aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

I saw some long gameplay on YouTube of the upcoming Mafia 3 game and something about this game feels wrong.

Maybe it's the different setting, period of time, the lack of "italy feel" to it, I cannot exactly pinpoint what it is, but this game doesn't seem to be what I'd want from a Mafia game.

Also, the takedowns and AI are kind of weird, gutting people with a big knife, while people behind you just mind their business and don't freak out for instance.

I don't know, I hope I'll be wrong and that it'll be a good game as the other 2 Mafias.

Of course it's too early to judge, but any of you guys had a look at the gameplay of the game and what do you think about it?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

Im a Huge fan of Mafia series. Mafia 1 is one of the greatest of all time and 2 is also pretty good i guess. but this game indeed looks terrible, Absolutely terrible.

• Mafia has once a great protagonist in hats and suits. now its just generic thug in jeans and army jacket want revenge.
  • Remove all uniquness of mafia games, chapter system, story driven, linear with sandbox design, simulated car driving, speed limit, realistic shooting and replace it with side missions, explosions, takedown, see through walls, fully open world etc.
  • Story looks absolutely terrible which is best part of Mafia games. especially how GOAT story of mafia 1 was.
  • Make it looks like GTA spin off rather than mafia
  • Director is clown who made star wars force unleashed games

all in all game sound really bad.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I was hyped until I seen the recent gameplay. The combat looks really repetitive and shallow. 90% of the killing I've seen is the main character walking up and stabbing the braindead AI. They don't even react to him. The city looks lifeless, dark, depressing and there doesn't appear to be many side activities. There is also no car customization.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Im a Huge fan of Mafia series. Mafia 1 is one of the greatest of all time and 2 is also pretty good i guess. but this game indeed looks terrible, Absolutely terrible.

Loved the ending of Mafia 2, I was completely in the story from the beginning till the end

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I'm not going to judge it until I've played it myself obviously... but I do agree that from what I've seen so far, it hasn't got me that excited. I kinda wanted the story to continue from where 2 left off... but we'll see.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

The gameplay looks good enough to me and I need an excuse to buy a brand new game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Not feeling like a Mafia game can only be a good thing

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ghosts4ever

@mems_1224 said:

Not feeling like a Mafia game can only be a good thing

aka every other generic GTA clone.

its not a good thing. its worst thing in existance because how great mafia 1 was.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I am not expecting Mafia like experience from this game but it could still be fun in a different way. So, I am waiting to see how the game performs critically once it's out. But from what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I think it can still be a decent game, but you're right, it's disappointing that they have tried to emulate GTA, when The first two Mafia games were essentially linear games by design. I remember in the first Mafia game one of the opening missions had you smashing cars in a yard with a baseball bat, and you felt like a badass doing it. The violence was more personal and not the flashy action movie violence it looks like we'll be getting with Mafia 3.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

I had high expectations, but this is not a Mafia game, not at all. I was enamored by the other 2 mafia games even with all their flaws, they were somewhat cool, cause the story and the atmosphere was very Mafia like. But this one? This has nothing to do with the Italian mafia. It's just wrong, and it's a pity.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts
Loading Video...

Looks pretty good to me.

You have to agree: Mafia 2 was a pretty big departure from the first one as well. I really liked the first two games, and I wasn't too thrilled about the sequel when they announced it at first.

But I dig the new setting, and the 60s will provide some brilliant music, weaponry and still a good timeframe for a mafia setting.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

I'm just worried about the story, that was what I liked about Mafia 2. All this open world side mission BS has gotten boring.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17420 Posts

From all of the previews Ive read it seems like it will be well received.

All praise the story and character building.

I know it is a departure from the original but my main complaint from 2 was fixed. (having a world that felt real)

I dont mind the change in character, it gives the game a fresher feel

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 navyguy21

@ghosts4ever said:
  • Mafia has once a great protagonist in hats and suits. now its just generic thug in jeans and army jacket want revenge.

Wow

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Looks good to me.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Looks fine to me, but I won't be playing it for some time anyway. Life is too demanding at the moment.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3017 Posts

I've never seen The Godfather, And I doubt I'll ever play this poor man's version of gta .

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

I still will probably get this but my big question is .......Can you still buy clothes?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Everyone hated II, so it makes sesne they would remove any dignity they had and flip the bird to what fans they had.

Very bastard.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Everyone hated II, so it makes sesne they would remove any dignity they had and flip the bird to what fans they had.

Very bastard.

mafia 2 did suck compare to original but this game made mafia 2 feel like original game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#22 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

a lot of people complained about the open world in Mafia 2 not having anything to do (I guess they needed a break from complaining about Ubisoft games being full of busy work in the open world). So now they are turning it into a Ubisoft game.

Open world in 1 and 2 was there for immersion, the games were for all intents and purposes linear. I dunno the game might still be good but I agree it doesn't really look like a Mafia game.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Mafia has once a great protagonist in hats and suits. now its just generic thug in jeans and army jacket want revenge.

Remove all uniquness of mafia games, chapter system, story driven, linear with sandbox design, simulated car driving, speed limit, realistic shooting and replace it with side missions, explosions, takedown, see through walls, fully open world etc.

Story looks absolutely terrible which is best part of Mafia games. especially how GOAT story of mafia 1 was.

Make it looks like GTA spin off rather than mafia

Director is clown who made star wars force unleashed games

It takes place in the 60's.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

From older videos I've seen looks a little rough, but I'd still be willing to try it for its setting and story. It's definitely a change to the look and feel of a Mafia game, but still looks like a potentially worthy entry I'd be willing to try. Some more recent videos I've seen show a more fluid combat, so I've faith I'd enjoy the final game. I'd love to get this when it releases, but I need to make sure I've the money to do so. I'm already set to get Forza Horizon 3 next, but I'd love to play this too. Since money is tight, maybe I should consider a big sandbox game with lots to do and a deep story.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I'm still buying it.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 navyguy21

@Heil68 said:

I'm still buying it.

Same here.

Looks great to me

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Probably more console first design and therefore a shitty PC port just like 2.

The preorder bonuses already have me waiting for it to be in the bargain bin.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@LustForSoul said:

I'm just worried about the story, that was what I liked about Mafia 2. All this open world side mission BS has gotten boring.

Yeah, agreed. If they nail the story/characters and make it as engaging as Mafia 2, it'll be good in my book.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

• Remove all uniquness of mafia games, chapter system, story driven, linear with sandbox design, simulated car driving, speed limit, realistic shooting and replace it with side missions, explosions, takedown, see through walls, fully open world etc.
  • Story looks absolutely terrible which is best part of Mafia games. especially how GOAT story of mafia 1 was.

When you said that, you just lost all respect for your reasons this game will be bad. But please carry on.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

It has fucking good combat, worst case scenario it'll be a damn fun game

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@ghosts4ever: "director did SW Unleashed"

Oh lord....this isn't going to end well.

I like the Force Unleashed games - hate to love them more like it, but not Mafia good for sure.

mprince131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mprince131
Member since 2006 • 406 Posts

Oh no! A game tries to do something different. Two games in a series does not allow you to say "this is not a Mafia game" I mean I guess you could but you could also get over it. The makers of a game get to decide what a Mafia game is.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ghosts4ever

@mprince131 said:

Oh no! A game tries to do something different.

game doesnot try to do different. it try to do wannabe GTA.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I was hyped until I seen the recent gameplay. The combat looks really repetitive and shallow. 90% of the killing I've seen is the main character walking up and stabbing the braindead AI. They don't even react to him. The city looks lifeless, dark, depressing and there doesn't appear to be many side activities. There is also no car customization.

Pretty much the way I feel too. Cinematics look awesome, cool premise, interesting era/city etc. But the game itself looks very poor imo. Or perhaps I should say mediocre. There's no unique gameplay hook at all (that I have seen at least). And I agree about the city too. Some shoots look cool, like the Jazz-clubs etc. But a lot of it is def just "depressing", and not in a good way.

mprince131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mprince131
Member since 2006 • 406 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Oh cool can you tell me more about this game that you have apparently played already?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#36 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

This was a dumb read

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever

@acp_45 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

This was a dumb read

This is Mafia

GOAT story, amazing atmosphere, and incredibly unique gameplay. there was nothing like Mafia 1 back in days. it was in development before GTA3 yet GTA3 came out before. the game is better than all GTA, saints row, just cause, sleeping dogs or other crappy sandbox games combine. it is still greatest third person shooter/action game of all time and has not topped.

while now look at this

Hollywood car explosion? gears of war cover system? takedown?

this is not mafia. its not even by same company. game scream mediocre and generic. even mafia 2 which was disappointing was not even this bad.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cloud_imperium

I think Mafia 3 devs are late to the party. Open world busy work isn't considered cool anymore. Too many open world games with filler tasks.

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Johnmclane26
Member since 2016 • 255 Posts

@sukraj said:

The gameplay looks good enough to me and I need an excuse to buy a brand new game.

Same here and i did enjoy mafia 2

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

I think Mafia 3 devs are late to the party. Open world busy work isn't considered cool anymore. Too many open world games with filler tasks.

Perfectly said. Think that's what has happened. Game would have been cool like 5 years ago, now it's a bit late. This market has been crazily oversaturated (WB, R*, Ubi etc)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

People seem to have a big contention on setting. I actually think the setting is a major appeal to me. Looks pretty story heavy too. I don't mind it's a sandbox game either, the world they've created looks great, and there's a great diversity of locations from the looks of it.

My only real main concerns is console optimization, hope they do a good job there.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Well aren't more and more games open world nowadays? What do you mean not cool anymore?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts

Mafia 1 was amazing. Mafia 2 sucked, and 3 looks laughable. I mean, the mafia has superpowers now. Game looks fucking stupid and nothing like the first game.

RIP, Mafia. You went after the people who gladly buy a clone of Batman for the tenth time instead of your fans. **** off.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

Mafia 1 was amazing. Mafia 2 sucked, and 3 looks laughable. I mean, the mafia has superpowers now. Game looks fucking stupid and nothing like the first game.

GTA audience complain about mafia 2 bieng too linear and not enough open world and side mission. they are getting what they wanted.

series legacy is now bieng tranished. you are just invinsible superman in this game.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cloud_imperium

@aia89 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Well aren't more and more games open world nowadays? What do you mean not cool anymore?

Yes they are. And that's exactly my point. Tired of seeing everything becoming full blown open world.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cloud_imperium

@Sushiglutton said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Perfectly said. Think that's what has happened. Game would have been cool like 5 years ago, now it's a bit late. This market has been crazily oversaturated (WB, R*, Ubi etc)

Yes. Not to mention a lot of devs are leaving last gen traditions behind and going old school. cRPGs, Space Sims, Run n Gun, Immersive Sims etc. These filler quest simulators and Ubisoft style UI all over the screen simulators are becoming out of touch. Most people who are gaming for quite some time are loosing interest in these games IMO.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@FastRobby said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Loved the ending of Mafia 2, I was completely in the story from the beginning till the end

I did too. Some people really hated it and I didn't understand why.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ghosts4ever

@Cloud_imperium said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Yes. Not to mention a lot of devs are leaving last gen traditions behind and going old school. cRPGs, Space Sims, Run n Gun, Immersive Sims etc. These filler quest simulators and Ubisoft style UI all over the screen simulators are becoming out of touch. Most people who are gaming for quite some time are loosing interest in these games IMO.

blame assasssins creed success for that

even i hate GTA but many developer didnot try to copy GTA rather now everything is wannabe assassins creed. far cry wanna be assassins creed, watch dogs wannabe AC, batman wannabe AC, witcher 3 wannabe AC, MGS5 wannabe AC. and in future Mass effect too.

I mean this open world from point A to point B is getting ridiculous. so sick of this trend. Now my lovely Mafia series is just another GTA clone. and thats the reason we are allow to get angry.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Why do you always blame GTA for other games being inferior?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By navyguy21

@ghosts4ever said:
@mprince131 said:

Oh no! A game tries to do something different.

game doesnot try to do different. it try to do wannabe GTA.

Id love to hear your thoughts on the new God of War