MGS4 will be the PS3's Halo

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

Yes, MGS4 will be the PS3's Halo. Well, let me explain what I mean.

When Halo was released for the Xbox, the system was already far behind the PS2. The PS2 was getting AAA title after AAA title that holiday and it seemingly could not be stopped. But along came Halo and it put the Xbox on the map. The game was highly regarded by critics and was a showpiece for what the system could do. It was also a hit that sold HUGE numbers.

But ........... in the end the success of Halo did little to get people to buy the console in numbers anywhere close to the PS2. Ultimately the PS2 outsold the Xbox by more than 5 to 1. So the thread title is to note that the PS3 will have a bonifide hit with MGS4, but it will not be THE title to push sales past the Wii or 360. It'll simply be a great, high selling title on a console that failed to capture the lead.

To be completely honest, though, even though everything I stated above is how I feel, this thread is really an experiment to see how many people actually read just the thread title and comment or actually read the first post. I already have a bad feeling about this ...

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

The funny thing is I think Sony already knows, they won't have the lead this time around. It seems they are fine with it. They are more interested in being the the top high def movie player it seems to me, more interested in being your living rooms media hub than a top gaming machine. You see then they are not limited to selling very expensive to make games, with hard to satisfy even fickle gamers. No this way they can sell any # of items you don't really need. I personally will not be replacing my whole DVD collection with Blu Ray or HDDVD. I bought a few of each the first months, now I rapidly lost interest in either one. I have High Def Cable which is easier to use, and I don't have to worry if this company or that supports it. I might have to wait a few months longer to see some movie in hi def, but I really care very little. As most of the movies I have seen over the last 30 years are pure crap IMO.

I hope MGS4 does great on the PS3, as a matter of fact I know it will. I agree with you that it will have little to do with how Sony does this time around, it was Sony who chose their own fate, they seem content with it. I really think does not care if they lead this time, they have an agenda and they are sticking to it good or bad. I know I'm not buying a whole lot movies, so if thats their salvation I wish them all the luck.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Dude, Halo was more of a Super Mario Bros. or Sonic the Hedgehog. Without it, the Xbox would probably be hanging around with the 3DO and Atari. I don't think MGS4 will even have the chance to do that since the PS3 is doing okay without it.

I think the other thing is that the reason games like Halo are so huge is that the captain of the football team and the guy who plays Dungeons and Dragons play it. MGS lost the former crowd with 2. It will probably be an awesome game, but it will not have the massive, industry shifting impact that Halo did.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#5 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

I hate my connection! Anyways... mgs4 might be hyped as a game but it's not hyped as halo. The amount of money put on halo's ads was enough to feed a whole country while I don't see any ads for mgs4. Also, mgs4 is attracting gamers who aren't familiar with mgs universe while halo succeeded in attrcting non gamers. Just check the blogs titled @operation snake seller@ in my profile which is a poor attempt at attracting new faces to the series... Few comments are posted there and some of them haven't even played the original. I'm sure if I did a blog on halo, it would get a larger number of comments.

I wouldn't say mgs4 will be as popular as the previous mgs games because it's more hyped and as I mentioned, it's attracting new gamers to the series.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 EvilTaru
Member since 2002 • 58394 Posts

When Halo was released for the Xbox, the system was already far behind the PS2. The PS2 was getting AAA title after AAA title that holiday and it seemingly could not be stopped. But along came Halo and it put the Xbox on the map. The game was highly regarded by critics and was a showpiece for what the system could do. It was also a hit that sold HUGE numbers.

But ........... in the end the success of Halo did little to get people to buy the console in numbers anywhere close to the PS2. Ultimately the PS2 outsold the Xbox by more than 5 to 1. So the thread title is to note that the PS3 will have a bonifide hit with MGS4, but it will not be THE title to push sales past the Wii or 360. It'll simply be a great, high selling title on a console that failed to capture the lead.

To be completely honest, though, even though everything I stated above is how I feel, this thread is really an experiment to see how many people actually read just the thread title and comment or actually read the first post. I already have a bad feeling about this ...

Darth_Tigris

HALO = FPS

MGS4 != FPS

PS3 already has its HALO-type FPS, it's called Resistance, it might not be as big as the original HALO but it sold 2 million copies and Resistance 2 will literally be the best FPS that will come out in 2008, especially in terms of features and online multiplayer.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#7 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
This sounds like it should be in system wars. MGS4 is not going to be the PS3 Halo because they are nothing alike and appeal to different people.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

1) When Halo was released for the Xbox, the system was already far behind the PS2. The PS2 was getting AAA title after AAA title that holiday and it seemingly could not be stopped. But along came Halo and it put the Xbox on the map. The game was highly regarded by critics and was a showpiece for what the system could do. It was also a hit that sold HUGE numbers.

2) But ........... in the end the success of Halo did little to get people to buy the console in numbers anywhere close to the PS2. Ultimately the PS2 outsold the Xbox by more than 5 to 1. 3) So the thread title is to note that the PS3 will have a bonifide hit with MGS4, but it will not be THE title to push sales past the Wii or 360. It'll simply be a great, high selling title on a console that failed to capture the lead.

Darth_Tigris

1) Halo was a launch title on the Xbox, so much of your post is inaccurate. Also, while Halo was a phenomenally popular game, more important to the Xbox was MS's ability to absorb losses. The DC sold more systems than the GC or the Xbox or the PS3 its first year, but Sega was losing money on it and unlike the makers of the aforementioned systems, could not afford such losses.

2) That is true. Single games don't flip the positions of systems. Systems need steady supplies of quality games. The X360, the first choice of many 3rd parties and the cheaper system, has an advantage in that crucial arena.

3) Mentioning the Wii doesn't make much sense, since casual gamers are a different demographic.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#9 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts
I haven't tried any MGS games myself, but I can see it becoming the Halo of the PS3...
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CarnageHeart

I hate my connection! Anyways... mgs4 might be hyped as a game but it's not hyped as halo. The amount of money put on halo's ads was enough to feed a whole country while I don't see any ads for mgs4. Also, mgs4 is attracting gamers who aren't familiar with mgs universe while halo succeeded in attrcting non gamers. Just check the blogs titled @operation snake seller@ in my profile which is a poor attempt at attracting new faces to the series... Few comments are posted there and some of them haven't even played the original. I'm sure if I did a blog on halo, it would get a larger number of comments.

I wouldn't say mgs4 will be as popular as the previous mgs games because it's more hyped and as I mentioned, it's attracting new gamers to the series.

gamingqueen

I'd rather money be poured into a game than poured into advertisements (given the fact it was guaranteed to make dumptruck loads of money, Halo 3's modest visuals are puzzling). If that results in a higher quality game which doesn't launch alongside a new brand of Mountain Dew and thus sells fewer copies, so be it.

Despite its singular 2007 sales, Halo 3 has already (perhaps temporarily) lost its place as the most played game on XBL to CoD4.

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2008/01/21/live-activity-for-week-of-1-14.aspx

LIVE Activity for week of 1/14

Xbox 360 Top Live Titles (based on UU's)
1 Call of Duty 4
2 Halo 3
3 Guitar Hero III
4 Gears of War
5 Rock Band
6 Madden NFL 08
7 Assassin's Creed
8 Mass Effect
9 FIFA 08
10 Forza Motorsport 2

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Darth_Tigris

Your post is nothing but an experiment like u mentioned. Everything you mentioned is what all of us already know. I really dont understand the point of this really pointless thread. We all know one game (MGS4 in this case) by itself cant win Sony the console war. uh forget it.

Phool86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phool86
Member since 2008 • 328 Posts
I haven't tried any MGS games myself, but I can see it becoming the Halo of the PS3...TAMKFan
No, no, no!
  • Halo3 is a fast paced FPS, whereas MGS4 isn't.
  • Halo3 is owned by almost all 360 owners, MGS4 will be missing from quiet a lot of peoples collections.
  • Halo3 had a loads of advertising and therefore made it well known to the general public (even my mam knows Halo3), however I have seen nothing for MGS4.
Therefore, MGS4 is NOT going to be the PS3 equivalent of Halo3.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

The funny thing is I think Sony already knows, they won't have the lead this time around. It seems they are fine with it. They are more interested in being the the top high def movie player it seems to me, more interested in being your living rooms media hub than a top gaming machine. You see then they are not limited to selling very expensive to make games, with hard to satisfy even fickle gamers. No this way they can sell any # of items you don't really need. I personally will not be replacing my whole DVD collection with Blu Ray or HDDVD. I bought a few of each the first months, now I rapidly lost interest in either one. I have High Def Cable which is easier to use, and I don't have to worry if this company or that supports it. I might have to wait a few months longer to see some movie in hi def, but I really care very little. As most of the movies I have seen over the last 30 years are pure crap IMO.

I hope MGS4 does great on the PS3, as a matter of fact I know it will. I agree with you that it will have little to do with how Sony does this time around, it was Sony who chose their own fate, they seem content with it. I really think does not care if they lead this time, they have an agenda and they are sticking to it good or bad. I know I'm not buying a whole lot movies, so if thats their salvation I wish them all the luck.

_Bear

Indeed, Blu-Ray is the single most important product in Sony's agenda right now.

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
eh, you are right, but i doubt it will make the PS3 jump out front of it's competitors. No doubt i will buy a PS3 for this though....in a year or 2....if its not out for 360 by that time IFFFFFFFF it actually happens.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="_Bear"]

nopalversion

Indeed, Blu-Ray is the single most important product in Sony's agenda right now.

Sony had the biggest roster of first and second parties last gen, and they are adding more such developers to their roster this gen (and throwing quite a bit of money behind their games). That isn't enough to counter the loss of 3rd party support (like I said a year ago in my blog and I said earlier in this thread, due to its 3rd party support the X360 has the edge in software), but in a time when other first parties are either clinging to the familiar or shedding talent, claiming that Sony is indifferent to the game business is a position not supported by the facts.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

CarnageHeart

I'd rather money be poured into a game than poured into advertisements (given the fact it was guaranteed to make dumptruck loads of money, Halo 3's modest visuals are puzzling). If that results in a higher quality game which doesn't launch alongside a new brand of Mountain Dew and thus sells fewer copies, so be it.

Despite its singular 2007 sales, Halo 3 has already (perhaps temporarily) lost its place as the most played game on XBL to CoD4.

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2008/01/21/live-activity-for-week-of-1-14.aspx

LIVE Activity for week of 1/14

Xbox 360 Top Live Titles (based on UU's)
1 Call of Duty 4
2 Halo 3
3 Guitar Hero III
4 Gears of War
5 Rock Band
6 Madden NFL 08
7 Assassin's Creed
8 Mass Effect
9 FIFA 08
10 Forza Motorsport 2

you call being on the second place losing their place?

And advertising as an essential part of marketting. Konami and Kojima productions are doing none.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
I don't think so, I can't see MGS shifting as many units as Halo manages to and besides if we are going on a game that helps sell systems then doesn't Gran Turismo do that really well? or am I thinking back a little to far to the first playstation here :?.
Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts

Its funny people always go to...MS spend so much money advertising Halo. But Sony and Konami are gonna do the excat same and probably even more money on MGS4.

Difference is...People just aren't gonna care. Its no Halo. It has no chance to be as big as Halo...and will be luck to even match Halo's first week sales from the looks of it.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

hype is irrelevant, halo and MGS might be system sellers, but they are system sellers to people who knew they were buying the system anyway. neither game drives new customers to buy in any mass quantity. that said, MGS is not selling anywhere near what halo 3 did. ps3 doesn't have the installed base.

systems are sold mostly on library and the value of the system.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darth_Tigris
[QUOTE="Darth_Tigris"]

S0lidSnake

Your post is nothing but an experiment like u mentioned. Everything you mentioned is what all of us already know. I really dont understand the point of this really pointless thread. We all know one game (MGS4 in this case) by itself cant win Sony the console war. uh forget it.

Isn't it interesting, though, how many didn't respond to the crux of my post (the PS3 will have a bonifide hit with MGS4, but it will not be THE title to push sales past the Wii or 360. It'll simply be a great, high selling title on a console that failed to capture the lead) but instead to either the thread title or my initial statements?

Yes, it was an experiment. And, as the scientific method demands, I had a hypothesis that people would respond to the thread title instead of my ultimate point. And what can we conclude from the results ...?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

And what can we conclude from the results ...?

Darth_Tigris

You like wasting people's time.

MGS4 isn't going to save the PS3, and it doesn't have to. I'm sure Hideo Kojima would be thrilled to know that so many people have decided that his game shouldn't be judged on its own merits, but on whether or not it can "save" the PS3.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Darth_Tigris
[QUOTE="Darth_Tigris"]

And what can we conclude from the results ...?

rragnaar

You like wasting people's time.

:lol:

Nah, not at all. If anything, hopefully it will help people to realize the importance of reading the full post before responding. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts
Indeed, Blu-Ray is the single most important product in Sony's agenda right now.nopalversion
While I think you're right, I think this is a really bad call on the part of Sony. You can bet that MS is already thinking about the basic architecture of the next xbox, and given that HDDVD seems to be a non-starter, I suspect they'll choose to go with no optical drive of any kind (DVD or otherwise) rather than surrender to blu-ray. With the money spared on that drive, they will probably be able to include a 1TB hard drive in their new console. With enhanced copyright protection and streamlined servers, the obvious medium for MS to choose for HD movies and games is ... no (physical) medium.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Halo 3 sold over 4 million so far, right? And it's still on the top ten charts, right?

Will MGS4 be that huge? Hmm...doubtful.

GTA4 would've been the Halo 3 killer...but too bad Sony lost that exclusitivity. I personally believe Resistance 2 will be bigger than MGS 4. To me, FPSs like Halo, Call of Duty 4, and Resistance are more tuned for semi-hardcore/casual players. MGS4 looks to complicated and hardcore to me, more niche, even though that niche environment is bigger than most niche games.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Not meaning this as a jab at the PS3 but I dont think they are even as many ps3's sold as there are copys of Halo so it has no chance of really selling as much. On a more positive note it looks like a pure slab of sextacular awesome of a game though :)
5_LD_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 5_LD_5
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts
I sure hope it is better than Halo 3, the PS3 really needs it and once this game is released there is not many exclusive PS3 games.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gamingqueen

I sure hope it is better than Halo 3, the PS3 really needs it and once this game is released there is not many exclusive PS3 games.5_LD_5

If this and FFXIII which is now coming in 08 don't help, I will throw myself out of the window!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CarnageHeart

Halo 3 sold over 4 million so far, right? And it's still on the top ten charts, right?

Will MGS4 be that huge? Hmm...doubtful.

GTA4 would've been the Halo 3 killer...but too bad Sony lost that exclusitivity. I personally believe Resistance 2 will be bigger than MGS 4. To me, FPSs like Halo, Call of Duty 4, and Resistance are more tuned for semi-hardcore/casual players. MGS4 looks to complicated and hardcore to me, more niche, even though that niche environment is bigger than most niche games.

ASK_Story

I suppose that depends on one's definition of casual. I think of casual gamers who play games with friends in shorts bursts and love waggle. For such people videogames are replacing 'Go Fish' or Twister. For hardcore gamers an interface which takes more than five seconds to learn is no bar. Gran Turismo was vastly more complex than what preceded it, but the learning curve didn't prevent it from becoming easily the most popular racer of all time.

If MGS4 doesn't put up huge numbers, its because some gamers aren't big believers in second chances (the sales of RE, DMC and MGS nosedived after garbage games were releaseed in the franchises despite eventual superb follow-ups) or because stealth games have fallen out of fashion (the popularity of genres rises and falls). The modest attach ratio of the PS3 doesn't help anything either (I would be deeply shocked if MGS4 sold a million copies on day 1 in any given territory).

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

[QUOTE="nopalversion"]Indeed, Blu-Ray is the single most important product in Sony's agenda right now.ymi_basic
While I think you're right, I think this is a really bad call on the part of Sony. You can bet that MS is already thinking about the basic architecture of the next xbox, and given that HDDVD seems to be a non-starter, I suspect they'll choose to go with no optical drive of any kind (DVD or otherwise) rather than surrender to blu-ray. With the money spared on that drive, they will probably be able to include a 1TB hard drive in their new console. With enhanced copyright protection and streamlined servers, the obvious medium for MS to choose for HD movies and games is ... no (physical) medium.

True, but there's nothing stopping any company from adopting a digital distribution format. Sony (MGM) already supports the Video Marketplace to some extent. Blu-Ray, on the other hand, belongs to Sony. Other than that, we all know the pros and cons of digital versus physical distribution.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

[QUOTE="TAMKFan"]I haven't tried any MGS games myself, but I can see it becoming the Halo of the PS3...Phool86
No, no, no! Therefore, MGS4 is NOT going to be the PS3 equivalent of Halo3.

Reading comprehension = 0.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]3) Mentioning the Wii doesn't make much sense, since casual gamers are a different demographic.

dvader654

Wow, well at least you are consistant.

And of course we all know that only casual gamers buy the Wii, Carnage. :roll:

I see what you were going for, but Tigris was talking raw numbers there, regardless of who's buying what.

This generation is weird. The PS3 phenomenon isn't weird from a historical perspective, and I suppose the 360 isn't that weird, either, given its great software library. The Wii, though... when was the last time the best-selling system had fewer games sold than a lower-selling system?

ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts

[QUOTE="ymi_basic"][QUOTE="nopalversion"]Indeed, Blu-Ray is the single most important product in Sony's agenda right now.nopalversion

True, but there's nothing stopping any company from adopting a digital distribution format. Sony (MGM) already supports the Video Marketplace to some extent. Blu-Ray, on the other hand, belongs to Sony. Other than that, we all know the pros and cons of digital versus physical distribution.

I didn't state it very well, but I guess that my point was that Sony's investment and dependance on Blu-ray's success gives MS even more motivation to move toward digital distribution. Also, Sony relinquishing the lead in game consoles gives MS more clout in making digital distribution happen.

btw: What are the main negatives of digital distribution as you see them? (Imo, network bandwidth and piracy issues should be managable using an always-connected console.)

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"][QUOTE="Darth_Tigris"]

Darth_Tigris

Isn't it interesting, though, how many didn't respond to the crux of my post (the PS3 will have a bonifide hit with MGS4, but it will not be THE title to push sales past the Wii or 360. It'll simply be a great, high selling title on a console that failed to capture the lead) but instead to either the thread title or my initial statements?

Yes, it was an experiment. And, as the scientific method demands, I had a hypothesis that people would respond to the thread title instead of my ultimate point. And what can we conclude from the results ...?

What!

You've just put yoursef in a win/win situation

Scenario A: People agree with you that MGS4 is the equivalent of Halo 3. You claim to have won

Scenario B: People respond by saying your claim is wrong or unfounded, but miraculously it was all part of your grand hypothesis and again you claim to win.

patriots2871

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 patriots2871
Member since 2007 • 21445 Posts
i agree with that
leonjuretic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 leonjuretic
Member since 2005 • 271 Posts
mgs will not come close to what halo was on xbox360...but even tho i love all the past 3 games i don't believe that its gonna be a system seller at all
_Ben99_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 _Ben99_
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts

I believe MGS is not the type of game that would appeal to anyone, In other words, it's not suitable for all types of gamers since it includes stealth and strategy it's like a kind of a complex game. But regarding Halo3 I believe it's more of an appealing game for most gamers since it's a Shooter game and fast paced, in other words, it's more accessible for many. I believe those differences make the Fine Line between those games in sales and in making success for the consoles.