Lost interest in video games ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Johnmike096 (8 posts) -

So lately I haven't been able to get into any of the games , I don't enjoy the basic element : killing anymore :/
Even I tried my favourite games , Still didn't work
Is it just a phase , Will it pass away and will i be a gaming freak again ?

#2 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

Not all games are about killing people you know. If those are the only type of games you played and you're not enjoying them, maybe it's time to branch out and try something else that doesn't involve killing anything. Play some puzzle or sports or racing games. Instead of trying to get a thrill from killing something, try a game where you have to experience a story or explore a world. You do realize there's more to games than just killing things right?

#3 Edited by marcheegsr (2465 posts) -

That's why I switch up.

When im sick of killing things, Ill play a racing game. When im sick of racing, ill play a sports game.

#4 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

That's why I switch up.

When im sick of killing things, Ill play a racing game. When im sick of racing, ill play a sports game.

Good advice. I tend to do the same thing. Sometimes I'll play two completely different games in order to keep the experience interesting. At one point I was playing Dark Souls at the same time I was playing Kirby's Epic Yarn. Variety!

And like others have said: branch out. You might find something new that you like.

#5 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2882 posts) -

when it comes to video games,there's always someone to kill in it,I'm highly undoubted that video games doesn't always involve things like that(this killing event has made a psychopathic person a long time ago)I'm a platform gamer myself,so I could use several mix in that genre. be it a puzzle,or anything that involved your thinking skills,that's how I define video games

#6 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

Check out the adventure genre. The Walking Dead games are very accessible, for example.

#7 Posted by XenoLair (4755 posts) -

Happened to me a few times. All I can say is a change of genre helped, a lot.

#8 Posted by sukraj (21927 posts) -

I love killing things in videogames.

#9 Posted by fully87 (26 posts) -
@XenoLair said:

Happened to me a few times. All I can say is a change of genre helped, a lot.

XenoLair is right, Try a genre you have not really been into before. Its happens to me sometimes aswell. It was Dark Souls that got me into gaming again. In my 20 years of gaming, I had not experienced a game like this before, It was so refreshing.

Last year i purchased A 3DS, it was my first time owning a Nintendo system since the SNES days. That was refreshing also, And brought back lots of nostalgia.

#10 Posted by Johnmike096 (8 posts) -

Thank you everyone :) I'll Try some different genres :D

#11 Posted by xrockerboy (39 posts) -

well when u saying killing im guessing ure mostly refereing to FPS games. i had that phase as well, i think ure best shot is to go for completely different games, not just racing or sports. but games that require other skills as well for example world of warcraft or star wars the old republic in my opinion mmorpg games are the best change ever if ure bored of the typical hardcore games. it also doesnt really need a high end gaming pc for good performance!

#12 Edited by xWoW_Rougex (2752 posts) -
@ReddestSkies said:

Check out the adventure genre. The Walking Dead games are very accessible, for example.

If you bring that game up, you totally should mention the other two great Telltale games: Tales of Monkey Island and Wolf Among Us. Super awesome games!

Neither contains killing others. Especially not Tales of Monkey Island. Hilarious game.

#13 Posted by Celldrax (14551 posts) -

My glory days of gaming are long over.

I kind of blame always having shitty internet for that, as there's only so many times you can enjoy single player.

Still, even most new games fail to hold my attention after so many hours.

#14 Posted by loafofgame (425 posts) -

@Celldrax: time for a different hobby, I'd say.

#15 Posted by murekkep (682 posts) -

I have the same issue. I thought it'll be over when I start working but it's still the same.

#16 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

As many others have said, genre rotation should be utilized. I have kept myself out of a prolonged gaming dry spell for almost 6 years now. Genre fatigue has been documented for a long time, you're not alone.

What types of games were/are you playing? What interests you outside your go to titles?

#17 Edited by YukoAsho (2027 posts) -

I'm going to join the chorus of "dude, stop playing only one genre." Mix in an RPG, or a platformer... Fuck, even a sports game, just anything to keep shit fresh.

Me, the only way I'd ever leave gaming outright is if the whole industry embraced Microsoft's initial DRM ideas... And even then, we'd always at least have indies and Nintendo.

#18 Edited by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

How about games that create things?

#19 Posted by Hed_Creeps (11 posts) -

I've been gaming since the 80's and I can totally sympathize with the original poster. I'm been waiting a long time for developers to come up with something that is truly "new".

#20 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

Look for indie games...there are LPers on youtube that play them, most of the games are exclusively given to them for them to test it out or something I think.

#21 Edited by argetlam00 (6573 posts) -

Try playing Starcraft 2! We always need new players :)

#22 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6006 posts) -

@fully87: Are you getting a Link Between Worlds?

It happens to me from time to time, but when it does, I generally find myself thinking, 'oh yeah, that's why I don't play (genre) games anymore.' So I just muck around with my GI Joes until I feel like playing games again.

#23 Posted by moix123 (67 posts) -

Like other mates have said. You were only into killing stuff games.

Try adventure, puzzle , racing or sports games. you might like that.

You can always start with candy crush btw :p

#25 Posted by Synapticus (5 posts) -

So lately I haven't been able to get into any of the games , I don't enjoy the basic element : killing anymore :/

Even I tried my favourite games , Still didn't work

Is it just a phase , Will it pass away and will i be a gaming freak again ?

I went through this exact process a few years ago when I had just graduated from college. Diversifying genres is a good idea - puzzlers in particular are great for gaming fatigue. You may also want to try multiplayer co-op games with friends (or strangers), or single-player games that are known for moving storyline or beautiful artwork (Bastion, Journey, Dear Esther and The Walking Dead come to mind) rather than tense gameplay.

Honestly, though, maybe you just need a break? it won't hurt to get into another hobby for a little while, and come back if you see something down the line that looks good. It's not like gaming is a high-maintenance activity; your thumbs won't atrophy.

Hope you do find something that brings you back, though!

#26 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

Sounds like it's time to move on for you.

#27 Posted by SherlockH1 (10 posts) -

Genre rotation used to help. Right now I'm 22 and after countless hours of gaming I too am in a phase where not a single (whatever genre) can keep me interested. Been playing the occasional half hour a week for a year now.. and I REALLY wanna quit after that half hour.