Need Help Finding a Particular Kind of Game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iBuSHiDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iBuSHiDo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

Hello, fellow gamers. I need your help in finding more awesome games, but I'm having a bit of trouble.

So recently I have been playing a particular kind of game more often than anything else. I basically just call them Short & Sweet games. It basically just means any game that you can beat in one sitting and that is usually some kind of adventure or story driven game. Obviously there are a ton of little old games that are short and beatable in one sitting. Contra comes to mind. I must have beaten that over 100 times when I was younger. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in one sitting. I don't mean games like that.

I think the first one I played that would qualify would probably be Portal. It was modern, had an interesting story, unique gameplay, and I beat it in one sitting.

Then Journey came along on the PSN. I loved that game. Again, it was interesting, had unique gameplay elements, and I beat it in one sitting.

After that, games like that stood out to me and I found myself being more excited to play those kinds. Since then I have also played The Walking Dead, Gone Home, The Stanley Parable, and most recently, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I loved these games.

There have been a couple of exceptions I have made for other games that are just like these kinds, except they are a liiiittle bit longer and you probably wouldn't beat them in one sitting. I also would consider Bastion in this category. It took me more than one sitting, bit aside from that exception, it felt like that kind of game to me anyway. I also have Dust: An Elysian Tail, but haven't played it yet. Even though I might also have to make the exception with the time it takes by maybe one more sitting, from what I've seen it also comes across as one of those kinds of games to me. I also have LIMBO and from what I hear, it would fit nicely as well.

So yeah, sorry if this was too long, but for those of you who read the whole thing, thank you and please feel free to offer up any suggestions of some of your favorite games that would fit nicely into this group of games. If you can, try to stick with games I could get on PC. Otherwise PSN is also doable and after my girlfriend gets a 3DS for xmas, I could probably use that too. Just as a quick reference, here are the games I played or have that are in this group:

Portal

Journey

The Walking Dead

Gone Home

The Stanley Parable

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Bastion

Dust: An Elysian Tail

LIMBO

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

What systems

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Datura and The Unfinished Swan on PS3

If you enjoyed Portal you should also love Quantum Conundrum.

iBuSHiDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iBuSHiDo

@turtlethetaffer: I mentioned it in my post. I'm looking mostly for PC games, but I can also do PSN games and after xmas I'll be able to play games on 3DS as well.

@Black_Knight_00: I've never heard of Datura. I'll look that up. I have heard good things about The Unfinished Swan. Is it anything more than a puzzle game though? From what I saw, it didn't seem like it would have anything in common with the games I've listed except the small similarity to Portal because it's a short puzzle game. I haven't heard of Quantum Conundrum either. I'll look that up too. Thanks for the suggestions!

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 turtlethetaffer

@iBuSHiDo: Whoops, sorry!

Maybe you could try a Mario game on 3DS? they're usually fairly short and levels are ripe for speed running.

Just to be clear, you're looking for games that are story heavy and can more or less be beaten in one sitting?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@iBuSHiDo said:

@Black_Knight_00: I've never heard of Datura. I'll look that up. I have heard good things about The Unfinished Swan. Is it anything more than a puzzle game though? From what I saw, it didn't seem like it would have anything in common with the games I've listed except the small similarity to Portal because it's a short puzzle game. I haven't heard of Quantum Conundrum either. I'll look that up too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Datura is very peculiar, not many people like it, but I personally love it. It's like taking a stroll through an abstract painting.

The Unfinished Swan is a mix of platforming and light puzzle solving. It uses different shaders as game mechanics, which in itself is a very clever concept.

Quantum Conundrum is basically Portal. It was even designed by the same person. There's no way you will dislike it if you like Portal.

iBuSHiDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iBuSHiDo

@turtlethetaffer: Yeah, like basically anything that's kinda meaningful and story driven, but that doesn't feel like it drags on forever. Something that is concise, yet effective. Journey, Gone Home, Bastion, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, etc. Basically nothing longer than Bastion, but the length is only part of it. I'm not just looking for short games to beat. They have to have that uniqueness and story like the ones I've listed. So something that's just fun or cute or has puzzles isn't really enough. I'm not sure how many of the games I've listed you guys have played, but if any of you have played at least a couple, you might know what I mean.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turtlethetaffer

@iBuSHiDo: I usually play longer games; sorry, IDK if I can really help.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

What about The Swapper? It's an indie game that got good reviews. The only negative thing I've heard about it is that it is short, but that shouldn't be a problem with you. I haven't played it but I want it.

You might also like Dysfunctional Systems. Again, I haven't played it, but it is a visual novel type game. It's story driven where you make choices, I've heard it has two possible endings. It's also episodic like the walking dead. Only problem is because it's indie developed, there is a chance the other episodes may not be released because of lack of funding. First episode is out and is supposed to be short.