on store shelves. If they had priced it lower, they might have attracted older gamers like myself that missed having a Neo Geo at home the first time it was around. But 199.99, that's way too much for something like this.

I'm glad SNK is willing to bring back their older system to the marketplace. I kinda wish other companies would do the same. But I just think the price is too high. It's a cool idea, but the price is a bit much.

caryslan2

Still a lot cheaper than any home option SNK has released to date... :)

-Byshop

#8 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Maybe if it was powerful,had HD,way more preloaded games,and new games,it'd be better.

#9 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

caryslan2

Other companies have done it already, for a long time.

SEGA has released a few plug and play systems in cooperation with CAPCOM, and has also licensed both third party handhelds and consoles that accept Mega Drive cartridges.

#10 Posted by mariokart64fan (19699 posts) -

they dont license those knock offs , they are only able to do those knock offs because the copyrighted materiial is only good for 10 yrs from the original date , unless they renew the genesis which isnt gonna happen since sega dont make hardware no more

either way 200 is a rip off for old tech , i bought a atari flashback with the same number of games for 19.99 at walmart

#11 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

they dont license those knock offs , they are only able to do those knock offs because the copyrighted materiial is only good for 10 yrs from the original date , unless they renew the genesis which isnt gonna happen since sega dont make hardware no more

either way 200 is a rip off for old tech , i bought a atari flashback with the same number of games for 19.99 at walmart

mariokart64fan

Of course there's a whole bunch of pirate knock-offs, there always has been, but they do license some of them actually.

Copyright material has never stopped anybody. There were plenty of pirated Famicom and Mark-III systems even when they were still running.

#12 Posted by Heirren (18926 posts) -

Emerald_Warrior
There's a game card slot. What draws me to it is it's size, construction quality--I like no frills portables like the gba. I know the library isn't there yet, but who's to say smaller indie devs won't support it? Something like this could finally replace my gba sp.