MGS5 officially announced! Trailer and loads of Fox Engine examples inside.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by lamprey263 (24673 posts) -
I hear Kojima promises a wider cutscene to gameplay ratio gap, promising you might be able to cook an entire Thanksgiving dinner before the tutorial even pops up.
#52 Posted by istuffedsunny (6984 posts) -

Actually he said the opposite... The next game will feature shorter cutscenes because longer ones are "outdated". Of course shorter by MGS standards could still be 10 minutes :P

#53 Posted by The-Gamer (109 posts) -

Kojima's 'secret weapon' for GDC.

#54 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Kojima's 'secret weapon' for GDC.

The-Gamer

GDC-Box-Kojima

Kojima also posted a photo of the mocap studio itself. According to Kojima, they were building a huge set.

Mocap-Studio-Construction-Set

A motion capture suit:

Mocap-Suit

Now its REAL.

#55 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

This is some real info. From this site http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=6853

In Ground Zeroes for example, you are free, it really happens in real time. You are free to choose your own equipment, choose the route you want to take. All of this happens at the same pace as it would in reality. The stress is important in a game of this genre. We ourselves, when we play it for 2 or 3 hours, we are exhausted.

Certain players will be able to discover passages, in which they will find no enemies in their path. On the other hand, others will find less ideal solutions, and they will be forced to engage in action scenes. This is how we are working, asking ourselves questions, to find out whether its playable or not.

As far as stealth is concerned, you dont normally just start in a building. If you look at spy and action movies, how the hero gets to that point is a very important part of the story and part of the action. Do they get there by plane or by some sort of disguise? There are so many different ways they can approach that element of infiltration. Thats something that we couldnt really accomplish on the MSX or the first PlayStation due to technical limitations.

But now that we finally had the power of the PS2, thats something that became possible. Its something that I wanted to do very early on in the series so when it became possible I decided to try and implement that into gameplay. But my ultimate goal really is to give players even more freedom, not only to figure out how theyre going to get there but really have everything factor into it. So, do you want to get there by helicopter, do you want to get there by plane, are you going to ride in a vehicle or are you going to take a bike? Basically to have all of these options available to the player.

Up until now Metal Gear has more or less been set on one path like youre on a set rail to get from point A to point B with a certain amount of freedom between. What I want to do is create a true open world experience where the player has all these options available to them and really limitless gameplay. Thats what Im trying to accomplish with my next project, Ground Zeroes.

As far as the next generation goes, we can already be sure that in terms of visuals, sound and the processing speed, the framerate, all will be improved. So we will be able to express ourselves more easily. But at this moment, while working I say to myself that the next machines are also about the cloud, social, the ability to use different devices like the tablets, and it is with this in mind that I develop my projects.

Sounds great to an extent. A game that is too free loses the very carefully crafted scripted moments. He needs to strike a nice balance and seeing that he is one of the best developers of all time I bet he will.

#56 Posted by ActionRemix (5707 posts) -

To the non-believers:

Currently I'm working on the challenge (which I'm going to announce at GDC) on the production procedure over FOX engine. I strongly believe making the artificial waxwork look real or lively and making real person's expression ASAP over CG share much of common. http://t.co/msbAZ4XLzRHideo Kojima

#TeamCG

#57 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Considering that the cover of the latest edition of Edge is about Konami's attempt to make convincing looking people, the allegation that the bandaged guy is CG makes sense.

E252: Inside Konamis quest to create gamings most believable visuals

fox

We examine Konamis bid to reclaim its place in virtual sports with the next Pro Evo, and take a close look at PS4, its controller and its games.

CarnageHeart

Having read the relevant issue of Edge, I am now in the CG camp.

phantompain031913coverjpg-e21052.jpg

#58 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
I feel bad for the actor who people think is fake.
#59 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

I'm very much part of team real and till I see proof you'll never change my mind.

Give it ten more years and maybe I could believe cgi has come this far, maybe.

#60 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Tomorrow is the big day. Last chance to vote. Is Joakim real or CG? Are you crazy or sane? Vote now. :P

I will be at work so I will probably miss this live. Its going to be very long, so expect loads of Fox Engine stuff.

#61 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
One hour and a half to go! I want shameus in here, you know you still love MGS. :P
#62 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

8 minutes to go. My body is ready.

#63 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Here's the streaming Gamespot link.

http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/new

#64 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Nice trailer and gameplay footage. That little kid in the conference room looked really realistic.

#65 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

The scenes in full daylight looked really nice.

Its a bit surprising that a full studio is opening up in LA.

#66 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -
That was an amazing video, very emotional. Possible spoiler speculation ahead: I love how Snake now looks like a cross between MGS 3 and 4's Big Boss. Kojima is definitely painting Big Boss as the tragic hero of this series. - That was Master Miller beside Snake in the operating room, wasn't it? - Holy crap at Outer Heaven exploding. I'm assuming that's what that was.
#67 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -
No David Hayer?! :( https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/317002108115234816
#68 Posted by BranKetra (49245 posts) -
The graphics are great and the beginning of the story is intriguing. I wonder why Big Boss is in such a situation at the start of the game. I also am curious about Snake's voice actor not returning for the new Metal Gear Solid. His voice as Snake is iconic because when he combines it with all of the games a continuity formed. The continuity is now broken.
#69 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

First ten seconds:

It's the same old problems from Kojima. You have a very realistic hospital setting, and that believability is ruined by the fact that Snake's eyepatch and sneaking suit are still on while the doctors are trying to revive him, and the dude being worked on across the table is screaming, "Don't you DIE ON ME!" and he still has Wesker glasses on. It's both realistic and the most ludicrous thing you've ever seen.

Liked hearing Garbage's "Not Your Kind Of People" though.  

#70 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

No David Hayer?! :( https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/317002108115234816Travo_basic

Im ok with Richard Doyle. He played Solidus and Big Boss in MGS4. Big Boss is much older in MGSV so it makes sense that Doyle would voice him.

#71 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -

[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]No David Hayer?! :( https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/317002108115234816S0lidSnake

Im ok with Richard Doyle. He played Solidus and Big Boss in MGS4. Big Boss is much older in MGSV so it makes sense that Doyle would voice him.

Yeah, it makes sense, it's just that David Hayter's voice was iconic.
#72 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

First ten seconds:

It's the same old problems from Kojima. You have a very realistic hospital setting, and that believability is ruined by the fact that Snake's eyepatch and sneaking suit are still on while the doctors are trying to revive him, and the dude being worked on across the table is screaming, "Don't you DIE ON ME!" and he still has Wesker glasses on. It's both realistic and the most ludicrous thing you've ever seen.

Shame-usBlackley
OMG who cares what they are wearing. Open world MGS, you know you rike.
#73 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -
You know? I thought Phantom Pain was announced a long time ago. I saw a site talk about it around the time Revengeance was released. Am I the only one that remembers that or am I crazy?
#74 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
You know? I thought Phantom Pain was announced a long time ago. I saw a site talk about it around the time Revengeance was released. Am I the only one that remembers that or am I crazy?shadowchronicle
That was a trailer during the VGAs, Kojima invented a fake company to pretend it had nothing to do with MGS. Now it is official than they are the same game.
#75 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

I am still watching the full presentation, which is incredible. The stuff they do with Fox is crazy, that whole picture thing is wild. Does no one else do that? How much time will that save for artists? 

On the trailer, not a traditional MGS trailer as it was still surreal. Looks like Master Miller was held captive somewhere and there was a huge operation to get him out but Big Boss was really injured during it. So we get the coma and all the weird stuff that looks like characters from his past. 9 years has past, at this point all the snakes had to have been born. We must be getting close to playing bad Big Boss. 

BTW this Hayter stuff is BS I bet. He will be playing SOLID Snake like always. They just couldn't have him voice two snakes in the same game I bet. This game will introduce Fox Hound and have Solid Snake in it and get ready to recreate MG1 for the next game. Watch.

#76 Posted by Metamania (12021 posts) -

There is NO WAY those graphics are current-gen. They have to be next-gen! BTW, that is some of Konami's best work graphically. Amazing!

#77 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
[QUOTE="Travo_basic"] - Holy crap at Outer Heaven exploding. I'm assuming that's what that was.

No it was Mother Base from Peace Walker. Anyway, it looks great. Glad to see it's still Big Boss.
#78 Posted by Archangel3371 (15969 posts) -
That trailer is pure awesome-sauce, soooo pumped for this game. Some pretty impressive stuff was shown in the Fox engine demonstration. I sure hope Hayter returns to voice Snake as it just wouldn't be the same without him. Still Richard Doyle was great as Solidus so I could live with that.
#79 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18795 posts) -

Uhm... why does it say xbox 360 at the end?

Also, no more david hayter as snake's voice, WTF?

#80 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Wow looks amazing! 

#81 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
What is on Boss' head on that second gif?
#82 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
What is on Boss' head on that second gif?dvader654
Just your average brain slug. No big deal.
#83 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Oh and team CG you are officially nuts. How could you think that was fake. Yeah I was fooled for a moment but come on, really look at it.
#84 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

! *insert famous sound effect*

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/27/the-phantom-pain-and-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-are-two-separate-games/

We got in touch with Konami to ask just what the deal is with the two titles, and the publishers Director of Public Relations, Jay Boor, informed us that they are in fact two separate games.

Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate games, Boor clarified to Siliconera via e-mail. GZ will be a prologue to The Phantom Pain.

Meanwhile, on Twitter, Hideo Kojima writes: Ground Zeroes is a prologue of MGSV. 9 years after that event will be The Phantom Pain. MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game TPP. The game play demo I presented today is the opening of TPP which is tutorial that starts from crawling.

What?! So its like GT Prologue? A small set up game before the real game. Maybe a long demo or something? 

#85 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Doritos Pope interviewed Kojima, will have it up later this week. Kojima confirms no Hayter in the game and says WHY. 

#86 Posted by Metamania (12021 posts) -

Doritos Pope interviewed Kojima, will have it up later this week. Kojima confirms no Hayter in the game and says WHY.

dvader654

Either because they couldn't give Hayter the amount of money he wanted for the role or his voice just wouldn't fit the Snake that's in MGSV or even GZ.

#87 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Metamania

Either because they couldn't give Hayter the amount of money he wanted for the role or his voice just wouldn't fit the Snake that's in MGSV or even GZ.

Its because Snake and Big Boss will be in the game at the same time and having the same voice would be weird. Watch, that is the only logical reason.
#88 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

dvader654

Its because Snake and Big Boss will be in the game at the same time and having the same voice would be weird. Watch, that is the only logical reason.

Yup. There was a rumor that the last boss fight in the game will be a boss fight you'll lose... against Solid Snake.

#89 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

S0lidSnake

Yup. There was a rumor that the last boss fight in the game will be a boss fight you'll lose... against Solid Snake.

The time line doesn't add up yet. 10 years after PW is still 10 years before MG1. Snake is a teen in this game. Unless we play a span of ten years that wont happen. Though I think this game will set it up and the next game is the MG remake.

I am getting really tired of this filler of BB, he needs to become bad already. 

#90 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

! *insert famous sound effect*

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/27/the-phantom-pain-and-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-are-two-separate-games/

We got in touch with Konami to ask just what the deal is with the two titles, and the publishers Director of Public Relations, Jay Boor, informed us that they are in fact two separate games.

Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate games, Boor clarified to Siliconera via e-mail. GZ will be a prologue to The Phantom Pain.

Meanwhile, on Twitter, Hideo Kojima writes: Ground Zeroes is a prologue of MGSV. 9 years after that event will be The Phantom Pain. MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game TPP. The game play demo I presented today is the opening of TPP which is tutorial that starts from crawling.

What?! So its like GT Prologue? A small set up game before the real game. Maybe a long demo or something? 

dvader654

Kojima talked about creating smaller experiences before going on to make full experiences. The idea is to gauge the reaction to the smaller game and make changes to full game to make it the best game possible.

#91 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

The time line doesn't add up yet. 10 years after PW is still 10 years before MG1. Snake is a teen in this game. Unless we play a span of ten years that wont happen. Though I think this game will set it up and the next game is the MG remake.

dvader654

I see. Oh well. I dont think this will be filler at all. This is Kojima's taboo game he was talking about. We are going to see child soldiers in this game. Chico being trained by Big Boss. We are going to see S0lidus. He was a full clone at the time they cloned him so he should be Big Boss' age.

#92 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

S0lidSnake

I see. Oh well. I dont think this will be filler at all. This is Kojima's taboo game he was talking about. We are going to see child soldiers in this game. Chico being trained by Big Boss. We are going to see S0lidus. He was a full clone at the time they cloned him so he should be Big Boss' age.

In the end I don't care about what happens in the story, we know the end already. I am more excited for open world MGS. And I cant wait to see the bosses.
#93 Posted by -Unreal- (24544 posts) -

Yay. Movie Gear Solid 5.

#94 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

dvader654

In the end I don't care about what happens in the story, we know the end already. I am more excited for open world MGS. And I cant wait to see the bosses.

I would say Snake Eater had the best story in the series and it was a prequel. Kojima can still create a compelling story with a different set of characters and its own resolution. 

#95 Posted by BranKetra (49245 posts) -

dvader654
This is an excellent gif.
#96 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

^It really is. Best looking thing I've seen in a next gen game.

I finally watched the trailer and while it looked pretty cool, I didnt care for the song. It was a very un-kojima trailer. Did anyone notice that Greg Miller asks the doctors "What about him?" after they tell him that Big Boss is in a coma. He looks straight at the camera as if he is inquiring about a third person behind the camera. You guys think it could be Solidus? 

I also noticed someone next to Big Boss in the chopper. Looks a lot like Solidus. I am going to watch it again. EDIT: nvm it's just Miller. 

#97 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

I would say Snake Eater had the best story in the series and it was a prequel. Kojima can still create a compelling story with a different set of characters and its own resolution. 

Oh for sure but its one of those things that will happen in game and be totally new. The fun of trailers from other MGS games is always trying to piece together the mysteries of the story from the trailers, cause it was very mythology heavy. There isnt much in this story to get excited about from a MG mythology perspective until Snake shows up.
#98 Posted by HipHopBeats (2921 posts) -

Graphics look solid. Would've preferred to see some actual gameplay insread of 6 minute a crawling tutorial. The 2 games idea sounds cool for getting feedback if the prologue game is either an extended demo or way cheaper than the full game.

#99 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

First ten seconds:

dvader654

It's not that I care what they are wearing per se, only that it has become common in Kojima's games to see inconsistencies like this that break the immersion. I understand that he wants to infer that that is Miller most likely, but a man wearing shades on an ER table is fvcking hilarious, as is a man being paddled with his suit still on. Kojima used to be a producer who prided himself on seeing these kinds of things, but when ten seconds in to a trailer to his game I am laughing (and not in a good way), it's obvious the guy is more concerned about creating internet memes and stoking his ego from sycophantic fans who unquestionly love what he does rather than listening to those who might look at it with a more critical or unbiased eye. And don't say giving the fans what they want can always be a good thing -- three ruined Star Wars prequels say otherwise.

As for open world MGS, I am not optimistic. Kojima has never attempted it and all of his games in the past have been very quadrant based. I would be very surprised if he pulls it off well.

#100 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

First ten seconds:

Shame-usBlackley

It's not that I care what they are wearing per se, only that it has become common in Kojima's games to see inconsistencies like this that break the immersion. I understand that he wants to infer that that is Miller most likely, but a man wearing shades on an ER table is fvcking hilarious, as is a man being paddled with his suit still on. Kojima used to be a producer who prided himself on seeing these kinds of things, but when ten seconds in to a trailer to his game I am laughing (and not in a good way), it's obvious the guy is more concerned about creating internet memes and stoking his ego from sycophantic fans who unquestionly love what he does rather than listening to those who might look at it with a more critical or unbiased eye. And don't say giving the fans what they want can always be a good thing -- three ruined Star Wars prequels say otherwise.

As for open world MGS, I am not optimistic. Kojima has never attempted it and all of his games in the past have been very quadrant based. I would be very surprised if he pulls it off well.

So having consistently crazy stuff happen like The Boss' scar coming alive and slithering away from her body is ok but sunglasses in an operating room is not. I don't get where this whole immersion thing, this is a series about giant robots and dudes with super powers. It's just a weird thing to pick up on after everything else that has happened in this series. Now your concerns on gameplay is more relevant.