My one wish for JRPGs, a feature it should adopt.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snakeofsolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 snakeofsolid
Member since 2005 • 2140 Posts

one single experience pool....

JRPGs could learn from WRPGs to cut down on massive amounts of tedium. Mass Effect and Kotor are great examples, everyone levels all at once, so you can swap your characters on the fly w/o worrying about them being up to snuff.

I've beaten several final fantasy games and i dont know how many of those game hours i spent grinding. I honestly have no problem with grinding, i have problems with grinding 3x as long because you have 9 characters. FFX sorta aleviated this problem, by giving everyone experience as long as they use one move during the battle.

Seriously does anyone find repeated amounts of grinding amusing just to get every at the same level?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

I totally agree.

Grinding is utterly pointless and totally not fun, so anything that reduces the amount of grinding is a good idea.

Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts

Wait so you're saying that everyone gets exp after a battle? (IDK Sorry I haven't played mass effect or kotor).

IMO, that doesn't make sense, if the person isn't in the battle, why would they get experience from that battle?

snakeofsolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 snakeofsolid

thats the whole magic of it, it cuts down on grinding.

In mass effect and kotor, everyone levels at the same time, everyone has hte same amount of experience, and everyone levels at the same experience amounts.

Why should they receive exp for not battling? well cuz its a boatload better then you wanting to use them a few hours later in the game when the 3 people you used are 10 levels above everyone else...which pretty much gives you two options, ditch everyone cept your mains for the rest of the game, or well, grind grind and grind away.

Now wouldnt it be better if you could go through final fantasies without having to grind every character up to snuff?

argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 argianas
Member since 2005 • 6779 Posts
Eh, depends on the system. I know in some FF games, inactive party members get about 75% of the exp. For Suikoden, underlevelled members rocket up in levels fast, and after a few battles are within a level or two of the main character (at which point the exp curve really flattens).
vgm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 vgm007
Member since 2005 • 20931 Posts

IIRC, FFVII did that... to an extent. You still had to grind some.

But you bringing this up makes me think of RPGs in general - but especially the Japanese ones - where you must train extensively just to have a chance at an upcoming boss fight or whatever. FFs suffer a great deal from that trend, where you must spend literally half your game just training your characters. I'm not saying leveling-up shouldn't be a factor, but I am saying it shouldn't take so painstakingly long to do so.

snakeofsolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 snakeofsolid

IIRC, FFVII did that... to an extent. You still had to grind some.

But you bringing this up makes me think of RPGs in general - but especially the Japanese ones - where you must train extensively just to have a chance at an upcoming boss fight or whatever. FFs suffer a great deal from that trend, where you must spend literally half your game just training your characters. I'm not saying leveling-up shouldn't be a factor, but I am saying it shouldn't take so painstakingly long to do so.

vgm007

i agree wholeheartedly, it can get so unbelievably tedious

progress in story, spend 3 hrs training, more story, 3hrs of training( not actual just an example) it really doesnt flow that well that way.