LotR: Mordor City

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -

I'm reading the cover article for my latest game informer on Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

They're basically saying it's going to be Arkham combat vs orcs, uruk-hai and other Middle-Earth evildoers. I'm am SO fuckin' excited!

I'm a little skeptical of the claims they're making about individual baddies being elevated to bosses based on your playthrough, but if they can pull it off, it will change the nature of open world action games.

Have any of you guys looked into it?

#2 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i haven't read the article yet, but i'm less than optimistic about the game. i like that it's supposed to be open world because i think that's pretty important for a LotR game and how the series treats adventure. i even think the whole "enemies get tougher when they beat you" thing sounds like it could be cool too (they just have to do what most developers of big games aren't doing, which is actually balancing the game so you can die). i guess the first thing that really throws me off is all the marketing speak that is really just that. i mean, LotR is about more than being dark and gritty; it's about the juxtaposition of pure good and pure evil and that relationship.

beyond that, i wish i had a dollar for every game that was supposed to be [popular game X] set in [popular license Y] that ended up being a big disappointment. i'm not saying that the game will be crap for sure, but i remain skeptical.

#3 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament: from the article: "With it's focus on brutal combat and a conflicted and violent character at it's head, some may balk at the liberties being taken to tell a new story at the expense of some of the heroic ideals present in The Lord of the Rings. However, in the past, that unwavering need to retread familiar ground has made many previous games set in Middle-Earth suffer."

It's a good point. Whatever games have come out in the previous gen either retold the story(or the movies) or also focussed on a straight GOOD vs EEEEEEVIL! concept and they've been pretty evenly panned by critics(a couple of those are favorites of mine this gen, but that's beside the point). So maybe it is time for a little moral ambiguity in Middle-Earth.

#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18209 posts) -

Lord of the Thrones, basically

#5 Posted by Metamania (11966 posts) -

So it's going to be another Batman Arkham clone done LOTR style?

#6 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -

@Metamania: Combatwise, absolutely. But the rest of the game, not so much.

#7 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament: from the article: "With it's focus on brutal combat and a conflicted and violent character at it's head, some may balk at the liberties being taken to tell a new story at the expense of some of the heroic ideals present in The Lord of the Rings. However, in the past, that unwavering need to retread familiar ground has made many previous games set in Middle-Earth suffer."

It's a good point. Whatever games have come out in the previous gen either retold the story(or the movies) or also focussed on a straight GOOD vs EEEEEEVIL! concept and they've been pretty evenly panned by critics(a couple of those are favorites of mine this gen, but that's beside the point). So maybe it is time for a little moral ambiguity in Middle-Earth.

i'm curious which LotR games you're talking about that earnestly attempt to portray morality and fate the way tolkien does. there's a big difference between just having a good guy and a bad guy and tolkien's orchestrated and deliberate eucatastrophe. one is lazy and the other is a statement about the power of storytelling.

anyway, i'm not sure that moral ambiguity is any more rare than clearly defined good and evil. it seems that most games with morality systems nowadays want a healthy dose of ambiguity. "shades of grey" has become the buzz phrase for RPG's. even outside that genre, most action games love to tout how gritty they are.

#8 Posted by Metamania (11966 posts) -

@Metamania: Combatwise, absolutely. But the rest of the game, not so much.

Then I'll pass.

#9 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament: I don't think any of them do much besides retell the movies and, in the case of War in the North) follow the same format of Good Guys are Good, Bad Guys are Bad, and When Good Guys Go Bad it's Because of Super EEEEvil.

And what they're talking about here isn't a (cue Captial Letters:)Morality System, but rather a hero who brutalizes the piss out of his enemies, coupled with a vengeance story.

@Metamania: A Punchin' Stuff game with swords? How can you possibly pass that up?

#10 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament: I don't think any of them do much besides retell the movies and, in the case of War in the North) follow the same format of Good Guys are Good, Bad Guys are Bad, and When Good Guys Go Bad it's Because of Super EEEEvil.

And what they're talking about here isn't a (cue Captial Letters:)Morality System, but rather a hero who brutalizes the piss out of his enemies, coupled with a vengeance story.

@Metamania: A Punchin' Stuff game with swords? How can you possibly pass that up?

the movie-based games are mostly crap because they have to fit their systems into the framework of movie plots, places, and all that while not being told by good storytellers with any intention of offering more of a fantasy than all the other games about slaying orcs. however, the movies themselves are great examples of the themes that tolkien based his books around being done in a different medium. yeah, the plotting is mostly still tolkien, but there are expert touches in there like how the timing of a musical motif can express the power of faith.

anyway, i wasn't talking about RPG morality systems to say that this game will have one. i was using it as a widespread example of how it isn't the case that most games only attempt clearly defined good and bad guys. there are lots of games with edgy antiheroes and situations that aren't black and white so a LotR game with those features wouldn't be some breath of fresh air just for that.

#11 Posted by alaimo1 (12 posts) -

I imagine LOTRO is pretty old now.

#12 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -

@alaimo1: I imagine so... what's that got to do with the topic at hand?

#13 Edited by Metamania (11966 posts) -

In a party on XBox Live, You told me that I was violently against it for some reason. I'm not "violently" against it. That's a bit overdramatic for you to say to me, isn't it?

I'll pass because I'm not interested in it.

#14 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -

@Metamania: I'm an overly dramatic kinda guy. It's part of my charm.

I just don't understand how anyone can really be opposed to it- I mean, to me, the Arkham combat system was the greatest thing to come out of this generation. Every game from Batman to Sleeping Dogs to TMNT: Out of the Shadows that used a variation on the mechanic has been total win. So to see one of my sharpest combat challenge competitors say he isn't interested in a new game on the same model is downright confusing to me.

#15 Posted by Metamania (11966 posts) -

@Metamania: I'm an overly dramatic kinda guy. It's part of my charm.

I just don't understand how anyone can really be opposed to it- I mean, to me, the Arkham combat system was the greatest thing to come out of this generation. Every game from Batman to Sleeping Dogs to TMNT: Out of the Shadows that used a variation on the mechanic has been total win. So to see one of my sharpest combat challenge competitors say he isn't interested in a new game on the same model is downright confusing to me.

Thanks for the compliment. That being said, I'm just not interested in it right now. That's all there is to it.

#16 Posted by Tqricardinho (340 posts) -

I hope this brings some new lore from the Lord of the Rings universe.

#17 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -

@Tqricardinho: I don't know if it will or not, but in the article they had a huge quote from the Silmarillion(?) on one page, so who knows?

@Metamania: As King Arthur said to the Black Knight, "You make me sad."

#18 Edited by Metamania (11966 posts) -

@El_Zo1212o said:

@Tqricardinho: I don't know if it will or not, but in the article they had a huge quote from the Silmarillion(?) on one page, so who knows?

@Metamania: As King Arthur said to the Black Knight, "You make me sad."

Well, I went back and read it and it looks more and more like a strategic game in itself and once you get into combat, it plays out like Arkham. Still not interested in it. For now, I'll pass on it, but once I see gameplay footage, perhaps my mind will be changed.

Also, El, you're the one that said "combatwise, absolutely. But the rest of the game, not so as much." So you gave me the impression that only in combat it plays like Arkham, but the rest of the game doesn't. So it's kinda your fault, just so you know.

#19 Posted by RockZillaX (95 posts) -

Looks to be good.. hears hoping