My neighbor's mom thinks games are bad (Urgent, please read)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

derfasdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By derfasdv
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Alright, so my neighbor's mom thinks that video games are just bad, and she can really only play Just Dance on the Wii from what I've seen. As someone who would put their life down for the argument that games are a, if not the best, great medium for entertainment, education, development, and thought-provoking discussions alike, I think that this is like depriving the child of books. I don't want to attack the mom's beliefs, but I'd like to just put a word in with her. Should I? If so, how should I approach the situation?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Why does she think they're bad?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Don't bother.... The best you can do is resist The Urge to shoot up a school or theatre full of innocent people after playing GTA.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Tell her that video games are more diverse now than ever before, and that they cater to many different kinds of people. They exorcize and stimulate the brain and help with development of hand/eye co-ordination. They give kids something to focus on instead of going out and getting in to trouble.

derfasdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 derfasdv

@Minishdriveby: The child never said, but I assume it's the generic "bad for your brain and body" argument. I should have mentioned the fact that the family is most likely a more-than-average devoute christian family. I think this because they don't allow the child and her sister to participate in Halloween. I mean I know that this could be for any reason, but that's just my thought.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@derfasdv said:

@Minishdriveby: The child never said, but I assume it's the generic "bad for your brain and body" argument. I should have mentioned the fact that the family is most likely a more-than-average devoute christian family. I think this because they don't allow the child and her sister to participate in Halloween. I mean I know that this could be for any reason, but that's just my thought.

Then you should be the counter-argument by getting good grades and being physically fit while at the same time enjoying/playing video games.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

What do you think being Christian has to do with this situation?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu

Oh so they're religious ? Then yeah, its better to just leave it alone. If you go in there trying to use common sense and logic then you're going to make things worse.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra

Thats a good question.

derfasdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By derfasdv

@BranKetra: I'm just saying it could be a factor on the mom's view. Not saying anything against religion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@derfasdv

I think he wants you to expand how her Christianity factors into distrusting Video Games.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Just leave it, religion and video games aren't a very good mix. You'd just be wasting your time, although you could show her some kid-friendly games that encourage you to use your brain and that are not violent.

derfasdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 derfasdv

@BranKetra: Simply put, "Thou shalt not kill" and the (possible) assumption that a lot of video games are shooters that glorify violence don'r really mix well. I apologize if my comments are coming off the wrong way, and if you were really just curious about why I think that, alright than. All of these possible factors that I've thought of are just that, possible, meaning that they may or may not true and are just based on speculation. She may think that games are bad for completley different reasons than what I've stated, or I may be spot on. Maybe I'm ignorant (not calling her ignorant, she's a very nice and smart person), thinking of these narrow-minded reasons on her views on a topic.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@BattleSpectre

And theres Motion Controls which ensure players remain active, put that on top of Local and Online Multiplayer which counter anti-social behavior and theres really not much to argue about.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@derfasdv

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

It's none of your damn business what she thinks really.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@derfasdv: If I was you I'd stay out of it. Crazy Christians can go nuts when their ideas or preconceived notions get tossed about. Not really your place to do so either.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#18 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@derfasdv: Tell her about the research and conclude that games are actually better than just watching TV all day

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

or like other posters have said, stay out of it, it sounds like she wouldn't see sense anyway

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@The_Last_Ride

That comes across as choosing the lesser of 2 evils.... in which gaming could still lose.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

Just leave it, religion and video games aren't a very good mix. You'd just be wasting your time, although you could show her some kid-friendly games that encourage you to use your brain and that are not violent.

I'm religious and I have been a hardcore gamer my whole life. One has nothing to do with the other, the reality is that many people who are older, religious or not, are opposed to video games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Introduce her to Extra Credits.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

This. Why do you see the need to change point of view?

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Show her Hatred.

No but in all seriousness it really depends on the kind of person she is. If she's simply misinformed then you can try to show her the fun to be had gaming (lean towards sports and nintendo games, mind). If she misinforms herself by... say... watching Fox News, leave her be and may Arceus have mercy on her children.

I don't think religion itself has much to do with videogames, rather that social group tends to also be more conservative, and conservatives? Ho boy, those people will find any excuse to hate on games.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Why don't you just sit back and watch her play Just Dance?! kidding...

Why are you trying to convince her? Are you trying to play with your neighbor but you can't? I think your best bet is showing her games that don't have any gratuitous violence, language, and adult themes. I think you'll have to start with puzzle and sports games. Tetris and Fez come to mind.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

@Grieverr said:

Why are you trying to convince her?

Yeah, dude. Stop trying to bang your neighbor's mom and come up with something constructive to do like, I don't know, play a video game?

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@Fire_Wa11 said:

@Grieverr said:

Why are you trying to convince her?

Yeah, dude. Stop trying to bang your neighbor's mom and come up with something constructive to do like, I don't know, play a video game?

And that, ladies and gents, is how we take a quote completely out of context and change its whole meaning.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

@derfasdv said:

I don't want to attack the mom's beliefs, but I'd like to just put a word in with her. Should I? If so, how should I approach the situation?

no you absolutely should not attack her beliefs...

...you should just attack her personally and beat the shit out of that dumb *itch

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

If it doesn't affect you directly, what does it matter what she thinks?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

@sabretooth2066

Not Cool.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Does it really matter?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

They are bad. There is worse...

alvin_joseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By alvin_joseph
Member since 2014 • 110 Posts

@derfasdv: Just ignore her. As long as did not offend others, go on. You know know already your responsibilities and commitments.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

You and I have a very different definition of urgent.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
@derfasdv said:

@BranKetra: Simply put, "Thou shalt not kill" and the (possible) assumption that a lot of video games are shooters that glorify violence don'r really mix well. I apologize if my comments are coming off the wrong way, and if you were really just curious about why I think that, alright than. All of these possible factors that I've thought of are just that, possible, meaning that they may or may not true and are just based on speculation. She may think that games are bad for completley different reasons than what I've stated, or I may be spot on. Maybe I'm ignorant (not calling her ignorant, she's a very nice and smart person), thinking of these narrow-minded reasons on her views on a topic.

I was just curious. I do not mean to seem condescending. It is great that you thought about this instead of making a subtle insult.

There are games that do that; indeed, they glorify violence. Most that I play view it as a necessary action to achieve a desired goal. The violence is not spotlighted by players nearly as much as winning and losing is. Also, many games only allow players to perform acts of violence as acts of self defense. Assassin's Creed, for example, penalizes players for attacking innocents and repeatedly doing that results in a game over. Similar to acts of violence written in the bible, understanding the reason for character actions might be what you need to persuade your neighbor's mother to agreeing that video games are more good than bad. In the case of video games, it would be the stories which can be known in part by reading the back of any video game box.

P.S.: I am not saying you need to agree with Christian values; what is important is respecting beliefs as best as possible. Doing so will strengthen your argument. Also, I am not saying this with the idea that there is no way you know this already, but perhaps my comment can give a voice to what you already know, but have yet to put into words.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lulu_Lulu

Actually if I had to be honest... I think games are bad too.

vicky_john1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vicky_john1
Member since 2014 • 230 Posts

May be she afraid about violent games. Show her that you would also play family based games like Sims.. =D

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@Pedro said:

@pimphand_gamer said:

This. Why do you see the need to change point of view?

Come on, what's wrong with a little discussion? The OP showed no direct intention to change her point of view, just to provide another perspective. The mother in question can do whatever she wants with that. The way I see it, discussion isn't as much about convincing the other person as it is about broadening your or someone else's view on certain things. I think it's perfectly healthy to be open to questioning your own beliefs, even though it might be uncomfortable or threatening for some people. People are free to have their own opinion, but the world would be a horrible place if we would all stick to our initial impressions and opinions. Just don't go into discussions trying to convince someone. That would only make sense if there was in fact one single undeniable truth. Also:

@Minishdriveby said:

Then you should be the counter-argument by getting good grades and being physically fit while at the same time enjoying/playing video games.

This. If there's one thing crucial in determining opinions and impressions it's personal experience. If the people surrounding this mother play videogames and are healthy, succesful, social and happy individuals, then there's no reason for her to think videogames are bad. The mother in question possibly has a personal experience in which children spend way too long in front of a screen without being physically active and without interacting with other children, apparently only showing interest in violence. So the most convincing argument is to be the shining example of someone who loves videogames and is doing well in life.

Parents will probably react with worry to any kind of excess that goes beyond their own experience (not specifically videogames). Even when it comes to being a Christian, they'll probably have ideas about the right balance of expressing their faith. Even devout Christians might get worried if their child does nothing but pray and read scripture.