Microsoft secretly gave the NSA, CIA, FBI access to Skype, Outlook, Skydrive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

They say they were legally obligated to do so, but it seems they went above and beyond the call of duty and enabled VIDEO recording of Skype calls, decrypted encrypted Outlook chat logs and gave easier access to Skydrive. I suppose Obama and the government is to be blamed for this 1984 styIe government spying, but it's sickening to see Microsoft tout 'Your Privacy is our Priority' and then feed all our private calls to the government. I knew someone was watching my skype calls, after all these are the same f*ckers who spied on Military couples having Cyber and passed those videos around in the office. What a bunch of dicks we have put in power.

Microsoft is now going to put a camera in every living room. 1984 is here and MS is the piece of shit company enabling it. It's f*cking sickening.

The documents show that:

• Microsoft helped the NSA to circumvent its encryption to address concerns that the agency would be unable to intercept web chats on the new Outlook.com portal;
  • The agency already had pre-encryption stage access to email on Outlook.com, including Hotmail;
  • The company worked with the FBI this year to allow the NSA easier access via Prism to its cloud storage service SkyDrive, which now has more than 250 million users worldwide;
  • Microsoft also worked with the FBI's Data Intercept Unit to "understand" potential issues with a feature in Outlook.com that allows users to create email aliases;
  • Skype, which was bought by Microsoft in October 2011, worked with intelligence agencies last year to allow Prism to collect video of conversations as well as audio;
  • Material collected through Prism is routinely shared with the FBI and CIA, with one NSA document describing the program as a "team sport".

Full article here:
http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
So do we have any other more reliable sources to go with this rumor?
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 S0lidSnake

So do we have any other more reliable sources to go with this rumor?Jakandsigz

This is not a rumor. Guardian is as reliable as you can get.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jakandsigz

[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"]So do we have any other more reliable sources to go with this rumor?S0lidSnake

And not one other place has this at all?
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
So don't use skype or outlook (who the f*ck uses outlook anyway) and there is no problem? Is that the only issue here? There are lots of alternatives to both products, which are optional things you use....1984 lol jesus.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 S0lidSnake

So don't use skype or outlook (who the f*ck uses outlook anyway) and there is no problem? Is that the only issue here? There are lots of alternatives to both products, which are optional things you use....1984 lol jesus.GodModeEnabled

ummm... Their privacy policy explicitly stated they do not share our info with anyone, let alone their video recording of the call. Had I known that I wouldn't have used it, but the fact of the matter is I did. So did hundreds of millions of people. Which part of 'secretly gave access' did you not understand?

Any other agency and this would be grounds for a cIass action lawsuit.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"]So do we have any other more reliable sources to go with this rumor?Jakandsigz

I dont know. Maybe this is a breaking news. Maybe they have the first scoop. maybe there are a million other stories out there. If you arent satisfied then do your own research and then come back with a source that denies this. BOTH MICROSOFT AND NSA released a press statement in regards to these accusations which is included at the end of the article. Perhaps you should read the article before questioning its merits?

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jakandsigz

[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

I dont know. Maybe this is a breaking news. Maybe they have the first scoop. maybe there are a million other stories out there. If you arent satisfied then do your own research and then come back with a source that denies this. BOTH MICROSOFT AND NSA released a press statement in regards to these accusations which is included at the end of the article. Perhaps you should read the article before questioning its merits?

I think you should read because I never denied it or questioned it, I asked if this was the only source. It's a yes or no question.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"] And not one other place has this at all?Jakandsigz

I think you should read because I never denied it or questioned it, I asked if this was the only source. It's a yes or no question.

No you started off the thread by questioning the source of this article by calling it a rumor. You then asked for another source. How else is one supposed to take this? Do you go around forums asking stupid benign questions like these? Stuff you can google yourself?

muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

I've never seem the Guardians US site only it's UK site before.

Why is the text so large on the American site?

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jakandsigz

[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

No you started off the thread by questioning the source of this article by calling it a rumor. You then asked for another source. How else is one supposed to take this? Do you go around forums asking stupid benign questions like these? Stuff you can google yourself?

So you agreed that I asked if there was another source? Why are you being stupid and jumpy? I considered it a Rumor because it's not confirmed. Not sure why you think otherwise.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I think this and other recent new reports revealing Microsoft giving user information to the United States government is the metaphorical tip of the iceberg of what is a grand surveillance program.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I would be deeply surprised if most of the industry hadn't collaborated with the government post 9/11.

The internet is a public space and there are records somewhere of everything you say and do. Our only real protection from the long noses of government and the big corporations that run the internet is the fact that so many people are doing so much stuff all of the time :|. Yes, its flimsy protection, but its all we've got and no matter what noises Congress or the current or future presidents make, all we're ever going to have.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I would be deeply surprised if most of the industry hadn't collaborated with the government post 9/11.

The internet is a public space and there are records somewhere of everything you say and do. Our only real protection from the long noses of government and the big corporations that run the internet is the fact that so many people are doing so much stuff all of the time :|. Yes, its flimsy protection, but its all we've got and no matter what noises Congress or the current or future presidents make, all we're ever going to have.

CarnageHeart

Sums up my thoughts. Consiodering how the government has handled "security" in modern times, this news is hardly surprising.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts
[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"]So do we have any other more reliable sources to go with this rumor?Jakandsigz

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2044164/report-microsoft-helped-nsa-circumvent-its-own-encryption.html http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/11/nsa-snowden-espionage-china-microsoft/2510623/ WHOOPS
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

They say they were legally obligated to do so, but it seems they went above and beyond the call of duty and enabled VIDEO recording of Skype calls, decrypted encrypted Outlook chat logs and gave easier access to Skydrive. I suppose Obama and the government is to be blamed for this 1984 styIe government spying, but it's sickening to see Microsoft tout 'Your Privacy is our Priority' and then feed all our private calls to the government. I knew someone was watching my skype calls, after all these are the same f*ckers who spied on Military couples having Cyber and passed those videos around in the office. What a bunch of dicks we have put in power.

S0lidSnake

It's been going on since after 9/11. It's basically Stellar Wind 2.0, the original having been started by the Bush administration - specifically Cheney's design. It's not really surprising when you consider the politicians we elect are so technologically ignorant, they brag about not knowing how to use an i-pod. The result is technology's ability to connect us outpacing government's ability to extend constitutional protections to those transactions....and then government taking advantage of the constitutional loopholes their inaction creates. The common public is also fairly ignorant, not even knowing to press the issue with their congressmen.

I doubt anything MS did here was exceptional (probably one of many companies forced to comply). And I doubt anything the government did was illegal. I would even guess the justice department signed off on this.

Here's an article on the subject. Stellar Wind, Prism, etc:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/us-surveillance-architecture-includes-collection-of-revealing-internet-phone-metadata/2013/06/15/e9bf004a-d511-11e2-b05f-3ea3f0e7bb5a_story.html

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Wasn't this what PRISM was all about anyway? As someone who follows these issues quite closely, none of this comes as a surprise. In fact the only thing that is surprising is that people are acting like they didn't know about this until now.Â