Need help on Bayonetta (PS3) - General gameplay/controls questions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

Hi all, I just received my copy of Bayonetta in the mail that I bought used. Unfortunately, the moron who sold it to me from Amazon was dishonest and did not insert the instruction manual with it, so while I've learned the basic ins and outs of the gameplay, combo system and most items so far, there are some things I don't get.

1) Under the energy bar there's a meter consisiting of numerous purple crystals, that fill up when you get the 'Witch's Time' abilities by narrowly dodging attacks. Is Witches Time the only way to fill this up, and WHAT exactly is it used for? I've acquired purple butterfly items to fill it up but don't know how this meter is utilized - do you get a special attack ability or something? If so, how do you use it?

2) Those halos you collect - when do you get to use them? I saw after completing the Prologue that you can either use points by playing a sort of mini-game or you can trade in your points for halos. What are halos used for, and what do you get by using them? Is that black guy you talk to (forget the name) some sort of merchant you trade things in to? Where is he located?

3) The save system saves consistently throughout your gameplay, and I've noticed that it saves the amount of items I collect but I can't start mid-level if I turn the game off, but need to start at the beginning once again. So I guess the save doesn't actually save where you are but it does save what you've gotten. Do you only get to save after you complete each section/chapter?

4) The concoction system is strange, you collect various red, green and yellow "orbs" and then you need to go to that screen that fills up the meters, at certain points for some items you rotate the right joystick to concoct it. Can only single items be concocted together or are there ways to fill up a meter a bit, and mix and match in order to get a concoction ability? Does the game automatically display the 'rotate R' icon when you hit a point on the meter that you're able to concoct something?

5) I don't get the storyline, who is Bayonetta? Some kind of mercenary, vigilante or something?

6) Why have they not made a game that pins Dante of Devil May Cry with Bayonetta on a 2-player demon hunting adventure? :P (that's a joke)

7) Finally, is there anything else i should know about items, gameplay ins and outs and whatever for this game that you would suggest for someone who does not have an accompanying instruction manual?

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

I'd just like to say that unless the seller specifically mentioned that he did not have the instruction manual, you can take it up with Amazon's customer service probably. First, just contact the seller and see what the deal is. Did he mention that the game came included with the manual?

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

Hi all, I just received my copy of Bayonetta in the mail that I bought used. Unfortunately, the moron who sold it to me from Amazon was dishonest and did not insert the instruction manual with it, so while I've learned the basic ins and outs of the gameplay, combo system and most items so far, there are some things I don't get.

1) Under the energy bar there's a meter consisiting of numerous purple crystals, that fill up when you get the 'Witch's Time' abilities by narrowly dodging attacks. Is Witches Time the only way to fill this up, and WHAT exactly is it used for? I've acquired purple butterfly items to fill it up but don't know how this meter is utilized - do you get a special attack ability or something? If so, how do you use it?

That's the magic gauge. It fills up as you fight, when it reaches a certain level you can perform torture attacks. You know torture attacks?

2) Those halos you collect - when do you get to use them? I saw after completing the Prologue that you can either use points by playing a sort of mini-game or you can trade in your points for halos. What are halos used for, and what do you get by using them? Is that black guy you talk to (forget the name) some sort of merchant you trade things in to? Where is he located?

Halos are the currency. You spend them on new moves, health items, new costumes, amulets.... have you gone to Rodin's store?

3) The save system saves consistently throughout your gameplay, and I've noticed that it saves the amount of items I collect but I can't start mid-level if I turn the game off, but need to start at the beginning once again. So I guess the save doesn't actually save where you are but it does save what you've gotten. Do you only get to save after you complete each section/chapter?

I don't remember this....

4) The concoction system is strange, you collect various red, green and yellow "orbs" and then you need to go to that screen that fills up the meters, at certain points for some items you rotate the right joystick to concoct it. Can only single items be concocted together or are there ways to fill up a meter a bit, and mix and match in order to get a concoction ability? Does the game automatically display the 'rotate R' icon when you hit a point on the meter that you're able to concoct something?

Don't remember either

5) I don't get the storyline, who is Bayonetta? Some kind of mercenary, vigilante or something?

Don't bother that much with the storyline in your first playtrhough. It's hard to understand, you might get it the second time. :P

6) Why have they not made a game that pins Dante of Devil May Cry with Bayonetta on a 2-player demon hunting adventure? :P (that's a joke)

It should be a 3 player game with Ryu Hayabusa also included :P

7) Finally, is there anything else i should know about items, gameplay ins and outs and whatever for this game that you would suggest for someone who does not have an accompanying instruction manual?

meh... game manual is kinda crappy for this game. doesn't tell you much.

metalgrinch

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 metalgrinch

Thanks a bunch, yea I do know torture attacks as I've used them before... there's lots of combos here it's pretty insane, but fun at the same time. And I haven't been to Rodin's store yet, I'm guessing that's in those "hell" portals probably? I'm sure I'll run into there pretty soon.

Most manuals aren't too great with games these days so I guess it's not a big deal that I don't have it. Thanks again for the info :)

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

Thanks a bunch, yea I do know torture attacks as I've used them before... there's lots of combos here it's pretty insane, but fun at the same time. And I haven't been to Rodin's store yet, I'm guessing that's in those "hell" portals probably? I'm sure I'll run into there pretty soon.

Most manuals aren't too great with games these days so I guess it's not a big deal that I don't have it. Thanks again for the info :)

metalgrinch

no problem. and yea the hell portals are where rodin sells you stuff. I recommend going there anytime you get the chance. there is some really fun new moves and weapons you can get there.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts
I don't think I ever touched the manual, I played the hell out of it though and did pretty well. Wasn't there like a tutorial mode or anything?
metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 metalgrinch

There is a tutorial part in the beginning, plus a chance to practice combos while the game's loading.... but there's still stuff with items and accessories and stuff that I wasn't sure what to do with because it would be in the manual. The game's freakin awesome though, very comparable to Devil May Cry although not at solid.

Spirit_of_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spirit_of_87
Member since 2003 • 2423 Posts

Wait for Platinums next game Anarchy Reigns or Max Anarchy as it's known in other regions.

7) Finally, is there anything else i should know about items, game play ins and outs and whatever for this game that you would suggest for someone who does not have an accompanying instruction manual?

Learn to parry attacks and dodge off set. Dodge off set is the key to extending your combos as well as juggling, you can also extend combos while in panther form. You will rarely need items so don't worry about that yet but, if you're having trouble with the last boss then use a yellow lolly pop which makes you invincible. Buy upgrade moves early and often in Rodins store particularly the ones that help you with witch time. Learnhow to parry.

metalgrinch