Male gamers: how do you feel playing games with female protagonists?

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

I'm perfectly fine with it but I know some people who refuse to play games with a female protaginist (I consider it their loss since they can miss out on some fantastic games) and recently when I purchased the Tomb Raider reboot (excellent game, an absoulute must play for that matter), I received some strange looks from the cashier. So how do other male gamers feel about playing games with female protagonists?

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

Being a male I would certianly prefer to play as a male. But I wouldn't be opposed to playing a game with a female protagonist as long as it makes sense. I'd never want to play as a female character in something like GTA or Mafia. Just wouldn't make much sense honestly.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I make a female protagonist in half the RPGs I play and if a shooter lets me choose I'll pick a female character skin. I guess it's due to the fact male characters are so predominant I welcome the change as often as possible.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts
since there is such a dearth of strong female protagonists in gaming, that when given the option, i choose to play female protagonist.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Fine by me. Hasn't prevented me from enjoying the Metroid series, Bvayonetta, Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, or Shanoa, etc. 

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Doesn't bother me in the least. 

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Completely fine. Some of them are my favorite protagonists. Like Bayonetta.

Tomb Raider reboot (excellent game, an absoulute must play for that matter)RageQuitter69

Why? It's completely average and feels like it was designed to be a generic AAA game.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I usually prefer female protagonists, in all honesty. I think being unwilling to play as a female character is some total bullsh*t.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I prefer male protagonists but if a female protagonist is sexualized in some way or at least has a nice digital booty to look at, I don't mind. Ignorant, sexist analysis? Sure, but I don't care, lol.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I don't care, whatever benefits the game.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

it's probably not right, but i consider a male protagonist to be "default." if i'm playing as a female character, i'm usually thinking "is she too sexualized?", "does she fall into one of the the usual female tropes?", or something similar.

if female protagonists were more commonplace, i'd be thinking more on a neutral ground like "is this a good character?" or "is this character a good medium for me as the player?" like i think chell in portal is a good gender neutral character and samus in metroid prime is just a great character. the optimistic side of me thinks that there will be more chells in the future, seeing as she could be of either gender and you'd expect about half of those avatar-type characters to be women.

Avatar image for MasterTankallex
MasterTankallex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MasterTankallex
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts

More often than not I don't play as a female, but that's probably due to the fact that there are more male protagonists that female. However, it doesn't really bother me when I do play as a female.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Should it matter at all? I couldn't care less if or if not.

Same as with Movies or Books with female main characters, just a story of the perspective of another gender.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

I prefer male protagonists but if a female protagonist is sexualized in some way or at least has a nice digital booty to look at, I don't mind. Ignorant, sexist analysis? Sure, but I don't care, lol.

HipHopBeats

"Your ideas appeal to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter". In other words I completely agree.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

I don't care.

I mostly go for the male character choice but I've had a few female characters in my history of gaming.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts
I generally don't notice. It's just window dressing.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
I really wana play Beyond Two Souls and Remember Me !
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
I like it, it gives the game a slightly different flavour and variety is always nice. The new Tomb Raider reboot was awesome and Lara was a great character. Also I obv can't wait for Mirror's Edge 2 :).
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#19 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I make a female protagonist in half the RPGs I play and if a shooter lets me choose I'll pick a female character skin. I guess it's due to the fact male characters are so predominant I welcome the change as often as possible.Black_Knight_00

I do this too. Though I'd say 90% of the characters I play in RPGs are female.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I don't let it affect which games I play but it does lower my concentration a bit. It's like yesterday there was women's soccer on TV and I couldn't really concentrate on the game instead I was like; "i'd do her, her, her & her; damn that blonde's hair looks hot I'd do it. Zoom in on the face, yeah, want to see their pretty faces. Hah, soccer *balls*, haha!"

Or that female judge in UFC that is on sometimes, I only spend like 70% of my concentration on the actual fight, the rest 30% is drawn to her and I'm like "she's kinda tall and maleish, is she hot or not hmm I think that I--- oh fight's over"

applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

It doesn't really bother me, I don't see why it should.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I always enjoy female protagonists moreso than Male.  Males are generic and done to death.  Females tend to be more interesting.  Much nicer to look at too if I'm going to be following one around for the whole game.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

I always enjoy female protagonists moreso than Male.  Males are generic and done to death.  Females tend to be more interesting.  Much nicer to look at too if I'm going to be following one around for the whole game.

Jackc8

Interesting way to look at it. I heard in a review that Tomb Raider was originally going to have a male protagonist but the developers changed it to Lara Croft for that reason, can anyone confirm this? I find it hard to beleive.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

No change in opinion. I'll play a game regardless of the protagonist's gender. In RPG's and such that allow me to create characters, I'll often select or create a female character for diversity since so many action games and the like have similar-looking male leads. 

I love the Metroid series, I've got female characters in the Souls/Elder Scrolls/Mass Effect games, and my preferred class in Borderlands is the Siren. So personally, totally accepting. 

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Whenever I can pick a female, I almost always do :P.  If the character is preset, I don't care either way. 

BottleOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BottleOp
Member since 2013 • 57 Posts
I really don't have an issue with it.
josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

It's simply a non-issue to me, I never think about it.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I prefer playing as a female.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I play them all the time when I can. I would rather spend 40 hours in an rpg looking at a sleek slappable behind then some hairy barbarians unwiped stink cheeks.
Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
I rarely play games with a female protagonist.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I am male so I always like to go with a male character but I don't mind games with female protagonists like Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII or Heavenly Sword.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

The gender of the main character is never a deciding factor to me. If the game is interesting then I'll play it. However, if the game gives me a choice I will choose a male character over a female one. Since I'm male, I find it easier to immerse myself into the role I suppose. But there a lots of games with female characters I like. Beyond Good and Evil remains one of my favourite games to this day. Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider, Metroid, etc are also all great. 

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

I really do prefer to play as a male character, it's a preference I've had since I was young.

As a kid, I always liked to pretend I was in the game, having a male character in game meant it was much easier to imagine myself being there.

Now that I've grown up its just programmed in me, I don't feel quite right playing a character that I cannot relate to myself. That doesn't mean I wont play games if I have to be a female (loved Mirrors Edge and Tomb Raider), but theres something about it for me personally that doesnt feel quite right.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i have no problems playing with a female protagonist in a game as long as the game is fun

if i had a choice like in mass effect or dragon age, off course i would pick a guy because the developer is allowing me to have my self image as an avatar in the game. i dont think its sexist to be that person because i dont have any interest in role playing as a woman.

i can understand the womens need to be empowered and seen in a better light, then i say get in the industry and push for more female protagonist. if the whole lot of the developers are male that really have no interest in making a game with a female lead, it doesnt mean the industry is sexist. people make games that they are interested in, and if these producers arent interested in making a female lead, then its just called prefference. now if they are demeaning women, then thats another thing altogether.

people throw around the word sexist too freely, and women call for equality but they dont realize they are really calling for preferential treatment. a lot of gamers are obnoxious, racist, sexist,homophobe wannabe alpha males because of the anonymity factor. males get insulted and harrassed just as much as women...yet women are only advocating for women. why not advocate for all gamers, male, female regardless of sexual orientation?

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

Dosen't bother me, my only preference is that the game is good. Though I find it weird that some people refuse to play a game with a female protaganist, this is 2013 not 1913

Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
I'm not bothered at all. Wouldn't be put off by a female protagonist nor would I be more inclined to buy a game just cause it has a female protagonist.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Does not bother me. It is not the notion of male or female that can cause a disconnect, but rather the Protagonists personality. Ive playied games where I gave up on the game soley due to the protagonists personality.

In truth Ive met about the same % of really unlikable protagonists on both sides of the sexes. Sadly a trend is to have most men seem like warmongering braindead tincans, and women helpless whiney ut suddenly "finding themselves" turning them into bloodthirsty maniacs out for "the greater good".

Bottom line, if the Devs create a female protagonist that is either really cool and a fairly deep personality then I am all for it, I for example often wished that we would play as Elisabeth in Bioshock infinite because I found her to have more depth and be far more likable then Booker, both when she was kidding around and when whe was serious.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"]Tomb Raider reboot (excellent game, an absoulute must play for that matter)Pffrbt

Why? It's completely average and feels like it was designed to be a generic AAA game.

AND THE AWARD FOR THE MOST TIRED TOPIC OF 2013 GOES TO...

[spoiler]

beating_a_dead_horse1.jpg

It's OK. Everything will be fine. Time to move on...

:roll:  [/spoiler]

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#39 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I've never cared. If it's a story driven game, all I hope is that the writers were at least somewhat competent.

Seconded

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

I prefer male characer because they get to have all that huge spiky sword and an awesome armor. Females on the other hand, most games just potray them as sex objects, wearing skimpy stuff and wielding crazy stuff which would actually deal 0.01 DMG. Also, most games potray women as completely overpowered, which makes the game even less interesting, along with some really cliche and uninteresting personalities. But that is not saying I'm against it, some games handle female protagonists really well and I actually feel like playing them, although in RPGs, I tend to steer away from creating female characters.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I don't care unless it affects the gameplay or my stats in a way I don't like. I honestly don't think about this at all until I see this same question pop up again and again.

isv666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 isv666
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts

I don't care what sex, race, or whatever else the protagonist is, as long as the game is good.  I can be playing as one of the paddles from friggin' Pong and be having fun so long as it's a good game.

That said, if I have a choice (and all stats, etc. are the same), I generally pick a male.  That's solely because I'm a male and I feel more immersed in the character if I can sort of see myself in them.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pffrbt

i think chell in portal is a good gender neutral characterLoG-Sacrament

Why? She's practically not even a character. She says nothing, she has no background story, she has no personality.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pffrbt

The new Tomb Raider reboot was awesome and Lara was a great character.Sushiglutton

Even though she has all of the personality of a brick and her character development happens in all of 2 minutes.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pffrbt

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

RageQuitter69

Interesting way to look at it.

Not really since every other person that plays a female protagonist says the same thing.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#46 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]i think chell in portal is a good gender neutral characterPffrbt

Why? She's practically not even a character. She says nothing, she has no background story, she has no personality.

that's what i meant. she's a gender neutral character that's merely an avatar for the player. she could have been made a woman or a man, but she happened to be a woman. of course, i could see someone getting confused if they didn't read my entire post.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#47 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Don't really care as long as the game and story is good. That's what matters to me
cablemodemx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#48 cablemodemx2
Member since 2003 • 1000 Posts

Don't really care as long as the game and story is good. That's what matters to meThe_Last_Ride

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulu_Lulu

I generally pick a male.  That's solely because I'm a male and I feel more immersed in the character if I can sort of see myself in them.

isv666
I don't completely understand this part. Is it because you can't imagine being someone else or maybe you're so awesome that you don't need to be somebody else ?

as for me I can relate to male and female characters because unless Lara Needs to embrace mother/woman hood then her gender has nothing to do with the task at hand.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lulu_Lulu
I guess what I'm trying to say is, how much of a person's/character's personality is down to their gender ? Is Lara relatable or unrelatable because she has boobs or because she went through something we have'nt ? What would does it say about people who would be able to relate to Lara alot more if she were a dude despite the lack of any gender specific things that happened in the game ?