Modern Games like Doom

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by J-Man2244 (74 posts) -

When it comes to FPS titles, I typically prefer the old school kind - Doom, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Heretic... you get the idea. I like being dropped off in a level with no clue where to go, having to search for keys, and eventually find my way out of there without getting my ass kicked.

Modern FPS titles just don't have that feeling of exploration anymore. I love games like Halo and Call of Duty, but they are too linear in my opinion. Can anyone think of a game with modern graphics but with the level design of mid-90's FPS titles? I've yet to encounter any... Thanks in advance for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

#2 Posted by Busy_Man123 (1430 posts) -

Hard Reset (PC)

Serious Sam 3 (PC)

Painkiller (Xbox and PC)

That's all I can really think off in today's modern old school fps games. It's best to stick to the older games if you're looking for something similiar to Doom or Duke 3D,

#3 Posted by BournToBeBound (1 posts) -
I'm easily one of the biggest DOOM fans in the world, and I'd highly recommend the PC FPS Painkiller and it's expansion, Battle out of Hell. I absolutely love the old school DOOM gameplay mixed with the awesome Havok physics.
#4 Posted by ionusX (25715 posts) -

Hard Reset (PC)

Serious Sam 3 (PC)

Painkiller (Xbox and PC)

That's all I can really think off in today's modern old school fps games. It's best to stick to the older games if you're looking for something similiar to Doom or Duke 3D,

Busy_Man123

dreamkiller

xotic

#5 Posted by Shika_Stoner (915 posts) -

Prey.

The first FEAR and expansions.

#6 Posted by _ultraviolet_ (0 posts) -

for me, it would have to be; 'Bodycount'. utterly amazing gunplay, plus the weapons have a lovely feel to them.

the only game since 'Black' i've wanted to [and have] 100%

#7 Posted by Empr1ze (2 posts) -

Serious Sam, definitely. Beautiful artwork and tons of enemies to kill while running around with literally 15 different types of weapons, including a sledgehammer.

#8 Posted by dakan45 (18614 posts) -
the makers of skulltag, doom mod, are makning new game, i dont remember the name, google it.
#9 Posted by DraugenCP (8471 posts) -

FEAR always reminded me of Doom quite a bit, simply because especially the first game was what Doom 3 should've been, but wasn't. Design-wise it isn't old-school, though.

If you want old-school shooting fests, your best bet is probably Serious Sam or Painkiller.