Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - is it worth spending money on?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

Or should I just stick with the original Metal Gear Solid 2?

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

It's worth it if you want something extra out of it.

yaopingzhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yaopingzhu
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Yes definitely for the additional VR missions. If you own an xbox360, PS3 or PS Vita, you might want to consider getting the remastered HD version.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

i would reccomend the HD collection if you own the next gen consoles.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

i would reccomend the HD collection if you own the next gen consoles.

GrayF0X786

this

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#6 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Yes definitely for the additional VR missions. If you own an xbox360, PS3 or PS Vita, you might want to consider getting the remastered HD version.

yaopingzhu
My brother got that for 360, which is awesome. I'd like to get Twin Snakes for GameCube though, despite his HIGH price.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

yaopingzhu
Oh wait, so MGS2 in the collection is Substance? Sweet!
[QUOTE="yaopingzhu"]

nintendoboy16
My brother got that for 360, which is awesome. I'd like to get Twin Snakes for GameCube though, despite his HIGH price.

I think I got that for like 20 bucks or something in this really remote area I visited during school band trip. Doesn't have the proper case cover, but still it's awesome.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

[QUOTE="yaopingzhu"]

nintendoboy16

few years ago a shop here was(and is) still selling 2nd hand gamecube games and there was twin snakes for 6 euros. I simply wanted to have it anyway, and about a year later I found out it was atcually expensive online

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

METAL GEAR SOLID 2 HD runs on 60fps and has everything of SUBSTANCE (VR missions Snake Tales, Boss Survival) with the exception of the skateboarding game.

But if you're interested on the original SUBSTANCE regardless, you might want to check out if the PC version is cheaper than the PS2. It probably is.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

METAL GEAR SOLID 2 HD runs on 60fps and has everything of SUBSTANCE (VR missions Snake Tales, Boss Survival) with the exception of the skateboarding game.

But if you're interested on the original SUBSTANCE regardless, you might want to check out if the PC version is cheaper than the PS2. It probably is.

Panzer_Zwei

Substance for the PS2 is much cheaper now thanks to the arrival of the HD versions. Prior to their release i couldn't find it for much less than £40, now it's closer to £5 (which is what i paid for it a couple of months ago).

slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 slamminjammin69

Well I have a Playstation 2 and I prefer the Metal Gear Solid games for the Playstation 2.

And screw fancy HD.

I just want to know if the regular Metal Gear Solid 2 game for the Playstation 2 is still worth having to keep and play or just get the Substance special edition where it has VR missions?

Is the Metal Gear Solid 2 "Substance" version even worth getting? That is what I am asking.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

^Not really. SUBSTANCE has everything the original retail version had and more, no drawbacks neither. So keeping the original release would serve no practical purpose outside of if you just want to keep your copy for personal reasons.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Well I have a Playstation 2 and I prefer the Metal Gear Solid games for the Playstation 2.

And screw fancy HD.

I just want to know if the regular Metal Gear Solid 2 game for the Playstation 2 is still worth having to keep and play or just get the Substance special edition where it has VR missions?

Is the Metal Gear Solid 2 "Substance" version even worth getting? That is what I am asking.

slamminjammin69
The he versions are 16:9, though. Thats a bigger bonus than the resolution increase, IMO.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If your a Metal Gear fan. Yes it is. Go for the HD edition.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

Panzer_Zwei
I would recommend the PS2 version over the PC version unless it's prohibitively expensive. I got the PC version first, and I was frustrated by it. The graphics were a little buggy, and more importantly, the keyboard controls are terrible. Maybe using a PS2 controller via USB would make it playable, but a lot of MGS2's controls utilize the pressure-sensitive nature of the PS2 buttons, and I'm not sure if that's an easy thing to set up on the PC.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Funkyhamster

I would recommend the PS2 version over the PC version unless it's prohibitively expensive. I got the PC version first, and I was frustrated by it. The graphics were a little buggy, and more importantly, the keyboard controls are terrible. Maybe using a PS2 controller via USB would make it playable, but a lot of MGS2's controls utilize the pressure-sensitive nature of the PS2 buttons, and I'm not sure if that's an easy thing to set up on the PC.

For PS2 controller fans who also game on PC:

logitech-gamepad-f310.png

Obviously this doesn't help for the pressure-sensitive buttons but there is no better substitute, it has all the right buttons and it 'feels' right (also comes in rumble and wireless).

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#17 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I wouldn't recommend Substance. I didn't much care about the additional content. But if you want the definitive version then yeah, the MGS HD collection is the way to go. 60 fps, HD and wide screen. As for the pressure sensitive button fiasco, I felt the substitute with the clicking analog sticks in the 360 version was just fine. I never cared for having to be careful of how hard I hit the buttons in the PS2 version.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Considering how cheap it is now, why the hell not? I'd get the HD Collection like others have mentioned though.
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 slamminjammin69

Well good for you and your precious HD. God....

I prefer the Metal Gear Solid 2 game for the Playstation 2. Tried asking if the damn Substance version is worth buying or just stick with the regular Metal Gear Solid 2.

Jeez

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

I prefer the Metal Gear Solid 2 game for the Playstation 2. Tried asking if the damn Substance version is worth buying or just stick with the regular Metal Gear Solid 2.

Jeez

slamminjammin69
Can you read? I answered your question and simply added that the HD version is better. Doesn't at all detract from the original statement of the PS2 version of Substance being recommended.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

[QUOTE="slamminjammin69"]

Jeez

AcidSoldner

Can you read? I answered your question and simply added that the HD version is better. Doesn't at all detract from the original statement of the PS2 version of Substance being recommended.

Yeah, he answered your question and just offered a little extra info. Yes, Substance is worth it.

-Byshop

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
If you can get it on the cheap side, than yes it's worth it. I just saw it used for $30(not sure if that's the normal going price or not) and I would say the extras aren't worth that much.
Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
if you love the game enough yes