Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon gets rave reviews.

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22346 posts) -
Sounds like if you don't use the multiplayer it's woefully short yet enjoyable, making it a $19 purchase.CastieI
I hear it's around 12-15 hours. Maybe a bit more if you go for all the collectables.
#52 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -
Holy ****, yes Nintendo! This is the kind of boss fight that I expect from a Nintendo game: multipart battle that requires all of your skills that you have acquired. The first mansion boss is just incredible, guys.
#53 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
Holy ****, yes Nintendo! This is the kind of boss fight that I expect from a Nintendo game: multipart battle that requires all of your skills that you have acquired. The first mansion boss is just incredible, guys.Travo_basic
You got me excited. I will pick it up next week.
#54 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73564 posts) -

This is out now, any impressions. I have too many 3DS games to play so I wont get to it for a few weeks.

dvader654
Only played roughly an hour of it just to get it started. Been playing Lego City Undercover all day. But from what I've experienced of Dark Moon, it's just so much fun. Everything that I loved about the original is here, and I can't wait to see some of the new mechanics in store for me.
#55 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]Holy ****, yes Nintendo! This is the kind of boss fight that I expect from a Nintendo game: multipart battle that requires all of your skills that you have acquired. The first mansion boss is just incredible, guys.dvader654
You got me excited. I will pick it up next week.

I'm just going to go ahead and confirm that the first boss fight is darn awesome!

#56 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

How good is this game!? Its just amazing. There is a new game mechanic introduced practically every mission. There is so much to do in such a confined space, like some point and click adventure game mixed with loads of action elements. You play this game and realize why Nintendo is still king of game design.

#57 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22346 posts) -

How good is this game!? Its just amazing. There is a new game mechanic introduced practically every mission. There is so much to do in such a confined space, like some point and click adventure game mixed with loads of action elements. You play this game and realize why Nintendo is still king of game design.

dvader654
Nintendo needs to buy Next Level Games already, they've proven their worth with this game alone
#58 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Shinobishyguy
Nintendo needs to buy Next Level Games already, they've proven their worth with this game alone

Yup, they reached that Nintendo level of quality. If I didnt know it was done by an outside party I would have always thought it was EAD.
#59 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -
Vader, what do you think of the visuals in comparison to the first game? Some people, like GG, think they are worse in DM. I personally love all of the cool effects and think they're better on the 3DS version. Also, what did you think of the first mansion boss?
#60 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

Secondly, the ghosts lack any kind of personality. I guess thats the only thing the original does better than this game. Travo_basic

The original also has better atmosphere, much better art, better music, better graphics, and a better sense of flow.

I wish Dark Moon wasn't such a disappointment.

#61 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

Yup, they reached that Nintendo level of quality. If I didnt know it was done by an outside party I would have always thought it was EAD. dvader654

I got the feeling the game was outsourced after about half an hour of playing.

#62 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22346 posts) -

[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]Secondly, the ghosts lack any kind of personality. I guess thats the only thing the original does better than this game. Pffrbt

The original also has better atmosphere, much better art, better music, better graphics, and a better sense of flow.

I wish Dark Moon wasn't such a disappointment.

the only thing the first one has over dark moon is better atmosphere and thats it. Pratically everything else is improved, especially the level design and puzzles. Hell it makes the first game seem like a tech demo.

#63 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Yup, they reached that Nintendo level of quality. If I didnt know it was done by an outside party I would have always thought it was EAD. Pffrbt

Well then you seem to have played a different game.
#64 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Vader, what do you think of the visuals in comparison to the first game? Some people, like GG, think they are worse in DM. I personally love all of the cool effects and think they're better on the 3DS version. Also, what did you think of the first mansion boss?Travo_basic

Never played LM so i cant say. i think it looks beautiful. The level of detail in Luigi alone is so impressive, he is like a Pixar character with so much emotion on his face and expressions.  

The first boss was near boss perfection. Felt like a Zelda boss through and through.

#65 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22346 posts) -

what I really like about the game is how almost everything in the rooms are interactable in one way or another. It really does make it feel like an old school adventure game

#66 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -

[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]Vader, what do you think of the visuals in comparison to the first game? Some people, like GG, think they are worse in DM. I personally love all of the cool effects and think they're better on the 3DS version. Also, what did you think of the first mansion boss?dvader654

Never played LM so i cant say. i think it looks beautiful. The level of detail in Luigi alone is so impressive, he is like a Pixar character with so much emotion on his face and expressions.  

The first boss was near boss perfection. Felt like a Zelda boss through and through.

Yes, I felt the same way about the boss, so near perfect. I am shocked to read that you've never played LM. The U could benefit from having that in its VC.
#68 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]
Well the first one also has better art, better graphics, better music, and better sense of flow.

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Pffrbt

Nope it was Dark Moon all right. The game looks and feels right off the bat like a Western developed game. The art is unsophisticated and very basic, like baby's first attempt at haunted house. Everything is jagged edges with "wacky" lopsided proportions with very basic shapes and designs. It kind of looks like Paperboy 64. The framerate is also inconsistent and kind of choppy. That's also something you don't find in a first party Nintendo game.

There is a Paperboy 64?! I need to get that. :P

#69 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

the only thing the first one has over dark moon is better atmosphere and thats it. Shinobishyguy

Well the first one also has better art, better graphics, better music, and better sense of flow.

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Yup, they reached that Nintendo level of quality. If I didnt know it was done by an outside party I would have always thought it was EAD. dvader654

Nope it was Dark Moon all right. The game looks and feels right off the bat like a Western developed game. The art is unsophisticated and very basic, like baby's first attempt at haunted house. Everything is jagged edges with "wacky" lopsided proportions with very basic shapes and designs. It kind of looks like Paperboy 64. The framerate is also inconsistent and kind of choppy. That's also something you don't find in a first party Nintendo game.

#70 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

There is a Paperboy 64?! I need to get that. :P

dvader654

It's terrible, you'll probably like it.

#71 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

There is a Paperboy 64?! I need to get that. :Pdvader654

You do not want to play Paperboy 64. Trust me. The series dropped off after Paperboy 42, anyway.

#72 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
  • Paperboy Image

image_296447_thumb_wide620.jpg

Yep, looks the same.

#73 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

Yep, looks the same.

dvader654

Thank you for making it clear that both games share the same art style where things are make up of very jagged lopsided shapes.

#74 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Yep, looks the same.

Pffrbt

Thank you for making it clear that both games share the same art style where things are make up of very jagged lopsided shapes.

And? You have every right to not like that art style but really? Just seems like a really weird thing to hate on.
#75 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -
i played luigis mansion on gamecube launch while you 13 year olds were still in diapers, THATS RIGHT KIDS IM BETTER THAN YOU
#76 Posted by LAN7ERN (373 posts) -
I can not wait to get it!
#77 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Yep, looks the same.

dvader654

And? You have every right to not like that art style but really? Just seems like a really weird thing to hate on.

How is it a weird thing to hate when it's what I'm going to be looking at the entire time I play the game. The art looks cheap and lazy. I prefer the original game's.

#78 Posted by Gemini_Red (3290 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Yep, looks the same.

dvader654

No point in arguing with him, vader.  His arrogance got his own thread locked, he's been called on his ignorance before and has and has delivered only flimsy responses at best.  Normally I wouldn't intervene, but it would be a shame to see a good thread locked due to one egotist.  

#79 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22346 posts) -
Also the music in this game is way better than thr first. Bits of it are actually orchestraded.
#80 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
Also the music in this game is way better than thr first. Bits of it are actually orchestraded.Shinobishyguy
I love the theme, is it the same?
#81 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

Also the music in this game is way better than thr first. Bits of it are actually orchestraded.Shinobishyguy

I really hate this attitude that being orchestrated automatically makes something better.

#82 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

No point in arguing with him, vader. Gemini_Red

How were we arguing? I was just saying what I didn't like about the game.

#83 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

Might as well add my two cents: Thought the game was all right. Only problem was that it just didn't keep my interest. Felt like I was forcing myself to play a few times. I mean, it's a solid game, don't get me wrong; really wanted to like it. It's just... I don't know. Something just didn't do it for me.

I really hate this attitude that being orchestrated automatically makes something better.Pffrbt

Well, it kinda does, in a lot of cases. But then, I've always been a fan of orchestral music, so...

#84 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

Well, it kinda does, in a lot of cases. But then, I've always been a fan of orchestral music, so...

c_rake

I really don't see how. It depends on the composition of the song itself and most of the time it doesn't fit and it's completely unmemorable. Comparing Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask's soundtracks to Skyward Sword's the formers' are easily better and far more memorable and if they were redone by an orchestra they'd probably lose a lot of what makes them stand out.

Games like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 have this attitude and most of their soundtracks outside of the rare tracks that are either remixes or not done by an orchestra are just these indistinct unmemorable blobs of swelling crescendos and orchestrated noise.

I'll take catchy video game music that has variety any day than fully orchestrated soundtracks.

#85 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

I really don't see how. It depends on the composition of the song itself and most of the time it doesn't fit and it's completely unmemorable. Comparing Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask's soundtracks to Skyward Sword's the formers' are easily better and far more memorable and if they were redone by an orchestra they'd probably lose a lot of what makes them stand out.

Games like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 have this attitude and most of their soundtracks outside of the rare tracks that are either remixes or not done by an orchestra are just these indistinct unmemorable blobs of swelling crescendos and orchestrated noise.

I'll take catchy video game music that has variety any day than fully orchestrated soundtracks.

Pffrbt

I'd rather have both, but I see your point. Great as they sound, I'll admit that Nintendo's orchestral stylings aren't nearly so memorable as the original versions. You could probably blame that on the emphasis they placed on the melody back in the early days (which was born out necessity due to the lack of technology to produce much on the music front). Nostalgia, too, I suppose.

There's certainly a place for it, though. I can't imagine Demon's Souls without it. The style worked to create the suspenseful tracks that make battle so interesting. Its careful, quiet nature wouldn't have worked with any other styling. Journey, too -- a game who's entire identity almost completely rids on its soundtrack.

But again -- I've been a fan my whole life. So I'm probably not the best judge.

#86 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22346 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]Also the music in this game is way better than thr first. Bits of it are actually orchestraded.dvader654
I love the theme, is it the same?

The main tune is the same but it's played differently in each of the mansions. Also they kept Luigi humming along with the music so thats a really nice touch