Minecraft sells 33 million copies

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

As reported by GameSpot.

PC - 13 million.

Xbox 360 - 10 million.

Mobile - 10 million.

Jesus.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

That would be impressive if the game was full price, but it costs as much as most iOS games. I paid $2 for it on PC

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@UpInFlames said:

As reported by GameSpot.

PC - 13 million.

Xbox 360 - 10 million.

Mobile - 10 million.

Jesus.

Notch is having a good christmas :D

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Not a surprise. A few weeks ago after she got straight As I asked my youngest what game she wanted and she said 'Minecraft'. I asked her how she knew about it and she told me all her friends were playing it and she had played it on a friend's Ipad mini. Right now she has a good sized farm going on.

I think the popularity of play/create/share among kids (and adults) is really awesome. My daughters didn't participate due to prior obligations, but our local library recently ran a competition in which kids learned about game design and then make a game using Kodu (a game creation program on the X360 and PC), with the winner(s?) being given some sort of prize.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UpInFlames

@mordant221 said:

That would be impressive if the game was full price, but it costs as much as most iOS games. I paid $2 for it on PC

Um, it costs $20 on PC and 360. And it's an impressive number regardless of price.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UpInFlames

@CarnageHeart said:

Not a surprise. A few weeks ago after she got straight As I asked my youngest what game she wanted and she said 'Minecraft'. I asked her how she knew about it and she told me all her friends were playing it and she had played it on a friend's Ipad mini. Right now she has a good sized farm going on.

I think the popularity of play/create/share among kids (and adults) is really awesome. My daughters didn't participate due to prior obligations, but our local library recently ran a competition in which kids learned about game design and then make a game using Kodu (a game creation program on the X360 and PC), with the winner(s?) being given some sort of prize.

And it's not just play/share/create games either. Yesterday I read a fascinating article about Early Access games (unfinished alpha or beta games that can be purchased) and how a new generation of gamers is very interested in being part of development and the growing pains of building a game. It was an Eurogamer article about Maia.

"What I've realised now, especially considering the Steam forums and some of the responses I get, is that there's a very young audience that have grown up, or been introduced to games as alpha games, with things like Minecraft. They're really interested in getting involved in the development. There's a kid on the forums who sends me an email every day of concept art he's drawn in Paint! And he's having a great time. It is a different way to do game development."

Personally, I never bought an Early Access game and I don't intend to, but it's fascinating to observe just how the gaming landscape is changing thanks to Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight. More and more people are prepared to fund/purchase unfinished games and choose to be involved in the development process. I think it's incredibly exciting as we are seeing a new breed of not only gamers, but potential game developers.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

@UpInFlames said:

@mordant221 said:

Um, it costs $20 on PC and 360. And it's an impressive number regardless of price.

Now maybe, I paid $2 for it when it came out. Also, Angry Birds