Looking for an RPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by shadowsxfall (13 posts) -

I have been on a huge RPG binge for the last few months and I am really wanting to try out some RPG's I haven't played yet. For one, I am looking for an RPG with really great character development. I finished up Lunar recently and really liked how the main character really grows to be an influential hero over the course of the game. I really love RPG's that take your insignificant village boy and turn him into a badass magical king. Also it can be on pretty much any system; I most likely have a means of playing the game given I look around hard enough. Of course, I don't want a super rare RPG that will break the bank trying to find. So thanks for suggestions and give me something to play!

#2 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
Persona 3FES and Persona 4 gave nice character development.
#3 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

Fable (PC) i thought did this quite well. Haven't played the sequels though so can't tell you if they go further.

Also Baldur's Gate (PC).

#4 Posted by fend_oblivion (6113 posts) -
Persona 3FES and Persona 4 gave nice character development.Dudersaper
This. And I'd add Xenogears (but character development gets the quick boot in the second disk sadly) and Chrono Trigger.
#5 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

I have been on a huge RPG binge for the last few months and I am really wanting to try out some RPG's I haven't played yet. For one, I am looking for an RPG with really great character development. I finished up Lunar recently and really liked how the main character really grows to be an influential hero over the course of the game. I really love RPG's that take your insignificant village boy and turn him into a badass magical king. Also it can be on pretty much any system; I most likely have a means of playing the game given I look around hard enough. Of course, I don't want a super rare RPG that will break the bank trying to find. So thanks for suggestions and give me something to play!

shadowsxfall

you should try Neverwinter Nights 2 then, you start off as just that and by the end of the game you're promoted to high Nobility and you're even given mini-game where you have a set of lands to rule

#6 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

Legacy : BALDUR'S GATE II : SHADOWS OF AMN.

This generation : DRAGON AGE : ORIGINS.

#7 Posted by chaosclown17 (307 posts) -

Fallout 2 comes to mind, or really any of the Fallout games. I know Fable 2 starts you out as a lowly peasant boy. These don't really offer in cannon character development though.

A good JRPG that might not fit your story tastes are the Golden Sun series. There is some character development in the first and second.

If you are looking for a strategy RPG allow me to recommend any of the Fire Emblem games. Final Fantasy Tactics The War of the Lions also has a wonderful story.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. These are solid RPGs though.

#8 Posted by DeafNYCPlayer (2307 posts) -
Lufia 1-2 Tales of series Star Ocean series
#9 Posted by GreySeal9 (23975 posts) -

Lufia 1-2 Tales of series Star Ocean seriesDeafNYCPlayer

Allow me to pimp out my review of Star Ocean: The Second Story. Great game.

#10 Posted by benleslie5 (7726 posts) -

Persona 3FES and Persona 4 gave nice character development.Dudersaper

This ^

#11 Posted by RossRichard (2330 posts) -

Dragon Quest 8.