Microsoft: "Still learning" on microtransactions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So it seems they haven't learned it all?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/26/microsoft-still-learning-with-xbox-one-microtransactions

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58461 Posts

By "still learning" they mean "seeing what we can get away with".

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Last_Ride

@uninspiredcup said:

that's what i am getting from the article

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

hehe ya spot on :)

This article screams "We want to see and learn how far we can go before people hate us enough to stop spending money on our system"

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 sirkibble2
Member since 2005 • 981 Posts

That's what businesses are supposed to do. Doesn't seem like it's working too well for them. It certainly hasn't excited me to go back Forza 5, that's for sure.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Last_Ride

@sirkibble2 said:

That's what businesses are supposed to do. Doesn't seem like it's working too well for them. It certainly hasn't excited me to go back Forza 5, that's for sure.

Forza 4 and Horizon had it and nobody had any complaints. So i don't know where this is coming from regarding that series. But the amount of games that have microtransactions is worrying

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Microtransactions don't even matter for SP games.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Last_Ride

@firefox59 said:

Microtransactions don't even matter for SP games.

The only thing that should make sense for SP are costumes

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9  Edited By YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

I think the question when it comes to microtransactions in regular games is "are they essential in this game I spent (or am thinking of spending) money on already?" If the answer is yes, the publisher can shove it a mile deep up their ass. If not, then I'll just play the game like a normal, fiscally responsible adult, and continue to believe that people who buy this shit deserve to have their money taken from them.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

The microtransactions in Forza are super awful, probably the worst I've ever seen. I heard Ryse had pretty bad ones too, but Ryse is a piece of shit, so it deserves them. Forza's actually a great series. :)

Now that I think about it, the microtransactions in Forza 4 were super shitty too. So if Microsoft's learning anything, it's learning how to be more scummy.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17633 Posts

**** off, Microsoft. You can take your MTs and Kinect and shove 'em up your ass. What a fall from the 360, which was once a decent system.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By YukoAsho

@Shame-usBlackley said:

The microtransactions in Forza are super awful, probably the worst I've ever seen. I heard Ryse had pretty bad ones too, but Ryse is a piece of shit, so it deserves them. Forza's actually a great series. :)

Now that I think about it, the microtransactions in Forza 4 were super shitty too. So if Microsoft's learning anything, it's learning how to be more scummy.

Well, Giant Bomb's QL said of Ryse that at least those could be easily ignored. How fair is earning stuff without microtransactions in Forza?

@MirkoS77 said:

**** off, Microsoft. You can take your MTs and Kinect and shove 'em up your ass. What a fall from the 360, which was once a decent system.

Yeah, I feel inclined to agree. The 360 was the superior console last gen, bar friggin' none, and the OG Xbox was pretty sweet too.

You know, I'm used to seeing console companies trip all over themselves on the third system, but I really, really thought MS was smart enough to avoid the trap.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

My friends playing Forza 5 already report that earning what you want is not the "boring grind" it's made out to be, which makes the MT's there only for the extremely lazy. (you get the new stuff by playing the game, why did you buy the game if you do not want to play it?) Ryse MT's are likewise easily ignored. It's not any worse than it was before.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YukoAsho

@Randolph said:

My friends playing Forza 5 already report that earning what you want is not the "boring grind" it's made out to be, which makes the MT's there only for the extremely lazy. (you get the new stuff by playing the game, why did you buy the game if you do not want to play it?) Ryse MT's are likewise easily ignored. It's not any worse than it was before.

See, if that's the case, then no harm. People who are that lazy/stupid deserve to be separated from their damned money.

Crimson Dragon, however, that one has almost been universally derided as a boring ass grind.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Last_Ride

@Randolph said:

i agree, it's just lazy. I guess there will be people that buy this anyways because they don't want to do it or just too lazy to do it

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

Still learning my ass. They know god damn well what they are doing.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Randolph said:

i agree, it's just lazy. I guess there will be people that buy this anyways because they don't want to do it or just too lazy to do it

Just, no. Let's take Neverwinter as an example. You can spend your free time grinding loot if you want, but if you don't have a lot of free time you might find yourself lagging behind your friends and you might find it hard to get into a group because you don't have 10 hours a day to play videogames and you're not geared enough. Most people in this situation just quit. So smarter thing is to allow for those players to buy some of the things they don't have time to unlock. They're not getting any advantage over other players, players get to play how they want, games can still have 10,000 unlockables without fear of alienating people who don't dedicate their life to the game, and you're not punished for having a job. It's win for everyone.

Not wanting to spend your free time to jump through arbitrary hoops to unlock digital merchandise is hardly lazy. It's quite sensible, actually.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#18  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@Ish_basic said:
@The_Last_Ride said:
@Randolph said:

Just, no. Let's take Neverwinter as an example. You can spend your free time grinding loot if you want, but if you don't have a lot of free time you might find yourself lagging behind your friends and you might find it hard to get into a group because you don't have 10 hours a day to play videogames and you're not geared enough. Most people in this situation just quit. So smarter thing is to allow for those players to buy some of the things they don't have time to unlock. They're not getting any advantage over other players, players get to play how they want, games can still have 10,000 unlockables without fear of alienating people who don't dedicate their life to the game, and you're not punished for having a job. It's win for everyone.

Not wanting to spend your free time to jump through arbitrary hoops to unlock digital merchandise is hardly lazy. It's quite sensible, actually.

This. Though we don't see the need for them, the service they provide is hardly nefarious as long as it doesn't create a "pay-to-win" model that tangibly impacts the game in a negative fashion. Just ignore them if you don't like them. It's that simple.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By YukoAsho

@Ish_basic said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Randolph said:

That would be because Neverwinter is a free-to-play IIRC. This should NOT be the case for a game you spend money on up-front.

Compare this to Dead Space 3, one of the first EA games to include micro-transactions. Resources were meted out in a very sensible manner, and the game never felt like a slog without the micro-transactions, at least for me.

It's two different sets of expectations, really. I shouldn't feel like I have to give up my life to not use micro-transactions in a game I've already given up money for.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The_Last_Ride

@Ish_basic said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Randolph said:

But not everyone does that and that is one of the few examples from a developer that do it right.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

But let's face it, if the game sucks to begin with, you aren't going to be throwing away money on microtransactions. Reviewers only score a game based on what's on the disk, and bad reviews=bad sales. I am more than willing to pay extra money for new content if it's a game that I really love.