Metal Gear fan remake cancelled

#1 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72948 posts) -

Link

A fan-made remake of the original Metal Gear has been called off by its developer, citing an inability to reach an agreement withKonami.

Speaking to fan website Metal Gear Informer, Ian Ratcliffe of the project's development team The Outer Heaven said, "Unfortunately we can no longer go ahead with the project, it seems like the guys over at Konami couldn't agree on a decision so had no choice but to shut us down."

According to a trailer released in May, Solid Snake's original voice actor David Hayter had been on board, as well as developers who had previously worked on series such as Infamous and Gears of War.

Konami had initially given their blessing for The Outer Heaven to proceed with the remake project, as long as they did not make a profit from the project or take donations; Konami even said, at the time, that they might "consider further steps" if the remake gained enough public interest.

It's unclear what sort of disagreement eventually drew the project to a halt.

Metal Gear came out in 1987. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is the latest from the series; in IGN's review, we called it "enticing" and "highly replayable." IGN will premiere a 25-minute demo of the upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain this Thursday. In the meantime, if you'd like to reminisce about the older games, check out our list of 25 things we love about the Metal Gear series.

#2 Posted by SolidTy (44431 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: Your title is incorrect. After clicking on the link I discovered this wasn't a Metal Gear Solid remake, but in fact a Metal Gear remake. IGN said Metal Gear remake, the article is about Metal Gear remake, but you reported it as Metal Gear Solid remake.

Those are two different games. The Metal Gear Solid Game released on PS1 in 1998. Metal Gear released in 1987 and was ported to a host of machines including the NES.

This fan remake was for the original Metal Gear, the first and oldest of the games.

It's pretty clear here in this video:

#3 Posted by Notorious1234NA (887 posts) -

they need to like combine all the mgs games into one and in chronological order

#4 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Title fail hehe.

#5 Posted by Behardy24 (4753 posts) -

Well that's a bummer.

#6 Posted by humanistpotato (533 posts) -

title is misleading

lol they probably shutting it down because they dont want to lose a chance to further milking of mgs

#7 Edited by illmatic87 (15343 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@The_Last_Ride: Your title is incorrect. After clicking on the link I discovered this wasn't a Metal Gear Solid remake, but in fact a Metal Gear remake. IGN said Metal Gear remake, the article is about Metal Gear remake, but you reported it as Metal Gear Solid remake.

Those are two different games. The Metal Gear Solid Game released on PS1 in 1998. Metal Gear released in 1987 and was ported to a host of machines including the NES.

This fan remake was for the original Metal Gear, the first and oldest of the games.

It's close enough. No need to do research and overword a simple correction just to prove someone wrong on the internet.

Fan remakes NEVER go down well. The project will either not be finished due to the lack of resources of a small team using their free time undertaking a big project without professional management.

Or they will hype up their teaser of the first 15 mins of the game to gather hype or project volunteers; word gets out. Then the project be hit with a cease and desist notice.

These people are better off making a standalone mod, or a completely new game.

#8 Edited by SolidTy (44431 posts) -

@illmatic87 said:

@SolidTy said:

It's close enough. No need to do research and overword a simple correction just to prove someone wrong on the internet.

Fan remakes NEVER go down well. The project will either not be finished due to the lack of resources of a small team using their free time undertaking a big project without professional management.

Or they will hype up their teaser of the first 15 mins of the game to gather hype or project volunteers; word gets out. Then the project be hit with a cease and desist notice.

These people are better off making a standalone mod, or a completely new game.

Sure there is. That's EXACTLY what forums are designed for: Interacting with users, educating users, communicating thoughts, coming to an understanding, etc. People are corrected constantly in forums and I don't agree it wasn't close enough at all from where I'm sitting. I own the games in question and there is a sizable difference to the games from narrative to timeline to graphics to game-play.

We are in Game Discussion, right? That's EXACTLY what I'm doing, discussing games.

The distinction to me is night and day, but to each their own. Some people prefer to correct others on legal matters, games they like, sports statistics, history, music, TV shows, politics...it turns out Metal Gear is as subject I know well. Some people's hot buttons are Dancing, Olympics, or Sports. I have a lot of trivia on Metal Gear among other things. I'll let you in on something else: I figured after talking to The_Last_Ride a few days ago about Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid in another thread I was relatively sure he'd appreciate the time I took to break this MGS information all down. Besides, I'm all about misinformation being eradicated as much as possible and that Incorrect Title doesn't help matters. I was just talking to some other bloke a few weeks ago and he never knew there was a Metal Gear 1/2 and it took a few replies back and forth before I finally explained it to him, and even then I am not certain there wasn't just lame trolling going on.

As far as fan remakes not going well, I agree. I wasn't defending or condemning this project, I just wanted Last_Ride to know of the distinction as the title misleads anyone skimming through the forums. I think a Metal Gear Fan remake is very cool and different news than a Metal Gear Solid fan remake because Metal Gear Solid was remade on Gamecube and recently was in the news again as Kojima has expressed an interest in remaking Metal Gear Solid with the Fox Engine. The Original Metal Gear on the other hand? That's not been in the news other than this headline and certainly not on Kojima's to do list.

I still remember a Chrono Trigger/Cross Sequel fan game getting canceled in a similar fashion many years ago like many other fan games. I wasn't HYPEd for this Metal Gear thing so I'm indifferent towards it's dismissal.

I've been at Gamespot.com posting since 2005 and I must say that in my 50,000+ posts (I lost a lot of posts in the GS conversion), I hardly EVER see people taking offense to being educated and corrected by an error, but I saw that today. It was puzzling. I feel it's vital to stamp out misleading issues that are easily rectified, and especially in misleading titles that can affect other users skimming the forum.

If you found my correction attempt was fine, but you took offense on the effort and research I put in the correction. I can understand, but I can assure you that's a learned trait. Behold many similar encounters I've been apart of and witnessed in many a forum and especially here at Gamespot.com:

• User 1: Metal Gear Solid remake TITLE
  • User 2: It's just Metal Gear remake
  • User 1: I know, that's what I said
  • User 3: (Random person) Yeah, he said Metal Gear Numbnuts. learn to read.
  • User 2: No, I meant it's Metal Gear Solid is not being remade by fans, it's just Metal Gear being remade
  • User 1: Yeah, Solid was the first game.
  • User 2: No, there was a Metal Gear and then later a Metal Gear Solid
  • User 1: Are you sure, I posted the link and I'm pretty sure I got it right.
  • User 4: Hey, stop spamming the thread guys!!!!
  • User 5: Who cares about these dumb Kojima games, I hate Metal Gear in every form.
  • User 2: Yes I'm sure. One game released in 1987 and the other in 1998.
  • User 3: Either way, Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid are the same thing!
  • User 2: I assure you they are not the same thing
  • User 6: *Some gif of cats playing with balloons*
  • User 7: *Quotes User 2* I'm prety sure TC said Metal Gear Solid tho.
  • User 8: LOL!

----

After many years I learned to throw in some proof and research to avoid ruining the first page of a thread with this sort of long chain nonsense that potentially could have been avoided had I inserted the proof in the first reply post. It took a few years, but I've got it down to a science unless I'm tired. This is Games Discussion isn't that busy so we can chat though. I'm not certain this thread will go on for pages (save for my posts drawing attention). Unfortunately, your experiences in life and GS are different than mine, so my post was received by you differently (although not directed to you), but that wasn't my intent. I merely wanted to prevent future potential problems by submitting the issue with the appropriate evidence to prevent further argumentation as I know I was right the second I clicked on the thread. The trick is finding a way to convince the TC.

#9 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72948 posts) -

@notorious1234na said:

they need to like combine all the mgs games into one and in chronological order

That's not going to happen mate