Mourn for BioWare and Pandemic Here

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 darthzew
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts

This is a place of mourning. Mourn for the death of our beloved developers, BioWare and Pandemic here. Leave your condolences or even a eulogy here.

To let you know, they died by way of being absorbed by Electronic Arts, the biggest corporate slug of gaming.

Please, mourn with your fellow gamers...

OFFICIAL STORY:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6180818.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

A BLOG POST CONTAINING AN ENTIRE FUNERAL FOR BIOWARE/PANDEMIC:

http://www.gamespot.com/users/darthzew/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25180635#post_comment

In loving memory of BioWare and Pandemic...

ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 ShenlongBo
Member since 2004 • 3800 Posts

This is lame. Every last person condemning EA forits successesis a hypocrite as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, as far as any of us know, Bioware/Pandemic are partying their asses off with the flatbed of money EA dumped on them.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Besides, as far as any of us know, Bioware/Pandemic are partying their asses off with the flatbed of money EA dumped on them.

ShenlongBo

Indeed. They must cry themselves to sleep over a huge pile of money, and singing "It's a Beautiful Day". :P

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
EA may not be the most constant publisher in terms of quality, but they sure released a number of quality games in the past. Give 'em a break.
darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darthzew

This is lame. Every last person condemning EA forits successesis a hypocrite as far as I'm concerned.

ShenlongBo

I'mnot condeming their success. I'm condeming their past. Look at them, they ATE Westwood studios! For all we know, that could happen to Pandemic or BioWare.I doubt they're partying, they just lost their independence. Something that Bungie fought for and won.

Let's also look at BioWare. BioWare has a history of focusing on one console and then rocking like crazy. Well, EA has a track record of making games and then attempting to spread it around like butter over the toast, losing the consistency of the butter. In other words, EA hate exclusives and exclusives have always been the best games. Yes, there are exceptions like Oblivion, but it can't be denied that exclusives are the best.

ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShenlongBo
[QUOTE="ShenlongBo"]

darthzew

I'mnot condeming their success. I'm condeming their past. Look at them, they ATE Westwood studios! For all we know, that could happen to Pandemic or BioWare.I doubt they're partying, they just lost their independence. Something that Bungie fought for and won.

Let's also look at BioWare. BioWare has a history of focusing on one console and then rocking like crazy. Well, EA has a track record of making games and then attempting to spread it around like butter over the toast, losing the consistency of the butter. In other words, EA hate exclusives and exclusives have always been the best games. Yes, there are exceptions like Oblivion, but it can't be denied that exclusives are the best.

Okay... and? Have you got any meaningful points, or are all just supposed to arbitrarily hate EA because you do?

darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darthzew
[QUOTE="darthzew"][QUOTE="ShenlongBo"]

ShenlongBo

Okay... and? Have you got any meaningful points, or are all just supposed to arbitrarily hate EA because you do?

Point being that they're eating the industry. Really, while this IS extreme, we could end up seeing Nintendo making consoles while EA makes games. And, when one company gets too big and eats the industry like they are, gaming loses its original flair. I'd bet you a lot that Tiberium Wars would have been twice as good if a more motivated company, like Westwood was, had taken the project. Now, BioWare and Pandemic's games could (and probably will)become a part of theEA's rushedepicenter of mediocrity.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

For all we know, that could happen to Pandemic or BioWare.I doubt they're partying, they just lost their independence. Something that Bungie fought for and won.darthzew
For all we know, EA could be extremely hands off with Bioware/Pandemic, and simply be on the ready to be the first ones to get bank when those games perform well in the market.

Furthermore, I don't get this whole 'lost their independence' talk. To the best of my knowledge, this was more or less an agreement between both parties at the end of the day, not some sort of fight/battle out in a field where Bioware's base was captured by the big, evil EA.

Maybe Bioware/Pandemic really /wanted/ to be part of EA.

darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darthzew

[QUOTE="darthzew"]For all we know, that could happen to Pandemic or BioWare.I doubt they're partying, they just lost their independence. Something that Bungie fought for and won.Skylock00

For all we know, EA could be extremely hands off with Bioware/Pandemic, and simply be on the ready to be the first ones to get bank when those games perform well in the market.

Furthermore, I don't get this whole 'lost their independence' talk. To the best of my knowledge, this was more or less an agreement between both parties at the end of the day, not some sort of fight/battle out in a field where Bioware's base was captured by the big, evil EA.

Being a part of EA (or anything) just means less control. Yes, EA could just want to be first bank and it could be that they are hands off, but it means that EA controlls their marketing and pretty much where the sales go. They don't have the choice of who to bear that responsibility is. Also, ownership means that they could hands down deny them a project.

ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ShenlongBo
[QUOTE="Skylock00"]

[QUOTE="darthzew"]For all we know, that could happen to Pandemic or BioWare.I doubt they're partying, they just lost their independence. Something that Bungie fought for and won.darthzew

Being a part of EA (or anything) just means less control. Yes, EA could just want to be first bank and it could be that they are hands off, but it means that EA controlls their marketing and pretty much where the sales go. They don't have the choice of who to bear that responsibility is. Also, ownership means that they could hands down deny them a project.

I'm sure BioPan (as I'm now calling them. I'm charging royalties for any use of the term from this point forward) was very much aware of what you're saying when they signed the dotted line. Yet, sign it they did.

It's not awful. EA is not the bane of the industry. In fact, EA is pretty sweet in my book.

darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darthzew
[QUOTE="darthzew"][QUOTE="Skylock00"]

[QUOTE="darthzew"]For all we know, that could happen to Pandemic or BioWare.I doubt they're partying, they just lost their independence. Something that Bungie fought for and won.ShenlongBo

I'm sure BioPan (as I'm now calling them. I'm charging royalties for any use of the term from this point forward) was very much aware of what you're saying when they signed the dotted line. Yet, sign it they did.

It's not awful. EA is not the bane of the industry. In fact, EA is pretty sweet in my book.

I can't argue that EA has NOT made good games... that's just stupid. Let's look at the Sims or Battlefield. But EA is continously making poor titles that EVERYONE buys! Which is bad! Even their once shining Medal of Honor series fell to the into the realm of the unpolished with Airborne. Yes, BioWare/Pandemic (I'd rather not pay, lol) was aware of that, but they couldn't refuse as much money as EA was paying them to do it.

I like making my own movies and I've even named my "studio", which I call Watchtower Independent Studios. I know that I would take millions of dollars to be bought by Warner Bros. (just an example) but I wouldn't like it because they now determine what I can and can't do. Maybe my example isn't perfect, but it's close enough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

It's too early to judge whether EA will kill the quality of games developed by Bioware and Pandemic as no game has been released since the takeover. Personally i think people should put their paranoia and over excited opinions about this subject to the side until we have solid evidence EA has/hasn't killed the quality of games Bioware and Pandemic make.

I admit when i first heard the news i was in the "omg wtf, how could they sell out to EA!" crowd but after some thought it might work out pretty well. Bioware has established that they can make some great games that make money if their left to it and since EA will be interested in the profits they may just say "ok Bioware, we'll leave you to do your thing and make money from it when your finished".

We shouldn't be so quick to judge or form opinions on the future quality of games by Bioware and Pandemic when for all we know EA might not interfere much if at all in the developement stages of games created by both companies. For all we know EA might just take a back seat and let them get on with it and reel in the profits made by them.

darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darthzew

It's too early to judge whether EA will kill the quality of games developed by Bioware and Pandemic as no game has been released since the takeover. Personally i think people should put their paranoia and over excited opinions about this subject to the side until we have solid evidence EA has/hasn't killed the quality of games Bioware and Pandemic make.

I admit when i first heard the news i was in the "omg wtf, how could they sell out to EA!" crowd but after some thought it might work out pretty well. Bioware has established that they can make some great games that make money if their left to it and since EA will be interested in the profits they may just say "ok Bioware, we'll leave you to do your thing and make money from it when your finished".

We shouldn't be so quick to judge or form opinions on the future quality of games by Bioware and Pandemic when for all we know EA might not interfere much if at all in the developement stages of games created by both companies. For all we know EA might just take a back seat and let them get on with it and reel in the profits made by them.

Good point, but I can't help but doubt... After all, with what do we have to see the future with if not the past?