Most badass / underrated games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Most badass / underrated games. (34 votes)

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 9%
Dragon's Dogma 18%
Alan Wake 18%
Deus Ex: Human Revolution 32%
Tomb Raider (2013) 35%
Beyond: Two Souls 9%
Enslaved 12%
Rage 9%
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria 3%
Chromehounds 9%
Eternal Sonata 6%
Tales of Vesperia 3%
Defense Grid 12%
State of Decay 3%
L.A. Noire 21%

Which ones do you think are the best?

• 
barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

Wow, that's quite a list of already overrated games you have there

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

If those are my only choices, I'd pick Tomb Raider.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

@barrybarryk: hey, barry. thanks for your opinion.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By buccomatic

@AvatarMan96: i think tomb raider, reckoning and deus ex:human revolution are my top picks, can't decide and love all three of them.

i really like all the others as well.

CamoBullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 CamoBullo
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

There really should be an "Other" option.

Asura's Wrath would be the most badass and underrated game I've ever played.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By buccomatic

@CamoBullo: hmm other option, yes. i wish i could edit this!

Revixe06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Revixe06
Member since 2008 • 1021 Posts

Out of those listed, I'd say that Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and State of Decay are my top three. Couldn't narrow it down to just one. All of them deserved way more praise than they got.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

Should contain Nier imo.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Dues EX, KoA, and RAGE.

Id like to mention Binary Domain and Singularity too. Both very underrated.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

Deus Ex, Enslaved, and TR were all a blast~

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By buccomatic

@ristactionjakso: yeah. i loved koa:r, dx: hr and rage as well. badass games! like binary domain but haven't tried singularity - will look into it, thanks for the reply!

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 buccomatic

@GamingTitan: do you think tomb raider could be game of the year? i thought it was a blast as well - one of my favorites this year by a mile.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ristactionjakso

@buccomatic said:

@ristactionjakso: yeah. i loved koa:r, dx: hr and rage as well. badass games! like binary domain but haven't tried singularity - will look into it, thanks for the reply!

If you like Bioshock, then you will like Singularity. I actually like it more than Bioshock. It's only about $8 used at Gamestop, and totally worth it.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Out of the choices, Tomb Raider, but I think everything up there has the score it deserves or is way overblown critically in the first place.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 buccomatic

@ristactionjakso: hey. i just watched the review on singularity. it looks awesome and i'm definitely going to buy it. i can't believe i never even heard of it, totally missed this one!

kvo said raven made this game and they made wolfenstein (2009) a game i really liked and which i should have put on this list as well.

sold!

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

You should check out some of Raven's other games too. They're one of the most under rated dev teams out there, well until they got swallowed up by the CoD machine anyway.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Voted for 3

Deus Ex: as It's my GOTG and is incredible in every single way imaginable.

Alan Wake: Hated it at first and It never really got the recognition it deserved. Very good and underrated horror/action game with some great ideas and story.

Dragon's Dogma: Capcom make some bad games and I was put off by this for a while but after putting a few hours in It's actually a very good and well thought out RPG with fantastic fighting mechanic. Oh and you can sell people moldy carrots.

Enslaved: Came out at a time when It had no chance of succeeding really but is a very underrated game. Fantastic voice acting and the story isn't bad either.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, OP are you hired by Square Enix or something? Because how can you say Tomb Raider was underrated? it sold close to 8mill copies which is pretty high since most titles doesn't even reach 5mill

But most underrated titles

LA Noire

Sleeping Dogs

The Movies

And a ton of other titles.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

Helloooo, did everybody already forget about RE6 or something? Best game in the history of m...NO! Bad Troll! Get out of here! Go on! Shoo shoo!

But yeah, RE6.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#20 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I think Battlefront 2 and Dragoball Z Budokai 3 were really underrated games. From the list you have i have to got with Tomb Raider, GOTY for me

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ristactionjakso

@buccomatic:

Just drop what your'e doing right now and get it. GO!

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#22 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Many of those games are probably overrated, but I'd say Alan Wake from that list.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

With the exception of a few, they all sold in the millions and have a big fanbase, i'd say that's the very opposite of 'underrated' .

All time, these are my picks of brilliant games that are criminally underrated:

• Sin & Punishment: Star Succesor (one of the greatest games i have ever played this generation)
  • Panzer Dragoon franchise
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil
  • Little King's Story
  • 3D Dot Heroes

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25930 Posts

Deus Ex. I'd replay it if I weren't so busy with other games. Alan Wake 2nd.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 buccomatic

@loafofgame said:

Helloooo, did everybody already forget about RE6 or something? Best game in the history of m...NO! Bad Troll! Get out of here! Go on! Shoo shoo!

But yeah, RE6.

yeah i', playing re6 right now and it sucks balls.

re 6 game: "find the key"

me "oh yeah its on that dead guy 3 steps away from me around the corner"

re 6 game "find the crank"

me " oh yeah it's 7 steps away under the twirling blades. time for shoot n scoot! oh boy!"

re 6 game "put the two statues on the pedestals to open the way"

me " omg seriously!? i would have never figured that one out! sigh..."

sad...

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I would hardly consider Tomb Raider underrated. But I'd have to go with Deus Ex Human Revolution, it's the only game on that list that I feel deserved more.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

Most of those game got good reviews, but if you mean underrated in popularity, then I would probably vote for.....well none of them. I've only played enslaved, deus ex, and alan wake from the list, and they all seem to have gotten the attention they deserved. They were all solid games, but I didn't feel they brought anything new or exciting to the table.

I would vote for nier if it was on the list.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 buccomatic

@Jacanuk: well see. i think tomb raider deserved at least a 9.5/10 across the board, but a lot of gaming websites gave it 8 and 8.5 (total BS on their part), so i included it in this list.

tomb raider IMO is game of the year 2013

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#29  Edited By BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

@barrybarryk said:

How are those games overrated?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I agree with Dragon Dogma & LA Noire. I bought DD, first hated it, then it grew on me. Played a few missions for LA Noire and it is honestly the best Rockstar game this gen. GTAV should have adapted more from LA Noire.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 buccomatic

@playmynutz: I really started enjoying la noire when i realized that if i didn't go on the side quests, that come over the radio while driving from crime scene to suspect interviews, that the games immersion was fantastic! i wish rockstar had somehow managed to include a lot of those side quest shootouts into the main quest line so that there was more action during the main story line. also wish they did a better job at letting you understand how phelps would react when you press truth doubt or lie. his unexpected reactions threw me off a lot.

still an awesome game though. loved it and looking forward to a second play through.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

@barrybarryk said:

Tomb Raider taking the 1st place.

I haven't played many underrated games but one that instantly comes to mind is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#33 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@Lucianu said:

With the exception of a few, they all sold in the millions and have a big fanbase, i'd say that's the very opposite of 'underrated' .

• Sin & Punishment: Star Succesor (one of the greatest games i have ever played this generation)
  • Little King's Story
  • 3D Dot Heroes

Really? I thought Sin & Punishment was too simple. No intensity at all, no challenge. Lot of spectacle, but little substance. Maybe I should have played further...

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

That's actually a pretty good list as far as underrated games go. Most of those games though have their group of fans that tout them as underrated. So for MOST underrated I'd say Eternal Sonata. It's a game that most gamers wouldn't give a chance but the story is really really good even if the gameplay gets kinda old in the middle of the game.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

Deus Ex is not even underrated doesnt it have like 8 and above from most big review sites. I remember when it came out and people on this forum were shocked they actually liked it. IMO very few of the games on this list are not underrated most of them got fairly good reviews, though some did not sell well but that has nothing to do with being underrated.

Also, LA Noire definitely is not underrated that game becomes so repetitive and I am surprised it did fairly well when it came to reviews. It has an 89 on metacritic that game is easily overrated.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@c_rakestraw said:
@Lucianu said:

• Little King's Story
  • 3D Dot Heroes

Really? I thought Sin & Punishment was too simple. No intensity at all, no challenge. Lot of spectacle, but little substance. Maybe I should have played further...

The game is all about the boss fights (like most Treasure games i can think off), they have different patterns depending on the difficulty, of which Easy mode is useless, unless you just wanna get used to the game.

Now if you've played on the Normal difficulty and that's were you're coming from, then i don't know what to say, really, except that you are a very good gamer. I thought that the challenge was just right, not to hard, but definitely not easy.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I cannot understand how anyone could think Tomb Raider is underrated.

The characters lack personality, Lara is not given enough moments of levity to make her likable. She is just sort of there, going through the motions. The dialogue can be cringeworthy especially with Lara' fellow survivors.

The bow while fun to use is hardly a replacement for takedowns. The player is rarely afforded the chance to actually remove all enemies in a room using it and it offers up no divergent gameplay like stealth takedowns. It's just another weapon to fire from a distance, it just doesn't make sound.

Most combat sections are of the most basic design, with 1-3 pieces of cover (often lined up in a row) that the player can hide behind and enemies pouring in from a single direction with limited A.I scripting. They either stand back in one spot or run directly at you, nothing in between. The spaces themselves allow for no creativity when in combat. Explosives tossed at Lara' feet do little damage giving the player no incentive to leave cover.

Earning XP completely ruins any sense of pacing or urgency. This would not be the case if your upgrades and unlocks would carry over into a new game but that is not the case. The upgrade system forces the player to purchase nearly everything from each tier before unlocking the next tier. This takes away from the feeling that I am upgrading Lara the way I want. I will also say that nearly 1/3 of the upgrades are XP based.

Animation can range from great to cartoonish to outright terrible. I appreciate animation more than most on these boards and this game feels inconsistent, one moment it has some of the best animation and the next its downright embarrassing.

The action setpieces feel like they were created with the COD developer mindset. More explosions = better. I feel this game would have been better served with a more methodical approach to action but instead resorts to constant explosions which just becomes numbing very quickly.

Visually the game is fantastic, not much to complain about here other than the fake shadows being cast over the environment. When looking at the ground you will see a shadow being cast over the environment. Trees moving with the wind, but when you look up the damn things are as stiff as a board. I hate when developers take shortcuts like this.

I could go on and on. The game is certainly solid, but more than an 8 or an 8.5, no. Oh and one of my biggest gripes with the game, they open with a CG cutscene, but this sequence could have been built in gameplay and given the player not only a great opening but would also serve as a tutorial to introduce certain gameplay elements. You could have even had the player interact with other characters on board before the storm and shipwreck as well. This really feels like a missed opportunity.

deadpeasant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deadpeasant
Member since 2012 • 139 Posts

Where is Red Dead Redepmtion and Just Cause 2?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Deus ex out of that list. But it is not so much underrated. It got good reviews.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#40 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

Deus ex out of that list. But it is not so much underrated. It got good reviews.

Well i think underrated also means not a lot of people bought it. There are a lot of good games that don't sell well. I would say they are underrated

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By buccomatic

@Tqricardinho said:

@barrybarryk said:

Tomb Raider taking the 1st place.

I haven't played many underrated games but one that instantly comes to mind is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

yeah. i agree. i should have put c: los on the list. i probably should have put vanquish and binary domain on the list as well.

really i should have just put an "other" option

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 buccomatic

@contracts420 said:

I cannot understand how anyone could think Tomb Raider is underrated.

The characters lack personality, Lara is not given enough moments of levity to make her likable. She is just sort of there, going through the motions. The dialogue can be cringeworthy especially with Lara' fellow survivors.

The bow while fun to use is hardly a replacement for takedowns. The player is rarely afforded the chance to actually remove all enemies in a room using it and it offers up no divergent gameplay like stealth takedowns. It's just another weapon to fire from a distance, it just doesn't make sound.

Most combat sections are of the most basic design, with 1-3 pieces of cover (often lined up in a row) that the player can hide behind and enemies pouring in from a single direction with limited A.I scripting. They either stand back in one spot or run directly at you, nothing in between. The spaces themselves allow for no creativity when in combat. Explosives tossed at Lara' feet do little damage giving the player no incentive to leave cover.

Earning XP completely ruins any sense of pacing or urgency. This would not be the case if your upgrades and unlocks would carry over into a new game but that is not the case. The upgrade system forces the player to purchase nearly everything from each tier before unlocking the next tier. This takes away from the feeling that I am upgrading Lara the way I want. I will also say that nearly 1/3 of the upgrades are XP based.

Animation can range from great to cartoonish to outright terrible. I appreciate animation more than most on these boards and this game feels inconsistent, one moment it has some of the best animation and the next its downright embarrassing.

The action setpieces feel like they were created with the COD developer mindset. More explosions = better. I feel this game would have been better served with a more methodical approach to action but instead resorts to constant explosions which just becomes numbing very quickly.

Visually the game is fantastic, not much to complain about here other than the fake shadows being cast over the environment. When looking at the ground you will see a shadow being cast over the environment. Trees moving with the wind, but when you look up the damn things are as stiff as a board. I hate when developers take shortcuts like this.

I could go on and on. The game is certainly solid, but more than an 8 or an 8.5, no. Oh and one of my biggest gripes with the game, they open with a CG cutscene, but this sequence could have been built in gameplay and given the player not only a great opening but would also serve as a tutorial to introduce certain gameplay elements. You could have even had the player interact with other characters on board before the storm and shipwreck as well. This really feels like a missed opportunity.

i put it on the list because i felt like tomb raider was game of the year 2013 and should have got 9's and 9.5's across the board. a lot of review sites gave it 8-8.5 type of scores. and i think that's crazy.