Microsoft bans users that swear

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#2 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

It sucks for Skype, but I'm all for it in gaming. :D

#3 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70674 posts) -

Really? It's censorship... If you harass someone it's another matter, but just for swearing is freaking stupid

#4 Posted by Pedro (21037 posts) -

Really? It's censorship... If you harass someone it's another matter, but just for swearing is freaking stupid

I see no problem with this. Acting civil should not be such a burden.

#5 Edited by kaealy (1453 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Anyone that has even been gaming online, on consoles or PC outside a very small and friendly community, knows that 99% of all the swearing in-game is to abuse other people or act out. You can't deny that.

#6 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18278 posts) -

Fuck that sh...

[THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED AT THE REQUEST OF MICROSOFT CORP.]

#7 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70674 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I see no problem with this. Acting civil should not be such a burden.

Even in private skype calls? I call bs, report them if they are abusive. But don't ban people just because they are swearing...

#8 Posted by Pedro (21037 posts) -

Even in private skype calls? I call bs, report them if they are abusive. But don't ban people just because they are swearing...

I am not jumping on that bandwagon until a valid source can verify the Skype banning.

#9 Edited by LeftClick007 (76 posts) -

This is hilarious haahhahahahaha. Those gifs had me rolling. But on topic, its their service and if you subscribe to it they can ban you for whatever reason they want. Yea it sucks for the people who are getting banned, but now we know. If you like to curse don't do it on the xbone.

As far as banning in games, I dont see a problem with it, banning for swearing happens all the time on the servers I frequent in CS, TF, and Dod. Helps keep the spammers out too.

#10 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70674 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I am not jumping on that bandwagon until a valid source can verify the Skype banning.

Kotaku reported on it. Didn't you go to the thread i posted?

#11 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Yeah it's not for swearing, it's for abusive behaviour. I'm all for it, online gaming on consoles has been awful from the outset with a complete lack of moderation, you can't go five minutes without running into some abusive moron that just wants to berate other players.

Also it doesn't apply to Skype calls or any peer to peer communications platform. It's just Skype is behind the gold payway, if you get banned for anything you can't use Skype, but you won't get banned for anything you say in a Skype call to a friend.

#12 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I'm of a mind that if you cannot express yourself without swearing, you really need to go sit in the corner until you can learn to better control your emotions and outbursts. Given that Skype is built into the system at a fundamental level, I can't see this as a bad thing.

Not that swearing can't be fun. But if this is based on abusive swearing, I'm all for it.

As many times as I've gotten unprovoked vitriol for not shooting a dude fast enough to my "team's" liking, I can only see this as an upside.

#13 Edited by c_rakestraw (14605 posts) -

If this cuts down on all the vile language that plagues voice chat, I'm all for it. Well, as long it doesn't result in instant permanent bans for a single offense, anyway.

#14 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70674 posts) -

Yeah it's not for swearing, it's for abusive behaviour. I'm all for it, online gaming on consoles has been awful from the outset with a complete lack of moderation, you can't go five minutes without running into some abusive moron that just wants to berate other players.

Also it doesn't apply to Skype calls or any peer to peer communications platform. It's just Skype is behind the gold payway, if you get banned for anything you can't use Skype, but you won't get banned for anything you say in a Skype call to a friend.

Yeah it's for swearing, it's for swearing in the upload studio and on skype calls

#15 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

To be clear, the Xbox Live Policy & Enforcement team does not monitor direct peer-to-peer communications like Skype chats and calls. Also, we take Code of Conduct moderation via Upload Studio very seriously. We want a clean, safe and fun environment for all users. Excessive profanity as well as other Code of Conduct violations will be enforced upon and result in suspension of some or all privileges on Xbox Live. We remain committed to preserving and promoting a safe, secure and enjoyable experience for all of our Xbox Live members.

"Excessive profanity", key word being "Excessive".
again, I'm all for it, I hope they start rolling it out out to ingame voice chat soon too, same with Sony.

#16 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70674 posts) -

If this cuts down on all the vile language that plagues voice chat, I'm all for it. Well, as long it doesn't result in instant permanent bans for a single offense, anyway.

But it wasn't in online gaming or anything to do with multiplayer. These were users using Skype and the Sky upload studio on X1

#17 Edited by BranKetra (48131 posts) -

Microsoft is doing something about the abuse of the incoming prior 360 Xbox Live consumers with extreme prejudice by extending their punishments to any use on the Xbox One. I already left Xbox Live before 2010 because of all the racists and flamers. If anything good will come from this, it will be the extinguishing of that community which will make me more comfortable buying that console.

#18 Edited by Archangel3371 (15358 posts) -

No problem for me. It's their service so it's their rules. Like others have said it'd be great for online gaming as well although I do get a kick hearing someone lose their mind when I "noob tube" them in a Call of Duty game. :P

#19 Posted by theothernormal (74 posts) -

What if the character in the game curses and the kinct hears it, do you get banned for that too?

#20 Edited by Jacanuk (4222 posts) -
#21 Edited by Bigboi500 (29342 posts) -

lol I wouldn't last ten minutes...

#22 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

Man Xbox Live is going to be a lonely place if they ban everyone who swears.

#23 Posted by Iridion-II (1343 posts) -

Good, they should ban everyone than swears from Skype and Xbox Live. Maybe people will learn their lesson.

#24 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70674 posts) -

This is hilarious haahhahahahaha. Those gifs had me rolling. But on topic, its their service and if you subscribe to it they can ban you for whatever reason they want. Yea it sucks for the people who are getting banned, but now we know. If you like to curse don't do it on the xbone.

As far as banning in games, I dont see a problem with it, banning for swearing happens all the time on the servers I frequent in CS, TF, and Dod. Helps keep the spammers out too.

it's not in the ToU of Live, so they screwed up big time

#25 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

it's not in the ToU of Live, so they screwed up big time

Yes it is. And even if it wasn't they can still do whatever they want with Live service, you have no god given right to use them

C. Communications & User Created Content

•Do not create a Gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that other users may be offended by. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of:

◦Profane words/phrases

◦Topics or content of a sexual nature

◦Hate speech

◦Illegal drugs/controlled substances

◦Illegal activities

◦Controversial religious topics

◦Notorious people/organizations

◦Sensitive current/historical events

◦Any “sound alike” or “look alike” words, phrases, or puns that reference these topics are also prohibited

It's a 24 hour temp ban, hardly an issue.

#26 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70674 posts) -

it's still overkill in my book

#27 Edited by Justin_G (198 posts) -

wow. any one for this is an idiot. am i gonna get banned now, at Gamespot too?

seriously. who is stupid enough to think that censorship is a necessary facet of console and computer gaming? *looks at thread* wow

#28 Posted by Jacanuk (4222 posts) -
#29 Posted by -TheSecondSign- (9185 posts) -

Well fuck me.

#30 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70674 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

If its even true.

I hope it's not true, but it seems like it is.

#31 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

First of all, moderation isn't censorship, they're different, it's also why we have different words to refer to them.

Second, you have no "freedom of speech" or expression or whatever other rubbish you've read online on XBL, it's Microsoft's platform which you've agreed to terms for using. It's no different to Gamespot banning spambots.

#32 Posted by Jacanuk (4222 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

If its even true.

I hope it's not true, but it seems like it is.

I dont believe it, if you look at the sentence it looks like a combination of a few messages.

#33 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

It is true, it's already on the MS xbox one support forums where users were reporting the message and Microsoft even put out a PR statement about it, which I pasted a few replies above.

The message is bugged, but if your uploaded content from Upload Studio sets off whatever flags they're looking for, you get a 24 hour ban

#34 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70674 posts) -

It is true, it's already on the

MS xbox one support forums

where users were reporting the message and Microsoft even put out a PR statement about it, which I pasted a few replies above.

The message is bugged, but if your uploaded content from Upload Studio sets off whatever flags they're looking for, you get a 24 hour ban

Yeah i hope people haven't gotten any permanent bans

#35 Posted by LeftClick007 (76 posts) -

First of all, moderation isn't censorship, they're different, it's also why we have different words to refer to them.

Second, you have no "freedom of speech" or expression or whatever other rubbish you've read online on XBL, it's Microsoft's platform which you've agreed to terms for using. It's no different to Gamespot banning spambots.

Exactly, some people just dont understand. If you wanna be in MS's house, gotta obey their rules.

#36 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

I'm assuming they're doing this to stem the somewhat bad impression Xbox received, from all those videos of people spouting derogatory language, in an effort to seem more family friendly. If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo screens the messages sent from their consoles. What Microsoft is doing seems a bit more extreme, but it's in the same vein. You are not entitled to use their online services to write inane stuff with, while it is censoring people it's most likely done to deter hate speech and harassment.

#37 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

Well, one could still euphemize...right? Or would that feel wrong?

#38 Posted by Jacanuk (4222 posts) -

where users were reporting the message and Microsoft even put out a PR statement about it, which I pasted a few replies above.

Wow just wow how did that message get past quality control.

But at least its not permanent and its probably a happy auto-ban system put in place that hasn't been calibrated yet.

But darn that message, lol if i got that i would have assumed i got hacked and someone was trolling me.

#39 Posted by c_rakestraw (14605 posts) -

What if the character in the game curses and the kinct hears it, do you get banned for that too?

I assume Kinect would be smart enough to differentiate between audio coming from the TV and the room.

#40 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70674 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@barrybarryk said:

Wow just wow how did that message get past quality control.

But at least its not permanent and its probably a happy auto-ban system put in place that hasn't been calibrated yet.

But darn that message, lol if i got that i would have assumed i got hacked and someone was trolling me.

i don't really know, they should have checked this

#41 Posted by Netret0120 (2033 posts) -

What if i swear in German?

#42 Posted by theothernormal (74 posts) -

@theothernormal said:

I assume Kinect would be smart enough to differentiate between audio coming from the TV and the room.

You never know. Surround sound could confuse it.

#43 Posted by XenoLair (4755 posts) -

Quite crazy.

They can do it of course, if its in the terms of use and you agreed to them. Censorship or not, they have the power to do whatever they want. The system allows it after all.

#44 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

So you pay 500 bucks for their console then a monthly membership plus extra for all the games, controllers, and DLC. I think that entitles anyone to some swearing granted that it is non-abusive.

#45 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

God knows we dont want to hear people swearing while we are killing others...

WTF?

#46 Edited by EvanescentCrow (73 posts) -

@Justin_G said:

wow. any one for this is an idiot. am i gonna get banned now, at Gamespot too?

seriously. who is stupid enough to think that censorship is a necessary facet of console and computer gaming? *looks at thread* wow

Any normal human being, that wasn't raised like a savage, and has a healthy working brain.

*looks at your post*

Nevermind.

What I find odd is how people look at this and scream "censorship". Clearly, some people can't tell the difference between "saying what I want" (freedom of speech - which censorship shouldn't affect) and "saying things HOW I want" (which has a lot more to do with education and manners).

Bottom-line, I appreciate this move by Microsoft and hope other companies follow the good example. Of course we can say what we want, we just don't have to be obnoxious about it. Being offensive doesn't drive your point across any better.

That said, yes, I would like to see GameSpot ban people for being offensive. It's long overdue, actually.

#47 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@theothernormal said:

That's giving it far too much credit.

#48 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

Or if you're with a friend or anyone and that person curses...?
Or a distant conversation that has full or curses...?

#49 Edited by c_rakestraw (14605 posts) -
@EvanescentCrow said:

That said, yes, I would like to see GameSpot ban people for being offensive. It's long overdue, actually.

We always have and still do. Swearing's just excluded from that definition.

@Shame-usBlackley said:

That's giving it far too much credit.

Probably. Pretty common for PC headsets to detect and silence any audio it picks up on from speakers, though, so I can't imagine it would be that unreasonable to expect Kinect to be able to do the same.

#50 Posted by EvanescentCrow (73 posts) -

@EvanescentCrow said:

We always have and still do. Swearing's just excluded from that definition.

I have no problem with swearing, or expletives in general. It's when that swearing is aimed at specific people that it becomes offensive, and yet, I still see examples of that going by without any moderation.

If you disagree with someone on the forums, and feel the need to call them "moron", "stupid", "retard" or anything of the kind, I would expect some sort of moderation and, according to the rules in the old site, all of those were (amazingly) acceptable.

Not sure if you changed it for the new site, though, but I've seen no indication of the contrary.