Looking for cartoony steampunk games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

So, recently I completed what I could in Fable 3 and had tons of fun with the game (and you can keep your rage and accusations of me not having taste in gaming to yourself). I want more, though. Any games you can recommend that are set in this over the top, cartoony kind of steampunk setting? You know what I'm talking about - one where people are literally surrounded by highly advanced retrofuturistic technology (robots, transportation, firearms of all kinds etc.) and one's coolness is measured by the amount of headgear and military clothing worn by them.

Accepted genres:

• Action
  • Action Adventure
  • Action RPG
  • JRPG

Platforms:

• PC
  • PSX
  • PS2
  • SNES

Games meeting the criteria that I've already played:

• Fable 3 (duh)
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Dishonored

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Dark cloud 1 or 2 on ps2

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Torchlight 2. Maybe debatably "steampunk", and not "futuristic" but you should check out Valkyria Chronicles as a spunky alternate history rpg/strategy game.

All 3 of these have colorful graphics and attitude (as opposed to just dry traditional fantasy or what have you), are a good fit for your genre preferences, and have good reviews. Torchlight 2 is a steampunky, somewhat lighter "Diablo" if that helps with your judgment on that title; Shadowrun is the only truly futuristic one in that list and is the most full-blown "steampunk". All of these can be had affordably on PC and don't require a beast of a computer

If you're interested in an SNES title (or the updated version for PSX) - and since you cited Final Fantasy as a favorite... you HAVE to check out Chrono Trigger. It's one of the best JRPGs ever and has a lot of character, technology mixed with magic...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Torchlight 2. Maybe debatably "steampunk", and not "futuristic" but you should check out Valkyria Chronicles as a spunky alternate history rpg/strategy game.

All 3 of these have colorful graphics and attitude (as opposed to just dry traditional fantasy or what have you), are a good fit for your genre preferences, and have good reviews. Torchlight 2 is a steampunky, somewhat lighter "Diablo" if that helps with your judgment on that title; Shadowrun is the only truly futuristic one in that list and is the most full-blown "steampunk". All of these can be had affordably on PC and don't require a beast of a computer

If you're interested in an SNES title (or the updated version for PSX) - and since you cited Final Fantasy as a favorite... you HAVE to check out Chrono Trigger. It's one of the best JRPGs ever and has a lot of character, technology mixed with magic...

I love Dragonfall (and if you're getting it I highly recommend the Director's Cut version) but I wouldn't call it Steampunk at all. It's Cyberpunk, which might sound like splitting hairs but fans of each genre consider them to be pretty different. Cyberpunk is futuristic, semi-distopian urban genre with a strong emphasis on technology, megacoporations, street gangs, hacking, and cybernetics. Steampunk usually more closely resembles Victorian-era England with an emphasis on "alternate history" technology based on steam. I leave it to the op to see if Dragonfall is up his alley, though.

-Byshop

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

Byshop's right - I'm craving for a XIX century-inspired setting, so games like Dragonfall or Valkyria Chronicles will not do. However, Dark Cloud and Torchlight (especially the former) seem to match exactly what I'm looking for, so thank you for recommending these.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Too bad you don't have a 3DS because Code Name Steam sounds right up your alley.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Byshop: you know you're right. My bad - I guess I was focusing on the combination of magic and machinery and not the era/setting (which I realize is in fact quite important to the definition...). There aren't many truly Steampunk games, I reckon... there's stuff like Arcanum, which is kind of a classic and explicitly Steampunk, but if I'm being objective I don't think its mechanics have aged well, and for some reason I don't think it holds up as well other old-school cRPGs like Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate. So although thematically it probably fits the bill perfectly, I'd approach it with caution

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#8 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Codename STEAM for the Nintendo 3DS is a good example. It also has cartoony artstyle and a steampunk theme.