Mega Drive VS Super Nintendo:Which one?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Which would be your system of choice?

I'd go with the latter.

#2 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3681 posts) -

SNES wins but GEN still rocks.

#3 Posted by spike6958 (4701 posts) -
I wanna say Mega Drive, because it was my first ever system and Sonic The Hedgehog was my first ever game, but outside of Sonic, I never really got into any of the games available on Mega Drive. But SNES had Super Mario World, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, and the vast amount of other outstanding games that all hold a special place in my heart, and for that reason, I've gotta go with SNES.
#4 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -
SNES seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of the genesis in terms of games and graphics.
#5 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

I have a Genesis already, and since the Genesis came out first, of course the SNES is more powerful. I'd love to have a SNES, but I really dont need to spend the money to get one right now.

#6 Posted by labgamers (4 posts) -
Super Nintendo!!! It's Cool and has a lot of game to choose... :-)
#7 Posted by GAME-QUEST-EX (196 posts) -

I currently own a Super Nintendo as one of my all time favorite retro gaming consoles, so I have to say the SNES.

I am very much interested in buying a Sega Genesis someday, though. It had some cool exclusives back then.

#8 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

They are two really different consoles, Genesis is more darker and moody, Snes is more high pitch and all colorful.

edit: I would say Mega Drive, more adult styled games, graphics are more appealing to me, faster games. I own the SNES also, but not much aside from what you already know about Nintendo.

#9 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

WitIsWisdom

This. I'd hate to loose either system. 2 of my favorites of all-time. But if I had to, I'd go with SNES. The must-have games on it are more must-have.

#10 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -
Genesis is better imo
#11 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

I love both, but I will always love the Genesis more than the SNES.

#12 Posted by Megavideogamer (5315 posts) -

I have both Super Nintendo and Sega MegaDrive. Both Model one consoles which were the best versions. Sega MegaDrive had a 2 year headstart on SNES during the 16-bit console race. Selling 35 million consoles during its lifespan. SuperNES sold 49.10 million consoles. Both systems had excellent games. The 16-bit 4th generation era is my all time favorite.

If you can get both SNES and MegaDrive, But if you have to choose go with the Super Nintendo.

#13 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

Genesis

#14 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

I have both Super Nintendo and Sega MegaDrive. Both Model one consoles which were the best versions. Sega MegaDrive had a 2 year headstart on SNES during the 16-bit console race. Selling 35 million consoles during its lifespan. SuperNES sold 49.10 million consoles. Both systems had excellent games. The 16-bit 4th generation era is my all time favorite.

If you can get both SNES and MegaDrive, But if you have to choose go with the Super Nintendo.

Megavideogamer

actually the number of sold megadrives is unknown, but estimated to be 40.9 million

#15 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
A little bit of both. But id lean towards the SNES
#16 Posted by starfox15 (3966 posts) -

Super_Famicom_Simbol-logo-2D946D0F9B-see

Thinking about getting this tattooed on my left foot.

#17 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

turboconsole.png

Inb4 SFII was on MD too.

Yes I know, but I find it better on the SNES.

#18 Posted by godzillavskong (7891 posts) -
SEGA!!!!!
#19 Posted by AtariKidX (6208 posts) -
Mega Drive.....i like the arcade style of the Mega Drive games.
#20 Posted by Lucianu (9349 posts) -

These two are both equally excellent, for different reasons. Having both is ideal.

#21 Posted by MrYaotubo (2630 posts) -
I grew up with both and love both of them,even though I started gaming with nintendo(NES) I think I would go with the Mega Drive,the SNES was amazing for JRPG´s but if we take those out they were extremely balanced in every other genre(though the MD had a huge advantage in sports games I guess),so in the end I think I liked what the MD had to offer the most,especially since I´m not a fan of JRPG´s all that much.
#22 Posted by MrYaotubo (2630 posts) -

[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

rilpas

actually the number of sold megadrives is unknown, but estimated to be 40.9 million

Yes,I believe this is true,that number I believe includes the Mega Drive developed by tec Toy in Brazil(and in other SA countries),where sega systems were extremely popular.
#23 Posted by StatusShuffle (1747 posts) -

I have a Genesis already, and since the bGenesis came out first, of course the SNES is more powerful. I'd love to have a SNES, but I really dont need to spend the money to get one right now.

Talldude80

That's flawed logic. Also, deja vu?

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Emerald_Warrior

This. I'd hate to loose either system. 2 of my favorites of all-time. But if I had to, I'd go with SNES. The must-have games on it are more must-have.

In English, we would say: "It has more must have games."

#24 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Talldude80"] That's flawed logic. Also, deja vu?[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

StatusShuffle

In English, we would say: "It has more must have games."

But that's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying it has more of them, I'm saying they're better. And it was a play on words. Try again Another48hours.

#25 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

My favorite of the 2 is the Genesis, given I grew up with one, but I'm going to have to choose the SNES. Too many quality games that the Genesis just can't match in my personal taste.

#26 Posted by Valknut4 (392 posts) -

Snes had earthbound, FF6, chrono trigger and super mario world. Nothing could beat that, for me atleast.

#27 Posted by Benaiah427 (1 posts) -
While the two systems look differently at times (graphics wise) it is because of the capabilities of each system. SNES 32,768 color pallete with 256 colors per screen. Genesis 512 color pallete with 64 colors per screen. Big difference and the size of sprites the SNES could produce were almost twice the size as the Genesis. The Genesis however could run at 7.16 Megahertz while the SNES ran at 3.87 Megahertz. Furthermore, the SNES had a custom chip set which could do scaling and rotation as well as 16 bit stereo sound while the Genesis only had 8 bit sound. Therefore, most developers used darker shades with the Genesis. You could almost always spot a Genesis title since they used A LOT of blue to dark purple and black on all games across the board.
#28 Posted by l34052 (3124 posts) -

For me it's Sega, sonic and the streets of rage games did it for me.

#29 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

MEGA DRIVE for sure.

#30 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23459 posts) -
SNES seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of the genesis in terms of games and graphics.YoshiYogurt
lol no genesis master race my opinion is most valid only people with the shaft can have a valid opinion
#31 Posted by luckykoopsie (320 posts) -

supernintendo all day every day is what i play. other than sonic and a few other games i thought the genesis was always behind the supernintendo, not that it didnt put up a good fight or anything

#32 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]SNES seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of the genesis in terms of games and graphics.JigglyWiggly_
lol no genesis master race my opinion is most valid only people with the shaft can have a valid opinion

Making sense really helps when you're making posts.

#33 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

While the two systems look differently at times (graphics wise) it is because of the capabilities of each system. SNES 32,768 color pallete with 256 colors per screen. Genesis 512 color pallete with 64 colors per screen. Big difference and the size of sprites the SNES could produce were almost twice the size as the Genesis. The Genesis however could run at 7.16 Megahertz while the SNES ran at 3.87 Megahertz. Furthermore, the SNES had a custom chip set which could do scaling and rotation as well as 16 bit stereo sound while the Genesis only had 8 bit sound. Therefore, most developers used darker shades with the Genesis. You could almost always spot a Genesis title since they used A LOT of blue to dark purple and black on all games across the board. Benaiah427

Interestingly, the SA-1 chip in Mario RPG and Kirby Superstar was an enhanced SNES main processor running at 10 Mhz.

This brings up the question if the SNES CPU could not be clocked higher than it was.

But it is also said that it's a bad overclocker so it's possible that Nintendo used a range of lower capacity chips.

It's true that many Genesis games looked darker and also had similar sound FX.

The Sonic games were pretty colorful and nice-sounding tho.

#34 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

supernintendo all day every day is what i play. other than sonic and a few other games i thought the genesis was always behind the supernintendo, not that it didnt put up a good fight or anything

luckykoopsie
gotta disagree there, the genesis was a more versatile system and it showed
#35 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="luckykoopsie"]

rilpas

gotta disagree there, the genesis was a more versatile system and it showed

Well, it's his opinion...

I also like the SNES better myself.

#36 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

I love both systems. I don't think I could get rid of either. They both were fantastic 16-bit consoles with incredible game libraries.

With the Sega Genesis, it had a ton of good games. I have more Genesis games than I do SNES games. Great arcade ports. Tons of hidden gems by lesser known developers. And of course the fantastic first-party Sega games including the famous Sonic Genesis trilogy.

But on the other hand, SNES's cream of the crop games were legendary and better than most any Genesis game, IMO. To this day Super Metroid, LoZ: A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Actraiser, Donkey Kong Country, and Chrono Trigger are some of the greatest games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. And with multiplatform games, more-often-than-not it was the SNES version that looked better.

So it's really hard for me to choose between the 2. But if I absolutely had no choice for some reason, I would go with SNES for those cream-of-the-crop games I mentioned.

#37 Posted by AzatiS (7241 posts) -
I was HUGE Genesis/MD , aka SEGA , fan back then so ... Ill say MD all the way ( even if SN was superior sales wise, graphic wise etc etc but ill NEVER EVER forger the unforgetable QQ of SNES fans when original Mortal Kombat for SNES lacked blood and fatalities. WHAT A SLAAAAP! haha )
#38 Posted by Kage1 (6730 posts) -
SNES because thats the one I have
#39 Posted by Gemini_Red (3290 posts) -

Winner regardless of which one you pick, but for me due to my love for Rpg's and Zelda; LttP, I gotta go with the SNES.

#40 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23459 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]SNES seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of the genesis in terms of games and graphics.Emerald_Warrior

Making sense really helps when you're making posts.

shaft as in LG aim
#41 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Although MD had tons and tons of excellent shooters/action games,overall library goes to SNES,imo.

#42 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I was HUGE Genesis/MD , aka SEGA , fan back then so ... Ill say MD all the way ( even if SN was superior sales wise, graphic wise etc etc but ill NEVER EVER forger the unforgetable QQ of SNES fans when original Mortal Kombat for SNES lacked blood and fatalities. WHAT A SLAAAAP! haha )AzatiS

Why would you buy the slightly broken, glitchy and censored SNES MK if you could get this instead:

1058660405-00.jpg

This commercial shows it like it was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUxpxn4a-Yk

:P

Besides, MKII on SNES was better.

#43 Posted by toddyaww (8 posts) -
Super Nintendo system is my first choice firstly.