Molyneux: "Wii U is good, not great. Next gen must do much better than this

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/381273/molyneux-the-wii-u-is-good-not-great/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Peter Molyneux is not very enthusiastic about Nintendo's new console.

"I think the Wii U is good, but I don't feel it's great," he said."I find holding the device in my hand - looking up at the screen, and looking down at the device - slightly confusing as a consumer. It's good, but it's not great. And we really need these new pieces of hardware to be great in today's world, because the competition isn't just consoles anymore. The competition is everything, all the technology."

Nice words to say he thinks the system is simply not competitive enough to make the cut and the competition needs to up the ante considerably. Also interesting the fact he calls the dual screen setup confusing.

Like him or not, I think he has a point.

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
Considering how Fable progressed I think it's ironic he is complaining about things not being great :P But I guess he does have a point, I'm not really interested in the Wii U I hate having to look between screens constantly, plus I'm still enjoying my Wii anyway.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I also think the dual screen thing is dumb, distracting, and completely pointless and confusing. I like some things about the Wii U, but dual screen gaming is not one of them.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I'm not very enthusiastic about Peter Molyneux

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I also think the dual screen thing is dumb, distracting and completely pointless and confusing. I like some things about the Wii U, but dual screen gaming is not one of them.GodModeEnabled

Agreed. It feels like a step backwards.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

The whole idea of the tablet is stupid. Why would I want to look away from the screen to activate a killstreak in the heat of the battle in CoD when i can simply press down button on the dpad? I never use it. Not in SP, not in MP. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Now NintendoLands does a great job utilizing the controller. Some of the games are ingenious but tbh, I would rather be looking at the screen to enjoy the graphics. Being able to play CoD while sitting on my bed or infront of my pc or even in the bathroom is pretty cool, BUT and there is always a but with the Wii U, the resolution on the tablet is so low it makes it very tough to figure out who is who. It's very blurry and very muddy.

The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

Molyneux does have a point. But I expect that people will completely disregard it due to his résumé.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Black_Knight_00

The whole idea of the tablet is stupid. Why would I want to look away from the screen to activate a killstreak in the heat of the battle in CoD when i can simply press down button on the dpad? I never use it. Not in SP, not in MP. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Now NintendoLands does a great job utilizing the controller. Some of the games are ingenious but tbh, I would rather be looking at the screen to enjoy the graphics. Being able to play CoD while sitting on my bed or infront of my pc or even in the bathroom is pretty cool, BUT and there is always a but with the Wii U, the resolution on the tablet is so low it makes it very tough to figure out who is who. It's very blurry and very muddy.

S0lidSnake

I have to ask. Playing the Wii U on the toilet. Does it help your bowel movements?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Molyneux does have a point. But I expect that people will completely disregard it due to his résumé.

The__Kraken
You totally called it. I was just going to pop in here, leave a snide comment and leave. Ahem! Peter Molyneux espousing on what makes anything videogame-related "great" is like Tim Schaefer advising the attendees of the GDC how to make money on game software. That being said, I'll take his opinion more seriously when he stops talking out of his ass.
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

This guy only pops up now when its related to a comment he has made putting down something or boasting about a new game that WE ALL KNOW will not be very good. Its like you can see his name in the title of a thread and have already read the thread without needing to open it.

Honestly I would love for a nintedno rep to come out and say "Yeah we have checked out this guys games, and to be honest they are not great and a bit last gen. We are looking for fresh talent, not stagnent old men who confuse themselves with being great". Because honestly the devs who give games consoles **** are those who do not make great games.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I agree it's not a game-changer, and like it's been stated, I really wish the pad was higher res... However, it does make the Wii U feel fresh and unlike any other console gaming experience. This Jackass makes a game where you hug and dance with men in order to progress. He needs to shut the f#ck up.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts
I've spent a few days with my Wii U and I'll say it again-- I bought it for the Nintendo franchises. As with any Nintendo console I've owned it's all about the exclusives. I do agree on the dual screen, it is a bit gimmicky, and confusing. It's nothing breath taking, but I'll probably be doing majority of my gaming on the PS4 and X720.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Wow Molyneux...Congratulations.....you have just stated the obvious.

Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

S0lidSnake
Gimicks again from Nintendo. :\ sigh. the 3D on the 3DS is another example. it was neat idea, but NOBODY plays on 3d cuz its so bad and distracting(if u move the 3ds even a bit, the 3d will mess up and distract you and gets very annoying.)
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="Kocelot"] Gimicks again from Nintendo. :\ sigh. the 3D on the 3DS is another example. it was neat idea, but NOBODY plays on 3d cuz its so bad and distracting(if u move the 3ds even a bit, the 3d will mess up and distract you and gets very annoying.)

You'll remember the 2nd touch screen on the DS was considered a pointless gimmick until it became the best selling game system of all time. And the reason people like you need to stop making broad generalizations is because of people like me- I play with 3D on almost all the time. The only time I play with it off is when I'm playing late at night and I can't focus my eyes so well.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Setting aside the fact that I agree with the man entirely, those of you slandering him should consider his entire body of work before dismissing him outright; works that are substantial and undeniably influential to this medium as a whole.

A selective list of games he has worked on includes:

- Populous

- Syndicate

- Theme Park

- Dungeon Keeper

- Black and White

The worst thing I can say about a man like Molyneux is that his ambitions do not always come to fruition within the final products he delivers to the consumer. However, he is a visionary and those games listed (and others) prove his resume and subsequently his opinion should not be taken lightly.

And really, what is so fantastic about the Wii U? Currently it is an exercise in redundancy with one of the most lackluster launches in recent memory. The tablet is nothing more than an extrapolation of a current fad applied to the construct of a home console. That isn't innovation so much as the aping of a widespread consumer trend.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Kocelot"] Gimicks again from Nintendo. :\ sigh. the 3D on the 3DS is another example. it was neat idea, but NOBODY plays on 3d cuz its so bad and distracting(if u move the 3ds even a bit, the 3d will mess up and distract you and gets very annoying.)El_Zo1212o
You'll remember the 2nd touch screen on the DS was considered a pointless gimmick until it became the best selling game system of all time. And the reason people like you need to stop making broad generalizations is because of people like me- I play with 3D on almost all the time. The only time I play with it off is when I'm playing late at night and I can't focus my eyes so well.

Dual Screens are a legitimately useful concept however.

By contrast 3D is most certainly a gimmick because what it offers in terms of gaming is incredibly superficial. And I think you can reasonably apply that to 3D as a whole, film and gaming both.

And whether or not the Wii U tablet is a gimmick is incidental. Nintendo has made it the very crux of the system and in doing so they have once again released an incredibly gimped piece of hardware that will be completely irrelevant once the new PS and XB hit the market. Third party developers will largely ignore it once the bar is raised by true next generation technology so again we are stuck with archaic hardware with a unique interface.

Except that this interface isn't all that unique but rather emulates a widespread tech trend already in use.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Black_Knight_00

The worst thing I can say about a man like Molyneux is that his ambitions do not always come to fruition within the final products he delivers to the consumer. However, he is a visionary and those games listed (and others) prove his resume and subsequently his opinion should not be taken lightly.Grammaton-Cleric

I agree with that, with a small exception: he did lie about Milo, which is pretty much the only real thing I hold against the man. I may enjoy poking fun at him when he backpedals about Fable The Journey not being a railshooter or when he urges people to disregard Half-Life 3 in favor of Fable 3, but I respect him despite his well intentioned missteps, the only proper stain on his record being that microsoft-subsidizedlie.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
I really admire Peter myself as he has a tremendous amount of passion for his work and he has been involved with some excellent games. Fable 1 & 2 were both great, haven't played 3 yet. Anyway he makes some good points especially about everything being involved competitively with each other.
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Disagree about Molyneux. The man's best has passed him by. I loved him when he was running Bullfrog. Populous and Magic Carpet were more than games, they were experiences. I will always give him credit for that. But his visions and inspirations are antiquated, and his ability to turn said visions into entertaining software has dimished. I would agree that someone with (what I feel is a lack of) that inspiration is not in a position to bash the Wii U. He wouldn't know what to do with it.

So the Wii U is on par with today's consoles. So what? Today's consoles are capable of great game experiences. When someone uses next gen tech to create something truly amazing, then I may care. But what are we gonna have with PS4, an Uncharted game where Drake's every strand of hair will have it's own a.i.?!? Gran Turismo 6, where the trees are finally rendered in 3D?!

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600, so that may be a reason why I give a free pass to lesser powerful consoles. At this point, to me, almost all games look pretty damn good. I certainly appreciate graphic fidelity and I have a big screen LED 3D TV. So I definitely want to take advantage of it. But I think saying the Wii U is going to suck is harsh.

I think the Wii U will have a good run. Just like the last few gens, it'll be a good second console, and will have some solid titles. Nintendo's first party stuff will be great. Updates to Wii games will be great. And I'm sure we'll get a new IP or two.

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Setting aside the fact that I agree with the man entirely, those of you slandering him should consider his entire body of work before dismissing him outright; works that are substantial and undeniably influential to this medium as a whole.

- Populous

- Syndicate

- Theme Park

- Dungeon Keeper

- Black and White

The worst thing I can say about a man like Molyneux is that his ambitions do not always come to fruition within the final products he delivers to the consumer. However, he is a visionary and those games listed (and others) prove his resume and subsequently his opinion should not be taken lightly.

And really, what is so fantastic about the Wii U? Currently it is an exercise in redundancy with one of the most lackluster launches in recent memory. The tablet is nothing more than an extrapolation of a current fad applied to the construct of a home console. That isn't innovation so much as the aping of a widespread consumer trend.

Grammaton-Cleric

While I do see where you are coming from in regards to what he has under his belt, I still take what he says with a large grain of salt. Peter has stated on several occasions with his games(Fable and B&W I remember clearly) that they will change the way games are played. They didn't. In fact a lot of his games I consider standard fare, even at time of release. They were enjoyable, but did not elevate gaming in any way that I saw. Kinect? Yeah, I won't even go there. Some would put the blame on MS. Fair enough, but they don't shoulder it all. Also to be fair, my own stances are not just against Peter. Frankly I think a lot of folks in the game industry should keep their mouths shut and let their own work speak for themselves, but getting into that would be straying off topic.

As for what the Wii U offers? *shrug* I'm enjoying it, but I'm not blind either. It isn't the second coming of gaming. I think Nintendo just took what they did with the DS and ran with it. Could it have been something great? Sure, but I think it was attempted too soon. The controller itself gimps the system power. With more time as certain resources got cheaper I think they could have pushed it further. As it stands I actually think their previous system tripped them up. Nintendo did need to release a new console, but if the Wii wasn't as dated as it was they could have had time to flesh out the system further; more power under the hood, multi-touch screen, higher resolution screen. Having said that, I do think there is a lot of potential here(Far more than Wii) and it will be interesting to see how consumers will respond to it.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grammaton-Cleric

Disagree about Molyneux. The man's best has passed him by. I loved him when he was running Bullfrog. Populous and Magic Carpet were more than games, they were experiences. I will always give him credit for that. But his visions and inspirations are antiquated, and his ability to turn said visions into entertaining software has dimished. I would agree that someone with (what I feel is a lack of) that inspiration is not in a position to bash the Wii U. He wouldn't know what to do with it.

So the Wii U is on par with today's consoles. So what? Today's consoles are capable of great game experiences. When someone uses next gen tech to create something truly amazing, then I may care. But what are we gonna have with PS4, an Uncharted game where Drake's every strand of hair will have it's own a.i.?!? Gran Turismo 6, where the trees are finally rendered in 3D?!

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600, so that may be a reason why I give a free pass to lesser powerful consoles. At this point, to me, almost all games look pretty damn good. I certainly appreciate graphic fidelity and I have a big screen LED 3D TV. So I definitely want to take advantage of it. But I think saying the Wii U is going to suck is harsh.

I think the Wii U will have a good run. Just like the last few gens, it'll be a good second console, and will have some solid titles. Nintendo's first party stuff will be great. Updates to Wii games will be great. And I'm sure we'll get a new IP or two.

Grieverr

I agree with you to some extent in terms of current visual fidelity but I also think you and many others are letting Nintendo off the hook.

The Wii U didn't need to be an unmitigated powerhouse but had Nintendo not been so hell bent on foisting the (overpriced) tablet onto the consumer they could have released a console for a comparable sum but with far more under the hood.

The goal of achieving graphical parity with hardware from 2006 is asinine. It was asinine when Nintendo released the Wii (which never managed to even outperform the XB1) and it is ridiculous now.

And yes, I think current gen games on consoles look phenomenal but let's not kid ourselves here: the graphical leap that is coming, along with all the many other components that can be achieved with superior processing, will be significant. Take a gander at the demo for games like Watchdogs or Star Wars 1313 or consider the demo for Unreal Engine 4.

The Wii U won't be privy to any of that because, like its predecessor, it will be ten steps behind everything else.

Like you, I've been at this for a long time and I've owned just about every Nintendo console released but I'm done supporting mediocrity and vapid gimmicks, especially considering that Reggie and Nintendo spent the last two years claiming they wanted my core dollars back.

Personally, I don't think Nintendo even knows what people like me want anymore.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Grammaton-Cleric

While I do see where you are coming from in regards to what he has under his belt, I still take what he says with a large grain of salt. Peter has stated on several occasions with his games(Fable and B&W I remember clearly) that they will change the way games are played. They didn't. In fact a lot of his games I consider standard fare, even at time of release. They were enjoyable, but did not elevate gaming in any way that I saw. Kinect? Yeah, I won't even go there. Some would put the blame on MS. Fair enough, but they don't shoulder it all. Also to be fair, my own stances are not just against Peter. Frankly I think a lot of folks in the game industry should keep their mouths shut and let their own work speak for themselves, but getting into that would be straying off topic.

As for what the Wii U offers? *shrug* I'm enjoying it, but I'm not blind either. It isn't the second coming of gaming. I think Nintendo just took what they did with the DS and ran with it. Could it have been something great? Sure, but I think it was attempted too soon. The controller itself gimps the system power. With more time as certain resources got cheaper I think they could have pushed it further. As it stands I actually think their previous system tripped them up. Nintendo did need to release a new console, but if the Wii wasn't as dated as it was they could have had time to flesh out the system further; more power under the hood, multi-touch screen, higher resolution screen. Having said that, I do think there is a lot of potential here(Far more than Wii) and it will be interesting to see how consumers will respond to it.

Gemini_Red

I think the tablet allows for a broader functionality than the waggle nonsense ever did but I also think the tablet is ill-suited for many games and thus will require the purchase of the classic controller.

As to consumer response, it is already considerably softer than it was for the Wii and I actually predict that sales will slow significantly after the holidays, possibly forcing a steep price cut similar to what Nintendo did with the 3DS.

The Wii was a fad; an ultra-casual and unique system predicated on a unique interface that got even the most disinterested people playing games. The Wii U is very much the antithesis of that; it's a much more complex system yet the weak power ensures that the core gamer will once again regulate it to a second or even third tier system, assuming they purchase it at all.

Unless Sony and MS really botch up their respective consoles, I suspect Nintendo will be taking either second or third place in the next console war because this time around I don't see the tablet interface having the lingering casual charm that motion control enjoyed. As vapid and ultimately shallow as waggle was, it was incredibly unique. The tablet is not that unique (most of us use tablets and touch devices daily) which leaves only a very weak console up against what we assume will be two very powerful systems.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 El_Zo1212o
I don't think I've ever disagreed with you more than at this moment, Gram. First: the last game on your list was over a decade ago, so I still firmly believe that, much like his ideas on what makes games revolutionary, his ideas on what will or won't revolutionize gaming are outdated and fast approaching irrelevant. Second: "lackluster"? I haven't been exactly eagle-eyed about watching the sales figures, so in terms of sales, you may be right, but as far as the software, it paints a story so different from that of the Wii that I can't understand any question about the console's focus. Assassin's Creed, Batman: Arkham, Ninja Gaiden and ZombiU alone make the case abundantly clear that Wii U does not mean Wii 2. Third: the way I remember it, the DS ushered in the idea of a consumer-available touch screen device. Sure, Palm had an array of devices available for people to keep track of things like phone numbers, addresses and calendars, but they were extremely costly, business oriented, and used LCDs. It wasn't until after the DS hit that cellular telephones started using them, and then gave way to the rise of smartphones and tablets. So Nintendo isn't banking off of a current trend, Nintendo brought about that trend in the first place. Finally, how many gamers are out there that think like I do? New consoles haven't excited me since Dreamcast. PS2, Gamecube and Xbox just made me realize that the dog will keep on chasing it's tail, and while the dog gets prettier everytime, the cost to watch the show goes up exponentially. This gen was the worst yet- was it five or six hundred dollars for a PS3 at launch? If PS4 intends to make a hardware leap the size of the PS2-PS3 gap, what is that going to do to the price? I love my games, but I will never shell out that kinda dough for a new console. Instead, I'll probably start to shift my new game purchases from my 360 to my Wii U over the span of a few years until the prices on the nextbox and PS4 drop to a reasonable level.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Molyneaux is doing it all wrong. If you're going to call something out, at least have the sack to call it out right:

What, exactly, is next-gen about the Wii U? Anyone care to answer that simple question?

It's a new console, but I would not be willing to call it a next generation machine. For every positive, there's a negative. It's got a nice GPU, but a slow CPU. It's got plenty of RAM, but the RAM is extremely slow. The next generation is going to herald in some tech wizardry that is not going to be possible on this machine. That alone puts it at odds with calling it a "next-gen" experience. Could the entire experience of the Wii U have been realized with the exact same result if it were released as a tablet controller add-on for the 360, at least from a tech standpoint? It certainly seems so.

I agree that the system will be able to hold its own with Microsoft and Sony for at least a few years, but only because both of those companies were completely pig-headed and foolish about trying to milk this generation past a point where there was any fluid in the udder. Once those mistakes are negated and new machines are out from both companies, it will be the same thing as the Wii all over again -- a system predicated around a controller instead of horsepower.

I messed around with one at Target, and I think the controller is neat. Neat. Not "GodfvckIgottagetthisrightnow." I think the controller is comfy and it does some things by integrating a controller and a tablet into one thing that are nice, but it just hasn't made any kind of case as to why I'd rather look at a tiny, low-res screen when I've got a big ass, hi-res one right the fvck in front of me, and all bullshlt aside, that's really all it comes down to.

Sorry.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Black_Knight_00

the system will be able to hold its own with Microsoft and Sony for at least a few yearsShame-usBlackley

Even that is doubtful, considering (fresh news) that Bloomberg says the xbox 720 will hit shelves in exactly 12 months Link

Seems the Wii U has a single year to enjoy before officially becoming last-gen.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Grammaton-Cleric

I don't think I've ever disagreed with you more than at this moment, Gram. First: the last game on your list was over a decade ago, so I still firmly believe that, much like his ideas on what makes games revolutionary, his ideas on what will or won't revolutionize gaming are outdated and fast approaching irrelevant. Second: "lackluster"? I haven't been exactly eagle-eyed about watching the sales figures, so in terms of sales, you may be right, but as far as the software, it paints a story so different from that of the Wii that I can't understand any question about the console's focus. Assassin's Creed, Batman: Arkham, Ninja Gaiden and ZombiU alone make the case abundantly clear that Wii U does not mean Wii 2. Third: the way I remember it, the DS ushered in the idea of a consumer-available touch screen device. Sure, Palm had an array of devices available for people to keep track of things like phone numbers, addresses and calendars, but they were extremely costly, business oriented, and used LCDs. It wasn't until after the DS hit that cellular telephones started using them, and then gave way to the rise of smartphones and tablets. So Nintendo isn't banking off of a current trend, Nintendo brought about that trend in the first place. Finally, how many gamers are out there that think like I do? New consoles haven't excited me since Dreamcast. PS2, Gamecube and Xbox just made me realize that the dog will keep on chasing it's tail, and while the dog gets prettier everytime, the cost to watch the show goes up exponentially. This gen was the worst yet- was it five or six hundred dollars for a PS3 at launch? If PS4 intends to make a hardware leap the size of the PS2-PS3 gap, what is that going to do to the price? I love my games, but I will never shell out that kinda dough for a new console. Instead, I'll probably start to shift my new game purchases from my 360 to my Wii U over the span of a few years until the prices on the nextbox and PS4 drop to a reasonable level.El_Zo1212o

My point is that Molynuex has contributed some incredibly influential titles in his day and he's certainly not the boisterous hack some have suggested.

As to the Wii U launch, I'm genuinely surprised that you think inferior ports of games that have been on the shelves for months (and in some cases over a year) translates into the Wii U being a different type of Nintendo console. The original Wii received such ports as well, then was left in the dust of progress and was eventually abandoned by most third party developers.

I would actually assert that the Wii U is precisely the Wii 2: an underpowered console predicated on last generation technology and using a unique interface to obfuscate that glaring reality. The only reason the Wii is getting these types of multiplatform games is because this current generation has lingered; when it ends, so too does that multiplatform bounty.

As to the notion that the DS facilitated the current consumer trend of touch-enabled devices, that simply isn't true. Touch screen devices were around before the DS and regardless, the iPad, which is the true progenitor of the tablet craze, ushered an entirely new level of broad functionality which the Wii U is clearly trying to ape.

One of the most aggravating things I consistently run into are people who, erroneously, attribute innovation and credit to Nintendo when they don't deserve it. For example, people are under the impression that Nintendo was the first company to release analog controllers when in reality Atari did so more than a decade prior to the release of the N64. Similarly, there are touch screen patents that date back to the 1970s and frankly, I have never once read the assertion anywhere that the Nintendo DS is considered the forbearer of the tablet and Smartphone trend.

You know I have an abundance of respect for you so please don't take this the wrong way but on this particular issue, you are giving Nintendo far too much credit.

Regarding entry-level price points for the upcoming generation, bear in mind that the cost of the PS3 was initially high because Sony used their PS branding as a way to foist the Bluray format onto the consumer. The original launch PS3 also contained the PS2 chipset for full backward compatibility, and these two additional features made the cost of the system astronomical. By contrast the XB360 was considerably cheaper at launch because it didn't have either component to inflate the price.

And while we are on the subject of power and price, let's consider the Wii U: as it stand the system is, at best, equal to consoles from 2006 and yet is priced at 300-350 dollars (not to mention needing to purchase an external HD) because the tablet represents at least 50% of the system's cost.

Assuming Sony and MS don't do something stupid and force consumers to purchase an expensive tablet or controller that is tethered to the system, the PS4 and XB3 could facilitate a significant graphical leap and still come in around 350-400 dollars at launch.

To be perfectly honest, I'll be shocked if the PS4 and XB3 launch for over 400 dollars because the initial PS3 price tag nearly killed Sony this gen.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

The dual screen setup is completely useless for single player games (though fine if you don't want someone looking at your playcalling). One can't look at two screens of different sizes in different locations at once. The Dreamcast made that abundantly clear. But tablets are what casuals are flocking to, and casual's are Nintendo's main focus when designing hardware (they know no matter what they do or don't do with hardware, Mario fans aren't going anywhere) so Nintendo threw in a tablet.

So any casual that wants a fuzzy non-portable tablet with $60 minigame collections can now buy the Wii U :roll:. I work with two casual Wii owners (it was the first console both of these adults had bought and they only played the minigames) and neither knows the Wii U exists. Nintendo would have been brighter to not splash out on a cheap tablet and just invest the money in the console itself, which would have given it the opportunity to be interesting to core gamers indifferent to Mario. As it stands, I'm honestly curious about how far past 22,000,000 the Wii U will go.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts
Agreed. I wasn't a fan of the dual screens when they were first announced, and now that I tried them, I still find it a bit cumbersome.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]the system will be able to hold its own with Microsoft and Sony for at least a few yearsBlack_Knight_00

Even that is doubtful, considering (fresh news) that Bloomberg says the xbox 720 will hit shelves in exactly 12 months Link

Seems the Wii U has a single year to enjoy before officially becoming last-gen.

Let's hope that prediction comes true. Microsoft has been negligent by attempting to soak a dead market, and now they're beginning to pay the price for it. A great example is Far Cry 3, which is by most accounts a fantastic game on the PC, but is killed by horrible framerate swings and screen tear on the consoles. It has been apparent for some time that new hardware was long overdue, but now it is actually hindering developers from realizing their visions. Microsoft has been a terrible steward for the conventional gaming experience this generation, preferring to focus on playing dress up with virtual dolls and inferior control constructs instead of instead of focusing on producing new hardware and acquiring talented studios. Let's hope they pull their collective head out of the company's ass and wake the fvck up soon, because at this point, they're not all that much better than Nintendo, to be honest.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

Having a screen on the controller does add an interesting element. Using maps and managing inventory on the controller has the potential to add an element of realism to a game. It may be confusing to some, but that's closer to how you have to manage your gear out in the real world. I think this is really an issue that has no right or wrong answer. Some gamers will love it, others will hate it, and the rest will be somewhere in the middle.

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts
Someone give me a good reason why I should shell out $59.99 for Batman AE on the Wii U that happens to bear a choppy framerate and horrible shadowing when I can get the PS360/PC version for $14.99 which has none of those issues? Nintendo's dropping the ball big time.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 El_Zo1212o
Someone give me a good reason why I should shell out $59.99 for Batman AE on the Wii U that happens to bear a choppy framerate and horrible shadowing when I can get the PS360/PC version for $14.99 which has none of those issues? Nintendo's dropping the ball big time.MarkAndExecute
The Arkham City GotY(the comparable version) is still $40 retail.

My point is that Molynuex has contributed some incredibly influential titles in his day and he's certainly not the boisterous hack some have suggested.

As to the Wii U launch, I'm genuinely surprised that you think inferior ports of games that have been on the shelves for months (and in some cases over a year) translates into the Wii U being a different type of Nintendo console. The original Wii received such ports as well, then was left in the dust of progress and was eventually abandoned by most third party developers.

I would actually assert that the Wii U is precisely the Wii 2: an underpowered console predicated on last generation technology and using a unique interface to obfuscate that glaring reality. The only reason the Wii is getting these types of multiplatform games is because this current generation has lingered; when it ends, so too does that multiplatform bounty.

As to the notion that the DS facilitated the current consumer trend of touch-enabled devices, that simply isn't true. Touch screen devices were around before the DS and regardless, the iPad, which is the true progenitor of the tablet craze, ushered an entirely new level of broad functionality which the Wii U is clearly trying to ape.

One of the most aggravating things I consistently run into are people who, erroneously, attribute innovation and credit to Nintendo when they don't deserve it. For example, people are under the impression that Nintendo was the first company to release analog controllers when in reality Atari did so more than a decade prior to the release of the N64. Similarly, there are touch screen patents that date back to the 1970s and frankly, I have never once read the assertion anywhere that the Nintendo DS is considered the forbearer of the tablet and Smartphone trend.

You know I have an abundance of respect for you so please don't take this the wrong way but on this particular issue, you are giving Nintendo far too much credit.

Regarding entry-level price points for the upcoming generation, bear in mind that the cost of the PS3 was initially high because Sony used their PS branding as a way to foist the Bluray format onto the consumer. The original launch PS3 also contained the PS2 chipset for full backward compatibility, and these two additional features made the cost of the system astronomical. By contrast the XB360 was considerably cheaper at launch because it didn't have either component to inflate the price.

And while we are on the subject of power and price, let's consider the Wii U: as it stand the system is, at best, equal to consoles from 2006 and yet is priced at 300-350 dollars (not to mention needing to purchase an external HD) because the tablet represents at least 50% of the system's cost.

Assuming Sony and MS don't do something stupid and force consumers to purchase an expensive tablet or controller that is tethered to the system, the PS4 and XB3 could facilitate a significant graphical leap and still come in around 350-400 dollars at launch.

To be perfectly honest, I'll be shocked if the PS4 and XB3 launch for over 400 dollars because the initial PS3 price tag nearly killed Sony this gen.

Grammaton-Cleric
1. "...in his day" says it all. In my mind, he's about on the level of Tim Schaefer- Schaefer's had some hits and misses, but none of them have ever really taken off beyond 'cult classic' status. Molyneux was big ten and twenty years ago, but he hasn't achieved anything great since then. Frankly, the world has moved on, and he's been left behind, so it irks me spouts off (and is treated) like his opinion is more relevant than others'. 2. By all accounts, Ninja Gaiden 3 is a superior product than it's PS360 counterpart. I haven't read any reviews of AC3 or Batman that've drawn any real parallels between the PS360 versions and the Wii U versions(though I haven't checked Metacritic in about a week), so I don't know how inferior they are supposed to be. I call it a new kind of Nintendo console because the launch window is packed with real games like the ones I mentioned above, rather than the likes of Carnival Games and Nickelodeon licences. And when I think about the future(and the power) of the console, I look at the first year of the 360 and the PS3- ports like GUN and launch titles like Kameo. They all started out looking not much better than their predecessors by the end of their lifecycles, but look at what they've become with games like Red Dead and Arkham City. The heavy hitters at the end of the current generation are the launch titles of the next. It's a familiar story. I believe that the Wii U will have proper multiplats when the next generation rolls around(which I doubt very much will be next year). 3. I didn't deny that touch screen devices were around before the DS, I asserted that the DS is what brought them into the consumer spotlight. That the DS was to touchscreens as you claim the iPad was to tablets. Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but the DS was around long before the iPhone and Android smartphones were. You claim the Wii U controller is trying to ape the tablet craze. Would you still say so if the console were DS branded rather than Wii branded? I try to avoid using the word "innovation." Frankly I think it's pretentious in the extreme for someone(or a company) to use it to describe themselves or their work, and I think it's bandied about too frequently in relation to videogames and game makers for it to really mean anything anymore. I believe that there isn't anything new, just ideas reused, refined and combined until they look too different to be classified as the same. That being said, I do credit Nintendo for the current wide spread use of the analog stick. The Atari patent amounted to nothing. But when Nintendo slapped one on their new controller and then Sony ran with the idea and instituted the dual stick control scheme, the way we played videogames changed forever. If Nintendo hadn't slapped a touchscreen on their latest handheld, would we have touchscreens on our telephones today? Probably, but I doubt it would have happened so swiftly, and I doubt the advent of the appstore and thus the rise of casual gaming would be as huge as it is now. 4. You say it's equal-at-best to '06 hardware, but you completely disregard the disparity between the titles available in 2006 vs the Wii U launch titles. The launch lineup will always consist of the roughest-hewn software that will ever hit a system. I have a hard time believing MS and Sony will be able to deliver either a graphical or technological leap the gaming community will accept and still keep the cost under $400. Time will have to tell, I suppose, and if it ends up telling me I'm wrong, I won't worry about it too much until 2016 or '17 when I finally shell out for a new Playstation/Xbox. (Of course, there is one game that will convince me to buy one before then, and if it does come out, I'm screwed.)
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="MarkAndExecute"]Someone give me a good reason why I should shell out $59.99 for Batman AE on the Wii U that happens to bear a choppy framerate and horrible shadowing when I can get the PS360/PC version for $14.99 which has none of those issues? Nintendo's dropping the ball big time.El_Zo1212o

30, actually, and still has better shaders and frame rate.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] [QUOTE="MarkAndExecute"]Someone give me a good reason why I should shell out $59.99 for Batman AE on the Wii U that happens to bear a choppy framerate and horrible shadowing when I can get the PS360/PC version for $14.99 which has none of those issues? Nintendo's dropping the ball big time.Black_Knight_00

Where? Best Buy has it for 40.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] The Arkham City GotY(the comparable version) is still $40 retail.El_Zo1212o

Here It's actually gone up a couple bucks yesterday, should be on sale this monday.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

- Populous

- Syndicate

- Theme Park

- Dungeon Keeper

- Black and White

Grammaton-Cleric
Some... all of those games must be the closer side of 20 years old then 10. In a industry that is constantly moving, can you take someones ability of creating a game back then and comparing it to someone today. No, because the development is vastly different. Sure he was good by relative standards back then but his latest efforts including Fable games are horrible. You can not hold on to past achievements in gaming to say that somone is still great. The reason why people dislike him is because he has a big mouth and doesnt produce anything. How can anyone like someone who shouts their opinion on a subject matter that they are seemingly out of touch with.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

Black_Knight_00

Here It's actually gone up a couple bucks yesterday, should be on sale this monday.

Wow, I was more right than I though, Akham City GOTY is on sale at £14.99

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grammaton-Cleric

1. "...in his day" says it all. In my mind, he's about on the level of Tim Schaefer- Schaefer's had some hits and misses, but none of them have ever really taken off beyond 'cult classic' status. Molyneux was big ten and twenty years ago, but he hasn't achieved anything great since then. Frankly, the world has moved on, and he's been left behind, so it irks me spouts off (and is treated) like his opinion is more relevant than others'. 2. By all accounts, Ninja Gaiden 3 is a superior product than it's PS360 counterpart. I haven't read any reviews of AC3 or Batman that've drawn any real parallels between the PS360 versions and the Wii U versions(though I haven't checked Metacritic in about a week), so I don't know how inferior they are supposed to be. I call it a new kind of Nintendo console because the launch window is packed with real games like the ones I mentioned above, rather than the likes of Carnival Games and Nickelodeon licences. And when I think about the future(and the power) of the console, I look at the first year of the 360 and the PS3- ports like GUN and launch titles like Kameo. They all started out looking not much better than their predecessors by the end of their lifecycles, but look at what they've become with games like Red Dead and Arkham City. The heavy hitters at the end of the current generation are the launch titles of the next. It's a familiar story. I believe that the Wii U will have proper multiplats when the next generation rolls around(which I doubt very much will be next year). 3. I didn't deny that touch screen devices were around before the DS, I asserted that the DS is what brought them into the consumer spotlight. That the DS was to touchscreens as you claim the iPad was to tablets. Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but the DS was around long before the iPhone and Android smartphones were. You claim the Wii U controller is trying to ape the tablet craze. Would you still say so if the console were DS branded rather than Wii branded? I try to avoid using the word "innovation." Frankly I think it's pretentious in the extreme for someone(or a company) to use it to describe themselves or their work, and I think it's bandied about too frequently in relation to videogames and game makers for it to really mean anything anymore. I believe that there isn't anything new, just ideas reused, refined and combined until they look too different to be classified as the same. That being said, I do credit Nintendo for the current wide spread use of the analog stick. The Atari patent amounted to nothing. But when Nintendo slapped one on their new controller and then Sony ran with the idea and instituted the dual stick control scheme, the way we played videogames changed forever. If Nintendo hadn't slapped a touchscreen on their latest handheld, would we have touchscreens on our telephones today? Probably, but I doubt it would have happened so swiftly, and I doubt the advent of the appstore and thus the rise of casual gaming would be as huge as it is now. 4. You say it's equal-at-best to '06 hardware, but you completely disregard the disparity between the titles available in 2006 vs the Wii U launch titles. The launch lineup will always consist of the roughest-hewn software that will ever hit a system. I have a hard time believing MS and Sony will be able to deliver either a graphical or technological leap the gaming community will accept and still keep the cost under $400. Time will have to tell, I suppose, and if it ends up telling me I'm wrong, I won't worry about it too much until 2016 or '17 when I finally shell out for a new Playstation/Xbox. (Of course, there is one game that will convince me to buy one before then, and if it does come out, I'm screwed.)El_Zo1212o

I'm going to respond to your points using your numbers as the header for each rebuttal.

1. I think Molyneux developing games like Syndicate and Populous places him on a god-tier. I also think most of his contemporary games are pretty damn good, even if they fall short of his stated ambitions. I guess in one sense my reverence for men like him and Schaefer is rooted firmly in the past but I could also say the same of people's lingering respect for Nintendo given how far removed from their glory days they really are.

2. Ninja Gaiden 3 is a crap game, period. The Wii U version is marginally better because of some additional content but the game is actually, technically, inferior to the PS3/XB360 versions. Other games like Arkham City run far worse according to reports and that strikes me as pitiful, especially with new revelations about the Wii Us architecture being far weaker than initially thought coming to light.

And it doesn't matter that the XB360 and PS3 had weak-looking and technically drab ports and games in 2006 because that was the legitimate cusp of the new generation. The Wii U isn't starting a new hardware cycle but rather continuing one that will soon be abandoned by MS and Sony. The Wii U isn't running ports of GUN or Perfect Dark Zero, it is running graphically demanding top tier titles like Mass Effect 3, Arkham City, and ACIII. You are quite literally talking about a growth cycle that cannot happen because the full measure of graphical fidelity has already been mined by the current gen systems.

And make no mistake about it: MS and Sony are coming with next generation machines and most analysts believe well have them by next year.

3. I still don't see any evidence that the DS has had any direct influence on the devices you mention but regardless, the Wii U is predicated on tablet gaming and is a direct aping of the tablet fad. You also seem to ignore the glaring fact that Nintendo's console design is a direct rip-off of Apples sublime simplicity in terms of product aesthetics and branding. Nintendo is doing their best to mimic, in both content and design, the look and feel of Apple products and the tablet controller is by far their most transparent offering in this regard.

And truly, it was Sonys DUAL ANALOG that revolutionized the analog stick, not Nintendos horrifically limited N64 controller. Sony was working on their own analog pad at roughly the same time the N64 released and it happened to be a superior design that has become the industry standard so again, I really don't see an overt Nintendo influence save forcing Sony to play that particular hand a bit earlier than they might have otherwise.

And I cannot find a single article or source that attributes the DS as having any real influence on the touch screen phenomenon. The DS first launched in 2004 and by then Smartphones were already readily available and in wide use so regarding this matter I cannot see any clear evidence that Nintendo was anything more than a trend-hopper, as they've been so many times. To be fair it was a clever and broadly functional addition but I think its influence, however pronounced, was felt mostly within the game industry.

4. I have no idea what the final price point will be but given history it seems reasonable that both MS and Sony will try to keep the price at 400 dollars even if that means taking a loss on each console for the first year or two. Regardless, you must remember that HALF the Wii U cost comes directly from the controller, which is why they apparently went with so many underpowered technical decisions inside the actual box. If MS and Sony allot their full resources to architecture then both the XB3 and PS3 would be far more powerful by default, even at a similar price point.

And let me ask you something: Why would you be willing to shell out 350-400 dollars on something as clearly underpowered as the Wii U and yet be hesitant to spend 500 dollars on a console that is infinitely more powerful?

That's only a hundred dollar differential (less when you consider that the Wii U forces the consumer to purchase an external hard drive) and yet you act as if that price is a significant barrier. I could understand that rationale when the Wii was selling for 250 dollars versus the PS3 selling for between 500-600 dollars but even if the next XB or PS3 sold at 500 bucks, the difference between that price and the Wii U price is much smaller.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

Gamepad is not a gimmick. It can be used in gimmicky ways but in itself is not a gimmick. DS has already proved this.

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

- Populous

- Syndicate

- Theme Park

- Dungeon Keeper

- Black and White

o0squishy0o

Some... all of those games must be the closer side of 20 years old then 10. In a industry that is constantly moving, can you take someones ability of creating a game back then and comparing it to someone today. No, because the development is vastly different. Sure he was good by relative standards back then but his latest efforts including Fable games are horrible. You can not hold on to past achievements in gaming to say that somone is still great. The reason why people dislike him is because he has a big mouth and doesnt produce anything. How can anyone like someone who shouts their opinion on a subject matter that they are seemingly out of touch with.

That's fallacious reasoning. When you're discrediting someone's opinion based upon their track record, you arepoisoning the wells, as that is an attack on the person rather than the argument he's making. Also, its rather ironic that you would dismiss his ideas as archaic when the Wii U lacks multitouch capability as well as optical audio, bears a low-res screen, and basically uses the same Broadway design as the Wii.;)

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Grammaton-Cleric

Gamepad is not a gimmick. It can be used in gimmicky ways but in itself is not a gimmick. DS has already proved this.

Vickman178

That's precisely what it is.

Like motion control, it adds little if anything to the actual playing of games and its usage and implementation will be largely perfunctory.

You can't directly compare the DS because that was a portable system with two small screens that could be viewed together seamlessly; apples and oranges really.

The functionality of the pad is nebulous and much of it revolves around being able to play your game entirely on the controller like a handheld. Even assuming the pad does facilitate some broader functionality thus far unseen, Nintendo is using the pad to obfuscate the reality that they just released another grossly underpowered system predicated, once again, on the input device.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Grammaton-Cleric

o0squishy0o

So let's apply your philosophy to the issue at hand: Nintendo.

Nintendo was great but now they make underpowered consoles geared towards the casual masses and predicated on trendy gimmicks and technology while shamelessly recycling franchise entries. (NSMB as a launch game? Really?)

So I'll happily fling Mr. Molyneux aside if you and others will admit Nintendo's past accomplishments do not shield or absolve them from the rampant criticisms of mediocrity that have been rightfully levied at each and every one of their consoles post-SNES.

You don't think Molyneux is relevant anymore?

Fair enough but I can just as easily claim (and support) that same conclusion about Nintendo.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="o0squishy0o"]

Grammaton-Cleric

So let's apply your philosophy to the issue at hand: Nintendo.

Nintendo was great but now they make underpowered consoles geared towards the casual masses and predicated on trendy gimmicks and technology while shamelessly recycling franchise entries. (NSMB as a launch game? Really?)

So I'll happily fling Mr. Molyneux aside if you and others will admit Nintendo's past accomplishments do not shield or absolve them from the rampant criticisms of mediocrity that have been rightfully levied at each and every one of their consoles post-SNES.

You don't think Molyneux is relevant anymore?

Fair enough but I can just as easily claim (and support) that same conclusion about Nintendo.

Unlike Molyneux, Nintendo still comes out with great games. Thats the key difference.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 El_Zo1212o

Vickman178
My thoughts exactly.

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] 1. "...in his day" says it all. In my mind, he's about on the level of Tim Schaefer- Schaefer's had some hits and misses, but none of them have ever really taken off beyond 'cult classic' status. Molyneux was big ten and twenty years ago, but he hasn't achieved anything great since then. Frankly, the world has moved on, and he's been left behind, so it irks me spouts off (and is treated) like his opinion is more relevant than others'. 2. By all accounts, Ninja Gaiden 3 is a superior product than it's PS360 counterpart. I haven't read any reviews of AC3 or Batman that've drawn any real parallels between the PS360 versions and the Wii U versions(though I haven't checked Metacritic in about a week), so I don't know how inferior they are supposed to be. I call it a new kind of Nintendo console because the launch window is packed with real games like the ones I mentioned above, rather than the likes of Carnival Games and Nickelodeon licences. And when I think about the future(and the power) of the console, I look at the first year of the 360 and the PS3- ports like GUN and launch titles like Kameo. They all started out looking not much better than their predecessors by the end of their lifecycles, but look at what they've become with games like Red Dead and Arkham City. The heavy hitters at the end of the current generation are the launch titles of the next. It's a familiar story. I believe that the Wii U will have proper multiplats when the next generation rolls around(which I doubt very much will be next year). 3. I didn't deny that touch screen devices were around before the DS, I asserted that the DS is what brought them into the consumer spotlight. That the DS was to touchscreens as you claim the iPad was to tablets. Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but the DS was around long before the iPhone and Android smartphones were. You claim the Wii U controller is trying to ape the tablet craze. Would you still say so if the console were DS branded rather than Wii branded? I try to avoid using the word "innovation." Frankly I think it's pretentious in the extreme for someone(or a company) to use it to describe themselves or their work, and I think it's bandied about too frequently in relation to videogames and game makers for it to really mean anything anymore. I believe that there isn't anything new, just ideas reused, refined and combined until they look too different to be classified as the same. That being said, I do credit Nintendo for the current wide spread use of the analog stick. The Atari patent amounted to nothing. But when Nintendo slapped one on their new controller and then Sony ran with the idea and instituted the dual stick control scheme, the way we played videogames changed forever. If Nintendo hadn't slapped a touchscreen on their latest handheld, would we have touchscreens on our telephones today? Probably, but I doubt it would have happened so swiftly, and I doubt the advent of the appstore and thus the rise of casual gaming would be as huge as it is now. 4. You say it's equal-at-best to '06 hardware, but you completely disregard the disparity between the titles available in 2006 vs the Wii U launch titles. The launch lineup will always consist of the roughest-hewn software that will ever hit a system. I have a hard time believing MS and Sony will be able to deliver either a graphical or technological leap the gaming community will accept and still keep the cost under $400. Time will have to tell, I suppose, and if it ends up telling me I'm wrong, I won't worry about it too much until 2016 or '17 when I finally shell out for a new Playstation/Xbox. (Of course, there is one game that will convince me to buy one before then, and if it does come out, I'm screwed.)Grammaton-Cleric

I'm going to respond to your points using your numbers as the header for each rebuttal.

1. I think Molyneux developing games like Syndicate and Populous places him on a god-tier. I also think most of his contemporary games are pretty damn good, even if they fall short of his stated ambitions. I guess in one sense my reverence for men like him and Schaefer is rooted firmly in the past but I could also say the same of people's lingering respect for Nintendo given how far removed from their glory days they really are.

2. Ninja Gaiden 3 is a crap game, period. The Wii U version is marginally better because of some additional content but the game is actually, technically, inferior to the PS3/XB360 versions. Other games like Arkham City run far worse according to reports and that strikes me as pitiful, especially with new revelations about the Wii Us architecture being far weaker than initially thought coming to light.

And it doesn't matter that the XB360 and PS3 had weak-looking and technically drab ports and games in 2006 because that was the legitimate cusp of the new generation. The Wii U isn't starting a new hardware cycle but rather continuing one that will soon be abandoned by MS and Sony. The Wii U isn't running ports of GUN or Perfect Dark Zero, it is running graphically demanding top tier titles like Mass Effect 3, Arkham City, and ACIII. You are quite literally talking about a growth cycle that cannot happen because the full measure of graphical fidelity has already been mined by the current gen systems.

And make no mistake about it: MS and Sony are coming with next generation machines and most analysts believe well have them by next year.

3. I still don't see any evidence that the DS has had any direct influence on the devices you mention but regardless, the Wii U is predicated on tablet gaming and is a direct aping of the tablet fad. You also seem to ignore the glaring fact that Nintendo's console design is a direct rip-off of Apples sublime simplicity in terms of product aesthetics and branding. Nintendo is doing their best to mimic, in both content and design, the look and feel of Apple products and the tablet controller is by far their most transparent offering in this regard.

And truly, it was Sonys DUAL ANALOG that revolutionized the analog stick, not Nintendos horrifically limited N64 controller. Sony was working on their own analog pad at roughly the same time the N64 released and it happened to be a superior design that has become the industry standard so again, I really don't see an overt Nintendo influence save forcing Sony to play that particular hand a bit earlier than they might have otherwise.

And I cannot find a single article or source that attributes the DS as having any real influence on the touch screen phenomenon. The DS first launched in 2004 and by then Smartphones were already readily available and in wide use so regarding this matter I cannot see any clear evidence that Nintendo was anything more than a trend-hopper, as they've been so many times. To be fair it was a clever and broadly functional addition but I think its influence, however pronounced, was felt mostly within the game industry.

4. I have no idea what the final price point will be but given history it seems reasonable that both MS and Sony will try to keep the price at 400 dollars even if that means taking a loss on each console for the first year or two. Regardless, you must remember that HALF the Wii U cost comes directly from the controller, which is why they apparently went with so many underpowered technical decisions inside the actual box. If MS and Sony allot their full resources to architecture then both the XB3 and PS3 would be far more powerful by default, even at a similar price point.

And let me ask you something: Why would you be willing to shell out 350-400 dollars on something as clearly underpowered as the Wii U and yet be hesitant to spend 500 dollars on a console that is infinitely more powerful?

That's only a hundred dollar differential (less when you consider that the Wii U forces the consumer to purchase an external hard drive) and yet you act as if that price is a significant barrier. I could understand that rationale when the Wii was selling for 250 dollars versus the PS3 selling for between 500-600 dollars but even if the next XB or PS3 sold at 500 bucks, the difference between that price and the Wii U price is much smaller.

As usual in any kind of argument where both sides are set in their beliefs, an impasse is reached, so I'll address a few of your points and we can leave it at that. 1. You make a good point with your Molyneux/Nintendo comparison. It was apt, I think, during the Wii's time, and only time will tell if it holds true with the Wii U. 2. "The Wii U isn't running ports of GUN or Perfect Dark Zero..." That is exactly my point. It is running ports of games that came out this year and last. Knowing full well how games develop both graphically and mechanically throughout a console's lifespan, I don't understand how this isn't encouraging to gamers. The beginning of Wii U's development- the roughest, most unpolished software it will ever see- is Arkham City. I can't help but look from Perfect Dark Zero to Arkham City and then imagine in 7 years what we'll be looking at on Wii U. You say it can't be done because the current gen has been stretched as far as possible. I choose to hope otherwise(and even if I'm wrong, which is certainly possible, I'm okay with that because I'm not ready for this generation to end). 3. From the beginning, this assertion was based on my own observations rather than any research or news articles, but I'm interested in finding out what passed for a smartphone back in 2004. Hell, in 2008 I was working a steady job and living with few demands on my paycheck, and this was the smartest phone I could afford. The only way to credit Sony without crediting Nintendo would be to show the patent date on the original dual analog controller was before the patent date on the N64 controller. Showing that Sony was working on an analog control scheme before they got the idea from Nintendo's new controller. I can't find either one, so maybe someone knows a better way to search than Google. And finally on this point: you said the touchscreen on the DS was "a clever and broadly functional addition," so why are you so opposed to the touchscreen on the Gamepad? 4. You seem to be a pretty savvy fellow when the tech question is raised, so do you think the leap the nextbox/PS4 will make would be sufficient to create a game this technically demanding? If I was going to invest in the next gen early, I would have to see this kind of development- people willing to create more technically demanding titles, since I'm no longer impressed by graphically demanding titles. Graphics don't make a game interesting, and at this point, fun = an interesting experience over a pretty one. As far as the price question, I suffer from what I like to call ".99 syndrome." At a certain point, a number crosses a line in my head where I can't bring myself to part with that kind of money. For a handheld, that number was 250- which was handy because I really wanted a 3DS, but was also kind of a bummer because I also really wanted a Vita. Regardless of the fact it might only be 50 bucks difference, I just couldn't bring myself to spring for it. 400 is about the max I could bring myself to spend on a new console, and that only if I felt like I had to have it.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]...they make underpowered consoles geared towards the casual masses... ...NSMB as a launch game? Really?

That first claim is exactly why I keep hammering home titles like Assassin's Creed, Batman: Arkham and Ninja Gaiden. Was it true of the Wii? Absolutely. Is it true of the Wii U? Absolutely not. And when was the last time an original Super Mario game was a launch title on a Nintendo system? N64, I believe.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 S0lidSnake

For a handheld, that number was 250- which was handy because I really wanted a 3DS, but was also kind of a bummer because I also really wanted a Vita. Regardless of the fact it might only be 50 bucks difference, I just couldn't bring myself to spring for it. 400 is about the max I could bring myself to spend on a new console, and that only if I felt like I had to have it.El_Zo1212o

Vita was $250 when it came out. THe $300 version was the 3G one that no one cares for. The 3G adds no real value to the handhled since all the features are included in the $250 version. So you should've already gotten one if you really wanted it.

Also, the original Xbox 360 launched at $299. THere was an elite version for $400, but the basic launch price was just $300. And the only reason the PS3 launched at $500-$600 was due to the insanely high costs of the bluray drive at the time ($250 per console) plus the PS2 Emotion Engine ($60). Once the costs went down, and Sony took away the backwards compatibility you had the PS3 selling for as low as $400 within a year. Imagine if Sony had gone with the DVD drive like MS and done away with backwards functionality, again like MS, that's $310 in savings per console. They could've priced the console at $200 and $300 if they didnt have to worry about the bluray and the emotion engine. Of course, Im not saying they would've done that since they were losing $200 on each console sold, but you get the point.

Now that Sony hasnt invested billions of dollars in R&D and opened new factories just to develop the Cell, they can easily produced a decently powered $300-$400 console. Bluray costs are way down. There is no way they will have full backwards compatibility. The HDDs and Wifi and bluetooth adapters once so expensive back in 2006 are now dirt cheap. RAM costs are down as well. They are using off the shelf parts made by AMD which has a history of getting a lot of power from its CPUs and GPUs for less than half of what Intel and Nvidia provide. For instance, I bought a Nvidia GTX 570 for $350 a year ago. It has a processing power for 1.44 TeraFlops (about 3X as much as the Wii U GPU and around 7X as much as the PS360 GPUs. AMD released a GPU almost half that price soon after and it had a processing power of 1.8 TeraFlops. The CPU I bought from AMD was half the price of the intel one with the same performance.

If Sony and MS stay away from including stupid gimmicks like Kinect, tablet and Move with their consoles, they can easily release the basic version of the console for $300-350.

EDIT: I like to mention this* in every Wii U thread because there are some who seem to think next gen consoles will retail for $500-$600. This is simply not true, and I'd hate to see people get geniunely suprised when Sony and MS show $299 or $399 at the reveal. Because it shouldnt be surprising at all.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]

For a handheld, that number was 250- which was handy because I really wanted a 3DS, but was also kind of a bummer because I also really wanted a Vita. Regardless of the fact it might only be 50 bucks difference, I just couldn't bring myself to spring for it. 400 is about the max I could bring myself to spend on a new console, and that only if I felt like I had to have it.S0lidSnake

Vita was $250 when it came out. THe $300 version was the 3G one that no one cares for. The 3G adds no real value to the handhled since all the features are included in the $250 version. So you should've already gotten one if you really wanted it.

Also, the original Xbox 360 launched at $299. THere was an elite version for $400, but the basic launch price was just $300. And the only reason the PS3 launched at $500-$600 was due to the insanely high costs of the bluray drive at the time ($250 per console) plus the PS2 Emotion Engine ($60). Once the costs went down, and Sony took away the backwards compatibility you had the PS3 selling for as low as $400 within a year. Imagine if Sony had gone with the DVD drive like MS and done away with backwards functionality, again like MS, that's $310 in savings per console. They could've priced the console at $200 and $300 if they didnt have to worry about the bluray and the emotion engine. Of course, Im not saying they would've done that since they were losing $200 on each console sold, but you get the point.

Now that Sony hasnt invested billions of dollars in R&D and opened new factories just to develop the Cell, they can easily produced a decently powered $300-$400 console. Bluray costs are way down. There is no way they will have full backwards compatibility. The HDDs and Wifi and bluetooth adapters once so expensive back in 2006 are now dirt cheap. RAM costs are down as well. They are using off the shelf parts made by AMD which has a history of getting a lot of power from its CPUs and GPUs for less than half of what Intel and Nvidia provide. For instance, I bought a Nvidia GTX 570 for $350 a year ago. It has a processing power for 1.44 TeraFlops (about 3X as much as the Wii U GPU and around 7X as much as the PS360 GPUs. AMD released a GPU almost half that price soon after and it had a processing power of 1.8 TeraFlops. The CPU I bought from AMD was half the price of the intel one with the same performance.

If Sony and MS stay away from including stupid gimmicks like Kinect, tablet and Move with their consoles, they can easily release the basic version of the console for $300-350.

EDIT: I like to mention this* in every Wii U thread because there are some who seem to think next gen consoles will retail for $500-$600. This is simply not true, and I'd hate to see people get geniunely suprised when Sony and MS show $299 or $399 at the reveal. Because it shouldnt be surprising at all.

With the Vita, though, you have to count in the cost of the proprietary memory stock as well. I have 3 or 4 Memory Sticks already and I would have been glad to use any of them, but adding an extra $100 bucks for a decent amount of memory made it out of the question. 3DS on the other hand uses SD memory which is a breeze because it's the same as I use in my telephone, so I had more than a few of those lying around. As far as the rest of your post, it's all Greek to me. I don't understand any of it.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 S0lidSnake

With the Vita, though, you have to count in the cost of the proprietary memory stock as well. I have 3 or 4 Memory Sticks already and I would have been glad to use any of them, but adding an extra $100 bucks for a decent amount of memory made it out of the question. 3DS on the other hand uses SD memory which is a breeze because it's the same as I use in my telephone, so I had more than a few of those lying around. As far as the rest of your post, it's all Greek to me. I don't understand any of it.El_Zo1212o

The cheapest memory stick is $20. Most of the retailers bundled it for free at launch. Almost all the games are available at retail, the 32GB disc is only neccessary if you never want to buy games at retail.

The rest of my post was pointing out how the next gen consoles wont retail for an ungodly amount like you and others seem to believe. They will be $399 or below at launch.