Main Game of the Year Competitors: The Last of Us vs Bioshock Infinite vs Grand Theft Auto V; Which is the better of the three?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rigbybot127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

Poll Main Game of the Year Competitors: The Last of Us vs Bioshock Infinite vs Grand Theft Auto V; Which is the better of the three? (82 votes)

The Last of Us 46%
Bioshock Infinite 20%
Grand Theft Auto V 33%

All three of these games have shaped this year to be one of the very best in the history of video games, or at the very least the best year since the amazing 2008 (in which we saw Grand Theft Auto IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Bioshock (PS3), and Fallout 3), but which of the three is YOUR favorite?

Bioshock Infinite has an excellent story and fun gameplay, but simply cannot compete with the other two. The Last of Us tells the most mature, well-written story since The Walking Dead: A Telltale Game, and features stunning graphics, sound design, and survival gameplay; while GTA V has as well-written of a story, but of much different content; set inside of an equally (sometimes more, since it's open-world) impressive gamespace, with amazing, refined GTA gameplay, and an unbelievably massive wealth of non-repetitive content. Both are masterpieces, and equally excellent, but I'm gonna have to go with GTA V, simply because I enjoyed it marginally more.

Whichever you enjoyed more, 2013 is shaping up to be one hell of a year for gamers, and an unprecedented farewell to this overall impressive generation.

• 
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I didn't play any of those. :)

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

GTA V gets my vote.

I didn't like bioshock infinite too much. Its a good game and all but it wasn't memorable.

The Last of Us would be my second choice but it didn't have any lasting appeal for me.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Despite the ending, which i didn't quite liked as much as Bioshock Infinite, i think The Last of Us is the better game.

Didn't play GTAV because i'm not a fan at all.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

I still think Ni No Kuni has a chance. i know GTA might get it.. but my hopes are high for Ni No Kuni

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I loved Bioshock Infinite, but it's a bit behind GTAV and TLOU for me.

Both GTAV and TLOU are excellent, but I prefer Los Santos.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Randolph

I have a pretty good feeling Mario 3D World will be my GOTY. Unless I do manage to snag an Xbone this year, in which case it would have to compete with Killer Instinct.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I voted for TLOU and I don't even like it. Just trying to be realistic. Anyway I'm really looking foward to Arkham Origins !

rigbybot127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rigbybot127
Member since 2011 • 269 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: This isn't a post about which will win GOTY, but rather which you like more.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

TLOU is going to win most of the GOTYs. Im gonna bet my third and last remaining nut I've got left to bet.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ rigbybot127

I hated TLOU the least. Hows that ?

rigbybot127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rigbybot127

@Lulu_Lulu: Oh... alright then.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Bioshock Infinite for me... followed closely by LoU.

danny_dm_moore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#14 danny_dm_moore
Member since 2004 • 298 Posts

The Last of Us. Loved Infinite and its crackin' ending, but The Last of Us was a better game for more the time spent playing if that makes sense...

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

Bioshock

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

Naughty Dog really needs to polish the gameplay for their next game. every part of the TLOU involving the infected was not fun at all. Infact all Zombies suck ! Is it too much to ask to kill some intelligent creatures

rigbybot127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rigbybot127

@Lulu_Lulu: Hey, remember, Wheatley exists.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

My favourite title of the year is The Last Of Us. I highly doubt anything will be able to top this.

On paper it's nothing new, but it's all in the execution. The way an enemy reacts when being strangled brought a whole new level of intensity to disposing of them one by one. How enemies will beg for their life or make one final desperate lunge at the player. The way enemies communicate with the player and each other. How they startle when Joel surprises them. How Joel staggers in exhaustion after a brutal encounter. The way Joel gasps in fear and anticipation when raising his weapon. The way Joel huddles over Ellie to protect her in cover.

The foreboding atmosphere and utter beauty that permeates every corner of this game. It's creates a distinctive tone that the game never deviates from. The sheer consistency found in this title is worth noting especially when considering the lack of coherence found in other titles this year such as Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider. Let me also point out the absence of an awareness radial, enemy awareness markers, XP, radar, last known position and other such staples of the modern stealth game. It creates a far more engaging experience that cleans up the UI, leaving the player the most immersive experience possible.

Sound plays a large part, even brushing pass foliage or kicking a bottle on the ground can create sound which will attract enemies to your position. Enemies also react to situations differently based on certain criteria. If an enemy catches you holding his buddy as a human shield he will either react in one of two ways...

A) The enemy has no weapon, he tries to calm Joel into letting his buddy go.

B) He has a gun and threatens Joel, maybe he instructs one of their friends to flank Joel, forcing the player to react quickly in a tight situation wasting precious resources.

The brutal nature of combat is exhilarating and amplifies the tension. Once caught the cat and mouse gameplay is truly something special, mixed with such great level design and a number of crafted items, weapons and moves to utilize. It's a great experience. Such a breathe of fresh air especially when considering the other options found in the Survival Action genre. This easily stands at the top of the heap.

But if you're asking objectively what deserves GOTY, it would be Grand Theft Auto V, no doubt about it.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I voted for GTA V, but honestly I don't think any of them are GotY worthy.

Leftel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Leftel
Member since 2009 • 105 Posts

I voted for The Last of Us, I have played GTA V the first 30 min and left the game and never played Bioshock games.

I prefer games like Total War. However Rome 2: Total war is broken ;_;

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@contracts420: I was going to bother explaining why TLoU has my vote, no point now. Pretty much agreed on all points.

I really like GTA and it's great fun to fool around but TLoU was a ride and I found that, pound for pound, I got much more enjoyment with my hours with it than V.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I had the most fun with GTA. Bioshock was good but not a lot of replay value, and I think Last of Us was a good, but very over hyped game.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@rigbybot127:

@rigbybot127 said:

@Lulu_Lulu: This isn't a post about which will win GOTY, but rather which you like more.

Here at GS, is an 8.0 game really in the running for GOTY?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

None of the mentioned titles are my GOTY.

Bioshock Infinite is highly overrated and i can't believe that its only Tom Mcshea who have seen that.

The Last of Us is good but not great

GTA V - Major disappointment of the year.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Randolph

My GOTY stands as either Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon or Super Luigi U as of right now. But as mentioned earlier, the more I see of Mario 3D World, the more convinced I am that game will sweep me off my feet. I'd love to be truly surprised and give Sonic: Lost World the nod... make it happen, Sega!

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Went for TLOU just ahead of Infinite.

For me a GOTY has to have a fantastic story and draw you into it's world. TLOU did that in spades. Simply much better story, acting, gameplay and graphics than the other two games.

Love Bioshock but the shooting mechanics were it's downfall. GTA, despite being lots of fun, is just another GTA game at the end of the day.

Avatar image for deactivated-59cda6205cc59
deactivated-59cda6205cc59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 deactivated-59cda6205cc59
Member since 2012 • 122 Posts

I liked Bioshock: Infinite a lot, but it felt too much like a refinement of the first Bioshock to stand on it's own merits.

GTAV has extremely fun gameplay, epic in scope and with characters both funny and pathethic, that felt truly believable in their flawed humanity.

The Last of Us, on the other hand, is not only the best game this year for me, it's one of the best games I've ever played.Period.It's story and main characters touched me deeply and I felt I was right there with them throughout all their ordeals.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#28 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Of the two in the poll I've played (BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us), I wouldn't consider either of them to be game of the year. Fantastic games in their own right, certainly -- but game of the year? Eh...

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@dvader654 said:

@c_rake said:

Of the two in the poll I've played (BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us), I wouldn't consider either of them to be game of the year. Fantastic games in their own right, certainly -- but game of the year? Eh...

What is your current GOTY?

Leaning toward Rayman Legends at the moment. Some of the most fun I've had with a game all year.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#31 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

To be honest, i haven't played any of them. But i am voting Last of Us, it looks amazing

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

TLOU is by far the best game I've played this year, but there is still BF4, KZSF and GT6 coming out, its been a great year regardless. My enjoyment of GTA5 has started to dip but I'll reserve judgement on that as well.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#34  Edited By UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I haven't played any of these games, but Grand Theft Auto V is the only one I actually want to play so it wins by default.

My GOTY so far is Fieldrunners 2.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I'm playing through GTAV, and while it's a great game, I don't think it's going to have the emotional resonance that The Last of Us did for me. Plus, TLoU benefits from being a new property; there isn't a whole lot of shiny on GTAV -- even with the changes, it's still essentially the same as the last few games in the series.

Granted I haven't beaten GTAV yet, so that could change. I wouldn't award Bioshock anything except for perhaps graphic design. I'm with CRake regarding Rayman Legends as well -- that game should be on the list, no doubt about it.

Thr33XGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36 Thr33XGaming
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I think it's important to note that most of the time (ie, ALL of it) GOTY awards go to the games that are among the most popular AND highest rated titles of that given year, so to all of you who love your obscure, lesser known titles, that's nice and all but when it gets down to the brass taxes, it's going to be one of the three listed games in the OP that wins the award. What one or two or twenty "counter cultured" opinions say on the matter is irrelevant.

That being said, TLOU has the most weight in terms of lasting effect. The story from start to finish is tragic and gripping and is the right way to tell a narrative story through the guise of a video game, in my opinion...something that Naughty Dog's grown more and more adept at doing. Just wish that the 360 could get their hands on it to see what it's all about, they missed a class there. GTA is gonna do what GTA does, which is excellent in it's own right, but it's been done before. Done right, yes...but still done before. And Bioshock Infinite is a bit too pretentious for my tastes.

It's the game with the best overall experience that should win it, and TLOU is just that.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

GTAV because it's actually fun and the other two suck.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@thr33xgaming said:

I think it's important to note that most of the time (ie, ALL of it) GOTY awards go to the games that are among the most popular AND highest rated titles of that given year, so to all of you who love your obscure, lesser known titles, that's nice and all but when it gets down to the brass taxes, it's going to be one of the three listed games in the OP that wins the award. What one or two or twenty "counter cultured" opinions say on the matter is irrelevant.

I'd be more willing to believe that if Journey didn't win more than one GotY award last year.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ Thr33XGaming "The story from start to finish is

tragic and gripping and is the right way to tell a

narrative story through the guise of a video game,

in my opinion...something that Naughty Dog's

grown more and more adept at doing."

POPPYCOCK ! Most of Its narrative was executed with cutscenes rather than by any other interactive means. Don't get me wrong its a damn good story but its a movie story glued into a video game, don't believe me ?...... Next try and skip a cutscene and see whats writen there.

Oh and Naughty Dogs storytelling prowess has improved cinematicly, but interactively its practically nonexistant.

metaknight36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By metaknight36
Member since 2006 • 458 Posts

I think Watchdogs has a great chance from what I've seen so far.

WinsteadVolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WinsteadVolve
Member since 2011 • 366 Posts

Grand Theft Auto V has more variety and replayability IMO, the story is still focused whilst on a large scaled island, for freeroam, the game gives you freedom, which is quite rare. The Last of Us, no. just no.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#42 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Pac Man Championship Edition DX +

It is time that game got the recognition it deserves :P

Morrydwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Morrydwen
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts

Neither:

Game of the year:

1) Path of Exile

2) Metro Last Light

3) to be seen

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

GTAV because it's actually fun and the other two suck.

kida juggi

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

GTA V hands down better than biosock and TLOU put together.

Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts

Bioshock Infinite will most likely win GOTY.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#47 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I've only played Bioshock so i can't really vote.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#48 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

If I'm to choose between these three i'd choose infinite.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@IndianaPwns39 said:

Pac Man Championship Edition DX +

It is time that game got the recognition it deserves :P

Game of the year for 2010 and 2013? I like it.

If only the PC version weren't so buggy...

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#50 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

I've only played The Last of Us. A game to compliment the story shouldn't win GOTY.