Need help finding a PC to run newer games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DRJMoriarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DRJMoriarity
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

So some clever monkeys out in the world of the internet have created a guess at the specs of the new fallout 4, something in the ball park of

• OS: Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 or Windows 8 and above

• CPU: Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz / Phenom II X4 970

• RAM: 8 GB System Memory

• GPU VRAM: 2GB

• GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 or AMD Radeon R9 280

• HDD: 28 GB Free Hard Drive Space

• DX: DirectX 11
    And I purchased my PC around the ass end of highschool aboooout 6 years ago in order to run the newly released sims 3, and its trucked along ever since, most the parts have been replaced so its barely even the same machine anymore, but its about as good as I can get it with my experience at modifying PCs and I dont feel comfortable buying the parts just to have them not be compatible like last time, and so I want to invest into a prebuilt gaming PC that can run these specs and keep up with this generation of console games.
    Any suggestions?
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8939446
    I was thinking of buying this sumabitch right here, but I have to admit I worry I will make a mistake when comparing the statistics, anyone mind letting me know if the specs on this Borg thingy will run the requirements above? It would be a big help.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

It's a terrible POS; weak cpu and terrible GPU.

You can build much,much better by youself(or use NCIX and pay 50$ so they build it up for you)

tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

If you're worried about compatible parts you can always check with http://pcpartpicker.com

You can choose the parts that are most important first and it will intelligently narrow down compatible parts.
Sure, it's more convenient buying an all in one system but the specs vs price is horrible.

Also, you should tell us what resolution and framerate you are targeting to play in and what graphic settings are important to you.

DRJMoriarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DRJMoriarity

@tatman87: Well heres the thing, I wouldnt know what a "Good" part was, id do my research best I could but honestly iv fucked up so many times iv lost all confidence in my capabilities to build a PC, Last time I had a friend recommend to me every part I needed and my PC is I think shittier than before I upgraded it...
I am sitting on a (R) MSI N660 GAMING 2GD5/OC GDDR5 HDMI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Inside of my PC...and it cant even run skyrim anymore... I was promised this was a good graphics card..

The Parts I was told to buy were
(R) MSI N660 GAMING 2GD5/OC GDDR5 HDMI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Graphics card
Than I had to get a ASUS H61M-E UATX INTEL PCIE 3.0
And than I bought a 1 Intel Core i5-750 SLBLC 2.667Ghz/8m 2.5 GT/s DMI SOCKET 1156 TESTED QUAD CORE
About 8 gigs of ram and Acer Aspire H57D02 motherboard X3950 X5950 Intel H57 LGA 1156 DDR3 HDMI Mother board...

When I put it all together the machine screemed and wouldnt turn on, it was a miserbale piece of junk, I had to take it to a guy to put it together for me which costed me 260 dollars cause he had to repace a bunch of the parts and replace the case and now its this cobbled together Frankenstein of a PC with wires and cords spilling out every ware and the asshole took 2 months to do that job... and so after that experience I figured id just buy a gaming PC with flashy lights and fancy sleek look so that at least it would play games... I just want something to keep up with this new generation of consoles... its really annoying trying to put all this money together and just simpy failing at building a PC twice in a row.

I am also considering just buying a steambox for gaming and keeping my PC for.. ya know... computer stuff.

DRJMoriarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DRJMoriarity

I made that post pretty late, so I have to refresh it so people can see it again.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/can-we-build-a-gaming-pc-on-a-console-budget/1100-6418829/

A year old but should help you. Parts will be cheaper I'd imagine.

It'll run Fallout 4 but if you want 60FPS you'll have to dig deeper.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Okay so I took the liberty of doing a pcpartpicker build to make you a build that has no compatibility issues (The site mentions a bios update that isn't needed but is easy to do anyway if it was), will run games at ultra 1080p settings and unless you get a broken part (Does happen occasionally only once out of all my builds has this happened) or somehow **** up (which is damn near impossible too do considering things only plug into their corresponding plug socket).

I know you've had issues before but trust me this is the best way of going about it. Seems you've just got bad luck, with idiots giving you parts too buy that don't support the parts you have. And a computer shop guy screwing you because I used to be one of them and it's obvious he fucked your wallet long and hard while putting off doing what should have been a couple of hours of work for months. The way you describe it he took you for a ride.

It's sad too see people like that ruining peoples experiences with pc's, are still running around and in actual business. I had to have a guy do a rebuild of mine as the power supply tested okay but wasn't and I and others couldn't figure out why it wouldn't post on start up. Cost me $50 dollars for the full rebuild and finding out the problem and it took a day and a half too get it done and out the door with a new power supply (old one sent back for refund). So as you can see he is horrible at his job who ever it was you brought it too. I literally dropped it off went got drunk woke up ate breakfast got drunk again and picked it up before dinner.

Here is the AMD build costing $734: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7nCnVn

You could also make it cheaper by using your old storage if it's a sata connection and the ram if it's DDR3, same with the case but the one I gave is rather nice I've used it before for a couple of builds.

If you want help in putting it together watch linus tech tips build guides on youtube. He makes great videos on all things tech and even explains in other videos what all the parts are what they mean and how to take advantage of their abilities. His channel is great for a person not sure of what parts do and why.

I know you said your sick of building them but, out of all the 7 builds I've done for friends and myself, not one of them has kicked the bucket had any major issues (besides that power supply), and they all play games at high/ultra 60fps at 1080p for under $900. You wont find that in any pre built on the market for around the same price that's for sure. Hell this machine should be able to do even 1440p at lower then 60fps.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#8 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

You can also go to https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/ and you can get pretty custom input and step-by-step instructions.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@drjmoriarity you'll find more help here on Hardware forum *moved*

Can't tell yet what the required specs for Fallout 4 but since they use the same engine I would say a bit higher than the ones recommended for Fallout 3.

You should be fine with a 500$ brand new PC, what's your current specs? maybe some of them can be saved

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

@tatman87: what he said. Go to pcpartpicker build your PC it will tell you if the parts arnt compatible. It usually doesn't let you equip parts that arnt compatible.