Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeroes to launch spring 2014

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Areez (6258 posts) -

The prologue to MGS5 will launch for $30 on next gen consoles this spring.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-launching-spring-2014/1100-6415942/

#2 Edited by Randolph (10113 posts) -

720p on the Xbone!!1!1 LAMLAMLAM!!!

Just thought I'd get that out of the way early on so we don't have to see a ten page long man child fight about it later. :) I haven't been paying attention to MGS5 at all, so now I'm a little taken back by the fact that they are breaking up the game into two separate parts. At first it seems like a good deal, then you realize you paid $30 for one part, and $59 for another, which means MGS5 altogether will be a nearly $100 game.

I hope their are enough differences between the two to justify the cost. But hey, wow, spring 2014. Getting a new MGS on a new gen of consoles that quickly is pretty amazing. Took a year to get MGS2 on PS2, and the wait for MGS4 on PS3 felt excruciating.

#3 Posted by CarnageHeart (18295 posts) -

Sounds good. I hope Kojima overcomes his passion for lengthy cutscenes though.

I'm not opposed to storytelling in a game, but there should be just enough of it to provide meaning to the action, not so much that one can cook a pizza and then bake a cake for desert while waiting for a cutscene to end.

#4 Posted by Randolph (10113 posts) -

Sounds good. I hope Kojima overcomes his passion for lengthy cutscenes though.

I'm not opposed to storytelling in a game, but there should be just enough of it to provide meaning to the action, not so much that one can cook a pizza and then bake a cake for desert while waiting for a cutscene to end.

@Shame-usBlackley

#5 Posted by S0lidSnake (28981 posts) -

Ground Zeroes is launching in Spring. Phantom Pain, the full MGS5 game, does not have a release date.

#6 Posted by BranKetra (46493 posts) -

It is two games, then. Does that mean Kojima was not trolling?

#7 Posted by Randolph (10113 posts) -

Ground Zeroes is launching in Spring. Phantom Pain, the full MGS5 game, does not have a release date.

Oh so this is some kind of shorter sampler game then? Regardless, I think I'll get them on PS4. When I tried to play the HD Collection MGS games on 360, they just felt "off" on the Xbox style controller. I have a feeling they will still "feel better" on the Sony controllers next gen.

#8 Posted by bob_toeback (11267 posts) -

Ah HA! Finally an answer as to what the difference between Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes is. Cool, can't wait, it's looking great.

#9 Posted by BranKetra (46493 posts) -

The topic creator clarifying that would be good.

#10 Posted by S0lidSnake (28981 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Oh so this is some kind of shorter sampler game then? Regardless, I think I'll get them on PS4. When I tried to play the HD Collection MGS games on 360, they just felt "off" on the Xbox style controller. I have a feeling they will still "feel better" on the Sony controllers next gen.

It's just one mission that you saw last year when the game was first revealed. (The one in the rain) The game that was demoed at E3 is the full MGS5 and it does not have a release date yet.

So yeah, they are asking $20-30 for one mission. If Peace Walker is any indication, you may be able to play it multiple times during different time of day and enemies but it's still just one map.

#11 Edited by Areez (6258 posts) -

@Randolph: LMFAO!! In a few months, the graphics banter will be meaning less anyway. By the way got to play Killer Instinct, looks good (better than I thought) and ran very smooth.

I am may just pass on the prologue release all together. Not sure if I want to dish out $30 and then another $70 bucks. Although I m sure fans of the franchise will do so.

#12 Posted by Randolph (10113 posts) -

@Areez: That's good to know. Everyone who has played it has commented on how smooth the game runs, I'm glad they realized how terribly important 60 fps is in a fighter. I hope they have a soundtrack download, they've really done good with each characters track. Hell, i still have my Killer Cuts CD from the SNES version of the first game around somewhere...

Really looking forward to seeing Spinal gameplay and the final character reveal for season one soon. (pretty sure it HAS to be Fulgore)

#13 Posted by Areez (6258 posts) -

@Randolph:

Also played Forza...cars looked insane...A lot of people at the Bud Light tent where the Xbox One demo was being held, were impressed by Forza 5. It was kind of cool to tailgate at an NFL game, and than demo the Xbox One.

#14 Posted by dvader654 (44741 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@S0lidSnake said:

It's just one mission that you saw last year when the game was first revealed. (The one in the rain) The game that was demoed at E3 is the full MGS5 and it does not have a release date yet.

So yeah, they are asking $20-30 for one mission. If Peace Walker is any indication, you may be able to play it multiple times during different time of day and enemies but it's still just one map.

Its not one mission, its one location with a shit ton of missions. This thing will have loads of content, it will be like Peace Walker.

$30 sucks though for just a digital release, current gen digital is $20. Why no retail for next gen?

#15 Edited by Areez (6258 posts) -

@dvader654:

No retail vesrsion because Kojima wants to violate your consumer rights!! J/K

:-)

#16 Edited by CarnageHeart (18295 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

@Randolph said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Its not one mission, its one location with a shit ton of missions. This thing will have loads of content, it will be like Peace Walker.

$30 sucks though for just a digital release, current gen digital is $20. Why no retail for next gen?

I'm not surprised that digital games are scaling up. I'm willing to bet that this gen we will start seeing $40 digital games (the equivalent of full games in terms of size and cost to design, but cheaper for consumers because there is no retailer cut).