Metal Gear Solid - Help?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wallacom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 wallacom
Member since 2005 • 221 Posts

I have never played MGS, and I never owned PS3/x360, I always was a PC player and now I bought both PS4 and X1, but seeing as I can't play the previous titles should I buy the game? MGS Ground Zero / Phantom Pain? Should I read about the previous games before I can pick these.

Thanks.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

The MGS story is so crazy and all over the place, just go read up on it or watch a few YT synopsis vids to catch up to speed if you really want to play. I've played all previous games, and I'm still confused as hell on what's going on in the like 50 plot lines intertwined with gigantic plot holes filled up by nanotechnology.

Play the games eventually if you can as they're all fairly decent (though IMO 2 and especially 4 are the weakest).

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Check this out

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2050xm/metal_gear_the_complete_story/

It's very well written and explains all the games in detail

wallacom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 wallacom
Member since 2005 • 221 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

Check this out

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2050xm/metal_gear_the_complete_story/

It's very well written and explains all the games in detail

Thanks a lot, very helpful and interesting summary.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#5 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I think that you might be making a mistake buying Ground Zeroes because you might get the wrong impression about MGS.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Probably, should have bought a PS3 instead of the PS4. Especially, being that MGS5 isn't expected until next year and possibly the year after next, thanx to delays.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

You could probably get a used PS3 dirty cheap now and buy this:

Trust me. You won't regret it.

BiggChonies882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BiggChonies882
Member since 2012 • 126 Posts
@chocolate1325 said:

I think that you might be making a mistake buying Ground Zeroes because you might get the wrong impression about MGS.

Not true. Ground Zeroes is the very essence of what Metal Gear Solid is all about. A soldier sneaking into a heavy guarded base.

Ground Zeroes is so superb in it's gameplay and brief in it's story parts that it's worth giving a shot. If you like it, go back and read/play the old games. MGS and MGS3 are my two favorite video games of all time. MGS2 and MGS4 are great but introduce some perplexing plot points.

Either way. I'd recommend Ground Zeroes to anybody who likes action or stealth games.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#9 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

@BiggChonies882 said:
@chocolate1325 said:

Not true. Ground Zeroes is the very essence of what Metal Gear Solid is all about. A soldier sneaking into a heavy guarded base.

Ground Zeroes is so superb in it's gameplay and brief in it's story parts that it's worth giving a shot. If you like it, go back and read/play the old games. MGS and MGS3 are my two favorite video games of all time. MGS2 and MGS4 are great but introduce some perplexing plot points.

Either way. I'd recommend Ground Zeroes to anybody who likes action or stealth games.

I aren't saying that I am just saying it because of it's length with the likes of MGS3 and other having much more length and also story as well but if he ends up liking Ground Zeroes he would want to play the likes of MGS3 or 1.

JonnyBigBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JonnyBigBoss
Member since 2008 • 31 Posts

There's a lot to catch up on. I would just play Metal Gear Solid 3, really. Peace Walker is important but too much to ask.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts
@wallacom said:

I have never played MGS, and I never owned PS3/x360, I always was a PC player and now I bought both PS4 and X1, but seeing as I can't play the previous titles should I buy the game? MGS Ground Zero / Phantom Pain? Should I read about the previous games before I can pick these.

Thanks.

Wait for a price drop on Ground Zeroes since it's a prologue to Phantom Pain and only has a few objective missions. Here are some great, detailed Metal Gear vids, that will give you the complete story with events leading up to Ground Zeroes in the following order:

The Philosophers and WW2

The Space Race and Big Boss

The Virtuous Mission

Operation Snake Eater

Peace Walker The Movie