Naughty Dog: PS4 has 5GB RAM - 6 cores available to devs.

  • 59 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

So it turns out those RAM rumors were true after all, eh? Not to be a cocky son a bitch, but I told you so.

Link: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/11/naughty-dog-explains-ps4s-cpu-memory-and-more-in-detail-and-how-they-can-make-them-run-really-fast/

I find it funny that this was actually a spin article where Naughty Dog boasted about the hidden power of the PS4, and then gaf found little things like this that Sony has refused to confirm for over a year now.

So to put this into perspective... 40% of the RAM is locked off and used by the OS for features like Sharing, apps like Netflix. On top of that, a quarter of the CPU is locked away for the OS as well. Now this is already an extraordinarily weak laptop CPU.

I am not sure if it explains the Watch Dogs downgrade, or BF4 only running at 900p, and Thief's issues, but locking away that much resources for non-gaming features for a console 'Built for the Gamers - By the Gamers' is kinda lame. I really want to know why the Vita needs only 256MB to run all these apps except for the Share feature.

I also like how Naughty Dog mentions that the PS4 GPU can do 1080p with 60 fps. Well, yeah every GCN GPU can do this but you have to turn the settings down to Low to achieve that.

More in the gaf thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782997

#2 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (12958 posts) -

Why didn't you post this in System Wars. I think you forgot to check the drop box when you was on the Start New Topic page.

#3 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Why didn't you post this in System Wars. I think you forgot to check the drop box when you was on the Start New Topic page.

You are new here. So I will let this one slide.

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12958 posts) -

What ? What did I miss ?

#5 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

What ? What did I miss ?

15 years of this forum's history.

#6 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Also, backseat modding derails threads. You have managed to derail this thread already with the first reply, and now this thread is about you. Typical Lulu.

If you have a problem with a thread, take it to the mods.

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12958 posts) -

Would you stop jerking me around, Ive been here since 2010, your thread is hardly a GD discusion. Sooo...... Why Here ?

#8 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7809 posts) -

Yeah, I should totally care about that, but I don't.

#9 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Would you stop jerking me around, Ive been here since 2010, your thread is hardly a GD discusion. Sooo...... Why Here ?

lol you serious? We have ALWAYS had these threads. Always. Again, I dont need to explain the history of this board to you. You are a nobody. Go talk to a mod if you've got a problem with this thread and stop wasting my time.

#10 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Yeah, I should totally care about that, but I don't.

Yet you are here shitting up this thread. Is that your thing? You go into threads that you dont care about and announce to the world that you are dont care about it? Is this your thing? Kinda lame that you would take time from your day to click on a thread you totally dont care about and make an absolutely useless comment.

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12958 posts) -

@ S0lidSnake

Well yeah, but then they get locked especially when it starts to get traffic and fanboys ruin the whole thing.

I'm just saying, any talk about this stuff is flamebait to die hard fans even on GD.

#12 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7809 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Yeah, I should totally care about that, but I don't.

Yet you are here shitting up this thread. Is that your thing? You go into threads that you dont care about and announce to the world that you are dont care about it? Is this your thing? Kinda lame that you would take time from your day to click on a thread you totally dont care about and make an absolutely useless comment.

I wouldn't be the first person around here to do that.

#13 Posted by Pedro (21072 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

What ? What did I miss ?

15 years of this forum's history.

Still this is system warish and you tend to post things that are System Wars friendly. No need to pull that shameful "senority" card.

#14 Posted by speedfog (3201 posts) -

Mjeh better post this in SW.
Not much to discuss here only that it's good.

#15 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@S0lidSnake said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

What ? What did I miss ?

15 years of this forum's history.

Still this is system warish and you tend to post things that are System Wars friendly. No need to pull that shameful "senority" card.

Ummm, no this has been par for the course for years. GGD has always been System Wars lite. Hell, you actively took part in these threads the whole year last year. And now all of a sudden this forum is too good for these threads?

Hell, what's so System Warish about this anyway? There is ZERO mention of other platforms. Yes, the tone is negative but who gives a shit? We dont work for Sony and it wont/shouldn't hurt our feelings. The fact is that they have danced around this issue for the past year or so after touting 8GB of RAM for months. People need to know why next gen games are struggling with framerates and screen tearing. This is a tech discussion. If stuff like this is too sensitive to people then they should simply remove themselves from the discussion.

#16 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12958 posts) -

And with that Post we are full on In System Whores territory.

#17 Edited by Darth1337 (64 posts) -

Doesn't seem all that SWish to me. It's just a post regarding developer comments about the PS4 hardware. :-/

#18 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: Son of a gun, you were right Solid. Perhaps as you mentioned, this explains BF4 and Theif. Have you or anyone else heard of Infamous sacrificing affects to get the game to 1080p? That was something I have been reading on Twitter.

#19 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

It's hardly a problem, 5GB of RAM is a tonne of the stuff. Reserving RAM for the OS is why the platform is so responsive and doesn't require fully quitting a game to access other features, it's the same on the Xbox One. Sony have been going on about 8GB of RAM because the system has 8GB of RAM, it's not like the HDD space is marketed as how much space you can actually store games on.

As for people needing "to know why next gen games are struggling with framerates and screen tearing.", it's certainly not the luxurious pool of 5GB of RAM doing it. It's both consoles deciding to go with integrated APUs instead of dedicated GPUs as they have done in the past.

#20 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: Guys in the very rare occasion that I do, I agree with Solid here. This is not a Systems Wars post in GGD. This thread simply clarifies the actual ram dedicated/available for game developers on the PS4. If you do not have anything constructive to post here on topic, you should refrain from doing do.

#21 Posted by Pedro (21072 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

Ummm, no this has been par for the course for years. GGD has always been System Wars lite. Hell, you actively took part in these threads the whole year last year. And now all of a sudden this forum is too good for these threads?

Hell, what's so System Warish about this anyway? There is ZERO mention of other platforms. Yes, the tone is negative but who gives a shit? We dont work for Sony and it wont/shouldn't hurt our feelings. The fact is that they have danced around this issue for the past year or so after touting 8GB of RAM for months. People need to know why next gen games are struggling with framerates and screen tearing. This is a tech discussion. If stuff like this is too sensitive to people then they should simply remove themselves from the discussion.

People need to know? People need to know what? Most people don't understand most of what is behind the creation of games far-less the hardware that runs it. This is information is not something gamers have been begging for. Its all superficial information. Hardware is ALWAYS overstated and this generation in no exception. Yet we go through this annoying dance on the "importance" of specs and spewing meangingless numbers as if we know the real world application of any of it. All the next gen systems are weak. They are better than last gen but not monumentally. Notions of hidden power is all proganda. What has matter in the past and now is the quality of games. This recent internet fad on the importance of 1080p is nothing more than media drivel due to dwindling news. Besides all of that, your attitude is what is more problematic. There was no need to be an ass to Lulu. No one cares how long you have been on the boards.

#22 Posted by Chozofication (2876 posts) -

Over time more RAM will be available to developers. The initial Ps3 OS used 128 mb's out of the 512, which is ridiculous. Then later it was lowered to 50mb's or less..

Whatever's available to developers is enough for right now and by the time it would start to be a bit constraining more memory will be available. The Ps4 will never be bottlenecked like ps3 and 360 were by its memory amount.

#23 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Ummm, no this has been par for the course for years. GGD has always been System Wars lite. Hell, you actively took part in these threads the whole year last year. And now all of a sudden this forum is too good for these threads?

Hell, what's so System Warish about this anyway? There is ZERO mention of other platforms. Yes, the tone is negative but who gives a shit? We dont work for Sony and it wont/shouldn't hurt our feelings. The fact is that they have danced around this issue for the past year or so after touting 8GB of RAM for months. People need to know why next gen games are struggling with framerates and screen tearing. This is a tech discussion. If stuff like this is too sensitive to people then they should simply remove themselves from the discussion.

People need to know? People need to know what? Most people don't understand most of what is behind the creation of games far-less the hardware that runs it. This is information is not something gamers have been begging for. Its all superficial information. Hardware is ALWAYS overstated and this generation in no exception. Yet we go through this annoying dance on the "importance" of specs and spewing meangingless numbers as if we know the real world application of any of it. All the next gen systems are weak. They are better than last gen but not monumentally. Notions of hidden power is all proganda. What has matter in the past and now is the quality of games. This recent internet fad on the importance of 1080p is nothing more than media drivel due to dwindling news. Besides all of that, your attitude is what is more problematic. There was no need to be an ass to Lulu. No one cares how long you have been on the boards.

It's fitting that you would stand up for lulu of all people. A person who has derailed so many threads since he joined that we might as well erect a statue in his name.

Again, who are you to decide what people should and should not know? This is a video game forum and this is a valid thread on video games. Please get off your high horse and let people discuss what they want to discuss. Dont go in a thread and say it shouldn't exist. That people aren't smart enough. you did that shit before the specs came out and laughed it off, yet all the rumors came true so you of all people dont get to judge what others may or may not find relevant. I look at the Watch Dogs and Dark Souls downgrade threads on the board and seems to me people care very much about graphics and understand the specs that power it is a relevant discussion.

dont like a thread? Dont post in it.

#24 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Would you stop jerking me around, Ive been here since 2010, your thread is hardly a GD discusion. Sooo...... Why Here ?

Yes it is. We don't go to system wars. I think you mistake what system wars is, its a dump, a horrible place where we put the moron posters in so they don't ruin proper video game discussion.

ALL GAME DISCUSSION is meant for this forum. Idiotic name calling, trolling, and the like is not. Though lately it seems a whole horde of people escaped the system wars prison and ended up here.

LOL pedro, come on man.

#25 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Now on the topic at hand, I am just sick of all this tech stuff I dont understand. Ok I get it, the games wont be super amazing.

Whatever look what devs have done with 7 year old systems, the game will look amazing for years.

So I leave you with this solid

#26 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Now on the topic at hand, I am just sick of all this tech stuff I dont understand. Ok I get it, the games wont be super amazing.

Whatever look what devs have done with 7 year old systems, the game will look amazing for years.

So I leave you with this solid

Says the person continuously complaining about the Dark Souls and Watch Dogs downgrades.YOU give a shit my friend. You just dont know it yet.

#27 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12958 posts) -

@ dvader654

Yes System Whores is Troll Central. But if Gamespot wanted to, they could clean it up, and lose alot of traffic in the process, hence why they won't do it. I'm reminded of Cole Phelps and Roy Earl's debate about Cocain being a necessary evil in LA. Noire.

Anyway..... I hear ya about all the tech talk about graphics, but hopefully this is just cross gen transition phase that will hopefully be gone by next year, then all the tech talk can go bact to things like Occulus Rift and "Teh Cloud Powa !"

lol not looking foward to that either but it better than todays junk.

#29 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Ummm, no this has been par for the course for years. GGD has always been System Wars lite. Hell, you actively took part in these threads the whole year last year. And now all of a sudden this forum is too good for these threads?

Hell, what's so System Warish about this anyway? There is ZERO mention of other platforms. Yes, the tone is negative but who gives a shit? We dont work for Sony and it wont/shouldn't hurt our feelings. The fact is that they have danced around this issue for the past year or so after touting 8GB of RAM for months. People need to know why next gen games are struggling with framerates and screen tearing. This is a tech discussion. If stuff like this is too sensitive to people then they should simply remove themselves from the discussion.

People need to know? People need to know what? Most people don't understand most of what is behind the creation of games far-less the hardware that runs it. This is information is not something gamers have been begging for. Its all superficial information. Hardware is ALWAYS overstated and this generation in no exception. Yet we go through this annoying dance on the "importance" of specs and spewing meangingless numbers as if we know the real world application of any of it. All the next gen systems are weak. They are better than last gen but not monumentally. Notions of hidden power is all proganda. What has matter in the past and now is the quality of games. This recent internet fad on the importance of 1080p is nothing more than media drivel due to dwindling news. Besides all of that, your attitude is what is more problematic. There was no need to be an ass to Lulu. No one cares how long you have been on the boards.

Pedro, its worth keeping in mind that the hidden power talk is Solid making stuff up in order to be dramatic.

Naughty Dog's presentation focused on the importance of knowing hardware in order to get the most out of it (they then tried to impart their understanding of the PS4's architecture to the listeners). That's pretty much history/common sense, and is why console games continuously improve on static hardware.

#30 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71752 posts) -

So if PS4 only has 5 Gigs, what the hell does X1 have?

#31 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

So if PS4 only has 5 Gigs, what the hell does X1 have?

same. 5GB for games. 3GB for OS. 2 cpu cores for the OS.

X1 RAM is slower though. And they also have 10% of the GPU reserved for the OS.

#32 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71752 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

So if PS4 only has 5 Gigs, what the hell does X1 have?

same. 5GB for games. 3GB for OS. 2 cpu cores for the OS.

X1 RAM is slower though. And they also have 10% of the GPU reserved for the OS.

But though the PS4 had 6.5 GB RAM for the games and 1.5 for the OS

#33 Edited by lumzi32 (332 posts) -

The thread is a bit like flame bait though.

"Not to be a cocky son a bitch, but I told you so."

It is stealthily antagonistic with the (seeming) intention of getting people's hackles up.

Not that I can talk about where to post as I am, in all the important ways, pretty new here.

#34 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@S0lidSnake said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

So if PS4 only has 5 Gigs, what the hell does X1 have?

same. 5GB for games. 3GB for OS. 2 cpu cores for the OS.

X1 RAM is slower though. And they also have 10% of the GPU reserved for the OS.

But though the PS4 had 6.5 GB RAM for the games and 1.5 for the OS

No that was bullshit. It was never announced. Digital Foundry then ran a story saying games had access to only 4.5 GB plus 0.5-1GB extra if they wanted.

It seems from naughty dog's slides that Sony has locked it down to 5GB.

#35 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71752 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@S0lidSnake said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

So if PS4 only has 5 Gigs, what the hell does X1 have?

same. 5GB for games. 3GB for OS. 2 cpu cores for the OS.

X1 RAM is slower though. And they also have 10% of the GPU reserved for the OS.

But though the PS4 had 6.5 GB RAM for the games and 1.5 for the OS

No that was bullshit. It was never announced. Digital Foundry then ran a story saying games had access to only 4.5 GB plus 0.5-1GB extra if they wanted.

It seems from naughty dog's slides that Sony has locked it down to 5GB.

That seems strange, i would have thought that they could use some extra power if they wanted to to sacrifice the OS power

#36 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Wasn't this confirmed ages ago?

I specifically remember people frequently making comments about unlocking the RAM later on once the OS was more streamlined. Though it may have been 6 at the time, not 5.

#37 Edited by firefox59 (4392 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

So if PS4 only has 5 Gigs, what the hell does X1 have?

same. 5GB for games. 3GB for OS. 2 cpu cores for the OS.

X1 RAM is slower though. And they also have 10% of the GPU reserved for the OS.

I forgot about the Xbox One's 10% dedicated for the OS. So the PS4 doesn't have part of the GPU locked to the OS?

#38 Posted by firefox59 (4392 posts) -
@The_Last_Ride said:

That seems strange, i would have thought that they could use some extra power if they wanted to to sacrifice the OS power

But Sony didn't want to sacrifice the OS's capabilities. They wanted a console with multimedia function just like MS did. They just advertised their console differently and it worked.

#39 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71752 posts) -

@firefox59 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

That seems strange, i would have thought that they could use some extra power if they wanted to to sacrifice the OS power

But Sony didn't want to sacrifice the OS's capabilities. They wanted a console with multimedia function just like MS did. They just advertised their console differently and it worked.

Weird, i was under the impression it had more power. But because it uses DDR 5 and has a better GPU it's better? Is there something i am missing?

#40 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@firefox59 said:

@S0lidSnake said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

So if PS4 only has 5 Gigs, what the hell does X1 have?

same. 5GB for games. 3GB for OS. 2 cpu cores for the OS.

X1 RAM is slower though. And they also have 10% of the GPU reserved for the OS.

I forgot about the Xbox One's 10% dedicated for the OS. So the PS4 doesn't have part of the GPU locked to the OS?

Hasn't been reported yet. But you never know.

#41 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -

It's not a PC, it doesn't have to carry an obese OS like Windows 8 on its back. It has plenty of ram.

Need I remind you The Last of Us runs on a machine with 512 megs of ram?

#42 Posted by jasonredemption (290 posts) -

This whole thread seems like nothing more then a bunch of angry fanboys and haters. I like the gaming community because it is passionate and enthusiastic but this truly is the dark side of the gaming community. The system-wars all around us with the fanboys waging war on both sides. This hardly seems like a discussion besides just a bunch of angry people arguing with each other. If the PS4 has 5 GB of ram available to devs for games that's still x10 the ram available to devs with the PS3.

Everyone take a chill pill. This happens every new console generation. Games will improve with time. Once it's no longer games on old and current generation in a few years we'll start to see the potential of this new generation.

#43 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3312 posts) -

Wow 5 GB ram , divided among main memory and video memory . So powerful . . . NO

#44 Posted by Garfield360UK (19689 posts) -

Ok, lets clam down people.

This topic is ok to discuss as long as we discuss it in a sensible manor. This is general games discussion and we can discuss platforms here. However, trolling and arguing is not what Games Discussion Board is about, so if you want to do that please discuss this in System Wars. If not, then just discuss the topic at hand and use facts or your opinions to back that up.

Please refrain from trying to derail threads in the future, thank you.

#45 Edited by kingcrimson24 (465 posts) -

i think the games look good enough .

#46 Edited by Articuno76 (18822 posts) -

Many apps and games don't and can't run concurrently, so I'm not convinced that those resources are put aside for multi-tasking (unless this is a feature that hasn't been implemented yet and the resources have been put aside for an update).

I'd imagine a lot of the resources that they've set aside are there so that the system will stay nippy well into its life-cycle; unlike the PS3 which sometimes has a heart-attack if you try and bring up the XMB mid-game.

#47 Posted by jasonredemption (290 posts) -
@dvader654 said:

Now on the topic at hand, I am just sick of all this tech stuff I dont understand. Ok I get it, the games wont be super amazing.

Whatever look what devs have done with 7 year old systems, the game will look amazing for years.

So I leave you with this solid

THIS. I even understand some of the tech stuff. But seriously. Last gen had 512mb ram this gen has 5gig of ram...big difference. Ok everyone can go home now.

#48 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12958 posts) -

Specs and Number differences are all well and good. But compare the games themselves and marvel at how small a difference it is compared to previous gens. So much so that it makes one wonder, was next gen really necessary ? Whats wrong with Previous gen ?

#49 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9477 posts) -

Fairly certain we already knew this. I'm also sure that there another 1GB of RAM that games can use but it's managed by the OS.

Anyways, the main reason why both MS and Sony locked so much RAM is because they don't know how the OS will mature this generation. Sony, in particular, doesn't want another in game XMB fiasco to happen again. Once the general OS footprint shrinks, we would definitely expect more RAM to be available but I wouldn't expect that much more RAM to be available.

#50 Posted by firefox59 (4392 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@firefox59 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

That seems strange, i would have thought that they could use some extra power if they wanted to to sacrifice the OS power

But Sony didn't want to sacrifice the OS's capabilities. They wanted a console with multimedia function just like MS did. They just advertised their console differently and it worked.

Weird, i was under the impression it had more power. But because it uses DDR 5 and has a better GPU it's better? Is there something i am missing?

The PS4 does have a significantly better GPU and by significant I mean scientifically. There are 3rd party games that have better resolution on the PS4 but there are also a couple games coming out where the Xbox One version has matched the PS4 for 1080p 60 FPS. The Xbox One technically has more memory bandwidth but it's held within the ESRAM which devs are having trouble utilizing.

So it does have more graphical power but it seems like everything else is pretty much the same, which didn't seem to be the case before. The problem is Sony keeps shading over the truth and it's pissing people off.