My Personal Top 12 Games of All Time

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

Edited By jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

So, I got inspired by IGN's staff picks for personal favorite/best-games-of-all-time type lists I thought I'd make one as well. I set certain parameters for my list. First parameter is that if there are multiple games in the series only one game could make the list (the one I thought was the best for whatever reason). This was tough for several reasons, there are several games that I just absolutely adore multiple games in the series (Batman, Assassins Creed, Uncharted, Burnout). I picked the game that really stood out to me the most. Yes, often times a sequel will be better but when taking story, gameplay, impact of game for it's time, originality, quality (for its time) Second parameter is that I must have played (and beaten) the game (duh). Yes, this might seem quite obvious. There are a number of games that I've heard good things about and might have even purchased them because I had never gotten around to playing them but if I didn't beat it I won't list it.

Honorable mentions:

Motorstorm: Apocalypse

Resistance 3

Battle Tanx: Global Assault

SSX 3

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

12. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I am not a RPG person. If anything I prefer action/adventure games with RPG elements. But Skyrim is almost more than a game, it's an open-world sand-box where you can do pretty much whatever you want. Want to be a knight? Go make armor? Do it. Train to be a magician? Do it. Want to focus on side quests? That's fine. Want to do the main story? You can do that. Skryim is a special game and for good reason.

11. Soul Calibur II

Soul Calibur II was the game I played at my friends house on his Playstation 2. It was a local-multiplayer chaos each and every time it was played. This game got more use in my GameCube each time I had a friend over than any other game. It was the sort of game that got over-played until homework was overdue and friendships were beginning to unravel. It is a well balanced fighter and one that a newbie can pick up with relative-ease. It is the sort of game that shows what fighting games have the potential of being and it has solid single player options to prove its worth.

10. Star Wars Episode I: Racer

I still remember the summer I mowed lawns all summer saving up for an Nintendo 64. After playing Smash Brothers, Tony Hawk, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64 at various friends and relative's houses I knew I had to get myself an Nintendo 64. I ended up picking up a console bundle that included Star Wars Episode I: Racer. I didn't even know if I'd like the game. I spent hours playing that game working to earn upgrades with different racers. I spent hours memorizing tracks so I could achieve gold medals. I raced against friends and family in multiplayer for hours. I loved this game and it occupied many hours of my N64's time.

9. Star Fox 64

Star Fox 64 was a game that sold Nintendo 64s. It was fantastic-tight-arcade-on-rails space shooting experience. The single player was challenging but I played for hours trying to perfect each and every mission. The multiplayer was of course a huge reason as to why this was a must-own in every N64 collection because it was tons-of-fun with friends as well. The bosses were tough and I saw a lot of Game Over screens during my time with Star Fox but it was one of the pinnicles of gaming experience and it's a real shame that Nintendo has milked Mario but failed to give us a new Star Fox.

8. Assassins Creed II

I would have never thought I would enjoy stealth games or games where you are tasked with following some guys talking meanwhile avoiding being spotted. But Assassins Creed II has a story-line that makes all these menial tasks interesting. There are tombs with puzzles (not as good as Uncharted) and collectibles to boot. The free-flow climbing, roof-top-running, combat is all very well done. Even though I sometimes criticizing the series for the dumb-modern-day-sci-fi-story-line, the "assassins claw" controls and the yearly-milking of the series, there are far more reasons to love the assassins creed series then to hate it. Assassins Creed II from a story perspective and game-play perfections as well as innovations stands as the pinnacle for most people when it comes to Assassins Creed and for good reason it is probably the most-beloved Assassins Game to date in spite of what has been hailed as the runner up of best AC games in the well-done Pirate Simulator: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag.

7. Uncharted 3

It was a tough decision between Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3. Uncharted 2 was my first Uncharted experience on my Playstation 3 and one had my girlfriend and I staring at the TV screen for hours like we were watching a movie. Uncharted 3 makes the list because it was the most fun. Uncharted 2 had fantastic story and pacing but Uncharted 3 just topped it in nearly every single way. The gameplay is just perfect and the visuals are stunning and of course the sound and music are just breath taking. It's the Uncharted series that has proved that video games can be cinematic.

6. Donkey Kong 64

The first sandbox-open world type game I had ever played. The numerous puzzles and side-quests and collectibles is overwhelming. The number of Kongs you could play as. The big-open-hub-world. The levels, the bosses, the Krazy-Kong storyline. It was all so mind-blowing to me at the time. I loved every minute of it (and boy did I spend a lot of my minutes with Donkey Kong 64). I don't think I spent much of my free time doing much else after the I got my paws on Donkey Kong 64.

5. Burnout Paradise

One of the first games I picked up for my Playstation 3. I had loved Burnout on my GameCube and suspected this looked amazing. I never knew a racing sandbox game could be so much fun. The DJ from SSX3 spent many hours announcing songs while I drove around Paradise City doing and seeing everything there was to do and see. It was an addiction that kept me up to the late hours of the night racing, rampages, busting gates and signs like there was no tomorrow!

4. The Last of Us

This was my most anticipated game of 2012-2013. It ended up being my personal game-of-the-year for 2013. Even from the early demos Naughty Dog showed at E3 I knew it had the potential to be one of the best games I had ever played. The story was so gripping. The survival-scavenging-sandbox-collecting and puzzle solving game-play was absolutely perfect. It was the game I played through twice without breaking for another game in-between. It was a game I spent hours thinking about after I was done playing. It was terrifying and thrilling. It was so exciting to upgrade and to craft-modify weapons. Every aspect of this game was perfect.

3. Red Dead Redemption

I didn't pick up Red Dead Redemption until a few months after it had been released. Between the GTA comparisons and the hype I was convinced it was going to be a good game. But once I picked it up on sale and popped it into my PS3 my jaw dropped. I didn't stop playing for a week. The open world that felt so-real, so-alive, I was immediately sucked in. The horse travel, the dust, the hunting, I almost forgot to do missions there was so many things to see and do in Red Dead Redemption. It had a fantastic story and I was so upset when it all ended.

2. Star Wars Rogue Leader

I got into video games because of Star Wars. Rouge Squadron was one of the reasons I knew I needed to get the first console I ever owned, a Nintendo 64. Rouge Leader was the reason I knew I needed to pick up a GameCube on launch day. I barely had enough money for the system, a memory card and two games but Rouge Leader was the only game I knew I HAD to PLAY. It was my favorite game on the GameCube. I remember just how blown away I was by the graphics and the sound. LucasArts & Factor 5 really knew what they were doing when it came to making Star Wars arcade video games. It was challenging but I played missions over and over until I mastered them. I spent many hours playing this game over-and-over and over again.

1. Batman Arkham Asylum

Batman Arkham Asylum was one of the first games I played on my new PS3. It was also one of the reason I bought a PS3. It was love at first sight. You actually felt like Batman in this game, the game-play mechanics were just right. The combat was superb. The collectibles, the secrets, the unlocks, the metroid-style game-play-it was all just perfect. This game represented a pinnacle in video games for me.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

There's some solid games on there and I agree with some but not others. But what is there to discuss?

jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jasonredemption

@Gargus: There's no need to be a troll. If you don't like it then don't comment...simple really.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#4  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

@Gargus: Knock it off with all the needless hostility.

jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jasonredemption

@turtlethetaffer: I'd love to hear your list. What games do you agree with and what ones would you add/subtract?

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

I tried my best to only pick 10.

In no particular order.

1. Halo 2
  2. Xenogears
  3. Medal of Honor Allied Assault
  4. Team Fortress 2
  5. Left 4 Dead 2
  6. Gundam Extreme VS
  7. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  8. Tales of Vesperia
  9. Mass Effect 2
  10. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Nice list man, I personally wouldn't agree with all of them per-say. It needs more halo, infamous, portal, bioshock, persona, dead space and fallout!! haha nah, good to see someone with a varied taste though. I'am sick of all these top 10's that are about 80% all older games, that are only there due to memorabilia.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Pretty decent list TC, I'd have to go with

12. The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

11. Chrono Cross

10. Persona 3 FES

9. MGS3

8. Warcraft 3

7. Fire Emblem Awakening

6. State of Decay

5. FF6

4. Mass Effect

3. Persona 4 Golden

2. Skyrim

1. The Last of Us

Honorable mentions (or if I had to choose another 8, leading it to a top 20)

• The Witcher 2
  • LoZ Majoras Mask
  • FF14 ARR
  • RE4
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Dark Souls
  • Batman Arkham City
  • LoZ Skyward Sword
Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Some good list on here guys, I've been on xbox all last gen so missed out on ps exclusives so this is my list of all time favourite games, couple I prob wouldn't enjoy today but I enjoyed them back then.

Mario 1

Deus ex 1,2,3

Metal gear 1,2,3

Mass effect 1,2,3

Crysis 1,2

GTA San Andreas

Shadow of the Collosus

Fallout 3

Dark souls

Forza 4

Mario kart, snes and 64 version

Farcry2

Honourable mentions ghost recon2, rainbow six Vegas, skyrim, oblivion, Star Wars battlefront, and Star Wars knights of the old republic2.

I know I've missed a couple but that's the majority of my favourite games.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Advance Wars: Dual Strike occupies all 12 slots

pcty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 pcty
Member since 2008 • 367 Posts

I'm terrible with this kind of thing, I just can't number my favorite games I would end-up with a giant list with several games occupying the first place.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@jasonredemption: Star Fox, Soul Calibur II and Podracer are all awesome. IDK if any of them would be on my top 12. I've never taken the time to think about my top games ever. All I know is Majora's Mask is my all time fav game. I know RDR, Bioshock, and Ass Creed II would not be on that list, though.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#14 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I had a list a while back but may end up doing an All Time Favourite Games list again at one point, last time I did one was Top 50 games and this was around 2008 when I did the blogs. But after 2008 the list kept changing back and forth

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Usually when I do these lists I include multiple games from the same series because it's both easier and more truthful. If I'm limited to one game, it makes things tougher since I don't think about these games as often, but I guess this would be my top 12:

1. Streets of Rage 2
  2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  3. Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
  4. X-Wing vs.Tie Fighter
  5. Pokemon R/B/Y
  6. Halo CE
  7. Ocarina of Time
  8. Gunstar Heroes
  9. M.U.S.H.A
  10. Mega Man X
  11. Batman (Genesis)
  12. Street Fighter II
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

I like a lot of shmups and point + click adventures so it makes my list kind of boring and uncomparable to others.. but here it goes

1. Battle Garegga - bar none the best shmup I've ever played. the mechanics/scoring is insanely deep, very masochistic, fantastic visuals for a game made in 96. It was ported from arcades to sega saturn in 98 and the port is quite possibly the most accurate port (some consider it better than the PCB). I just recently saved up to buy the PCB and don't regret it. the soundtrack is by far my favorite too - it's TOO good. (second example of the soundtrack)

2. Planescape: Torment - my personal favorite RPG primarily due to the story, but the setting/characters/dialogue is top notch. The only reason why it's probably not my #1 is because the combat is "take it or leave it".

3. Grim Fandango - the only point and click adventure I'll probably list to vary up my list a little bit, but Grim Fandango is on top of my favorite adventure games list. the humor is fantastic as is the mexican noir setting

4. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - my favorite Treasure title (sorry Alien Soldier) which is actually on the Wii. It's the only Wii title in my list, but it deservedly belongs in my top 10. It's a mix between a rail shooter and action game, and it's similar to bullet hell shmups in that bullets can fill up parts of the screen. The wii-mote was implemented perfectly and it was a gigantic upgrade from the original title on N64.

5. Progear - the 2nd shmup in my list, and my personal favorite horizontal shooter. I actually worked on getting a 1-ALL (1 credit clear of the first loop) which was achieved last month. This is the only CAVE title with a big steampunk influence and I f'in love it. The patterns flow extremely well much like Ketsui, and the bosses are very unique. My avatar is actually one of the bosses in the game :P

6. Team Fortress Classic - the first multiplayer FPS game I was truly addicted to. I played competitively in leagues for 7-9 years with top tier NA teams (one which is in the top 25 of all time and the majority of the others in the top 100). The learning curve is outrageous, and I was still earning tricks after 7 years of play. here's a very short clip from the first match back in the world-wide TFC league tournament in 2012 (I joined and ended up leading one of the two United States teams vs team italy, two german teams, two UK teams, team france, team switzerland, and a few others.

7. EarthBound - one of the most charming RPGs I've ever played. It's a very standard turn based JRPG, but the character, story, and settings make me feel really warm :)

8. Bayonetta - hard to choose a hack-n-slash/action title for my list - it was between bayo or dmc3, but the fluidity/feel of bayonetta sets it slightly ahead of dmc3. regarding either game - extremely steep learning curve, much replayability, almost endless possibility of combo stringing, etc..

9. Demon's Souls - the ARPG of the list. I actually preordered and imported the Asian version which is oddly why I joined these boards (to start promoting the game to a wider audience because I couldn't get over how awesome it was and I wanted to share it with everyone). I remember the old bioshockownz vs some-mist arguments between the better game at the time - dragon age or demon's souls which was also fun in itself. the masochistic style of play goes along perfectly with many of the other titles in my list.

10. Super Metroid - a 10th was hard to choose because I could've given any game this position, but it's truly an ageless platformer which I feel was way before it.s time. great level design and fantastic boss encounters won me over for spot #10 ;)

don't know about 11 and 12.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Now that's a list thread worth replying to. I agree with none of your choices, but they're personal and I enjoyed reading the write ups.

Some-Mist has a very interesting list too. I really need to give Bayonetta a shot (I hate its art style, but if its combat is better than DMC3's I should play it!)

Here are my favourites, in no particular order

Unreal Tournament 2004
This game, in my opinion, is the epitome of the pure deathmath genre. Yes, I think it's better than Quake 3 and UT99. Its movement mechanics really make it reach the next level. I was amazed when I first realized what dodge-jumping and wall-jumping entailed, and I still am. The community never really took off as much as its 1999 predecessors, which is a shame.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Despite all of its glitches and lack of polish, this game stands above all others in the single-player FPS genre. Its core gameplay is tight, its AI is very good, its environments are amazing, its atmosphere is unequalled, and it's just a very interesting game experience.

Ikaruga
Ikaruga is not the best-designed shmup. It's not very hard (well, compared the to rest of the genre), and it's not very deep. But as an overall game, it's my favourite of the genre. It's beautiful, its soundtrack is amazing, and I actually like its color-changing gimmick a lot, a lot, a lot. When the genre fell out of the mainstream, I kinda stopped paying attention to it, until this gem came out for the Dreamcast and woke me up. Shmups are still my favourite genre, though I don't have enough free time to actually be decent at them anymore.

Grim Fandango
I wish I could say that my favourite adventure game is something other than everyone else's favourite adventure game. It's not. Grim Fandango has such a charming, funny, well-written story that it's impossible for me to name anything else.

F-Zero GX
My favourite racer of all times, by a very wide margin. It's unforgiving, it's fast, it's silly. It's both fun and mean. It makes you want to throw your gamepad at your TV, but you can't stop playing it because it's so good.

Aquaria/Metroid Prime/Super Metroid
I couldn't choose which one I prefered, so here's all three. I love them all for the same reasons: their worlds are perfectly designed, they are very atmospheric games with excellent exploration, they are contemplative and interesting, they have great soundtracks and they're beautiful games. (To me, Metroid Prime is a perfect 3D successor to Super Metroid. Aquaria is different enough to stand on its own, and it's high-quality enough to be compared directly to its influences.)

FTL: Faster Than Light
This is a game that I will still be replaying 20 years from now. Its design is fantastic and timeless, and everything about it is essentially perfect. These guys took a (fairly simple) concept and explored it in depth to create a well-balanced, extremely well designed game that does everything that you'd expect it to do. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Honorable mentions: Death Rally (the original), Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dangun Feveron (for its crazyness), DoDonpachi (for its design), No One Lives Forever 1&2, Pac-Man, Shadow of the Colossus, Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Batman: Arkham City (imo, this is the game that represents the 360/PS3 generation)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#18  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19542 Posts

My top 12 favourites, in no particular order:

Streets of Rage 2

Secret of Mana

Final Fantasy VII

Metal Gear Solid 2

Resident Evil 4

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Street Fighter Alpha 2

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

SSX Tricky

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Clannad

Steins Gate

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@jasonredemption: That's a pretty good list. I was surprised by Star Wars Episode I: Racer. My brother & I played the hell out of that game. It is one of the best Star Wars games.

I have to disagree with Assassins Creed 2. AC2 was the last game I played in the series. For me, the gameplay hurts the franchise. It lost its appeal for quickly. The story was O.K., but it wasn't enough to keep me playing the series.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Some-Mist

@ReddestSkies said:

Some-Mist has a very interesting list too. I really need to give Bayonetta a shot (I hate its art style, but if its combat is better than DMC3's I should play it!)

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Despite all of its glitches and lack of polish, this game stands above all others in the single-player FPS genre. Its core gameplay is tight, its AI is very good, its environments are amazing, its atmosphere is unequalled, and it's just a very interesting game experience.

Honorable mentions: Dangun Feveron (for its crazyness), DoDonpachi (for its design),

I wouldn't say the combat in Bayo is necessarily better than dmc as both have the same amount of technicality, but I really prefer the feel of it. definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of dmc though (I also hate the theme of bayo fyi).

stalker is an awesome game and I dunno if you're a movie fan, but it's loosely inspired (mainly draws the same atmosphere) by Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker (1979) which is inspired by roadside panic and it's a fantastic film. it pays very close attention to detail much like Malick flicks so you have to be in the right mindset for it. It's also russian with english subtitles.

dangun feveron and dodonpachi are too good. actually a bit more surprised to see feveron though as it's pretty insanely niche even for the genre.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ReddestSkies

@Some-Mist said:

I wouldn't say the combat in Bayo is necessarily better than dmc as both have the same amount of technicality, but I really prefer the feel of it. definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of dmc though (I also hate the theme of bayo fyi).

stalker is an awesome game and I dunno if you're a movie fan, but it's loosely inspired (mainly draws the same atmosphere) by Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker (1979) which is inspired by roadside panic and it's a fantastic film. it pays very close attention to detail much like Malick flicks so you have to be in the right mindset for it. It's also russian with english subtitles.

dangun feveron and dodonpachi are too good. actually a bit more surprised to see feveron though as it's pretty insanely niche even for the genre.

From that description, Bayonetta seems like it deserves a fair try! I've also added Stalker on my to-watch list! The trailers I've seen don't say much about its plot or anything, but the atmosphere is definitely there.

Dangun Feveron is all kinds of awesome. I never could 1CC it or get a decent score, it's so fast and colourful that I'd systematically get "bad" deaths, especially in the later stages, but at the same time, that craziness is what makes me love it. And its disco soundtrack is top-notch.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Some-Mist

@ReddestSkies: be prepared, it's a mentally exhausting flick

I consider myself pretty good at shmups, and I get dominated by dangun, but I love it. I actually haven't seen much of the 4th stage at all lol

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ReddestSkies

@Some-Mist: All this DF talk reminds me that I never played as much Guwange as I wanted (because I was too busy getting my ass handed to me by DF). That's another experimental Cave game that really did a lot of things right, and that really deserves a revisit.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

My fav games are in no particular order

max payne 3

Halo CE

Kameo

Condemned

Indiana Jones and the Emperors

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Darkwatch

Tomb Raider -2013

GTA V

Ryse Son of Rome

Dead Rising 3

Battlefield 4

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#25  Edited By GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

1. Demon's Souls
2. Zelda NES
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Half-Life
5. Deus Ex
6. Super Mario World
7. Okami
8. Zelda: A Link to the Past
9. Final Fantasy III (VI)
10. Metroid Prime
11. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
12. Fallout

I tried to avoid to many games of the same series, though I could really help it with some of the Zelda games...

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

Pretty impossible for me to narrow it down to just 10... id probably have to do a top 5 from each genre or something.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

1. Half-Life 2 (inc. Eps)

2. Bioshock

3. Bioshock Infinite

4. Mass Effect series

5. Halo 4

6. Portal 2

7. Last of Us

8. Red Dead Redemption

9. Tomb Raider (2013)

10. GTA San Andreas

Runners Up: Civilization V, Deus Ex Human Revolution

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts
  1. Heroes of Might and Magic 3
  2. Zoo Tycoon (Including Dino and Marine expansions)
  3. Sega MegaDrive Ultimate Collection (Retro gaming heaven on 1 disc)
  4. Diablo 2 (Including Lord of Destruction expansion)
  5. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  6. Skyrim
  7. Puzzle Bobble
  8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  9. Final Fantasy 7
  10. Dragon's Crown
  11. World of Warcraft (including all expansions of course)
  12. Killzone 2
numbes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By numbes
Member since 2012 • 44 Posts

1. half life 1/2/blackmesa

2. return to castle wolfenstein /enemy territory

3. call of duty 1/2

4. gta 3/vice city/san andreas

5. fallout 3/new vegas

6. quake 3 arena

7. pokemon r/y/b

8. portal 1/2

9. medal of honor allied assault

10. colin mcrae before dirt

11. crash bandicoot 1/2/3

12. runescape before 2010

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Some-Mist

@187umKILLAH said:

Dragon's Crown

nice :) I can't believe I forgot to list a vanillaware title in my list. it'd be between dragon's crown or muramasa: the demon blade for me. so I guess you could consider those my 11th and 12th picks.

edit: AND diablo 2... holy shit

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

those are all new games, you must not have been gaming for long if those are your all time favourites. My games list would date back to the late 80s, early 90s... but thats good, gotta start somewhere.

I actually feel old and won't list anything since nobody ever heard of them

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I love threads like this because it shows the diversity in the hobby we all love. Guess I'll give it a go as well.

In no order:

Okami HD

TLoZ: Wind Waker HD

Persona 4 Golden

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Tales of Vesperia

Fallout: New Vegas

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Final Fantasy X

Super Metroid

Chrono Trigger

Shenmue 2

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

SaintsRowLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SaintsRowLA
Member since 2013 • 331 Posts

1. Saints Row Series

I haven't played the original due to my busy schedule, but I've played Saint Row 2 once, Saints Row 3 eight times and I'm currently playing Saints Row 4. The people at Volition Studios are creative genus's. They know how to have fun and make fun of things.

"The Saints kick ass", "I am still the best", "Do you still think I'm just another pretty face?", "Good girls kick ass" ----Laura Bailey, the voice of the female Saint leader in the Saints Row Series. Los Santos and Blaine Counties is the setting for GTA V. "The Saints kick ass even here." ----Laura Bailey again as the leading Saint

2. NHL series, e.g., NHL 14, NHL 13 by EA Canada

Unlimited replay value. There's always time for a hockey game. The best game on earth. Play for 30 minutes or play for hours straight, play in between other games, activities or as break while studying.

3. Pro Evolution Soccer series I'll also through in FIFA depending on your preference

Just like hockey, there's always time for a soccer/football game. Play for 30 minutes or hours straight.

4. Mass Effect series

I love Fem-Shep, Miranda, and Dr. T'soni. I love the characters, the character customization, dialog and dialog options. I loved playing on-line in Mass Effect 3 too. I don't play much on-line, but playing on-line in ME3 and Gears of War 3 is the most fun I've had playing on-line.

5. inFAMOUS and the series

Sasha and Kessler are almost family, especially Sasha. The 'Sasha Seduction Experience' is the greats thing of all time voiced by Jessica Straus. The best dialog and performance. Sasha is the heart and soul of the inFAMOUS series even though she was only in the first. I implored Sony and Sucker Punch to bring back Sasha and Jessica Straus. The mind control tar, the dialog, the seduction, there's nothing else like it. I love doing evil side missions for Sasha too. I love the choice of playing as good or evil.

6. Dragon Age series. I Love the mage and the mage powers. I love the character customization, the dialog and dialog options, I've only played Dragon Age 2 so far.

7. Flatout: Ultimate Carnage

Great racing game and demolition game. The ultimate aggressive style racing game. Great tracks, great fun.

8. Splinter Cell Series, e.g. Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Splinter Cell: Conviction.

The best stealth plus shooting action.

9. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Great stealth and high combat cover-based shooter. The very best cover and cover swapping mechanics in any game. Awesome destruction and sound effects of the cover your hiding behind.

10. Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy XIII-3: I love Lightning! I love Fang too.

11. Dirt 2

12. Halo 4: Only because Cortana is in it, Need for Speed: Shift, Gears of War series, KillZone series, Toy Soldiers series, Borderlands 2, Alice: Madness Returns and some others are tied.

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 187umKILLAH

@Some-Mist said:

@187umKILLAH said:

Dragon's Crown

nice :) I can't believe I forgot to list a vanillaware title in my list. it'd be between dragon's crown or muramasa: the demon blade for me. so I guess you could consider those my 11th and 12th picks.

Ha don't worry it's easy to forget certain games especially considering how many great games are available, most times I list my favourite games it seems to change depending on either if I forget some or if I change my mind. Dragon's Crown is actually the one and only Vaniilaware game I've ever played, kind of feel like I'm missing out on a good thing judging by how awesome that one is.

Gr0wl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gr0wl
Member since 2009 • 311 Posts

Games that I really enjoyed and had an impact on me:

1) Knights of the Old Republic 1&2

2) Assassins Creed series

3) Batman Arkham series

4) Starcraft

5) The Elder Scrolls Skyrim

6) Metro: Last Light

7) Dragon Age Origins

That's all I can remember so far !

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#36 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@jasonredemption said:

10. Star Wars Episode I: Racer

I still remember the summer I mowed lawns all summer saving up for an Nintendo 64. After playing Smash Brothers, Tony Hawk, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64 at various friends and relative's houses I knew I had to get myself an Nintendo 64. I ended up picking up a console bundle that included Star Wars Episode I: Racer. I didn't even know if I'd like the game. I spent hours playing that game working to earn upgrades with different racers. I spent hours memorizing tracks so I could achieve gold medals. I raced against friends and family in multiplayer for hours. I loved this game and it occupied many hours of my N64's time.

8. Assassins Creed II

I would have never thought I would enjoy stealth games or games where you are tasked with following some guys talking meanwhile avoiding being spotted. But Assassins Creed II has a story-line that makes all these menial tasks interesting. There are tombs with puzzles (not as good as Uncharted) and collectibles to boot. The free-flow climbing, roof-top-running, combat is all very well done. Even though I sometimes criticizing the series for the dumb-modern-day-sci-fi-story-line, the "assassins claw" controls and the yearly-milking of the series, there are far more reasons to love the assassins creed series then to hate it. Assassins Creed II from a story perspective and game-play perfections as well as innovations stands as the pinnacle for most people when it comes to Assassins Creed and for good reason it is probably the most-beloved Assassins Game to date in spite of what has been hailed as the runner up of best AC games in the well-done Pirate Simulator: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag.

6. Donkey Kong 64

The first sandbox-open world type game I had ever played. The numerous puzzles and side-quests and collectibles is overwhelming. The number of Kongs you could play as. The big-open-hub-world. The levels, the bosses, the Krazy-Kong storyline. It was all so mind-blowing to me at the time. I loved every minute of it (and boy did I spend a lot of my minutes with Donkey Kong 64). I don't think I spent much of my free time doing much else after the I got my paws on Donkey Kong 64.

4. The Last of Us

This was my most anticipated game of 2012-2013. It ended up being my personal game-of-the-year for 2013. Even from the early demos Naughty Dog showed at E3 I knew it had the potential to be one of the best games I had ever played. The story was so gripping. The survival-scavenging-sandbox-collecting and puzzle solving game-play was absolutely perfect. It was the game I played through twice without breaking for another game in-between. It was a game I spent hours thinking about after I was done playing. It was terrifying and thrilling. It was so exciting to upgrade and to craft-modify weapons. Every aspect of this game was perfect.

3. Red Dead Redemption

I didn't pick up Red Dead Redemption until a few months after it had been released. Between the GTA comparisons and the hype I was convinced it was going to be a good game. But once I picked it up on sale and popped it into my PS3 my jaw dropped. I didn't stop playing for a week. The open world that felt so-real, so-alive, I was immediately sucked in. The horse travel, the dust, the hunting, I almost forgot to do missions there was so many things to see and do in Red Dead Redemption. It had a fantastic story and I was so upset when it all ended.

1. Batman Arkham Asylum

Batman Arkham Asylum was one of the first games I played on my new PS3. It was also one of the reason I bought a PS3. It was love at first sight. You actually felt like Batman in this game, the game-play mechanics were just right. The combat was superb. The collectibles, the secrets, the unlocks, the metroid-style game-play-it was all just perfect. This game represented a pinnacle in video games for me.

Those are some awesome games

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Some-Mist

@187umKILLAH said:

@Some-Mist said:

@187umKILLAH said:

Dragon's Crown

Ha don't worry it's easy to forget certain games especially considering how many great games are available, most times I list my favourite games it seems to change depending on either if I forget some or if I change my mind. Dragon's Crown is actually the one and only Vaniilaware game I've ever played, kind of feel like I'm missing out on a good thing judging by how awesome that one is.

I only haven't played grim grimoire, but I absolutely loved odin sphere and muramasa the demon blade. the combat in both are extremely similar (Action RPG), but I feel like there's more/better content in muramasa. the only thing I prefer in odin sphere is the art and norse influence. not worth buying a system for muramasa, but imo it's definitely worth the (now) cheap price tag if you own a wii or vita.

edit: gameplay vid

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 187umKILLAH

@Some-Mist: That gameplay vid, damn! Love the art style too, might have to pick up a Vita sometime. Cheers for the link :)

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Hey, great list. I really like how you have a great story behind why you like the games you like the best and why they mean so much to you. Having real emotional attachments to the games I love are what keeps me gaming and it's nice to see like-minded people out there.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I can do favorites list all day. Is it okay if mine change every list?

Here they are in no order. All Xbox 360 except ones mentioned.

• Halo 2 (xbox)
  • Halo 3
  • Borderlands 2
  • Diablo III (console version)
  • Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (PC)
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (PC)
  • Lord of The Rings BFME 2 (PC)
  • Oblivion
  • Halo Reach
  • Skyrim
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

12 SKYRIM (XBOX360&PS3) 11 dark souls (ps3&360) 10 halo 4 9 redemption (ps3) 8 mgs4 7 xenoblade 6 ni no kuni 5 resident evil code veronica (DC) 4 mass effect 2 ( ps3&360) 3 ninja gaiden (xbox) 2 gta v (ps3&360) 1 last of us for me

jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jasonredemption

@mesomorphin said:

Nice list man, I personally wouldn't agree with all of them per-say. It needs more halo, infamous, portal, bioshock, persona, dead space and fallout!! haha nah, good to see someone with a varied taste though. I'am sick of all these top 10's that are about 80% all older games, that are only there due to memorabilia.

It does need more infamous. I debated putting infamous in my list, I should add it to my honorable mentions. Then again, I am tempted to add Little Big Planet, Dark Forces, Modnation Racers, X-Wing and Tomb Raider (2013) to my honorable mentions.

@stizzal13 said:

@jasonredemption: That's a pretty good list. I was surprised by Star Wars Episode I: Racer. My brother & I played the hell out of that game. It is one of the best Star Wars games.

I have to disagree with Assassins Creed 2. AC2 was the last game I played in the series. For me, the gameplay hurts the franchise. It lost its appeal for quickly. The story was O.K., but it wasn't enough to keep me playing the series.

Not only is Star Wars Episode I: Racer one of the best Star Wars games, it is one of the best racing games of all time. So you only played AC:I and AC:II? What about the gameplay did you not enjoy?

@turtlethetaffer said:

@jasonredemption: Star Fox, Soul Calibur II and Podracer are all awesome. IDK if any of them would be on my top 12. I've never taken the time to think about my top games ever. All I know is Majora's Mask is my all time fav game. I know RDR, Bioshock, and Ass Creed II would not be on that list, though.

I know so many gamers LOVE Zelda games and I still haven't finished a single one. In my Nintendo days I guess I was more into racing games, snowboarding games and space-ship shooters. I still want to play several Zelda games to get a feel for what everyone else loves so much, they might become something I love as well. :)

@nicecall said:

those are all new games, you must not have been gaming for long if those are your all time favourites. My games list would date back to the late 80s, early 90s... but thats good, gotta start somewhere.

I actually feel old and won't list anything since nobody ever heard of them

My first system was a GameBoy then Nintendo 64. So I guess I did start later. I feel I cheated the N64/NGC by giving so many spots to games I played on my PS3, these kinds of lists are tough.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 turtlethetaffer

@jasonredemption: Good place to start is with Ocarina of Time. It's the most highly regarded and a good indicator of what the series is all about. Although my top 3 are Majora's Mask, Wind waker and Link's awakening in that order.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@jasonredemption said:
@stizzal13 said:

Not only is Star Wars Episode I: Racer one of the best Star Wars games, it is one of the best racing games of all time. So you only played AC:I and AC:II? What about the gameplay did you not enjoy?

Yeah, I only played the first two titles. Honestly, I would not say there was one element that really stood out to me (at least off the top of my head). It was the mechanics in general. I remember when I first played AC I, I was blown away by the way I could interact with the world (climbing buildings and such), and the combat seemed fun. But, the the initial shine of the gameplay faded quickly for me. By the time, I finished AC I, I was pretty bored.

I eventually picked up AC II on a steam sale, and I gave it a shot. Unfortunately, my feelings were the same. It was a chore to finish the game. The story certainly didn't hold my interest, and that might have made the gameplay even worse in a way. Still, AC is a popular series, and I know a lot of people love the gameplay.

jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jasonredemption

@turtlethetaffer said:

@jasonredemption: Good place to start is with Ocarina of Time. It's the most highly regarded and a good indicator of what the series is all about. Although my top 3 are Majora's Mask, Wind waker and Link's awakening in that order.

Yeah, I shopped on Amazon used and picked up Ocarina of Time for the N64, Wind Waker for NGC and Skyward Sword for the Wii. Based on my research, that suggests I'd get a good sense of the series, I've played Wind Waker a bit and it seems cool. I'm not sure I can get into an N64 game again, I picked up Mario 64 (another game I never played) and couldn't seem to get into that game at all, in fact, I picked up Super Mario Sunshine (NGC) and couldn't get into that game either. It's really hard to go backwards from sequels back to the original games. Sometimes games were good for the time/age when you played them but have aged poorly. I played Super Mario Galaxy 2 before playing Super Mario Galaxy. When I tried to play the first one I just couldn't get into it.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 turtlethetaffer

@jasonredemption: IDK, I think Ocarina of time has mostly aged well. Granted, it's not the best in the series, let alone best game of all time. Skyward Sword is the worst of the 3D Zeldas, IMO. To me, here's the list in order of quality.

1. Majora's Mask

2. Wind Waker

3. Ocarina of Time

4. Twilight Princess

5. Skyward Sword

They're all good but SS is definitely the most blatantly flawed. Remember that you have the virtual console available to you if you have the Wii. You can get Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and A Link to the Past on there, and they all have solid prices.

jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jasonredemption

@turtlethetaffer I totally spaced on the virtual console. But the virtual console doesn't support use of a GameCube remote, does it? I think if the Wii U released a ton of virtual console games with the pro controller support I might be on board for a Wii U.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Why 12? Not that I'm complaining. Lists are fun. I was just curious if the number had a significance?

Anyway, I'll play along:

• Dead Rising (franchise)
  • Halo (Franchise)
  • Fallout 3
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Street Fighter (Franchise)
  • Saints Row (Franchise)
  • GTA (Franchise)
  • Command & Conquer (Franchise)
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors
  • Forza (Franchise)
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Batman: Arkham (Franchise)

@sukraj said:

My fav games are in no particular order

Dead Rising 3

jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jasonredemption

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

Why 12? Not that I'm complaining. Lists are fun. I was just curious if the number had a significance?

I was going to do 10 but then I ended up wanting to add those last two...haha now that you mention it is a rather odd number for a top list.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@jasonredemption: Virtual console does support Gamecube controller. I have never touched a Classic Controller for Wii. I always just use Gamecube. You can use it for OoT, MM and ALttP. And pretty much any other game on the SNES or N64 from the VC.