Most disappointing 2012 (so far)? Rest of 2012? Predict 2013?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GalvatronType_R (1878 posts) -

Most disappointing of 2012 (so far) = Ninja Gaiden 3 (this was Hayashi and Tecmo's big chance to get out of Itagaki's shadow and both failed miserably; somewhere in Japan, Itagaki put down the sake and nudie mags long enough to laugh uncontrollably)

Rest of 2012 = Resident Evil 6 (horrid tank controls + awful camera + overpowered and unlimited melee + rushed/moved up release date with less polish time to avoid Halo 4 & Black Ops II + lots of on-disk "DLC" = Beats by Dr. Dre/Monster Cable-level fail)

Predict 2013 = Splinter Cell Black List (Ubisoft Montreal will regret putting a Call of Duty spin into their stealth action franchise; oh, and two more words: "Michael Ironside")

#2 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18413 posts) -

Most disappointing of 2012 (so far) = Ninja Gaiden 3 (this was Hayashi and Tecmo's big chance to get out of Itagaki's shadow and both failed miserably; somewhere in Japan, Itagaki put down the sake and nudie mags long enough to laugh uncontrollably)

Rest of 2012 = Resident Evil 6 (horrid tank controls + awful camera + overpowered and unlimited melee + rushed/moved up release date with less polish time to avoid Halo 4 & Black Ops II + lots of on-disk "DLC" = Beats by Dr. Dre/Monster Cable-level fail)

Predict 2013 = Splinter Cell Black List (Ubisoft Montreal will regret putting a Call of Duty spin into their stealth action franchise; oh, and two more words: "Michael Ironside")

GalvatronType_R
I agree on Splinter Cell Craplist, they f*cked up so bad this time we need to send a clear message: don't buy the game, people. If it fails hard they will have to give us what we want the next time.
#3 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Most disappointing game of 2012 so far: Silent Hill Downpour.

Rest of 2012: Resident Evil 6, because there are too many campaigns and the graphics and gameplay look poor compared to RE5.

2013: Dead Space 3. Although I think the game will be great, they are taking the series in the wrong direction, leaning towards action rather than horror.

Splinter Cell Blacklist looks pretty good imo.

#4 Posted by MirkoS77 (7336 posts) -
Most dissapointing game this year: Diablo III. No predictions than the ones already said.
#5 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

Most disappointing I've played was Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends. It was equal parts boring and frustrating. Got to this one part where you had to drive a Ferrari 512 BB that handled like somebody let half the air out of the tires. It didn't even turn, it just slewed sideways and slid. And you had to win about 5 races in it before you could advance on to anything else. I think I paid $50 for that game and tossed it back on the shelf two evenings later.

Don't know what will be most disappointing in the future; pick whichever franchise sequel gets hyped up to the point where you're sick to death of hearing about it, and most likely gets a 9+ from the reviewers. It'll probably be less than mediocre and positively nauseating from all the excessive aggrandizement.

#6 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i was really disappointed with mass effect 3. i liked the core gameplay (outside of the sprinting they mapped to the cover button, which obviously led to sheppard sticking to everything he ran by), but the level (and occasional boss) design was something awful. bioware messed something big up in nearly every mission. i dont think ill ever forget that obviously scripted chase sequence on mars or dieing in a boss fight because my backup wouldnt shut the hell up and shoot. i did actually kind of like my ending, but i refuse to go through a new one to make everything i endured up to it meaningless and i hate that they changed it in the first place.

as for predicting future disappointments, i dont know. if i think they are going to suck, its not really a disappointment if they do.

EDIT: to make this post less negative, my most anticipated upcoming games for the rest of the year are unfinished swan and dishonored. im doing a bit of a blackout of previews for them now so i come in fresh.

#7 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16277 posts) -
[QUOTE="GalvatronType_R"]

Black_Knight_00
I agree on Splinter Cell Craplist, they f*cked up so bad this time we need to send a clear message: don't buy the game, people. If it fails hard they will have to give us what we want the next time.

I want Blacklist, that game looks awesome from what they have shown.
#8 Posted by ristactionjakso (5725 posts) -

Most disappointing was Soul Calibur 5 because they betrayed the single player and shafted them, and DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi beacuse of the horrid combat system. There was nothing wrong with Budokai 3 or Tenkaichi 3's combat. All they needed to do is add the character customizations and have customizable moves, but they effed up.

Rest of 2012- better not be Far Cry 3..........

Prediction- I'm gonna go with Crysis 3. Yep, it's gonna be total sh!t. I just finished #1 and I want to know what happened to Nomad and Psycho. And why didn't Prophet die from the nuke? He was still on the island when it went off. Sure the aliens eventually absorbed it, but there was still a nuclear explosion. And I still don't know why the aliens are totally different in Crysis 2 than they are in crysis 1. What happened to the chick that was still on the airplane with Nomad and Psycho? So many un answered questions that will probably never get answered.

#9 Posted by megadeth1117 (1830 posts) -

[QUOTE="GalvatronType_R"]

Black_Knight_00

F**k that, I'm getting it.

#10 Posted by SouL-Tak3R (4024 posts) -

Splinter Cell looks good. Sure they changed the genre up, but that doesn't mean it won't be a good fun game.

#11 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Most Disappointing: Mass Effect 3. It was ok I suppose but they really went all out making it into a gears clone this time, even more than the second game. Instead of having like a ten character team there was only like four party members, the game had the most boring and predictable story in any game ever probably. You have played or watched this story ten thousand times before. The writing was really bad. Then you have the day one DLC fiasco. Ten dollars for an obviously chopped out of the main game character and a half hour quest. Who buys this stuff? You are dumb for doing so. Then to top it all of the ending thing, instead of taking the series out with a bang it withered away with a whimper. Casey Hudson is the biggest piece of sh1t in gaming. Rest Of 2012: I have a bad feeling about Resident Evil 6. 2013: Bioshock Infinite rocks my socks?
#12 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Even though its not really a SC game, i'll probably enjoy Blacklist.

Sleeping Dogs would have been a disappointment if i got into the insane hype but i didn't.

Street Fighter X Tekken sucked donkey balls though.

Resi Evil 6 will be boss though.

#13 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

Most dissapointing so far: I'm torn between Mass Effect 3 and Diablo III. I'll go with ME3 because I really expected something unique at the end of the series.

#14 Posted by ZzNashoO (140 posts) -
Most dissapointing game this year: Diablo III. No predictions than the ones already said. MirkoS77
Agreed a million times. I do not know why I bought WoW with a diablo spin on it...
#15 Posted by ZzNashoO (140 posts) -

Splinter Cell looks good. Sure they changed the genre up, but that doesn't mean it won't be a good fun game.

SouL-Tak3R
That is what they said about diablo 3 and GRFS..... You DO NOT change what a series is. EVER. It is a very poor decision. You kill your dedicated fan base for a fan base with ADD that is attracted to the firework shows in all trailers nowadays. Once the next shooter or CoD comes out they will be all over its balls leaving a small amount still playing that shooter. Plus people are getting tired of an over done genre that should have died out at Modern Warfare 1.
#16 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13932 posts) -

Mass Effect 3: Ending a great trilogy on a half-hearted whimper
SC5: The core fighting is solid and the character creation is great, but the overall game feels like a half-hearted expansion of SC4.
SFxT: Pay $20 to complete your purchase by buying these ondisc characters!

I'm really nervous about several games like FC3, AC3, The Last of Us, and Bioshock Infinite being not as good as they could've been.

#17 Posted by megadeth1117 (1830 posts) -

[QUOTE="SouL-Tak3R"]

ZzNashoO

That is what they said about diablo 3 and GRFS..... You DO NOT change what a series is. EVER. It is a very poor decision. You kill your dedicated fan base for a fan base with ADD that is attracted to the firework shows in all trailers nowadays. Once the next shooter or CoD comes out they will be all over its balls leaving a small amount still playing that shooter. Plus people are getting tired of an over done genre that should have died out at Modern Warfare 1.

Both those games were financially succesful, so I highly doubt Blizzard or Ubisoft give a damn about their "dedicated fanbase".

#18 Posted by ZzNashoO (140 posts) -

Both those games were financially succesful, so I highly doubt Blizzard or Ubisoft give a damn about their "dedicated fanbase".

You are thinking about this all wrong... The dedicated fanbase still purchased their games for the most part on top of the other people they suckered in with their Transformer-esque trailers and game videos. The test will be the next title in the series. Although path 1.04 releasing tomorrow for Diablo 3 is making me feel a little bit better...
#19 Posted by Iridionprime (399 posts) -

Hands down biggest disappointment was ninja **** **** 3, I was really, really expecting to have an amazing game ready for me to kick ass in, but no. Ninja Gaiden 2 was amazing, but ng3 is just utter crap. I did hear, however, that the razor's edge stuff will eventually come to 360 and ps3, but idk. They took out dismemberments like **** and decided to humanize the ultimate killer ninja, Ryu Hayabusa. Oh and for me, I hated Diablo 3 and its insufferable lag, another big flaring disappointment.

#20 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21691 posts) -
Most disappointing year so far.
#21 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
Twisted Metal. I liked Black and Head On (loved 1 and 2) so I had hope for this one but it was terrible. It belongs in the garbage next to 3, 4, and Small Brawl. I hate the gritty tone in the newer games and love the bright colors and cartoon characters of 1, 2, and Head On. Black had the gritty nonsense but it got away with it because it played so much better than 3 or 4. But Twisted Metal PS3 has no redeeming qualities.
#22 Posted by jsmoke03 (12844 posts) -

2012 isnt disapointing to me...but the sadest thing im seeing is all the sales numbers of this year....no one wants to buy a game lol

#23 Posted by sukraj (22608 posts) -

2012 has been a decent year for me we had the the likes of max payne 3 and sleeping dogs just to name a few and i'm looking forward to doom 3 bfg and far cry 3 this year.

#24 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="SouL-Tak3R"]

ZzNashoO

Can i just intervene and say that none of the SC games even remotely resemble a first person shooter.

Being more action oriented and Call of Duty are two different things.

#25 Posted by Alter_Echo (10722 posts) -

Borderlands 2 will make 2012 awesome on it's own.

#26 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22119 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="GalvatronType_R"]

JangoWuzHere

I want Blacklist, that game looks awesome from what they have shown.

it doesnt look so bad and i might get it(though i want to get rainbow six patriots first)

#27 Posted by Lord_Nas3k (1492 posts) -

So far? Max Payne 3. Been waiting for that game for a long time, love the first two games, too. Third game didn't deliver for me. It was a mess of overused cutscenes, forgettable characters, a weak plot, and explosions. Had great music, though.

The rest of 2012? Halo 4, maybe. I don't know, to be honest. I mean, I don't want to be disappointed... but I'm not so sure.

2013's looking too far ahead. I'll wait on that.

#28 Posted by Easports48 (1761 posts) -

Borderlands 2 will make 2012 awesome on it's own.

Alter_Echo

+1

#29 Posted by jsmoke03 (12844 posts) -

[QUOTE="ZzNashoO"][QUOTE="SouL-Tak3R"]

Ilovegames1992

Can i just intervene and say that none of the SC games even remotely resemble a first person shooter.

lol totally agreed....sc is more like the bourne movies...
#30 Posted by ZzNashoO (140 posts) -

[QUOTE="ZzNashoO"][QUOTE="SouL-Tak3R"]

Ilovegames1992

I don't know. I just watch some of the videos and see CoD inspiration all over it. Action oriented is still a change from its roots. Which is a bad idea.
#31 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="ZzNashoO"] That is what they said about diablo 3 and GRFS..... You DO NOT change what a series is. EVER. It is a very poor decision. You kill your dedicated fan base for a fan base with ADD that is attracted to the firework shows in all trailers nowadays. Once the next shooter or CoD comes out they will be all over its balls leaving a small amount still playing that shooter. Plus people are getting tired of an over done genre that should have died out at Modern Warfare 1. ZzNashoO

I don't know. I just watch some of the videos and see CoD inspiration all over it. Action oriented is still a change from its roots. Which is a bad idea.

I totally agree 100%

But to say Call of Duty is what inspires games to be more action orientated seems wrong to me.

#32 Posted by Minishdriveby (9843 posts) -
Most Disappointing game that I played: Mass Effect 3, the story, not the ending, but the whole story was just underwhelming to me and didn't have as many of the amazing characters you could interact with in ME2; some made a few briefs cameos and were never heard from again. Most Disappointing yet to be released in 2012: Resident Evil 6, for the same reasons that you listed, horrible controls, camera, QTEs, etc. Most Disappointing 2013: Gear of Lost Planet, otherwise known as Dead Space 3.