Movie tie-in games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#1 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

We all know that when a movie gets a game made about it, it's almost always junk. But that's not the point of this thread. We already know that for every occasionally good movie based game, there are a dozen that were awful and not worth your time or money.

What I'd like to do with this thread, is hear what you wish a movie tie-in game could be. Think of it as a perfect world scenario where games actually do what a movie tie-in game should do: Offer you an extention of the film's world for you to interact with and play around in.

What movie would you pick? Doesn't have to be a film either, could be a show. Or a book you really think would make a great game. I just used the movie example because it's a problem we've all seen in our gaming lives. "Boy I sure liked [movie], I wish I could [what the hero did] in a game".

So what movie would you like to see lovingly crafted into a game? And what kind of game? What gameplay genre would best fit the film or show or book you choose?

I'll hang on to mine for now. I have a perfect one picked out, but I'd like to see if anyone else mentions it first. :)

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@ZZoMBiE13: The Avengers. There was so much they could have done with the massive alien invasion scene that there wouldn't have been any need to focus on anything other than that. It would have been a ten+ hour extension of that scene.

Ideally, they would have taken all of the best superhero and open world ideas and resolved them into a single mind-bendingly awesome title-

Captain America: Super Soldier would form the base for all melee combat, as well as Cap's traversal method.

Iron Man could take cues from Dark Void for flight-to-hover-ground transitions.

Black Widow and Hawkeye would be based on Just Cause 2 for traversal and firearm use(Hawkeye would, of course, need a shooting system crafted for his bow).

Hulk could have his traversal and combat lifted right out of Ultimate Destruction.

And Thor would need a flight system crafted to be different from Iron Man's- I'm thinking straight lines, like omni-directional ziplines with a brief hover period to choose a new direction.

Pack it full of various specialty enemies and giant boss characters unseen in the film and you're all set.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King would make one super RPG. Keep the game relevant and the characters accurate from the novels and it would be great. You have an apocalyptic world and a man on a mission. A little narrative to tie in with it maybe and make all the encounters intense.

DavidSchmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DavidSchmidt
Member since 2013 • 50 Posts

If anyone has read The circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker I think those could make some really interesting and fun games.

For a t.v show I think Robin Hood would be an awesome idea for a game, but if you could make it a little more dark and epic. That would be awesome!!

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 El_Zo1212o

@bowchicka07: I don't know how you would handle things like the Drawing or the riddling contest in a game. Or accurately convey the idea that out of X-hundred bullets expended in the course of the series there were *maybe* 4 misses. Much better, I think, for an epic book series would be the Sword of Truth- hack & slash goodness with a touch of magic, several potential sequels based on different arcs of the stories.

@davidschmidt: Are you talking about the BBC Robin Hood? I thought it was pretty darker and edgier compared to, say, the Disney or Men In Tights versions.

DavidSchmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DavidSchmidt
Member since 2013 • 50 Posts

@El_Zo1212o: yes and as I've thought about it you are right! I should have compared it to the BBC version.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

Oh man, a good Robin Hood game would be a very welcome addition to my game collection. It could be dark and gritty or bright and whimsical, I would buy it regardless. Good suggestion! :)

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Dexter B)

You'd have to investigate and and gather evidence to meet the code.

Then plan a precise method of execution.

Actually, that would probably be way too much for a game. I don't think the media would like a game about stalking victims and murdering them as a serial killer.

I watch movies/ tv shows all the time that make me think they would be great as video games, Dexter is just on the brain right now because that's my drug of choice atm. (Except alcohol, gotta love that alcohol :P)

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@El_Zo1212o said:

@ZZoMBiE13: The Avengers. There was so much they could have done with the massive alien invasion scene that there wouldn't have been any need to focus on anything other than that. It would have been a ten+ hour extension of that scene.

Ideally, they would have taken all of the best superhero and open world ideas and resolved them into a single mind-bendingly awesome title-

Captain America: Super Soldier would form the base for all melee combat, as well as Cap's traversal method.

Iron Man could take cues from Dark Void for flight-to-hover-ground transitions.

Black Widow and Hawkeye would be based on Just Cause 2 for traversal and firearm use(Hawkeye would, of course, need a shooting system crafted for his bow).

Hulk could have his traversal and combat lifted right out of Ultimate Destruction.

And Thor would need a flight system crafted to be different from Iron Man's- I'm thinking straight lines, like omni-directional ziplines with a brief hover period to choose a new direction.

Pack it full of various specialty enemies and giant boss characters unseen in the film and you're all set.

Meh at Black Widow and Hawkeye. Do Avengers right and insert Wolverine and Spiderman in there with their respective gameplay elements. Game makes massive bank and the three movie companies that own the respective rights get over themselves and join forces to make the ultimate superhero movie, starring Hugh Jackman and not the kid who did the last spidey movie.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

James Cameron's Avatar.

That universe/setting is just screaming for a proper video game treatment. There's just so much stuff to work with there.

It's a damn shame the movie tie-in game was mediocre as hell but that's to be expected and the purpose of this thread :P

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@pyratrum said:

James Cameron's Avatar.

That universe/setting is just screaming for a proper video game treatment. There's just so much stuff to work with there.

It's a damn shame the movie tie-in game was mediocre as hell but that's to be expected and the purpose of this thread :P

That was difficult. The game was being done at the same time as the movie and the dev team was basically in the dark because Cameron was so secretive about the project. It wasn't a collaboration in any sense of the word. It was destined to fail as a game. As a product, it sold around 3 mill for Ubi.

Companies know if they piggy-back onto a big movie they can make money regardless, so the incentive isn't really there to go the extra mile with the game.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

Oh man, a good Robin Hood game would be a very welcome addition to my game collection. It could be dark and gritty or bright and whimsical, I would buy it regardless. Good suggestion! :)

The Hobbit will be Great, playing as Thorin,Gandalf,Legolas,Bilbo in different missions will be cool

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

LOTR: Two Towers is the only correct answer

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 El_Zo1212o

@The_Last_Ride: Only if you don't grasp the actual question.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZZoMBiE13

I guess now is as good a time as any to throw out my suggestions.

• I want a game based on Friday the 13th. And I don't want to be a camper, I want to be Jason. It'd be a stealth action game akin to Splinter Cell or the Predator Challenges from Batman's Arkham games. The hook though, is that you can only exterminate "naughty" teens. So you have to stalk and observe each camper or whatever until you observe them trying to smoke pot or bully a smaller nerdier camper. Something to earn the ire of Jason, then you can strike. Of course you are Jason so you can strike any time, but this game has a score element so better Jasons will want to earn higher points.
  • I want a G.I. Joe game. I've wanted this since I was a kid. I'd like an RTS game with G.I. Joe units to move around the battlefield. I want to command a battalion on HISS tanks to swarm on the Joe's HQ while Zartan has an infiltration mission on another part of the map.
  • How the hell does PACIFIC RIM not get a proper game? I know there was some busted downloadable title, but seriously. Why half ass it like that? The entire game is built into the very premise. Pilot Giant Robot. Giant Monster over there, kill they ass. Put in some Armored Core style progression and a build-a-Jaeger component and the game practically sells itself even without the licence. But let me take my own Jaeger alongside Gipsy Danger and you've got a AAA title I can really support.
  • And finally, with an industry that often time seems like there is a law in place forcing zombie games, how do we not have a Night of the Living Dead game? Seriously? It's my favorite movie. I love (good) zombie fiction, and with survival games with horror settings being so popular, it just seems like someone would have thought to make a proper movie game about NotLD. Romero famously fouled up the copyright on the original print of the film so he's been screwed out of tons of royalties over the years, why not recoup some of that by making a game? You could do a side story about the initial breakout of the undead, you could do a survivor tale from inside another house, or you could just retell the story in game form.
loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

If they could have just nailed Ryse, we'd have Gladiator right there. Also, something nice for level designers to go crazy on: Inception or The Cell. And maybe Seven. I know there's L.A. Noire, but that game didn't confront enough. It needs to be darker and moodier. I'm also curious to see how they would make a world like District 9 work in a game. Or Sin City.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@El_Zo1212o said:

@The_Last_Ride: Only if you don't grasp the actual question.

Well big battles like that in LOTR or other big movies like 300 are awesome. But they are never really depicted well in games. But i still would choose a movie like that

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ZZoMBiE13

@loafofgame said:

If they could have just nailed Ryse, we'd have Gladiator right there. Also, something nice for level designers to go crazy on: Inception or The Cell. And maybe Seven. I know there's L.A. Noire, but that game didn't confront enough. It needs to be darker and moodier. I'm also curious to see how they would make a world like District 9 work in a game. Or Sin City.

SinCity would have made a fantastic side-scrolling beat-em-up back in the SNES era. Imagine Marv just going nuts on gang members and mob hoods as well as police sent to take him down. Hell the character is already practically Haggar from Final Fight with an overcoat. :)

District 9 would be an interesting world to set a game in. I wouldn't even know what to wish for on that one. Open world alien weaponry shooter? I dunno, it'd be interesting to see though.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 El_Zo1212o

@ZZoMBiE13: GI Joe, yes- RTS, no. I was thinking more of a multiplayer open world shooter. It would basically be Just Cause 2, but with multiple characters for each side(which the dev could monetize the hell out of by offering character pack DLCs), and the sole game mode would be to conquer all of the bases on the map. To conquer a base, your fire team would invade, clear out all of the NPCs in a GTAO-gang-attack-style encounter plus any opposing players. Maybe throw in a hacking minigame like the self destruct sequences in some of the enemy bases in Just Cause 2. when you take a base, the other side no longer spawns there and they either attempt to take it back or sneak some other base out from under you. It would have to be at least 16 people per side, and maybe 20-24 bases total. And if a base is attacked, you can opt to fast travel by land, sea or air as available. Tons of Joe vehicles could be represented as either transport, operable support hardware or fast travel portals. Personal transport could be anything from grappling hooks and parachutes to wingsuits, gliders and jetpacks.

@The_Last_Ride: I was a big fan of LotR: Conquest. Did you ever play it? That game had some of the largest scale battles I'd ever seen at the time. Of course, that was shortly after I bought my 360, and it seems kinda rinky dink now, but it was still a great melee action game, even if the out-of-bounds forces were locked in parry/thrust animations.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

Back to the Future. I'd love to see a modern video game adaptation of that, where you can explore different possibilities and see how your actions affect the timeline. In other words, the interactive time-travelling of Radiant Historia or Steins Gate, with the urban sandbox environment of Shenmue or GTA, and of course the plot and setting of Back to the Future.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@El_Zo1212o said:

@ZZoMBiE13: GI Joe, yes- RTS, no. I was thinking more of a multiplayer open world shooter. It would basically be Just Cause 2, but with multiple characters for each side(which the dev could monetize the hell out of by offering character pack DLCs), and the sole game mode would be to conquer all of the bases on the map. To conquer a base, your fire team would invade, clear out all of the NPCs in a GTAO-gang-attack-style encounter plus any opposing players. Maybe throw in a hacking minigame like the self destruct sequences in some of the enemy bases in Just Cause 2. when you take a base, the other side no longer spawns there and they either attempt to take it back or sneak some other base out from under you. It would have to be at least 16 people per side, and maybe 20-24 bases total. And if a base is attacked, you can opt to fast travel by land, sea or air as available. Tons of Joe vehicles could be represented as either transport, operable support hardware or fast travel portals. Personal transport could be anything from grappling hooks and parachutes to wingsuits, gliders and jetpacks.

@The_Last_Ride: I was a big fan of LotR: Conquest. Did you ever play it? That game had some of the largest scale battles I'd ever seen at the time. Of course, that was shortly after I bought my 360, and it seems kinda rinky dink now, but it was still a great melee action game, even if the out-of-bounds forces were locked in parry/thrust animations.

I would like for them to do something like the original Two Towers game for the PS2, where you take part of a big battle like Helms Deep. It was held back because of it's limitations at that time, but it was still awesome

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

A Robin Hood game that's quite dark...yeah, so far most of the robin hood shows/movies I've seen have been a bit "adjusted" for viewer discretion or something.
That would be awesome I think...

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

@The_Last_Ride said:

I would like for them to do something like the original Two Towers game for the PS2, where you take part of a big battle like Helms Deep. It was held back because of it's limitations at that time, but it was still awesome

That was a great game. So was RotK. I enjoyed them in and of themselves, but they also led to me dipping in to the action RPG genre. Baldur's Gate, later Champions of Norrath and it's sequel. Even though they were EA games, and I'm currently one of EA's loudest detractors, those were a boon to them at the time. And left me with quite a lineage of fun in their wake.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 El_Zo1212o

That's pretty much what Conquest was. All of the major battles from Helm's Deep, through Moria and Gondor, and all the way to the Black Gate. Then there was a whole Evil campaign afterward.

But I know what you're getting at- I loved TTT and RotK, too, along with the likes of King Arthur. Conquest wasn't the next gen sequels or do-overs they deserved, but they sure were better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Champions was hands down my all time favorite PS2 game. Return to Arms very much less so. I even tried Dark Alliance 2 and the Xmen Legends games.

Until LotR: War in the North came out, I hadn't fallen in love with an ARPG since Champions of Norrath.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I would like a tie in of Star Wars A New Hope. We'd follow Han and Chewie in the months prior to meeting Obi Wan and Luke. Would be based on the Uncharted mold. Or a Starship Troopers: Rasczak's Roughnecks FPS prequel. Might be fun. Crime thrillers like, Alex Cross series would be great in the TWD style.

gantarat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gantarat
Member since 2012 • 146 Posts

Riddick anyone ?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#27 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

One: How the hell do developers fvck up an Iron Man game? Flying around in a robotic suit that shoots rockets? That's AAA material right there. I'd like to see a proper Iron Man game, one that actually makes use of the awesomeness.

I'd also like to see a game based on Supernatural. It could be an open world, filled with different "hunting" jobs, along with story based ones. You could travel between different sections of the country so that you don't literally have a whole country to explore. I think it'd work.