My friend says he has more classics than me

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by MDK12345 (2137 posts) -

So I went to my friends house the other day and we were playing on his screen, then he pulled out his ''game'' binder and started flipping the pages and said, ''Look at all this.'' Mostly PS2 games, and he pulled out ''Capcom Classics'' and a number of games like ''Crazy Taxi'', ''Soul Caliber 2'' etc. It's like every time he came to my house, he would be excited about all my games. But then he'd make trips to Goodwill or even Game Stops that still sell PS2 games, and he'd pick up ''classics.'' And now he keeps saying he has the better games than me. I almost felt offended but realized I shouldn't be arguing over something stupid.

He only has like 5 PS3 games, I have way more. But who cares. I mean this guy picks up games he considers classics just to have them in his binder so he can show off. And when he's at my house, he always pulls subliminal stuff like tells me even though I have Mario Kart, I don't have ''all'' of the Mario Karts. It's starting to get a bit annoying. He has to make himself feel good by getting all the ''classics.'' What do you feel his motive is? I don't understand collecting classics just to have them. I don't even think he plays all of them. How does this make one feel special? Do you anyone that collects games like they're baseball cards and puts them in binders to try to show off?

And he gets rid of the games that he feels aren't ''good'' enough to be in his binder.

#2 Posted by dragonfly110 (27076 posts) -

He just sounds obnoxious to me, idk haha some people are stupid. Although I'm guilty of purchasing a lot more games than I have the time to play myself, I've often collected games for older systems...hunting them down from various garage sales/flea markets/thrift stores is a bit of a hobby of mine.

#3 Edited by MDK12345 (2137 posts) -

@dragonfly110 said:

He just sounds obnoxious to me, idk haha some people are stupid. Although I'm guilty of purchasing a lot more games than I have the time to play myself, I've often collected games for older systems...hunting them down from various garage sales/flea markets/thrift stores is a bit of a hobby of mine.

Nothing wrong with game collecting. But the question is are you trying to show it off?

#4 Posted by dragonfly110 (27076 posts) -

@mdk12345: I mean if someone wants to be impressed by it they can be my guest. Game collections aren't really the most impressive thing to the general populace though haha. I don't really bring many people around my place anyways so it's never really come up honestly. My ex used to really dig it though, she wouldn't leave any of it alone.

#5 Posted by johnd13 (8202 posts) -

I think it's great having collections of the things you love and potentially something to be proud of but that kind of "show-off" seems a bit childish to me(from what I got reading your post). I would be like "ok.... cool story bro...".

#7 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (19032 posts) -

A game collection is kept for oneself, not to show off and brag to friends. Tell him to sell it to someone who actually cares and to go pimp his car instead.

#8 Posted by Treflis (11801 posts) -

Sounds very childish to be honest.

It's great that he has a collection and is proud of it when he shows it, but acting like he's better because of it and taking jabs at others who have less is just obnoxious and childish.

#9 Edited by Lhomity (465 posts) -

Your friend stopped having any credibility as a game collector when he began storing his game discs in a binder.

Just... eww.

#10 Edited by bezza2011 (2716 posts) -

hahahahaha sounds like me he does, just get over it let him gloat doesn't mean nothing, i have a game binder carry case, and I'm buying games for the sake of buying games this gen just to fill it and to show off, what games i've got :P hahahahaha

@Lhomity Why is it eww???? I have a big house, wife and kids, I have shelves and everything all in the backroom but my system and blu ray player and everything is in the front room. So I have my shelves to show off my collection to anyone who is interested but all my game disc's and blu rays are in the front room in a big CD folder so it's easy for me playing games just to flick through that (Alphabetical of course) no problem in it for me. plus it means my Collection is always pristine and in mint condition and so are my disc's.

#11 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

In a binder? Yikes, yeah… no.

#12 Posted by MDK12345 (2137 posts) -

@Lhomity said:

Your friend stopped having any credibility as a game collector when he began storing his game discs in a binder.

Just... eww.

Yea and I think he threw away some cases. He doesn't have a lot of room, so he likes to keep everything in a binder. Plus he loves flipping threw all the pages and looking at hundreds of ''classics.'' One of his friends from school was a hard core gamer and had a binder, so that's where he got the idea from. But I think it's silly. Because once you lose that binder, you've lost everything.

#13 Posted by Jacanuk (5565 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

So I went to my friends house the other day and we were playing on his screen, then he pulled out his ''game'' binder and started flipping the pages and said, ''Look at all this.'' Mostly PS2 games, and he pulled out ''Capcom Classics'' and a number of games like ''Crazy Taxi'', ''Soul Caliber 2'' etc. It's like every time he came to my house, he would be excited about all my games. But then he'd make trips to Goodwill or even Game Stops that still sell PS2 games, and he'd pick up ''classics.'' And now he keeps saying he has the better games than me. I almost felt offended but realized I shouldn't be arguing over something stupid.

He only has like 5 PS3 games, I have way more. But who cares. I mean this guy picks up games he considers classics just to have them in his binder so he can show off. And when he's at my house, he always pulls subliminal stuff like tells me even though I have Mario Kart, I don't have ''all'' of the Mario Karts. It's starting to get a bit annoying. He has to make himself feel good by getting all the ''classics.'' What do you feel his motive is? I don't understand collecting classics just to have them. I don't even think he plays all of them. How does this make one feel special? Do you anyone that collects games like they're baseball cards and puts them in binders to try to show off?

And he gets rid of the games that he feels aren't ''good'' enough to be in his binder.

My friend also do that but then i take out my wood and show him that its a lot longer than his and he shuts up.

Or on a more serious note, you are still a kid and if that "friend" thinks he has to compete with you, either tell him to stop or find another friend.

#14 Posted by Bigboi500 (30998 posts) -

@Lhomity said:

Just... eww.

Yeah that's just a big ole no right there.

#15 Edited by Old_Gooseberry (3957 posts) -

He sounds like an annoying friend, get a new one. Quality before quantity you know... he can have hundreds of ps2 games but i'm sure most are crap. I wouldn't call ps2 games classics really either, they aren't that old. Classics to me are snes or nes games.

And ya binders are not a great place for games, binders are where you put backups of your games, not the originals.

#16 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18324 posts) -

You're friends an Asshole. Drop his ass like a bad habit.

A better friend is what you need.... Somebody with all the hot, codependent, local co-op games.

#17 Edited by Starshine_M2A2 (4102 posts) -

Somebody should tell him that a lot of games are labelled 'classic' from day one just to sell more copies.

#18 Edited by MethodManFTW (26032 posts) -

Kick his ass and break all his games.