idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

Ok I just finished watching the TGS gameplay trailer where it showed snake/big boss or whatever going through a jungle mission with Quiet. I was just curious, what you guys think about this whole parachute recruiting thing?

MGS5 was one of my most anticipated games of next gen but this parachute thing is really turning me off. Seriously, what were they thinking? How is it that you can go through a whole level with dudes screaming as they fly off and no one notices. I know they notice if you are close by (like that one dude in the trailer who shot the parachute before it flew off), but still. What about that last trailer when he was in the desert on more flatland. You'd think at least some one would notice a bunch of dudes getting shot up into the sky, especially if it's a car or a horse or something. This is going to totally kill immersion for me. Not to mention Quiet dashing around the map like she is flash jumping and making noise and not getting noticed by any hostiles.

Yeah I know you have a choice as to whether you want to do it or not, but I'm thinking if they give you the option to recruit a bunch of dudes/vehicles and stuff, there is some kind of benefit to upgrading motherbase. Now I feel as if I'll be missing out if I don't knock out every dude and send him back to mother base because it seems like there is a big incentive to upgrade the base. I don't know about you guys, but the way I like to play stealth games is assassin style, stealthily killing everyone as I make my way to the objective. If I was to recruit a dude or vehicle or whatever, I would definitely try my best to clear the area of anyone who could notice that I'm doing such a thing.

What do you guys think? Also, if anyone knows, what will I be missing out on if I go through the game without doing this? I really don't like this and I think it totally kills immersion. This is a stealth game and the whole upgrading mother base rpg element to the game seems extremely unnecessary, and this is coming from a guy who plays mostly rpgs. Or they could've thought of a different way to go about it.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

All I can say is Metal Gear is a weird series and having cartoonish out of place fixtures in a realistic looking environment has become its norm.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

I think it's hilarious and I love it myself. These things usually don't take me out of a game at all, I can easily accept them for what they are and stay focused in the game world.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I think its called a Fulcrom or Fulton or whatever. And if you want immersion so badly then put down the Controller and go outside. Immerse yourself in the boring real world.

Let the people with Cardboard Boxes and Parachutes have their fun.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

MGS: Portable Ops have me recruiting and I haven't wanted to go back since. Besides, killing an enemy was always like a failure to me in stealth games. My perfect run would be one where I never even knocked someone out, and thus I was a ghost the whole time.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu

@elheber

I don't if they've done it but it actually does seem possible to get in and out not harming a single fly. Snake can leap, crawl, shimmy, climb, hide and so much more all over the terrain. You're going to have to use a few gadgets to move guards out of the way or something like that, but the demo implies that its possible to do that without harming them.

Which brings me to a different question.... Why ?

Why would anyone do this anyone do this in any game ? Usually you master a game by mastering all the mechanics, not confine yourself to a playstyle that renders half the game's features useless (although thats the developers fault). Its definately quite the accomplishment but its not one worth pursuing, unless you're doing it specifically because you genuinely don't like the other mechanics.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@elheber

Which brings me to a different question.... Why ?

Why would anyone do this anyone do this in any game ? Usually you master a game by mastering all the mechanics, not confine yourself to a playstyle that renders half the game's features useless (although thats the developers fault). Its definately quite the accomplishment but its not one worth pursuing, unless you're doing it specifically because you genuinely don't like the other mechanics.

So your question is why would anyone limit their playstyle? I can't answer for everyone, but the tools were given to us to be able to do no-kill runs, and it is thus an optional challenge. Even if the tools weren't given to us, people will find a way to give themselves a harder challenge. You can see this in speedruns of other games, where you aren't experiencing the "full" game in order to do something that's very your own. That said, stealth games often have this optional challenge, so why not take it if you can? It's almost often done [edit] after [/edit] normal runs anyway (unless you're a masochist) so nothing is missed.

It's also a matter of living up to the mythos. Sam Fisher and Snake(s), along with other heroes, are larger than life. I imagine that if they were actually living the game, they'd straight up do it the most badass way. Not only that, I don't imagine them being cold-blooded killers, so if they have the ability to spare a life (and ability they do) they would take the route of non-lethal. Playing pacifist seems to me the most authentic.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu

@elheber

Okay.... I think I understand.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

MGS does NOT reward the player in any way for taking a pacifist approach. Leaving hostiles undisturbed has no effect on the end score except your own personal satisfaction unlike that in Splinter Cell Blacklist. But with the Fulton thing seeming to be important the Perfect Ghost playthrough (no kills, no knockouts, like you were never even there) does not seem to be a wise decision for this game.

Regardless, I'm up for trying out a new breed of stealth. MGS stealth is very unique in that you are actually supposed to study everything and research before you go into your mission (marking hostiles, patrol patterns, etc.) That's awesome...

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

@thedude- said:

All I can say is Metal Gear is a weird series and having cartoonish out of place fixtures in a realistic looking environment has become its norm.

That sums it up.

It's pretty easy to forget all of MGS's fantastical elements when so much of the game is hyper real. But if you look back on the series, you'll see that it's always had elements that are very "videogame-ish" and sometimes even silly.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thedude-

@Grieverr: Video games, meta and silly; nothing wrong with it.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Grieverr

EDIT: double post, sorry

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grieverr

@thedude- said:

@Grieverr: Video games, meta and silly; nothing wrong with it.

Not at all! I like my games to be....games! Fun above all else.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

Speaking MgS... Im concerned about such an Ambitious game being Cross Gen.... Especially after what happened with Shadow Of Modor and the Nemesis System.

Should I be expecting the PS360 versions to be missing a whole lot more than Graphics ?

Will the AI be dumber ? Will the draw distance be so bad that we cant Tag Enemies from a proper tactical vantage point ?

Can anybody tell me if Ground Zero will have these problems ?

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#15 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Well for me it started back in the day with the cardboard box, but the overall quality of the game and story made it a none issue for me. I will admit though, I have grown to favor the Splinter Cell series over Metal Gear.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thedude-

@Grieverr: Like I said, nothing wrong it...

Meta and silly have large supplies of fun within them.

Tonyx429

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 Tonyx429
Member since 2014 • 77 Posts

The "Fulton Recovery System" was introduced in Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, so it's been here for a while. At first I thought it was weird, but I got used to it. MGS is known for these silly things lol.

Fission Mailed