Microsoft taking 621 dollars deposits for broken X1

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71271 posts) -
#2 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I understand the logic, but in practice it seems pragmatic on the best of days and extremely hostile on the worst.

If I were to play Devil's Advocate, I'd say it makes sense since they are sending out a console based solely on the person's word. Without it being monitored in some way, this policy could be abused by those with a penchant for what I'll charitably call "mischief". Still, it adds a dumptruck full of "screw you" on to the injured party.

#3 Edited by juradai (2783 posts) -

Aside from allegedly paying more for what the console originally costs, I'm not sure I see where the issue is regarding the process that a customer is required to go through for a replacement.

The issue I have with this article is that is being delivered from a slanted standpoint. Two weeks is the standard for having to get a replacement on any product that is being requested directly from a manufacturer. That's not unheard of.

And for those not wishing to wait then they simply need to front the cost of the console so that the manufacturer isn't sent a box of towels by a costumer looking to get a free console. Most manufacturers don't even give that as an option.

If you ask me, this article covers this process poorly citing only one user's anecdotal story which has no proof of source. That's not something I would give much credit to.

#4 Edited by Jacanuk (4339 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

So you have to pay 381 pounds or 621 dollars to send in your X1 that is broken and if there is something that goes wrong in the shipment and it doesn't come to its destination, you will be 621 dollars poorer. So that is more than the consoles costs. What do you think. Outrageous? Or is MS doing the right thing?

http://www.thenewsreports.com/microsoft-charging-users-to-return-faulty-xbox-one-consoles/2300/annier

No, if you read what it says he got 2 options

1 - put out the cash for the shipment and get a new X1 within 2 days and get the cost refunded when they recieve the broken X1

2 - Wait for the normal RMA procedure and send it back in the free shipping UPS box. and wait until its fixed and returned (Which is btw normal standard required by most consumerlaws)

So nothing unfair or bad there on Microsofts part, they need to secure themselves from scams. Infact i would say bloody brilliant on MS´s part and great CS.

#5 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71271 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

So you have to pay 381 pounds or 621 dollars to send in your X1 that is broken and if there is something that goes wrong in the shipment and it doesn't come to its destination, you will be 621 dollars poorer. So that is more than the consoles costs. What do you think. Outrageous? Or is MS doing the right thing?

http://www.thenewsreports.com/microsoft-charging-users-to-return-faulty-xbox-one-consoles/2300/annier

1 - put out the cash for the shipment and get a new X1 within 2 days and get the cost refunded when they recieve the broken X1

2 - Wait for the normal RMA procedure and send it back in the free shipping UPS box. and wait until its fixed and returned (Which is btw normal standard required by most consumerlaws)

So nothing unfair or bad there on Microsofts part, they need to secure themselves from scams. Infact i would say bloody brilliant on MS´s part and great CS.

But what happens if something goes wrong?

#6 Posted by Slannmage (5483 posts) -

My problem is I don't have that spare cash, I bought the Xbox One with my spare cash, my job pays peanuts.

#7 Edited by Jacanuk (4339 posts) -

@Slannmage said:

My problem is I don't have that spare cash, I bought the Xbox One with my spare cash, my job pays peanuts.

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

What do you mean goes wrong? with the shipment, well then you have proof from the DHL/UPS guy that you have sent it and they have insurance,

I do see that some people won't have that cash to spare, and they would have to go through the normal RMA procedure which is a pain and MS agreed could have done it replacement at once, but it is a newly released console and you can be 100% sure that a lot of people would try to scam a extra.

So i can understand MS here.

#8 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71271 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Slannmage said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

What do you mean goes wrong? with the shipment, well then you have proof from the DHL/UPS guy that you have sent it and they have insurance,

I do see that some people won't have that cash to spare, and they would have to go through the normal RMA procedure which is a pain and MS agreed could have done it replacement at once, but it is a newly released console and you can be 100% sure that a lot of people would try to scam a extra.

True, but i think it's stupid to ask for MORE than what the actual cost of the console and they even make a profit of the console

#9 Edited by wizdom (10066 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Slannmage said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

True, but i think it's stupid to ask for MORE than what the actual cost of the console and they even make a profit of the console

I agree, but if they refund you then it is okay. The problem like someone said up above is that most people do not have that type of money laying around. I personally think it should be done for free, because technically speaking it is not our fault that their system is not working.

#10 Posted by Jacanuk (4339 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Slannmage said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Ya, the cost is a bit much but it has to be "console+UPS" which comes out to your home and collects it. otherwise it does seem a bit steep even if you get it back.

#11 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

You don't pay more than the console costs.

In the UK £381 is less than the price of an Xbox One, the $621 is just a currency conversion the site done. No one was asked for a $621 deposit to replace their Xbox One immediately

#12 Posted by Jacanuk (4339 posts) -

You don't pay more than the console costs.

In the UK £381 is less than the price of an Xbox One, the $621 is just a currency conversion the site done. No one was asked for a $621 deposit to replace their Xbox One immediately

You are correct, its actually around 70£ under the retail price

#13 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71271 posts) -

@wizdom said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Slannmage said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I agree, but if they refund you then it is okay. The problem like someone said up above is that most people do not have that type of money laying around. I personally think it should be done for free, because technically speaking it is not our fault that their system is not working.

My 360 broke i got a new one right away, this is bs if you ask me. I would just return it and ask for my money back personally. But that's just me though. Only if it broke btw

#14 Posted by Jacanuk (4339 posts) -

@wizdom said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Slannmage said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

My 360 broke i got a new one right away, this is bs if you ask me. I would just return it and ask for my money back personally. But that's just me though. Only if it broke btw

When did your 360 break? because i bet it wasn't at launch back in the day.

The problem here is that yes MS could just replace the console but they know and we know that there are literally thousands out there who would try to scam MS, so what should they do? pretend people are honest and won't cheat or protect themselves and say hey we will send you a new one, but please put down a deposit until we have the broken one.

Also i bet that 6months down the line when the hype is died and most people who call in with a broken one is honest , they won't even ask anything and just send a ups guy out with a new one.

#15 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

I have no sympathy for anyone who bought an Xbone anyway. If you bought an Xbone and DIDN'T believe there was the slightest possibility you'd be sending that shit back after seeing what happened with the 360, then you're delusional anyway. I know that sounds mean, and it probably is, but Jesus, personal accountability has to come into the equation here. You're buying a product from a company who made a large percentage of defective product last generation. Hello?

Sucks that they're holding a $600 charge on the card, but I'd just return it to the retailer and get my money back before I let them do that. Screw that noise.

#16 Posted by firefox59 (4378 posts) -

I have no sympathy for anyone who bought an Xbone anyway. If you bought an Xbone and DIDN'T believe there was the slightest possibility you'd be sending that shit back after seeing what happened with the 360, then you're delusional anyway. I know that sounds mean, and it probably is, but Jesus, personal accountability has to come into the equation here. You're buying a product from a company who made a large percentage of defective product last generation. Hello?

Sucks that they're holding a $600 charge on the card, but I'd just return it to the retailer and get my money back before I let them do that. Screw that noise.

Yeah, you have no bias what-so-ever.

#17 Posted by dotWithShoes (4838 posts) -

So after the Xbox was pretty rock solid, the 360 was pretty shaky.. you had a 50/50 chance on how the Xbox One would be. Now, on the ps family. the PS was pretty shaky, the ps2 pretty shaky, the ps3 was a little solid.. what kind of chance do you think the ps4 has on being solid?

#18 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@Shame-usBlackley said:

It's common sense, bias has nothing to do with it. Seriously, do you honestly think anyone should be surprised if their Xbone takes a shit on them?

#19 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@Shame-usBlackley said:

So after the Xbox was pretty rock solid, the 360 was pretty shaky.. you had a 50/50 chance on how the Xbox One would be. Now, on the ps family. the PS was pretty shaky, the ps2 pretty shaky, the ps3 was a little solid.. what kind of chance do you think the ps4 has on being solid?

I'm not asking for sympathy if mine fails. Hardware reliability these days is dicey at best, I'm just saying Microsoft has a horrible track record with the 360, which should be taken into account when making a purchase. And it should certainly preclude any whinging if and when it does fail, because no one held a gun to anyone's head to buy one.

#20 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71271 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@wizdom said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Slannmage said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

When did your 360 break? because i bet it wasn't at launch back in the day.

The problem here is that yes MS could just replace the console but they know and we know that there are literally thousands out there who would try to scam MS, so what should they do? pretend people are honest and won't cheat or protect themselves and say hey we will send you a new one, but please put down a deposit until we have the broken one.

Also i bet that 6months down the line when the hype is died and most people who call in with a broken one is honest , they won't even ask anything and just send a ups guy out with a new one.

I hope so, and no it wasn't at launch it was two years ago. But i got a new one right away, so i hope they change their policy about this. I got a box where i was suppose to send the Xbox with and i got a new one after a day or two. So it does seem to worry me if you ask me

#21 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Ugh this is ridiculous. You already know exactly why there's a wait, there's limited stock, it's the exact same reason most people preordered. This is the exact same RMA procedure most companies use for every piece of electronics.

If you don't want to wait, fine, go back to the store and get your money back and wait until stores have some stock. You're the one that preordered so you could get one when the stock was so limited in the first place.

#22 Edited by Archangel3371 (15493 posts) -

This really doesn't seem like an issue to me. As others have said it's to prevent people from scamming a free Xbox One from Microsoft. As for reliabilty issues they paid a high price but took care of those with faulty 360's and it seems like they're doing the right thing by taking care of those with faulty Xbox One's right out of the gate however this console's failure rate doesn't seem like it'll be anywhere close to the 360's as I'm sure they learned a costly lesson from that one.

#23 Edited by firefox59 (4378 posts) -

@firefox59 said:

@Shame-usBlackley said:

It's common sense, bias has nothing to do with it. Seriously, do you honestly think anyone should be surprised if their Xbone takes a shit on them?

Yes. MS put so much effort into making sure what happened with the RROD wouldn't happen again. Have you seen the size of the fan in the Xbox One? It could gain altitude. They were so confident that it wouldn't overheat they increased the CPU power later on realizing that it could handle the higher heat output. This is obviously unsubstantiated but they also claimed the thing could run for 10 years and not overheat. All hardware launches have problems, but heat build up wasn't going to be one of them.

#24 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Yes. MS put so much effort into making sure what happened with the RROD wouldn't happen again. Have you seen the size of the fan in the Xbox One? It could gain altitude. They were so confident that it wouldn't overheat they increased the CPU power later on realizing that it could handle the higher heat output. This is obviously unsubstantiated but they also claimed the thing could run for 10 years and not overheat. All hardware launches have problems, but heat build up wasn't going to be one of them.

You hope. They said the original 360 would last 10 years too. There's no way of knowing if we'll see a repeat of RRoD or YLoD yet, none of the machines have been run long enough to know.

And neither RRoD or YLoD were 'launch problems' no one knew about them until far later.