Name 3 pleasant and not so pleasant surprises of 2012

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GalvatronType_R (1878 posts) -

Pleasant:

-Binary Domain

-The Darkness II

-Spec Ops: The Line (haven't pondered life this deeply after playing a game since Bioshock)

Not so pleasant:

-Ninja Gaiden 3

-Resident Evil 6

-Street Fighter x Tekken

#2 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Pleasant:

Neo Geo Gold X

Dragon's Dogma

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath HD

Not so pleasant:

Anything to do with motion controls or Kinect

Metal Gear Solid 5 announced

Watching the industry shrink 30% year over year while listening to Microsoft crow about how awesome they're doing

#3 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Pleasant

1.Playstation Plus

2.Sleeping Dogs

3.Journey

Not so pleasant

1.Vita sales

2.Assassins Creed 3 tech problems

3.Mass Effect 3. (Not the ending, just had a hard time getting into it, not a bad game).

#4 Posted by ReviewerDrake (766 posts) -

Pleasant

• Playstation All Stars Battle Royale
  • Black Friday Deals
  • Mass Effect 1 for PS3

Unpleasant

• Motion Controls on the rise
  • New PSN store
  • Elder Scrolls DLC still not on the PS3
#5 Posted by almasdeathchild (9517 posts) -

pleasant

resident evil: orc(still can't wrap my head why it got alot of hate)

resident evil 6: pvp dlc

ghost recon:future soldier

dark souls dlc

assassins creed 3

unpleasant

ninja gaiden 3

resident evil 6

borderlands 2(fun don't get me wrong but it's just eh)

dishonored

#6 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -

Pleasant

1: Kickstarters (Project Eternity, Shadowrun, Wasteland 2, Star Citizen)
2: Mark of the Ninja
3: Guardians of Middle Earth

Unpleasant

1: Resident Evil 6
2: Ninja Gaiden 3
3: Ghost Recon Future Soldier

#7 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

Pleasant

1.) Journey - I knew nothing about this game when I bought it out of some friend's recommendation. Have not regretted it since.
2.) Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!! - A licensed cartoon game that doesn't suck and pays good tribute to its series.
3.) Max Payne 3 - Found this more engaging than I expected, and I've never played a Max Payne game before.

Unpleasant

1.) Capcom seriously dropping the ball this year. Between Street Fighter X Tekken's idiotic on-disc DLC and Resident Evil losing its identity, they're an easy pick for worst publisher of 2012.
2.) Zone of the Enders HD Collection - Wanted to give this series a try, but ended up skipping the collection because it apparently runs poorly. Damn you, High Voltage Software.
3.) Having so many games to play that it became hard to keep track of what I liked and didn't. Buying a 3DS and a PS3 this year didn't help. Don't really regret those decisions, though.

#8 Posted by wiouds (5080 posts) -

Pleasant

• Far Cry 3 - good sand box even if it is a weak shooter. The did fix the number of sandbox problem of Far Cry 2. Too bad the shooting problems are still there.

not Pleasant

• Mass Effect 3 ending - worse ending in gaming.
  • Spec Ops: The Line story - stupid in you face. It use theequivalent to an action movies' booms and boobs. One of the few games that thinks I am stupid.
  • THe Journy - showing you do not need a good gameplay or innovation, but just a gimmick and a song and dance to get notice.
#9 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25608 posts) -

Pleasant

• Playstation Plus suddenly got about 10 times better after E3. The content given has ballooned now especially with a Vita too.
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Probably game of the year.
  • Dark Souls 2 announced.

Unpleasant

• Still no solid info on the 8th generation. (Sony and Microsoft's entry obviously)
  • The PSV's sales.
  • Sony's 2012 output following an incredibly strong 2011. Starhawk was good then followed nothing but family friendly guff I don't care for.
#10 Posted by ristactionjakso (5713 posts) -

Pleasant = FC3

Not Pleasant = Soul Calibur 5, Ultimate Tenkaichi.

#11 Posted by SoNin360 (5390 posts) -
Pleasant: -The Walking Dead Episodes -Finding an awesome deal on the PS Vita -Mass Effect 3 (Didn't hate the ending like most did, wasn't too surprised that it was a great game I enjoyed though) Not pleasant: -Not playing most 2012 games yet, but I'll get there! -GTA San Andreas coming to the PS3... with no HD remake or trophy support -The increased use of the Online Pass
#12 Posted by Vatusus (4498 posts) -

Pleasant

- Mass Effect announced for PS3 (downloading it as we speak :))

- Alan Wake (played it for the 1st time this year on PC)

- The Darkness II

Not so pleasant

- THQ bankrupcy

- Darksiders II sales

- Vita sales

#13 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7091 posts) -

Pleasant:

360's fantastic game lineup

Far Cry 3's awesomeness

Trials Evolution

Unpleasant:

Mass Effect 3 getting praise

Viita's over-priced memory cards

People are still buying Call of Duty.

#14 Posted by Archangel3371 (15384 posts) -
Pleasant:
  • Metal Gear Solid 5 announcement
  • Halo 4 turned out better then I thought
  • Bayonetta 2 announced
Not Pleasant:
  • Cliff Bleszinski leaving Epic
  • Ninja Gaiden 3
  • Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U exclusive
#15 Posted by spike6958 (4715 posts) -

Pleasant:

• Telltale's The Walking Dead been awesome.
  • Dragon's Dogma been an awesome new IP, and selling well enough for Capcom to continue it into a series.
  • Guardian's of Middle Earthactually been a great MOBA game.

Not Pleasant:

• Hitman Absolution having very few missions that actually contract you to kill people.
  • Kickstarters, it was fine at first, when it was just seasoned devs wanting to try new things but publishers wouldn't bite, but now it seems every collage kid with a semi-decent knowlage of Flash wants us to hand over our cash.
  • Rayman Legends been delayed till 2013. Couldn't think of a legit 3rd one, but I was pretty annoyed that it wasn't a launch title like Ubisoft originally said.
#16 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

The good:
Kickstarter brings in tons of new games and creativity
Downloadable games become huge (Journey, Trials, Dust: An Elysian Tale, Mark of the Ninja, Fez are multiple GOTY lists in their genres)
Far Cry is potential GOTY (seriously most people were writing this off for months on SW)

The Bad
RE6 fails many people's hype ( I liked it but it's far from AAA quality)
Wii U launched with no killer AAA
Gamers fail in a lot of arguements about sexism and Tomb Raider
Too many studios close after making great games
THQ is on the brink...

#17 Posted by Macutchi (4006 posts) -

far too much unpleasant this year unfortunately, lots of disappointing games (RE6, Hitman, ME3, Halo4) so instead i'll go for -

-

unpleasant:

quality sp games few and far between

diablo 3's auction house

draconian and messy online drm schemes

-

pleasant:

dishonored

just started playing far cry 3 so really hope this turns out pleasant

not much else

#19 Posted by trippypees (75 posts) -
pleasant: 1. Dragon's Dogma (probably the most time i've EVER spent playing a single game, 200+ hours and still counting) 2. Far Cry 3 (simply magnificent) 3. Forza Horizon & PES 2013 (two titles that excelled in their genre) unpleasant: 1. Resident Evil 6 (goddamn you Capcom for continuing to ruin what was once the best puzzle solving, zombie survival game) 2. Duke Nukem Forever (the worst sequel for on of my favorite characters in video-games) 3. Final Fantasy XIII- 2 (just wtf !)
#20 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -
[QUOTE="trippypees"]pleasant: 1. Dragon's Dogma (probably the most time i've EVER spent playing a single game, 200+ hours and still counting) 2. Far Cry 3 (simply magnificent) 3. Forza Horizon & PES 2013 (two titles that excelled in their genre) unpleasant: 1. Resident Evil 6 (goddamn you Capcom for continuing to ruin what was once the best puzzle solving, zombie survival game) 2. Duke Nukem Forever (the worst sequel for on of my favorite characters in video-games) 3. Final Fantasy XIII- 2 (just wtf !)

Come on ! President Evil 6 could've been much worse, it could've been an RPG.
#21 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

Pleasant

a. 3DS sales increasing since the price cut in August 2011.

b. The number of Nintendo Direct broadcasts this year. Some months had multiple broadcasts, and some were out of the blue.

c. The unexpected praise for Journey, a down-loadable game.

Unpleasent

a. Bankruptcy of THQ and the closing of studios, which means loss of jobs.

b. Unsavory business practices, such as the Day Z controversy.

c. Loading issues of the Wii U, while addressed in the first update, has yet to be within acceptable levels.

#22 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

Pleasant:

• Sleeping Dogs
  • Ridge Racer Unbounded
  • Drop in prices of most new release games

Not so Pleasant:

• Not 1, not 2 but 3 new Metal Gear games announced
  • THQ on the brink
  • Delays
#23 Posted by trippypees (75 posts) -
i wont say anything[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="trippypees"]pleasant: 1. Dragon's Dogma (probably the most time i've EVER spent playing a single game, 200+ hours and still counting) 2. Far Cry 3 (simply magnificent) 3. Forza Horizon & PES 2013 (two titles that excelled in their genre) unpleasant: 1. Resident Evil 6 (goddamn you Capcom for continuing to ruin what was once the best puzzle solving, zombie survival game) 2. Duke Nukem Forever (the worst sequel for on of my favorite characters in video-games) 3. Final Fantasy XIII- 2 (just wtf !)

Come on ! President Evil 6 could've been much worse, it could've been an RPG.

i wont say anything, just ask any who's played the old Resident Evils on the PS1