Moar PS1/PS2 Survival Horror!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hegerfors_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hegerfors_
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Anyone know of any Playstation Survival horror games i don't know of, preferably with many puzzles? Please DO NOT LIST any of these, which i already know of: Alone in the Dark Resident Evil Silent Hill Dino Crisis Clock Tower Parasite Eve Galerians Haunting Ground D The Suffering Fatal Frame Cold Fear Rule of Rose Haunting Ground ObScure Siren The Thing Area 51 Run Like Hell Manhunt Onimusha Devil May Cry Michigan
tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
Deep Fear!.....for sega saturn. it wasn't released in america but theres a european verison. its one of the better RE clone's i've played. also you forgot Extermination for ps2.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Anyone know of any Playstation Survival horror games i don't know of, preferably with many puzzles? Please DO NOT LIST any of these, which i already know of: Alone in the Dark Resident Evil Silent Hill Dino Crisis Clock Tower Parasite Eve Galerians Haunting Ground D The Suffering Fatal Frame Cold Fear Rule of Rose Haunting Ground ObScure Siren The Thing Area 51 Run Like Hell Manhunt Onimusha Devil May Cry MichiganHegerfors_

Alone in the Dark
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
Dino Crisis
Clock Tower
Parasite Eve
Galerians
Haunting Ground
D
The Suffering
Fatal Frame
Cold Fear
Rule of Rose
Haunting Ground
ObScure
Siren
The Thing
Area 51
Run Like Hell
Manhunt
Onimusha
Devil May Cry
Michigan

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I think Mortal Kombat: Special Forces qualifies for a horror game, but not for reasons that you would think.

jwn25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jwn25
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

Deep Fear!.....for sega saturn. it wasn't released in america but theres a european verison. its one of the better RE clone's i've played. also you forgot Extermination for ps2.tab134

Extermination is an awful game the only horror with this one is I paid full price for it at the time of release :cry:

Hegerfors_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hegerfors_
I did not "forget" about Extermination, i havn't heard of it 'til now. Is it any good?
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#7 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Only one I can think of right now is Chaos Break, you could check out some vids, see if it's your styIe.
Hegerfors_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hegerfors_
I'll check it out!
tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tab134

[QUOTE="tab134"]Deep Fear!.....for sega saturn. it wasn't released in america but theres a european verison. its one of the better RE clone's i've played. also you forgot Extermination for ps2.jwn25

Extermination is an awful game the only horror with this one is I paid full price for it at the time of release :cry:

I did not "forget" about Extermination, i havn't heard of it 'til now. Is it any good?Hegerfors_
It gets a bad rep, i personally enjoy it but i haven't been compelled to beat it (maybe 5hrs in or so, i'm honestly just stuck), It'd suck to have bought as a launch title because visually its not impressive, the voice acting is also pretty bad but nothing abnormal for the genre. You can get it from gamestop for two bucks. I'm desensitized from 'scares', i had a longbox re1 back in 96 when i was four years old, i sought out pretty much any notorious horror movie when i was ten. I can't say i've been legitimentally scared while playing a game since silent hill came out. HOWEVER, I do dig the atmosphere of Extermination. It's kind of like The Thing at a Shadow Moses type facilitiy. it's worth picking up if you see it around

jwn25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 jwn25
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

The graphics are awful and the animation on the char's is terrible the voice actting is some of the worst I've seen in a ps2 game. personally I'd avoid it and look elsewhere

Hegerfors_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hegerfors_
Thanks for the replies guys! And just so you know, i said "survival horror", not "horror". I like the the horror aspects too, but i'm a sucker for the gameplay and puzzle solving elements of typical survival horror games, so games that play like survival horror games but aren't exactly horror i.e. Onimusha will also do. Also, forget what i said about Playstation, any console will do, just don't mention any very famous horror games like "Amnesia" because i know all of those already. My favourite games of all time are Eternal Darkness: Sanitys requiem for the Gamecube because of it's orginality and gripping story and tight gameplay, and Silent Hill 2 because of the story so deep it made me cry. I would love to know if there are games similar to those.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Michigan is really good, even with the abysmal voice acting. You should also check Juggernaut on the PS1, a point & click game were you play as a guy that gets into his GF's mind to exorcise a demon.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

You're missing one, pretty sure it was PS2 but may have been a PS1 game, a budget title released near the end of the system's software cycle that dealt with being on a space station on Mars, but I can't remember the name. DANG!!! This gettin' old **** is for the birds! What the HELL was the name of that one? Got teppid reviews...

:lol:

AH! "Martian Gothic"!!!

Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

And there was a first-person perspective haunted space station game on the PS2. The view was out your helmet visor... "Echo Night: Beyond" was the name of that one... Kind of spooky. Don't know why I never got a copy of that one... In a lot of ways, "Indigo Prophecy" was sort of a creepy mystery/ survival horror game with an interesting premise and game controls...

... and the ultimate test of your love for the genre - "LIFELINE" (you guided an NPC via the headset mic. Miserable voice recognition, it almost deserves to be played to hear the riotously idiotic responses from the protagonist as you yell "SHOOT HEAD!!!" over and over, only to have the character walk around in a circle and say "I don't see that here" and other inane stuff!)

There, I knew you were missing a few!

:D

PS - Stating your love for "Eternal Darkness" shows you have excellent taste in games. Best horror game EVER.

;)

And since you opened up the system restriction, Xbox has "Call of C'Thulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" which is a very good use of Lovecraft mythos following "Shadow Over Innsmouth" and a few other stories... If you liked "Eternal Darkness" you'll probably dig that.

Hegerfors_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hegerfors_
THANKS!! Another person who played Eternal Darkness! Other favourite games, just for the record includes the Zelda series, God of War, Uncharted, Limbo, Ico/SOTC and Bioshock. Martian Gothic, never heard of it but i looked at some footage on Youtube and i think i'll like it. And i LOOOVE HP Lovecraft so i think i'll try out the Call of C'thulhu series! But only one problem, i don't have the original XboX :( XboX "1", Sega Saturn and all the Pong and Pre-pong consoles are pretty much the only consoles i don't have, are there games in the series avalible on other systems?
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonkeySpot

THANKS!! Another person who played Eternal Darkness! Other favourite games, just for the record includes the Zelda series, God of War, Uncharted, Limbo, Ico/SOTC and Bioshock. Martian Gothic, never heard of it but i looked at some footage on Youtube and i think i'll like it. And i LOOOVE HP Lovecraft so i think i'll try out the Call of C'thulhu series! But only one problem, i don't have the original XboX :( XboX "1", Sega Saturn and all the Pong and Pre-pong consoles are pretty much the only consoles i don't have, are there games in the series avalible on other systems?Hegerfors_

OG Xboxs don't cost too much, and "C'Thulhu" is worth hunting down the system for, it's the "Eternal Darkness" of Xbox. The hallucinations in "Eternal Darkness" are much better, that game is seriously unparalleled for a Lovecraftian experience, but the fear & madness "system" in "C'Thulhu" is pretty good at what it does, and they make you feel slightly inept with a firearm without it feeling cheap or broken on purpose in order to make you feel like you ought to feel as the protagonist in one of Lovecraft's stories. It's a real kick to walk around Innsmouth and see it (and all the major characters) brought to life. I highly reccomend it. There are other good Horror/ SciFi games on the system that you'll be able to hunt down for cheaps...

• "Doom 3"
  • "Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay"
  • "Painkiller"
  • Eder Scrolls: Morrowind"

Glad I could point out some really obscure titles... OH LAWDY... Did you have that on your list? "Obscure" (PS2)? That's another survival horror game about a bunch of kids on a college campus... Totally spaced it out... It has a good sequel on the PSP called "Obscure: The Aftermath"...

... Don't get old, there's nothing up here for ya.

Are you rockin' the DS and/or PSP?

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Extermination was pretty good from what I remember, I had a lot of fun with it. And it does have some puzzle solving, key fetching, etc. I think it was kind of similar to Resident Evil games.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn8ifdEEZjs here try this video with some early Extermination gameplay footage.
Hegerfors_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hegerfors_
[QUOTE="PetJel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn8ifdEEZjs here try this video with some early Extermination gameplay footage.

Looks descent enough.
Hegerfors_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hegerfors_
Yeah, i've played ObsCure, and i have DooM3 Collectors Edition but i can't play it cuz i have no Xbox.
tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tab134
[QUOTE="Hegerfors_"] i LOOOVE HP Lovecraft so i think i'll try out the Call of C'thulhu series! But only one problem, i don't have the original XboX :(

cthulhu, doom3, riddick,painkiller,and morrowind are on pc... I recomend Nightmare Creatures on ps1 and Manhunt for ps2. some other 'okay' ps1 survival horror games are martian gothic and overblood.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="Hegerfors_"] i LOOOVE HP Lovecraft so i think i'll try out the Call of C'thulhu series! But only one problem, i don't have the original XboX :(tab134
cthulhu, doom3, riddick,painkiller,and morrowind are on pc... I recomend Nightmare Creatures on ps1 and Manhunt for ps2. some other 'okay' ps1 survival horror games are martian gothic and overblood.

A lot of gamers prefer console gaming because of system requirements, controls, etc, and for-real, there are a lot of games on the xbox TC would enjoy. I don't mind gaming on a PC, but truth is, my PC (in front of e right now) wouldn't run any of those games, it's too old!

I would rather spend $50 on an xbox than $100 to get my PC up to spec. But that's me. And then, if I gett the OG xbox, I have all those xbox games to choose from with no worries over system requirement issues.

:)

"Manhunt" was trash. If you're going to go to that sort of hybrid action title I'd say "The Suffering" over "Manhunt" any day.

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tab134
first off manhunt rules,its not the most innovative/indepth game but i had a lot of fun with it. also tc's already mentioned the suffering..and if the tc has a computer made since like 2006, it should be able to run those.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KillerJuan77

first off manhunt rules,its not the most innovative/indepth game but i had a lot of fun with it. also tc's already mentioned the suffering..and if the tc has a computer made since like 2006, it should be able to run those.tab134

Manhunt 1 is amazing, sure it's grotesque and disturbing to the point where it becomes a fault but it's incredibly well polished, the VA is phenomenal (Brian Cox is absolutely terrifying) and it's very challenging.

The Suffering is also fantastic, plus you can play it on first or third person.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#24 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="tab134"]first off manhunt rules,its not the most innovative/indepth game but i had a lot of fun with it. also tc's already mentioned the suffering..and if the tc has a computer made since like 2006, it should be able to run those.KillerJuan77

Manhunt 1 is amazing, sure it's grotesque and disturbing to the point where it becomes a fault but it's incredibly well polished, the VA is phenomenal (Brian Cox is absolutely terrifying) and it's very challenging.

The Suffering is also fantastic, plus you can play it on first or third person.

Manhunt was just....odd, I played it a friend's house years ago , and its one of the few games I put down due to it being disturbing. I hear the 2nd was even more so too.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KillerJuan77

Manhunt was just....odd, I played it a friend's house years ago , and its one of the few games I put down due to it being disturbing. I hear the 2nd was even more so too.Darkman2007

The thing is that the original ends up being much more disturbing due to the fact that you're killing people to make snuff films, the 2nd. one tries way too hard to shock (There's a level in the game were you end up at a hardcore S&M club that also happens to be a torture chamber, you see people in gimp suits and you even nail a man to a chair just to rip his teeth. Now that's insane) and it falls flat on it's face due to the fact that you're just trying to recover your identity after you take part in a weird experiment (Why did I even have to go to an S&M club? It did nothing for the plot XD). I also had to hack my Wii to remove a horrible looking filter that plagues the game's most brutal scenes, I mean, it's already a hard M rated game, why did they even censor it?

Hegerfors_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hegerfors_
1. I like Manhunt! I'm a big Rockstar fan, most for the GTA series, especially Vice City and IV (notice i didn't say San Andreas) 2. When i think of PC gaming, i think of long, boring friday afternoons sitting in an uncomfortable chair and not enough light, trying to get stuff to work by downloading patches from unreliable websites, and i never end up being able to play the game!!
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

Deep Fear!.....for sega saturn. it wasn't released in america but theres a european verison. its one of the better RE clone's i've played. also you forgot Extermination for ps2.tab134

And it is one of the worst I've played. Almost no puzzles - and not a single good one -, but mostly locked doors that require you to visit certain rooms at the right time - non-obvious solutions lacking clues - in order to meet other characters and have them open them up for you. Most of the game is just running back and forth through empty locations hoping to stumble upon the place where the next event takes place. Derivative story (ironically still the best aspect of the game), stereotypical and dull characters, and horribly bad, glitchy and yet ultimately unchallenging combat - with little more than a handful of different enemies. What it had going for it were reasonably high production values, but all went into flashy video sequences and the soundtrack by the acclaimed composer Kenji Kawai.