Microsoft patents device to stop playback if too many people are on the couch

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-patents-tech-that-watches-viewers-6399616

This is not a joke: I checked and April 1st is still months away. Microsoft has patented a device that counts the people sitting in front of the TV and negates access to media content if too many people are watching until you pay more money.

Basically, in the (near?) future, shows and movies you rent on XBOX, Netflix or what have you, may come with a user limit, past which playback will stop and you will need to pay extra money for it to resume. Simply put, the more people you invite to sit in front of the TV, the more you're going to pay.

The way I see it, this is an orwellian nightmare: imagine if you decide to rent a movie and unexpected guests comes visiting and you welcome them on the couch to share the movie, at which point playback stops until you pay extra for each new viewer.

Also, this sounds a lot like a rib of Kinect technology and we all know how well that crap works, right? Imagine the stupid device mistaking a table lamp for a head or a coat rack for a person and negating playback out of the blue. And let's not even go on the potential privacy violation of having a camera constantly watching you whenever you want to watch something.

Is there no bottom to the Microsoft barrel? And then they complain about piracy.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

It's not going to happen. People are not going to pay more money for something like this.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Not going to happen. It would be too easy to trick. Just disconnect the Kinect, or if that doesn't work aim it towards a part of the room that only has one or two people in it. Seriously companies patent stuff they never use all the time. I know MS is greedy, but this kind of stuff will never fly with consumers.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

If that REALLY would come true, let's just all have sex in front of it all the time, just to make the people who'd have to survey it reeeeaaaallyyyyyy sick all the time.

REVENGE in style :cool:

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts
Hmmm don't think it will be used and i'm sure there was 3 posts about this yesterday!
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I doubt it would come to fruition, but when I read this article this morning, the calisthenics scene in 1984 immediately popped into my head.
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
Nobody is going to force you to use kinect. Maybe it's a pricing strategy: pay less if you want to watch it alone, but you'll have to have kinect on as "proof"; or just pay the regular price, sans kinect, and let as many people as you want watch it.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I doubt it would come to fruition, but when I read this article this morning, the calisthenics scene in 1984 immediately popped into my head.Canvas_Of_Flesh

What calistentics scene in 1984?

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

That's kind of funny really. I'd make it so the first half hour of a movie would play just fine, and then a message will come up on the screen demanding more money.

People will grumble and then pay it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Now watch Kinect 2 be a standard part of the Xbox 720.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Black_Knight_00
A precisation for the people who didn't get it: this is NOT a kinect thing. I simply presume it will use kinect technology, but it would be a separate thing altogether.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

The thing is a terrible idea and a huge violation of privacy, I agree, but I can't imagine there not being a consumer outrage over this if it was implemented. So what, now that the whole family wants to watch a movie, parents are going to be charged more? This is simply ridiculous.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#13 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

There is no way that Xbox owners will let this slide. Ever. If this is true then Microsoft is digging its own grave.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Fine with me, I'll just stick a mug shot of me in front of the camera device while my family of 11 watch a movie.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts
Not going to happen.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts

[QUOTE="Canvas_Of_Flesh"]I doubt it would come to fruition, but when I read this article this morning, the calisthenics scene in 1984 immediately popped into my head.Metamania

What calistentics scene in 1984?

It's shortly after Winston Smith is introduced. He's awoken by his telescreen for morning exercises. Apparently he doesn't do them well enough and the woman televising the exercises reprimands him for it. I'm speaking of the novel, I'm not sure if the film has that scene or not.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#17 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Unless it is mandatory to have the console connected to the internet at all times, this doesn't even make sense.

tribalTox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 tribalTox
Member since 2006 • 803 Posts

I think M$ is just doing the big business thing and patenting something useless, thats never going be used (god I'm hoping it won't be used), so its competitors can't use a similar idea.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#19 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
It wouldn't happen.. no one would buy kinect or use it. You would just use netflix on your 360 like normal without any limits.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I would say that people won't stand for it, but if they can stand the outrageous prices it takes to actually rent a movie from the store, yes, plenty of people would pay for it.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

This would be pretty fun if it were to happen. Imagine the riots.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

That is pretty stupid. Always trying to control.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#23 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

People patent all sorts of weird gizmos that never see the light of day. Sony patented a universal game controller a couple years ago and there hasn't been any progress on that front. So until there's some signs of this thing actually existing, I won't bother worrying about it.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Oh Hell no.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I can see visiting people being fun with this.. "Hey is that the new twilight movie? Think i'll join you guys..." GET OUTTA HERE WHAT U THINK IM MADE OF MONAH?!?!3k4,jm32kl23 Also Twilight is dumb.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Buying video on a video GAME console is a waste anyway. Never using Kinect anyway
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Black_Knight_00

Also Twilight is dumb.GodModeEnabled
Dumb people need entertainment too. You don't feed foie-gras to a cow, am I right?

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Also Twilight is dumb.Black_Knight_00

Dumb people need entertainment too. You don't feed foie-gras to a cow, am I right?

I dunno...... not sure what cows eat.... hang on and let me give yo girlfriend a call! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHadfd sdfkwel;ke roflsdkmflnmewklnmerofolrlolololololol pwnt.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Also Twilight is dumb.GodModeEnabled

I dunno...... not sure what cows eat.... hang on and let me give yo girlfriend a call! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHadfd sdfkwel;ke roflsdkmflnmewklnmerofolrlolololololol pwnt.

She's more likely to tell you what poison snakes eat! OOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I so just 1upped you :D
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
George Orwell's worst visions come true, all the cameras in your home's devises turning on without your control, monitoring who you are, who you are with, what you wear, what you eat and drink, etc. This is one of the most messed up patents I've ever seen disclosed regarding violation of intimacy. I know it is "just a patent" but it only takes people with little scruples and ample greed to make the decision to include this tech on the next generation of MS hardware. The idea of Kinect is a despicable one to begin with, this is even worse.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Black_Knight_00
George Orwell's worst visions come true, all the cameras in your home's devises turning on without your control, monitoring who you are, who you are with, what you wear, what you eat and drink, etc. This is one of the most messed up patents I've ever seen disclosed regarding violation of intimacy. I know it is "just a patent" but it only takes people with little scruples and ample greed to make the decision to include this tech on the next generation of MS hardware. The idea of Kinect is a despicable one to begin with, this is even worse.SciFiCat
I agree. Though I'd be interested in hearing the reasons why you think kinect is despicable (not that I disagree with the statement, mind you)
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

i wonder if any thing that resembles people or heads in posters is going to it stop playing...

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
[QUOTE="SciFiCat"]George Orwell's worst visions come true, all the cameras in your home's devises turning on without your control, monitoring who you are, who you are with, what you wear, what you eat and drink, etc. This is one of the most messed up patents I've ever seen disclosed regarding violation of intimacy. I know it is "just a patent" but it only takes people with little scruples and ample greed to make the decision to include this tech on the next generation of MS hardware. The idea of Kinect is a despicable one to begin with, this is even worse.Black_Knight_00
I agree. Though I'd be interested in hearing the reasons why you think kinect is despicable (not that I disagree with the statement, mind you)

My reasons for thinking the Kinects is despicable are two fold: First; a personal reasons why I love video games is because these are mentally stimulating experiences and I love the responsiveness and precision a controller offers and the depth of involvement and immersion the player can achieve with this method. When this communication between game-controller-player is in tune, then it is as if the interface it is not even there. It is as is your thoughts are transferred from your brain to the screen, because when a player is really involved with a game, you are not even thinking you are holding a controller or ponder which button to press, you just do it without even thinking it. Kinect is nothing like that, because its "no controller" approach means that the connection and immersion with the game gets lost because the player becomes too self aware of its own body and the space the gestures and sweeping movements performed occupy in the real world. Trying to translate those very deliberate movements to a devise that has proven time and time again that it is a lag ridden and inaccurate way to interface with games is utterly frustrating. We are a tactile species, we need to hold things in our hands, to touch, that is how brain evolved to use tools. Kinect is asking us to grasp at thin air, depriving us of said tactile connection and feedback. It is literally counter intuitive and the player cannot immerse with the game because there is that immediate awareness that its intentions and movements don't translate to the on screen actions accurately. Furthermore, developers have to waste their time and resources making overtly simplified and glorified collections of mini games that have little to no depth, that work half of the time just to cater to an audience that have no personal investment to video games to begin with, they could be entertained with any other form of media just the same. In short, Kinect is a product aimed at people that don't consider games as a main source of entertainment. The second reason why I feel Kinect is despicable is because it is a freaking camera made by MS sitting right in the middle of your living room. Please tell me I'm not alone thinking that concept is upon itself creepy as hell. Can you say with all certainty that the Kinect is not taking snap shoots of you and your kids-friends-family when it is not supposed to? Can you really trust that thing knowing now that the patent to make a head count of the people on your living room exist?
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Dumb people need entertainment too. You don't feed foie-gras to a cow, am I right?Black_Knight_00

She's more likely to tell you what poison snakes eat! OOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I so just 1upped you :D

:lol:
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="SciFiCat"]My reasons for thinking the Kinects is despicable are two fold: First; a personal reasons why I love video games is because these are mentally stimulating experiences and I love the responsiveness and precision a controller offers and the depth of involvement and immersion the player can achieve with this method. When this communication between game-controller-player is in tune, then it is as if the interface it is not even there. It is as is your thoughts are transferred from your brain to the screen, because when a player is really involved with a game, you are not even thinking you are holding a controller or ponder which button to press, you just do it without even thinking it. Kinect is nothing like that, because its "no controller" approach means that the connection and immersion with the game gets lost because the player becomes too self aware of its own body and the space the gestures and sweeping movements performed occupy in the real world. Trying to translate those very deliberate movements to a devise that has proven time and time again that it is a lag ridden and inaccurate way to interface with games is utterly frustrating. We are a tactile species, we need to hold things in our hands, to touch, that is how brain evolved to use tools. Kinect is asking us to grasp at thin air, depriving us of said tactile connection and feedback. It is literally counter intuitive and the player cannot immerse with the game because there is that immediate awareness that its intentions and movements don't translate to the on screen actions accurately. Furthermore, developers have to waste their time and resources making overtly simplified and glorified collections of mini games that have little to no depth, that work half of the time just to cater to an audience that have no personal investment to video games to begin with, they could be entertained with any other form of media just the same. In short, Kinect is a product aimed at people that don't consider games as a main source of entertainment. The second reason why I feel Kinect is despicable is because it is a freaking camera made by MS sitting right in the middle of your living room. Please tell me I'm not alone thinking that concept is upon itself creepy as hell. Can you say with all certainty that the Kinect is not taking snap shoots of you and your kids-friends-family when it is not supposed to? Can you really trust that thing knowing now that the patent to make a head count of the people on your living room exist?

While I agree that a standard two-sticks controller is the only viable way to do gaming right today, I still think kinect technology had the potential to do good things which, just like motion controls in general, it completely failed to deliver. I believe the main mistake they made was trying to mold games around this wobbly technology rather than using it to improve games. Playing Rainbox Six with a standard controller and being able to make gestures to order your team around would have been great, but microsoft has instead forced developers to make kinect-only games to sell the device. Combine this with the fact kinect simply doesn't work, which has severely limited the ability for developers to make something with it and you get a plethora of miserable applications with the shallowness of a dry puddle. The privacy factor is even less far fetched than it looks: I remember trying kinect adventures at a shopping mall a year ago and discovering the damn thing took pictures of me and every other person who used the device and stored them in a folder on the store's XBOX. So yes, it has the potential to spy on you and most consoles are connected to the internet at all times, plus microsoft has a history of spying on people (see early versions of Windows XP and the recent XBOX version of internet explorer, which can send your browsing history to microsoft).
C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

They are a technological company... They have thousands of patents... They just get a patent on it because they made it and are future proofing...

20 years from now you might be able to turn your living room into a theater and pay to watch new movies still in theaters and this tech could come into play somehow (who knows)? But if it does and movie companies want to do it, guess what Microsoft has the patent and gets paid... Its just what they do...

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="SciFiCat"]George Orwell's worst visions come true, all the cameras in your home's devises turning on without your control, monitoring who you are, who you are with, what you wear, what you eat and drink, etc. This is one of the most messed up patents I've ever seen disclosed regarding violation of intimacy. I know it is "just a patent" but it only takes people with little scruples and ample greed to make the decision to include this tech on the next generation of MS hardware. The idea of Kinect is a despicable one to begin with, this is even worse.SciFiCat

My reasons for thinking the Kinects is despicable are two fold: First; a personal reasons why I love video games is because these are mentally stimulating experiences and I love the responsiveness and precision a controller offers and the depth of involvement and immersion the player can achieve with this method. When this communication between game-controller-player is in tune, then it is as if the interface it is not even there. It is as is your thoughts are transferred from your brain to the screen, because when a player is really involved with a game, you are not even thinking you are holding a controller or ponder which button to press, you just do it without even thinking it. Kinect is nothing like that, because its "no controller" approach means that the connection and immersion with the game gets lost because the player becomes too self aware of its own body and the space the gestures and sweeping movements performed occupy in the real world. Trying to translate those very deliberate movements to a devise that has proven time and time again that it is a lag ridden and inaccurate way to interface with games is utterly frustrating. We are a tactile species, we need to hold things in our hands, to touch, that is how brain evolved to use tools. Kinect is asking us to grasp at thin air, depriving us of said tactile connection and feedback. It is literally counter intuitive and the player cannot immerse with the game because there is that immediate awareness that its intentions and movements don't translate to the on screen actions accurately. Furthermore, developers have to waste their time and resources making overtly simplified and glorified collections of mini games that have little to no depth, that work half of the time just to cater to an audience that have no personal investment to video games to begin with, they could be entertained with any other form of media just the same. In short, Kinect is a product aimed at people that don't consider games as a main source of entertainment. The second reason why I feel Kinect is despicable is because it is a freaking camera made by MS sitting right in the middle of your living room. Please tell me I'm not alone thinking that concept is upon itself creepy as hell. Can you say with all certainty that the Kinect is not taking snap shoots of you and your kids-friends-family when it is not supposed to? Can you really trust that thing knowing now that the patent to make a head count of the people on your living room exist?

This is my biggest issue. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I don't like the idea of cameras in my home that could possibly be monitoring me. If the use of Kinect is mandatory with the next Xbox, I will not be getting the system.

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
That would be a joke, I can see if you are hosting an event in which you are selling things to people and using the program to get them there. But for family viewing thats stupid. If anything I would just tilt the camera to the side or disconnect it or put a paper in front of it.
lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
well, I have no friends so this doesn't affect me.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#40 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

another problem i can for see if , some one happens to own more then one tv and their both in the same vincinity it sees the extra person even though they aint watching , you gotta pay more because their there

this does sound like a privacy concern -how can it not be

imagine 2 people making love in front of it haha

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts
I don't think it will happen but who knows. I love what Microsoft brought to the table when it first introduced the Xbox back in 2001, but it is at times it has also turn into a milking machine. I love my Xbox, but if they did I would probably stop buying it. It's bad enough you have to have XBL Gold to stream and have access to certain services. But than again that's why I have my PS3 for streaming and so forth. Hopefully it doesn't come true, but I doubt it.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

It's not going to happen. People are not going to pay more money for something like this.

Metamania
Agreed. There's a line consumers won't cross, and something like this is LONG past it.