Metro : Last Light, not coming out for the Wiiu because of it's slow CPU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NightmareP3 (256 posts) -

http://gamereport.tportal.hr/227398/Wii-U-ima-uzasan-spor-procesor.html?keywords=vijest#.UK4EK4f8Jll

Had to use google translate, since the website isn't in English so sorry for the horrible spelling and grammar mistakes lol

"Although it appeared on the market just a few days ago, the new Nintendo console is already the most controversial product in the market
In the months prior to leaving the Wii console, many have wondered what is actually located under the console cover, whether it is hardware that can be called next-gen or not. Nintendo is, of course, chose to remain silent, and silent today. But that did not stop a group of enthusiasts to dismantle the console and see what that Nintendo is hiding. Wii U is powered by the processor whose exact strength is not yet known, but it is slower than the Sony's and Microsoft's console. There is also 2 GB of DDR3 memory and AMD's graphics card that is significantly better than those of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but its exact specifications are still a mystery.

Nintendo proudly that the Wii U is the next generation of consoles, but it's simply not true. Around the console except the player for months and spores themselves Development Studies and is quite interesting seeing Oles Shishkovtsova 4A from the studio that very openly stated that Metro: Last Light will not appear on the Wii U console because it has a 'terrible, very slow processor.'

In an interview with NowGamer Olesov colleague Huw Beyon said is that the porting effort to play on the Wii U had to make compromises that would lead to a reduction in the quality of play and it's just not ready.

Although the Wiiu is certainly not a bad product, it is a bit pathetic that a console, launched a few days ago and when compare to consoles that are on the market for more than six years. And it's a step that Nintendo is not willing to release hardware specifications and thus in some way and find out what kind of gaming will turn in the next few years.

The Wiiu on the European market will occur 30th November, Metro: Last Light during 2013. and this year on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 platforms."

#2 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

No surprise. I mean, a supposed "Next Gen Console" who is hardly capable or running the OLD (!!!) games from THIS Gen can't really be called a "Next Gen" Console.

When the "real" next gen arrives, namely PS4 and XBox720, the WiiU will already look like a NES.

#3 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Based on the launch line-up, it sounds like nothing more than the truth, but like the 'Wii is two Gamecubes duct taped together' guy, I suspect the programmer who made the statement will be looking for new employment real soon.

http://www.destructoid.com/-two-gamecubes-taped-together-guy-gets-fired-goes-indie-146564.phtml

#4 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

Based on the launch line-up, it sounds like nothing more than the truth, but like the 'Wii is two Gamecubes duct taped together' guy, I suspect the programmer who made the statement will be looking for new employment real soon.

http://www.destructoid.com/-two-gamecubes-taped-together-guy-gets-fired-goes-indie-146564.phtml

CarnageHeart

It's doubtful they'd lose their jobs. There's a difference between stating a fact related to your situation than just shooting your mouth off.

#5 Posted by Vickman178 (866 posts) -

Its because there trying to program for it as if it were a 360. Slower CPU doesn't equal worse graphics.

Black Ops 2 can stream the game to the tv and the controller for local 2 player without any problems and Rayman Legends runs at 1080p 60fps while displaying on the TV and streaming to the gamepad at the same time, no way that its underpowered, slow yes we knew it was clocked at a slower speed but that doesn't make it less capable.

Not to mention the countless dev's who say it is more powerful, they have mentioned the CPU is clocked at a slower speed but again that doesn't mean its less powerful, If it was really a 3 core Wii processor like some people are saying theres no way in hell it would be able to run the games it is now all while streaming to the gamepad.

#6 Posted by Justinps2hero (2186 posts) -
I feel a bit sorry for the new wii U owners. I would be rather annoyed hearing those scathing comments a week after I bought a new 'next gen' console. Ouch.
#7 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7956 posts) -
Well I'm not treating this as a next gen console. Maybe if it had some good games I'd be slightly interested. It might make a turn around like the PS3 but I doubt it considering I can't think of any reason to buy this when the next gen is getting closer.
#8 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -
I don't like the whole extra screen thing anyway :P I'll stick to my wii and PS3 :P I won't be joining the next gen for ages to come :lol:
#9 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Not to mention the countless dev's who say it is more powerful, they have mentioned the CPU is clocked at a slower speed but again that doesn't mean its less powerful, If it was really a 3 core Wii processor like some people are saying theres no way in hell it would be able to run the games it is now all while streaming to the gamepad.

Vickman178

There haven't been countless developers claiming this. A few have said they think the Wii U might have the edge while others have stated that the system is, at best, going to achieve parity with the PS3 and XB360 and actually does some things worse.

Currently, the system is unable to match the PS3 and XB360 in terms of performance, as evidenced by the shoddy ports of several games that run fine on the competition's hardware. Now this could be a case of rushed ports and haphazard development or it could be that the Wii U has a bottleneck of some manner that hampers it from delivering games that run as smoothly as the HD TWINS.

That said, it was Vigil games who claimed the Wii U offered some great and significant leap over the current systems but by all accounts the Wii U version of Darksiders II is identical.

Regardless of specs on paper, it is clear the Wii U is essentially the same thing as the Wii: a current gen console predicated on a unique interface.

#10 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Saw this earlier at gaf. Pretty ridiculous. We just found out that the RAM they are using is around 43% SLOWER than the RAM PS360 use. And now this. A CPU slower than the 360.

My mind fails to comprehend the direction Nintendo is taking this gen. It seems like they have no clue wtf is going on. I understand that they are a cheap company that puts profit over everything else but this was aimed at pleasing the hardcore. And how the f*ck can you please the hardcore by releasing a system with specs WORSE than a console from seven f*cking years ago?

The more I spend time playing the Wii U, the more it becomes obvious that this is just another Wii. A last gen console with a gimmick. When the next PS and Xbox comes out, we wont even see ports of those gmaes on the Wii U. Maybe the first year or so, but by the time second generation of next gen games arrive, the Wii U would be so far behind, no one would even bother attempting ports.

#11 Posted by Vickman178 (866 posts) -

Ugh I don't have the time for this....

#12 Posted by Blueresident87 (5340 posts) -

This won't be the only game that doesn't release on the WiiU because of hardware.

#13 Posted by ocidax (768 posts) -

THQ Adds Clarity To The Wii U "Horrible, Slow CPU" Comments

"It seems unlikely then that Metro: Last Light will see the light of day on Wii U, not because the system can't handle it but because the team is currently busy on other projects"

#14 Posted by ristactionjakso (6115 posts) -

The oly reason to own a Wii-U is for Zelda and Mario.

#15 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Not surprising. It already seemed that the Wii-U would be worth buying for what Nintendo could produce, but like the Wii before it I don't expect fantastic third party support outside the first year. I'll pick one up for Bayonetta 2 and Rayman Legends, but it isn't looking like I'll want it for anything outside Mario, Zelda, and Metroid... again.

Damn it Nintendo, how are your handhelds that good but your consoles continue to disappoint?

#16 Posted by JuanGrande386 (1115 posts) -

Who really bought a Wii U for games like Metro??? Honestly! Get a PC or wait for your "real next gen" PS4/720. Nintendo systems are for 1st party games and exclusives.

#17 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

Who really bought a Wii U for games like Metro??? Honestly! Get a PC or wait for your "real next gen" PS4/720. Nintendo systems are for 1st party games and exclusives.

JuanGrande386

Which in the case of Nintendo is pretty much the same :lol:

#18 Posted by Vickman178 (866 posts) -

Saw this earlier at gaf. Pretty ridiculous. We just found out that the RAM they are using is around 43% SLOWER than the RAM PS360 use. And now this. A CPU slower than the 360.

My mind fails to comprehend the direction Nintendo is taking this gen. It seems like they have no clue wtf is going on. I understand that they are a cheap company that puts profit over everything else but this was aimed at pleasing the hardcore. And how the f*ck can you please the hardcore by releasing a system with specs WORSE than a console from seven f*cking years ago?

The more I spend time playing the Wii U, the more it becomes obvious that this is just another Wii. A last gen console with a gimmick. When the next PS and Xbox comes out, we wont even see ports of those gmaes on the Wii U. Maybe the first year or so, but by the time second generation of next gen games arrive, the Wii U would be so far behind, no one would even bother attempting ports.

S0lidSnake

You know they were wrong right?

#19 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Vickman178

You know they were wrong right?

I hadn't heard that (link?) but ultimately it doesn't matter.

Raw specs are often meaningless. Supposedly the Wii was, on paper, comparable or even a bit more powerful than the original XB and yet we never saw that alleged power realized.

What matters is what is delivered on screen to the player and right now the Wii U is looking noticeably worse than the PS3 and XB360. Now I'm willing to assume that some of that is predicated on the unstable nature of rushed ports but based on what I've seen of original software thus far I think we can safely deduce that the system, at best, will enjoy relative parity with current consoles.

The assumption by some was that the Wii U would have enough horsepower to be a significant leap over the current systems and perhaps even facilitate next gen games to be ported to the console, even if downscaled.

Clearly, that isn't the case. Even if the Wii U ends up being the most technically powerful console it is still clearly running on current gen specs which means it will once again be left in the proverbial dust once Sony and MS release their respective systems. By placing such an emphasis on the tablet (which is apparently expensive as hell) they've ensured that the Wii U will suffer from the same dearth of processing power as the Wii.

Personally, I was hoping for a hell of a lot more but clearly Nintendo isn't targeting my demographic despite their consistent proclamations to the contrary.

And none of this means the Wii U is a bad system but at this moment in time it does strike me as a very redundant one.

#20 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

JuanGrande386

There were times when Nintendo TV systems had good 3rd party support... (NES, SNES era)

And not every Wii U owner will also have a high-end PC and/or PS4/720.

#21 Posted by Heirren (18722 posts) -
It sounds like the developers didn't want to put the necessary work in to get it running properly. Who wants to take bets that the wiiu gets bbetter looking games than Metro?
#22 Posted by MarkAndExecute (378 posts) -
It sounds like the developers didn't want to put the necessary work in to get it running properly. Who wants to take bets that the wiiu gets bbetter looking games than Metro? Heirren
lol sorry but that ain't gonna happen.
#23 Posted by SciFiCat (1750 posts) -

JuanGrande386
This x 1000
#24 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Eurogamer's tech comparison of the various console versions of the latest CoD supports the consensus view (among developers who are speaking out on the matter) that the Wii U's CPU is a choke point which won't stop games from looking gorgeous, but will limit anything that requires fast processing (including physics, AI, level geometry, lighting, special effects, and number of enemies onscreen).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

The Wii U version matches the look of the Xbox 360 game and thus gives it an edge visually over the PlayStation 3 release, but unfortunately it comes up well short in terms of performance - an aspect that is all-important to the playability of a COD title. The frame-rate variance is such that the PS3 game feels generally smoother, while the 360 release feels like an entirely different game in the more demanding levels. Bearing in mind the commonalities in hardware design between Wii U and Xbox 360, we can't help but feel somewhat disappointed that Black Ops 2 under-performs so noticeably.

True, Treyarch have had years to optimise the COD engine for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and would not have had this luxury in preparing the game for Wii U. Furthermore, on a basic level, Black Ops 2 itself would have been designed with no regard for the Nintendo hardware. That said, we find it hard to blame the developer here - we have seen generational leaps in CPU, GPU and RAM technology since the launch of the Xbox 360 seven years ago, and for the Wii U hardware to under-perform to this extent on such a crucially important game doesn't look good for future prospects. Bearing in mind the specific areas that are causing the most noticeable dips in performance, once again it looks like the CPU is the main bottleneck.

#25 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

It sounds like the developers didn't want to put the necessary work in to get it running properly. Who wants to take bets that the wiiu gets bbetter looking games than Metro? Heirren

Depends what you mean with "better looking".

Better art-style sure (altho that's subjective), but technically better?

Nah, I don't think so.

Wii U's GPU doesn't even fully support DX11 and the Metro series are known to bring even the best PCs on their knees.

But don't worry, even the next Xbox and PS will soon be humiliated by the PC in raw specs (if not already when they come out).

That's console hardware limits for your (not upgradable like the PC and have to be affordable).

Altho it's also true that "mainstream" game development is getting more and more console-centric (due to sales reasons).

#26 Posted by FazzaGBR (7 posts) -
I got a Nintendo Wii when they first came out and it was a fantastic new way of playing games with the unique controller that came with it. The best thing about the Wii is that is wasn't really competing with consoles like the PlayStation or 360 it was aimed at families and parties. Raymans Raving Rabbids is a great example of the sort of market they were aiming at and succeeded in. Anyone hear the term Wii60 or Wii360? One console for one type of gaming experience and another for a different kind of experience. I wont be getting a Wii-U for the simple reason of the new controller. With the cost of the controllers significantly more expensive than ever before I just can see any families having 4 controllers like they could do on the Wii for the simple reason of cost. It's going to be the first multiplayer console where most people only have one controller! Not forgetting the 1GB firmware update early adopters have been forced to do as soon as they plug it in! Not surprisingly it's taking a long while and those they dont know what they're doing think it has crashed (when it's just their slow internet connection at fault) and turn it off and on again - normally this action fixes things, but not when your Wii-U has wiped the firmware before starting to download the new version... I'll stick to my XBox 360 I think.